Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: VIDEOS from THE INTERNETS!!!

Postby Bobloblaw » Aug 11th, 2010 @ 9:36am

kenzo wrote:I saw this on the news. There's nothing scarier than white trash.

It is pretty scary that people are still watching the news. What was the snazzy headline?
Bobloblaw

Postby kenzo » Aug 11th, 2010 @ 10:27am

Bobloblaw wrote:It is pretty scary that people are still watching the news.

Is that a joke? Because in all honesty, I'm seriously terrified that people don't follow the news anymore.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 11th, 2010 @ 11:25am

You get more news in 5 minutes on the internet than you'll get in a week watching the news on TV.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Bobloblaw » Aug 11th, 2010 @ 11:42am

kenzo wrote:Is that a joke? Because in all honesty, I'm seriously terrified that people don't follow the news anymore.

I am up on current events. I find news programs to be sensationalist garbage with the weather.
Bobloblaw

Postby flufflogic » Aug 13th, 2010 @ 1:30pm

Mr_eX wrote:You get more news in 5 minutes on the internet than you'll get in a week watching the news on TV.

You'll get more news on one Daily Show than you'll get in a year on the actual news...
flufflogic

Postby kenzo » Aug 13th, 2010 @ 2:46pm

flufflogic wrote:You'll get more news on one Daily Show than you'll get in a year on the actual news...
God damnit fluffy. Sometimes I love you, other times you say crap like this that is just baffling. Yes, a lot of local and cable news is sensationalist garbage that is less a dispassionate reporting of events, and more a report of the reactions of retards to events. But there's still plenty of good, honest, in depth sources of news out there, and to discredit those places and group them into the cesspool with other news outlets with a statement like that is just ig'nant.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 13th, 2010 @ 6:22pm

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 13th, 2010 @ 6:40pm

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby flufflogic » Aug 14th, 2010 @ 1:32am

kenzo wrote:
flufflogic wrote:You'll get more news on one Daily Show than you'll get in a year on the actual news...
God damnit fluffy. Sometimes I love you, other times you say crap like this that is just baffling. Yes, a lot of local and cable news is sensationalist garbage that is less a dispassionate reporting of events, and more a report of the reactions of retards to events. But there's still plenty of good, honest, in depth sources of news out there, and to discredit those places and group them into the cesspool with other news outlets with a statement like that is just ig'nant.

Well, take for instance this crap about a mosque at Ground Zero. For one, it's not a mosque, it's a cultural centre. For another, it's not at Ground Zero, it's blocks away. For yet another, there's been a mosque closer than the new one there for 15 years. And yet, none of this ever crops up on standard news, not even here in the UK. It's amazing how low journalism standards on major news channels have got now they have rolling 24 hour news and it's about the scoops.

I did say actual news, by which I mean the main channels. I still maintain the only way to get real news these days is localised channels, who tend to dig deeper due to their lack of any chance to scoop something.

I agree, though, there are still plenty of good sources; they just tend not to be big.
flufflogic

Postby kenzo » Aug 14th, 2010 @ 12:13pm

flufflogic wrote:...And yet, none of this ever crops up on standard news, not even here in the UK. It's amazing how low journalism standards on major news channels have got now they have rolling 24 hour news and it's about the scoops.

I did say actual news, by which I mean the main channels. I still maintain the only way to get real news these days is localised channels, who tend to dig deeper due to their lack of any chance to scoop something.

I agree, though, there are still plenty of good sources; they just tend not to be big.
I don't think listening to the PBS News Hour with Jim Lehrer, or flipping on NPR for a few minutes while driving somewhere in the car really counts as obscure, or not a major channel/source of the news. Nor are they localized (local news in the US is worse than cable channel news).
kenzo

Postby flufflogic » Aug 14th, 2010 @ 12:45pm

Then I certainly wish we got them in the UK!
flufflogic

Postby kenzo » Aug 14th, 2010 @ 1:00pm

flufflogic wrote:Then I certainly wish we got them in the UK!

Most of the national NPR segments are available for free download all over the place. Full episodes of Jim Lehrer's NewsHour is available for free steaming on the PBS website as well. Hopefully, you're not locked out like with Hulu or whatnot.
kenzo

Postby flufflogic » Aug 15th, 2010 @ 2:22pm

I'll have to give it a shot.

Just finished reading the full run of Metropolitan, so how news works and finding a good source for it has suddenly got back on my agenda.
flufflogic

Postby Bobloblaw » Aug 17th, 2010 @ 7:07am

Topical

Bobloblaw

Postby dabeast0976 » Aug 17th, 2010 @ 9:50am

Do not take time off if you work at Sega.

edit: for some reason i can't get the embed code to work so click this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osrUYdOv ... _embedded#!

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/osrUYdOv8-w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/osrUYdOv8-w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby kenzo » Aug 17th, 2010 @ 10:49am

dabeast0976 wrote:Do not take time off if you work at Sega.

edit: for some reason i can't get the embed code to work so click this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osrUYdOv ... _embedded#!

Is... is this serious???? Are you fucking kidding me???? This video explains a lot of things:

1.) It's no wonder Sega's SF studio closed down.
2.) It's no wonder Sega's better games fly completely under the radar with little to no PR. So these are the people I have to blame for Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles under performing...
kenzo

Postby Bobloblaw » Aug 17th, 2010 @ 11:09am

I like that they turned his cube into the Green Hills Zone, still reliving the glory days.
Bobloblaw

Postby dabeast0976 » Aug 17th, 2010 @ 11:36am

kenzo wrote:
dabeast0976 wrote:Do not take time off if you work at Sega.

Is... is this serious???? Are you fucking kidding me???? This video explains a lot of things:

1.) It's no wonder Sega's SF studio closed down.
2.) It's no wonder Sega's better games fly completely under the radar with little to no PR. So these are the people I have to blame for Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles under performing...

Yes it's serious. And why the hell shouldn't they have a little fun? I work for a toy company and while we work hard and long hours (especially before NY, HK and Dallas Toy Fairs) we do have fun in the office (when the boss/owners aren't around). Mostly with Nerf guns (no i don't work for Nerf/hasbro). Put so many rubberbands around a Nerf N-Strike EX-3 that we got a whistler dart to go up to 60 feet with accuracy.

And the SF office closed because the games were horrible. Even for movie tie in games they still sucked.
dabeast0976

Postby Bobloblaw » Aug 17th, 2010 @ 11:47am

dabeast0976 wrote:Yes it's serious. And why the hell shouldn't they have a little fun? I work for a toy company and while we work hard and long hours (especially before NY, HK and Dallas Toy Fairs) we do have fun in the office (when the boss/owners aren't around). Mostly with Nerf guns (no i don't work for Nerf/hasbro). Put so many rubberbands around a Nerf N-Strike EX-3 that we got a whistler dart to go up to 60 feet with accuracy.

And the SF office closed because the games were horrible. Even for movie tie in games they still sucked.

Wait a minute... are you implying there is a correlation between toys and fun?
Bobloblaw

Postby kenzo » Aug 17th, 2010 @ 11:54am

dabeast0976 wrote:Yes it's serious. And why the hell shouldn't they have a little fun? I work for a toy company and while we work hard and long hours (especially before NY, HK and Dallas Toy Fairs) we do have fun in the office (when the boss/owners aren't around). Mostly with Nerf guns (no i don't work for Nerf/hasbro). Put so many rubberbands around a Nerf N-Strike EX-3 that we got a whistler dart to go up to 60 feet with accuracy.

Shooting nerf guns around for a few minutes during a dead time of the day is a little different than half a dozen people completely stopping work, clearing everything out of a cubicle, making an elaborate model, recording it all, and then doing the necessary video editing to show it all off. Not to mention now that guy has to fix his cubicle, get rid of all that junk, and put back and/or replace everything that went missing before he can get back to work.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Aug 17th, 2010 @ 12:10pm

Anybody else getting a sense that Kenzo might be a laid off Sega employee?
LiQuid

Postby dabeast0976 » Aug 17th, 2010 @ 12:16pm

kenzo wrote:Shooting nerf guns around for a few minutes during a dead time of the day is a little different than half a dozen people completely stopping work, clearing everything out of a cubicle, making an elaborate model, recording it all, and then doing the necessary video editing to show it all off. Not to mention now that guy has to fix his cubicle, get rid of all that junk, and put back and/or replace everything that went missing before he can get back to work.

Well, it wasn't a few minutes. We were broken down from days of prep work and decided to mod some guns. Still looking for that perfect spring for the Maverick...

If you looked at the video different people were doing different things at different times. It took a total of 8 hours over two weeks. How many days productivity are lost during March Madness, the World Cup or playing fantasy football? ;)

Don't worry. When you eventually graduate and get a job you will see how much stress you will have and need something like this. These people just have the wherewithal and the creative talent to do something really cool.
dabeast0976

Postby dabeast0976 » Aug 17th, 2010 @ 12:18pm

Bobloblaw wrote:Wait a minute... are you implying there is a correlation between toys and fun?

Why would i imply that? :lol:

LiQuid wrote:Anybody else getting a sense that Kenzo might be a laid off Sega employee?

I'm getting the sense that he never had to earn a paycheck in a stressful environment. He is truly being a buzzkill.
dabeast0976

Postby kenzo » Aug 17th, 2010 @ 12:19pm

LiQuid wrote:Anybody else getting a sense that Kenzo might be a laid off Sega employee?

I wish LiQuid, then I would qualify for that sweet government cheddar. :lol:
kenzo

Postby lemon-fresh » Aug 17th, 2010 @ 12:20pm

kenzo seems like he'd be a real downer in an office/work environment....

"heyyyyy guys, we should be working"..... Afterwards he wonders why he's eating lunch by himself.
;)
lemon-fresh

Postby kenzo » Aug 17th, 2010 @ 2:02pm

lemon-fresh wrote:kenzo seems like he'd be a real downer in an office/work environment....

"heyyyyy guys, we should be working"..... Afterwards he wonders why he's eating lunch by himself.
;)
Hahaha, in reality, it's actually the opposite. My comments merely stem from two facts:
1.) That I'm insanely jealous of those people; I know I'd get fired if I tried the same shit.
2.) Fun and games are fun and games, but not when these shenanigans fuck with my favorite videogames. If I never end up getting Yakuza 4, I know who to blame, that's all.
kenzo

Postby dabeast0976 » Aug 17th, 2010 @ 4:52pm

kenzo wrote:
lemon-fresh wrote:kenzo seems like he'd be a real downer in an office/work environment....

;)
Hahaha, in reality, it's actually the opposite. My comments merely stem from two facts:
1.) That I'm insanely jealous of those people; I know I'd get fired if I tried the same shit.
2.) Fun and games are fun and games, but not when these shenanigans fuck with my favorite videogames. If I never end up getting Yakuza 4, I know who to blame, that's all.

1. green is sooo your color. i remeber when we bought a 5 foot tall stuffed spider-man from the toy biz office about 5 years ago. we set it up around the office. The reception, the waiting area, the owner's office...
2. you mean blame the suits in japan who decide at the last minut to release the new yakuza in the US, thereby killing any chance of the game having a successful launch because there is not enough time to properly advertise for it?
dabeast0976

Postby kenzo » Aug 17th, 2010 @ 5:26pm

dabeast0976 wrote:1. green is sooo your color. i remeber when we bought a 5 foot tall stuffed spider-man from the toy biz office about 5 years ago. we set it up around the office. The reception, the waiting area, the owner's office...
2. you mean blame the suits in japan who decide at the last minut to release the new yakuza in the US, thereby killing any chance of the game having a successful launch because there is not enough time to properly advertise for it?

1.) Damn!
2.) The suits in Japan pulled out all the stops for localizing the first Yakuza. But they must be completely hands off when it comes to how they handle PR in the US. In Japan, new Sega games get crazy adds everywhere, for even the shitty games. I don't remember seeing a single commercial, print ad, or billboard for any Yakuza game, let alone the first. They either don't allocate a budget for publicizing US releases (which I don't think is the case, given how many Sonic Racing or Mario & Sonic at the Olympics adds I've seen), or their US branch that handles PR is incompetent.
kenzo

Postby flufflogic » Aug 18th, 2010 @ 3:44am

kenzo wrote:The suits in Japan pulled out all the stops for localizing the first Yakuza. But they must be completely hands off when it comes to how they handle PR in the US. In Japan, new Sega games get crazy adds everywhere, for even the shitty games. I don't remember seeing a single commercial, print ad, or billboard for any Yakuza game, let alone the first. They either don't allocate a budget for publicizing US releases (which I don't think is the case, given how many Sonic Racing or Mario & Sonic at the Olympics adds I've seen), or their US branch that handles PR is incompetent.

Same in the UK; game came out, sold nowt, not a single ad ever seen anywhere.
flufflogic

Postby dabeast0976 » Aug 18th, 2010 @ 7:13am

flufflogic wrote:
kenzo wrote:The suits in Japan pulled out all the stops for localizing the first Yakuza. But they must be completely hands off when it comes to how they handle PR in the US. In Japan, new Sega games get crazy adds everywhere, for even the shitty games. I don't remember seeing a single commercial, print ad, or billboard for any Yakuza game, let alone the first. They either don't allocate a budget for publicizing US releases (which I don't think is the case, given how many Sonic Racing or Mario & Sonic at the Olympics adds I've seen), or their US branch that handles PR is incompetent.

Same in the UK; game came out, sold nowt, not a single ad ever seen anywhere.

If memory serves they weren't going to release it then they did. It was too late to start up any type of PR. And in case you think this is beyond Sega, keep in mind what they pulled with the Dreamcast. "Hey, here's our new console that you never heard of and it goes on sale tomorrow!"
dabeast0976

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics