Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

What are you eating?

Postby kenzo » Jan 14th, 2010 @ 6:10pm

I love food! I know the rest of you do too. So lets talk about what we stuff our bellies with!

I'm about to walk down to the market and pick up some veggies for makin' Japanese Curry. I already have a flank steak and the roux. I'm thinkin' the standard carrots, (sweet) onions, some russets, crimini mushrooms, plus something fancy... maybe sweet potatoes instead of normal russets? Or pumpkin? Fresh string green beans? Fry up some tofu to put in there? Maybe somethin crazy like Brussels sprouts? Damn... I've just made myself hella hungry...
kenzo

Re: What are you eating?

Postby PantslessJedi » Jan 14th, 2010 @ 8:14pm

I got a crockpot during the holidays, so I'm anxious to try out some of the recipes in there. I might make my own spiced rum soon. :D
PantslessJedi

Postby LiQuid » Jan 14th, 2010 @ 10:10pm

Moldy cheese. I didn't know it was moldy til after I ate a big chunk of it, but I did notice it kind of smelled like feet. I went back for more and noticed it was all blue on the side I wasn't cutting from. After that I cleansed my palate with a BombPop, so I didn't stay sad long.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 15th, 2010 @ 1:39am

^Disgust

The curry was awesome! Almost bought a stock of Brussels sprouts, but they were sitting right next to some Shiitake mushrooms, and I chickened out after I remembered how poorly that experiment with curry turned out. Meal went as planned, roommates loved it too. I'm going to enjoy eating these leftovers for the next few days!
kenzo

Postby sopachuco13 » Jan 15th, 2010 @ 4:38am

I made pantslessjedi's Risotto last night, or a variation of it. I couldn't find chicken broth at my local supermarket. The closest thing I could find was consumme (which I think are the cube things that make broth.). I just threw some shit together and it turned out pretty good.

I'm gonna eat the left overs that have been sitting in the pan on my stove all day. (Don't worry my apartment is like 10 C, which might be colder than my refrigerator.) I might also throw some cheese on some re-fried beans and eat that too. But, after somebody else mentioned Japanese curry I might go to Coco Ichiban and get me some delicious curry.
sopachuco13

Postby PantslessJedi » Jan 15th, 2010 @ 6:05am

I just threw some shit together and it turned out pretty good.

Cooking, in a nutshell. :D Glad you enjoyed it.
PantslessJedi

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 15th, 2010 @ 1:55pm

I've been making these smoothies recently and they're really good.

frozen mixed fruit
apple sauce
milk
honey
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jan 15th, 2010 @ 2:10pm

Mr_eX wrote:I've been making these smoothies recently and they're really good.

frozen mixed fruit
apple sauce
milk
honey

Honey in a smoothie!? My mind is blown!!!! :o If it weren't winter, I'd make one right now.
kenzo

Postby lemon-fresh » Jan 15th, 2010 @ 5:26pm

Pan seared scallops, and a simple sauce consisting of a white wine reduction of the left over pan oils and garlic.
lemon-fresh

Postby PantslessJedi » Jan 15th, 2010 @ 5:40pm

Whenever we have an office party, or a random "bring some shit to a gathering" dealybob, I usually make little flat-bread mini pizzas.

Take some flatbread, chop it up into quarters. Put Pace Picante Sauce (chunky), onto each slice. Put some Provolone cheese on top of that, and add a single pepperoni to each slice. Bake in the oven at 350, for 10-15 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown.

It's a quick and easy snack, and gets requested again and again.
PantslessJedi

Postby Natto » Jan 15th, 2010 @ 6:24pm

Pizza!
I like to draw stuff.
Natto

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 15th, 2010 @ 7:18pm

kenzo wrote:

frozen mixed fruit
apple sauce
milk
honey

Honey in a smoothie!? My mind is blown!!!! :o If it weren't winter, I'd make one right now.

DO IT

Just remember to use more fruit than milk and I think I put in the same amount of apple sauce as I do milk, and go crazy with the honey.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby PantslessJedi » Jan 15th, 2010 @ 7:46pm

You make me wish I had a blender. :(
PantslessJedi

Postby lemon-fresh » Jan 15th, 2010 @ 7:49pm

Mr_eX wrote:
kenzo wrote:

frozen mixed fruit
apple sauce
milk
honey

DO IT

Just remember to use more fruit than milk and I think I put in the same amount of apple sauce as I do milk, and go crazy with the honey.

Honey makes an excellent healthy and natural sweetener, much better for you than refined sugars.
lemon-fresh

Postby deerpoob » Jan 15th, 2010 @ 10:15pm

cooking is always something Ive wanted to try, but I just dunno where to start XD

I recently went to a place in Toronto called "the old spaghetti factory" its apprently the only one in Ontario, and the original one at that, but apparently there are franchises all over the other provinces, I ended up having a seafood pasta, thick noodles, alfredo sauce, shimp scallops and the best salmon ive ever had, pretty awesome!
Currently Playing: Torchlight, Borderlands, Planescape:torment

Procrastinating: Dragon Age, Disgaea DS, SMT Devil Survivor, Assasins Creed 2

Wants to play: Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake, Ico, Persona 4
deerpoob

Postby PantslessJedi » Jan 15th, 2010 @ 10:47pm

cooking is always something Ive wanted to try, but I just dunno where to start XD

Start out with something basic. Meat, vegetables, Starch (rice, pasta, rolls, etc.) Find recipes online (or buy a cookbook) and follow the guidelines. Hell, start practicing for barbecue season. Hamburger, beans, ...something else. :p

The way I learned, was to have someone show me how to cook. I'd help out with raw ingredients, then I'd assist them in the kitchen. Eventually, I figured out what was what, how to tell if something was done, or needed more cooking..what spices went with what kind of meat, etc.

Just as in all things, it takes practice.
PantslessJedi

Postby LiQuid » Jan 16th, 2010 @ 4:35am

This thread is making me gag. Coming from the dude whose only contribution was moldy cheese, this post really needs to make you guys reevaluate what food means to you.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 16th, 2010 @ 10:52am

Honey Nut Cheerios and some Dunkin Donuts Cinnamon coffee.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Resa F » Jan 16th, 2010 @ 11:51am

Master Higgins wrote:Honey Nut Cheerios and some Dunkin Donuts Cinnamon coffee.

No. Golden Nuggets is the only sweet cereal. Everything else is a figment of your imagination.
If you have room in your life for another podcast listen to a far worse one- 4 or so 16 year old Brits talking http://pod.bottlelife.co.uk/tgc.xml
Resa F

Postby LiQuid » Jan 16th, 2010 @ 12:01pm

I just had a Miracle Whip sandwich. I think there might have been some turkey and/or cheese in there somewhere too. Not sure.
LiQuid

Postby darfox8 » Jan 16th, 2010 @ 12:10pm

I just had a Cuban Sandwich(bought it in a restaurant). It was alittle dry but I think that was just me being used to "American" sandwiches having too much of Ketchup/Mustard/Mayo. This only has Ham and Cheese(that's melted really nicely). I think maybe alittle Mustard and Mayo and one pickle that I can count. Nice.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby LiQuid » Jan 16th, 2010 @ 1:32pm

MMMmmm, I'd like to be in a Cuban sandwich!
LiQuid

Postby Konanda » Jan 23rd, 2010 @ 12:10am

I had some leftover chicken Vindaloo and rice with some salad for dinner about 6 hours ago.

deerpoob wrote:cooking is always something Ive wanted to try, but I just dunno where to start XD

I recently went to a place in Toronto called "the old spaghetti factory" its apprently the only one in Ontario, and the original one at that, but apparently there are franchises all over the other provinces, I ended up having a seafood pasta, thick noodles, alfredo sauce, shimp scallops and the best salmon ive ever had, pretty awesome!

That place is good I went there once a long time ago.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Jan 23rd, 2010 @ 1:54am

Old Spaghetti Factory is decent. They're all over California. I never fail to walk away happy from there, as long as I order the spaghetti with goat cheese.

Tonight I had a big chirashi-don for dinner... so tasty. I had to get my rice & fish fix before heading to the land of the best steaks on earth (Nebraska).
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 23rd, 2010 @ 3:57am

kenzo wrote:I never fail to walk away happy from there, as long as I order the spaghetti with goat cheese.

You know how I know?
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jan 23rd, 2010 @ 6:20am

Ok, how does this sound for breakfast guys: Spaghetti and meatballs, only instead of spaghetti (or a pasta alternative) I'm going to use PIZZA ROLLS. So basically a bowl of pizza rolls and meatballs covered in spaghetti sauce. This sounds like the best fucking idea ever. I'll give it a whirl and report back later after digestion!
LiQuid

Postby PantslessJedi » Jan 23rd, 2010 @ 7:29am

oh gods. that turns my stomach just thinking about it.
PantslessJedi

Postby LiQuid » Jan 23rd, 2010 @ 9:38am

Wuss! It was amazing! I must be some kind of fucking genius!
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 23rd, 2010 @ 11:28am

LiQuid wrote:Ok, how does this sound for breakfast guys: Spaghetti and meatballs, only instead of spaghetti (or a pasta alternative) I'm going to use PIZZA ROLLS. So basically a bowl of pizza rolls and meatballs covered in spaghetti sauce. This sounds like the best fucking idea ever. I'll give it a whirl and report back later after digestion!

Would this work with bagel bites instead of pizza rolls?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jan 23rd, 2010 @ 12:53pm

It very well might. My reasoning for using Pizza Rolls (aside from them being what I had on hand) is to minimize the amount of starches in the dish. They have the highest concentration of meat/cheese/sauce to carbohydrate among pizza related snacks, to my knowledge.

No I'm not on a diet. I just make it a habit to consume as much meat, cheese and sauce as I possibly can. Basically flip the food pyramid upside down and you've got my diet.
LiQuid

Next
Forum Statistics