Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby Raine » Jun 6th, 2010 @ 4:54am

I use Firefox but maybe I'll give Chrome a shot. Does Chrome have an easy way to block flash? Firefoxes flash block add on is invaluable.
Raine
User avatar
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: May 7th, 2009 @ 4:55pm
Location: Rockingham, NC

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby Creep » Jun 6th, 2010 @ 5:08am

I did a quick check. It looks like you can block individual plugins including flash, or all of them at once.
Creep
User avatar
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Dec 13th, 2009 @ 1:46am

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby Wobag » Jun 7th, 2010 @ 11:01am

Im kind of bouncing between Firefox and Chrome.

I got sick of Firefox being a memory hog, but waited until Chrome has per page zoom memory.

The only things that keep me from using Chrome exclusively is some embedded video doesn't control correctly (try the volume control on Giantbomb), also I like some of the extensions on Firefox that don't have an equivalent on Chrome yet.
Wobag
 
Posts: 43
Joined: May 13th, 2010 @ 2:13pm

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby lemon-fresh » Jun 7th, 2010 @ 12:58pm

Giantbomb's volume control works just fine for me using chrome...
lemon-fresh
User avatar
 
Posts: 3799
Joined: Apr 13th, 2009 @ 2:52pm
Location: Canada

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby LiQuid » Jun 7th, 2010 @ 1:47pm

What's the biggest memory usage you guys have seen out of Firefox? The worst I've seen was last week. It was up to 1,300,000K+ according to Windows' task manager. Usual operation hovers around 300-400,000K depending on how long I've had it open and what I've been browsing at.

Not only that, but when it gets too high, it won't even close properly and the task will hang open until I manually shut it down. It really is becoming a pain in the ass. I'm wondering if my install just isn't all junked up somehow from years of editing settings, adding/subtracting extensions, and delaying on updates until they were already obsolete. I'm wondering if a complete purge and reinstall will fix it, but I don't wanna go through all the hullabaloo of reinstalling extensions and shit.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby Skrattybones » Jun 7th, 2010 @ 5:47pm

LiQuid wrote:What's the biggest memory usage you guys have seen out of Firefox?


I can't quote exact numbers, but on every computer I've had since I started using FireFox I've had this problem. After a few hours of having it open it completely maxes out my CPU usage, without fail.
Skrattybones
User avatar
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 6:31am
Location: Halifax, Canada

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby lemon-fresh » Jun 7th, 2010 @ 6:35pm

Seconded.
lemon-fresh
User avatar
 
Posts: 3799
Joined: Apr 13th, 2009 @ 2:52pm
Location: Canada

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby Lombaszko » Jun 8th, 2010 @ 4:05am

Skrattybones wrote:I can't quote exact numbers, but on every computer I've had since I started using FireFox I've had this problem. After a few hours of having it open it completely maxes out my CPU usage, without fail.

I thought I heard somewhere that Firefox will use all that memory but will give it up when another program needs it. Still, I don't think it's very efficient to do that.
Lombaszko
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 3:53am
Location: Boston

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby Skrattybones » Jun 8th, 2010 @ 7:31am

Lombaszko wrote:
Skrattybones wrote:I can't quote exact numbers, but on every computer I've had since I started using FireFox I've had this problem. After a few hours of having it open it completely maxes out my CPU usage, without fail.

I thought I heard somewhere that Firefox will use all that memory but will give it up when another program needs it. Still, I don't think it's very efficient to do that.


Maybe, but I can't see why it needs to use it all in the first place, or why it takes extended use of the browser before it happens.
Skrattybones
User avatar
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 6:31am
Location: Halifax, Canada

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby Fallen_Angel » Jun 10th, 2010 @ 8:32am

Started using Opera b/c of all the love it was getting here. Loving it so far, it has THE best pop-up blocker I've come across to date. Waving goodbye to the gloomy days of 'I got ripped in 4 weeks blah blah blah' pop-ups!
Afro
Fallen_Angel
User avatar
 
Posts: 960
Joined: Mar 24th, 2009 @ 10:53am

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby lemon-fresh » Jun 10th, 2010 @ 2:10pm

coo, I still can't figure out why people care so much bout pop ups... Stop clicking on random porn ads and you'd be surprised at how little pop ups you'll encounter.
lemon-fresh
User avatar
 
Posts: 3799
Joined: Apr 13th, 2009 @ 2:52pm
Location: Canada

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby kenzo » Jun 10th, 2010 @ 2:20pm

lemon-fresh wrote:coo, I still can't figure out why people care so much bout pop ups... Stop clicking on random porn ads and you'd be surprised at how little pop ups you'll encounter.

Some people just can't quit either their pr0n, their warez, or both.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby lemon-fresh » Jun 10th, 2010 @ 2:51pm

Truth.
lemon-fresh
User avatar
 
Posts: 3799
Joined: Apr 13th, 2009 @ 2:52pm
Location: Canada

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby Fallen_Angel » Jun 10th, 2010 @ 3:03pm

kenzo wrote:
lemon-fresh wrote:coo, I still can't figure out why people care so much bout pop ups... Stop clicking on random porn ads and you'd be surprised at how little pop ups you'll encounter.

Some people just can't quit either their pr0n, their warez, or both.


it rarely happens when I'm on porn sites actually. It's when I'm streaming tv shows that it happens
Afro
Fallen_Angel
User avatar
 
Posts: 960
Joined: Mar 24th, 2009 @ 10:53am

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby lemon-fresh » Jun 10th, 2010 @ 3:28pm

Yeaaaa and that usually occurs from the random malware you pick up from less reputable sites.
lemon-fresh
User avatar
 
Posts: 3799
Joined: Apr 13th, 2009 @ 2:52pm
Location: Canada

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby MrBiggs » Jun 11th, 2010 @ 6:56am

I switched from Chrome to Safari on Windows with the new Safari 5. Bookmarks still suck, but at least everything opens in new tabs instead of windows which was my big complaint previously. Nothing's perfect, but Safari comes closest for my wants.
MrBiggs
User avatar
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Mar 19th, 2009 @ 4:44pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby drbinofski » Jun 16th, 2010 @ 1:09pm

mostly anything except internet explorer. Firefox on my mac - mainly out of laziness and cannot be bothered to change - I do like tabbed browsing. Chrome is on my linux netbook - I believe the footprint is lighter and it's ok but does tend to wimp out if it doesn't immediately get connected to the server which is irritating. I also have firefox on my netbook if I'm getting too cheesed by Chrome. Are there any other worthwhile browsers out there to try?
Hand me those d10's and we'll soon sort these bothersome individuals out...
http://fusionrpg.wordpress.com/
drbinofski
User avatar
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Oct 24th, 2009 @ 1:48am
Location: Brighton, UK.

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby Fallen_Angel » Jun 16th, 2010 @ 1:27pm

lemon-fresh wrote:Yeaaaa and that usually occurs from the random malware you pick up from less reputable sites.


go to fastpasstv.com & you'll see what I mean, motherfucker!
Last edited by Fallen_Angel on Jun 16th, 2010 @ 1:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Afro
Fallen_Angel
User avatar
 
Posts: 960
Joined: Mar 24th, 2009 @ 10:53am

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby kenzo » Jun 16th, 2010 @ 1:28pm

Fallen_Angel wrote:
kenzo wrote:
lemon-fresh wrote:coo, I still can't figure out why people care so much bout pop ups... Stop clicking on random porn ads and you'd be surprised at how little pop ups you'll encounter.

Some people just can't quit either their pr0n, their warez, or both.


it rarely happens when I'm on porn sites actually. It's when I'm streaming tv shows that it happens

Yeahhhh, I don't wanna know anything about you and porn sites. :|
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby Raine » Jun 17th, 2010 @ 4:44am

kenzo wrote:Some people just can't quit either their pr0n, their warez, or both.


The very concept that someone would quit looking at porn is just, like, crazy. Not look at porn? How could someone do this?
Raine
User avatar
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: May 7th, 2009 @ 4:55pm
Location: Rockingham, NC

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby Fallen_Angel » Jun 17th, 2010 @ 5:46pm

kenzo wrote:Yeahhhh, I don't wanna know anything about you and porn sites. :|


I don't like your tone, Kenzo
Afro
Fallen_Angel
User avatar
 
Posts: 960
Joined: Mar 24th, 2009 @ 10:53am

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby kenzo » Jun 17th, 2010 @ 5:51pm

Fallen_Angel wrote:
kenzo wrote:Yeahhhh, I don't wanna know anything about you and porn sites. :|


I don't like your tone, Kenzo

I'm sorry, I was trying to make a joke. My funny-bone is rusty apparently.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby lemon-fresh » Jun 17th, 2010 @ 6:03pm

Fallen_Angel wrote:
lemon-fresh wrote:Yeaaaa and that usually occurs from the random malware you pick up from less reputable sites.


go to fastpasstv.com & you'll see what I mean, motherfucker!


Went there, thx for the link btw... When do the popups start happening(I only experienced one instance)?
lemon-fresh
User avatar
 
Posts: 3799
Joined: Apr 13th, 2009 @ 2:52pm
Location: Canada

Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Postby Fallen_Angel » Jun 17th, 2010 @ 6:07pm

lemon-fresh wrote:Went there, thx for the link btw... When do the popups start happening(I only experienced one instance)?


Sorry for the aggressive tone, bro. Er try watching any video & you'll see. Shit is mad annoying, Opera nullifies it though.
Afro
Fallen_Angel
User avatar
 
Posts: 960
Joined: Mar 24th, 2009 @ 10:53am

Xenical Pas Cher JeaMent

Postby JeaJath » Feb 26th, 2019 @ 2:04pm

Retin A Online No Scrip Generic Viagra Us Pharmacy canadian cialis Best Secure Canadian Pharmacy Purchase Amoxicillin No Prescription
Buy Tadalista 20 cialis 5 mg Efectos Viagra Cuerpo Humano
JeaJath
 
Posts: 7010
Joined: Dec 18th, 2018 @ 11:03am
Location: Belgium

Propecia Linea JeaMent

Postby JeaJath » Feb 26th, 2019 @ 2:05pm

Generique Sildenafil 40 Mg Can I Buy Doxycycline Over The Counter buy viagra online Keflex And Pregnancy Cialis Viagra Meinung Generique Amoxicillin Sans Ordonnance En Ligne
Buy Tadalista 20 cialis 5 mg Efectos Viagra Cuerpo Humano
JeaJath
 
Posts: 7010
Joined: Dec 18th, 2018 @ 11:03am
Location: Belgium

Previous
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Options

Return to Other Geekery

cron