Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Which pet do you prefer?

Cats
36%
Dogs
47%
Birds
2%
Fish
2%
Rodents
No votes
Things with scales
2%
People (you're a freak)
6%
Other
3%
None
3%

Total votes : 64

Cats or Dogs or ???

Postby kenzo » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 1:18am

I was sorely tempted to hijack Karen's Dog-charity thread, but decided against being an asshole.

So what kind of pets do you prefer? Are you a dog-person? Are you a crazy-cat-lady? Do you teach your parrot words? How many species of fish live in your tanks? Do you keep a gimp locked up in a chest in your basement? Or do you just hate responsibility and companionship all together?

Edit: Now there's a poll.
Last edited by kenzo on Jun 9th, 2010 @ 9:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Re: Cats or Dogs or ???

Postby Grimlock » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 1:47am

I'm a dog person. I have owned 3, but currently don't have a dog. Instead I'm taking care of a family friends cat. She has 2 cats, one old cat that likes to just lay around and a younger cat that wants to play. All that playfulness scares the older cat so much that she wouldn't come out of the closet. So I'm taking care of the younger cat until the older one bites the dust.

And I swear this cat is a ninja. She'll hide for hours without a trace and just show up infront of you as you walk down the hallway.
Grimlock

Postby kenzo » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 3:16am

Grimlock wrote:I'm a dog person. I have owned 3, but currently don't have a dog. Instead I'm taking care of a family friends cat. She has 2 cats, one old cat that likes to just lay around and a younger cat that wants to play. All that playfulness scares the older cat so much that she wouldn't come out of the closet. So I'm taking care of the younger cat until the older one bites the dust.

Do you know the age of this older cat? Because depending on factors like the breed, lifestyle, and diet, cats can easily live to be 18-20 years or more. I say this because they're tenacious animals that might seem old and lethargic, but will stick around for another year or four.
kenzo

Postby IRL_Troll » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 6:15am

I've had 5 dogs in my life time.....a terrier mutt which was at least 18 when it died (that's how long my mom had it, after she found it), a dachshund that lived to be 7, a springer spaniel that lived to be 16, a sheltie that lived to be 14, and currently have an 11 year old mini long haired dachshund and 6 year old golden retriever that live with me. So, I prefer dogs.
I also have a parakeet, and a ferret. Luckily my dogs have been taught that trying eat them is a very bad venture on their parts.
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby Grimlock » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 6:31am

kenzo wrote:Do you know the age of this older cat? Because depending on factors like the breed, lifestyle, and diet, cats can easily live to be 18-20 years or more. I say this because they're tenacious animals that might seem old and lethargic, but will stick around for another year or four.

She is 15. I wouldn't mind taking care of this younger cat for a few years. She does get active, but it isn't something that I can't handle, I can just open up a window and she'll gaze out for hours and forget all about me. Or I'll actually play with her.

And I don't know the breed of either of the cats.
Grimlock

Postby Creep » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 6:39am

I'm a dog guy. Since I was a kid I've had a Saint Bernard, Poodle, Doberman, Boxer, Boxer/Golden Retriever mix, Terrier, Pug, and finally a Papillion/Chihuahua mix. I do like Cats though, but I'm allergic to them. If I had a choice, I would still pick a dog every time.
Creep

Postby IMLabman » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 7:23am

I love dogs and always have. I don't have one right at the moment, but I have in the past. I like the idea of cats, but in practice I can't stand them. My sister used to have one and I have friends that have them...and I have found that they really stink the house up. Ugggggh I hate that cat smell!

I also owned a turtle for years that I named Sir Alfred Lord Tennyson. He grew as big as a dinner plate. Whatever you do, don't let them bite your finger...I let Tennyson bite mine when I was younger and it hurt like a mutha! I was moving to another town, so I decided to give him away rather than try to move him...I often wonder if he's still alive.

At one time I also owned a Chinchilla. Those things have incredibly soft fur...and it's hilarious to watch them roll around in their dust bath. But, those things can jump so high, it's kinda creepy. My one used to jump up on my shoulder and bite at my hair. I didn't like that too much.

Other than that I have owned the usual hamsters, gerbils, and gold fish, but I don't have any interesting stories about them. :D
IMLabman

Postby lemon-fresh » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 7:42am

I like both but dogs require a little too much attention than I am willing to provide at the moment and thus I am a cat person.
lemon-fresh

Postby LiQuid » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 10:08am

Growing up I owned nothing but dogs. From when I was about 5 or 6 until I left my folks' place. I lived without animals for a long time, moving from apartment to apartment I could never have pets but I desperately wanted a dog. A few of my living situations in the last decade had me living with a few cats and I absolutely hated them all. They were rude, unsociable, most of them drooled... They were fucking pests, and I went out of my way to shoo them away from me whenever a roommate's cat tried to come near me.

Living in a new apartment on my own for a year and still really wishing I could have a dog, a friend of my mother was trying to find a home for one of her many cats. She brought one into my office one day and just let it roam around while I was working. Let me tell you about this cat. He was fucking gigantic. Gigantic and orange. He smelled like a pile of turds. His asshole had poop crust flaking off of it. I was told he was probably diabetic, blind in one eye and couldn't hear very well. Way to sell a fucking pet lady. So the little asshole waddled around the office for the day, and when it was time to go home, she asked me, did I want to take him and let him live with me on a "trial" basis? I said not no but hell no. Somehow she talked me into it. "Only for a few days, while I can think of somebody else to ask?" she pleaded.

So I brought him home, but about 3/4 of the way I smelt something wretched and quickly realized he'd shit himself in his cat carrier. I carry the shit (and his feces) into my apartment and he's crying and freaking the fuck out. I get a bunch of rags, towels and stuff ready to try and wipe him down as I opened the cage, but the second I did, his fat ass darted away from me so fast all I could see was orange speed lines. I spent the next two hours cleaning a Jackson Pollock's worth of shit out of a cat carrier designed to transport Dobermans, while that asshole hid under my bed, rubbing his shitty body all over the floor and trying to clean himself. I managed to coax him out at me so I could assist with the cleanup effort. So I spent the next hour wiping shit off this cat's ass. I'm sure he considered it a bonding experience. I wanted to make him not smell like death.

So after a few years of hating other peoples' cats, and a day of being traumatized by this fat hellbeast that spewed shit from every orifice, that just further solidified my disdain for cats and love of dogs, right? Nope. After the smell died down and I let him up on the furniture, he became one of the friendliest animals I'd ever met. He was like a lapdog. He'd just chill on my leg while I was playing video games (I'd have to kick him off though, after my leg fell asleep). I'm sure the transition took a few days to a week or so, and the initial nervousness of sneaking a cat into my No Pet Zone apartment had me on edge, but he settled in real quick. He was laid back, didn't beg me for attention (but loved when I gave it to him), and the only time I ever had to clean up after him, was scooping out his piss tray once a day, and pick up the occasional rogue turd from someplace random in the apartment where it eventually fell off his ass cause he doesn't know how to shit properly. He was like the perfect pet for a lazy alcoholic! After about two weeks I went back to my mom's friend and asked her if she wanted to get rid of another one.

That was about two and a half years ago. I'll never not own cats now. As soon as one of these croaks, I'm getting a new one to fill its spot. It seems like now that I've grown accustomed to cats, all the dogs I know now just annoy the hell out of me. There's the little yippy ones (my parents have three of those and I could literally kill all of them and not feel remorse), the big, dumb, smelly ones... When I meet intelligent, well trained dogs, I still enjoy being around them, but the vast majority of dog owners that I know don't know shit about dogs. They spoil the hell out of them, feed them table scraps, and generally let the dogs own them. The biggest difference between cats and dogs to me is that cats know how to behave on an instinctual level, and unless lead and trained, dogs just run amok.

Ed: Here's a picture of the fat ass in question, about to destroy my toilet. He was called Frisco when I got him, but I changed it to Fatsco, or just The Big Man:

And here's Sam, trying desperately to be touched (PS. I'm naked when I'm filming that!):
LiQuid

Postby Wobag » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 10:17am

Dont own one but Im a cat person all the way, not keen on dogs at all.

Im the sort of person that doesnt believe in reincarnation, but if I did, I would think I was a cat in a previous life.
Wobag

Postby flufflogic » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 10:58am

Dogs. Hands down, dogs.
flufflogic

Postby lemon-fresh » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 1:31pm

LiQuid wrote:Huge post of awesomeness

Says it all really... Well done!
lemon-fresh

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 1:46pm

Dogs are awesome.

I have a dog and a cat, my dog loves to play and be pet and my cat will from time to time rub up against my leg but she's more likely to come up and bite your leg for no reason. My cat will also just go up to my dog and punch him in the fact for no reason and most of the time he'll just look at her likes she's crazy and walk away but sometimes he'll chase her and she'll just run and hide under the bed. I'll post a picture of my dog when I get home from work.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 3:19pm

The reason she punches your dog is she's instigating a fight for play. Sam does that to Fatsco all the time and they end up chasing each other all over the apartment playing grab ass.

I know of three households among my friends that own both (a) dog(s) and (a) cat(s) and in those situations cats seem to be more reserved. I still don't think cats are at their best unless they're your cats. I still don't really like any of my friends' cats. I try to, now that I have an appreciation for the creature, but until you build a relationship with a cat, they don't want anything to do with you, whereas dogs don't give a fuck. If they think you have something they want to eat they are instantly your best friend. Dog's are loyal, they are good companions, and I have yet to meet a cat that would wake you up if your building caught fire, but ultimately I think they are the more complex animals. My cats are more loving than any of my dogs growing up ever were.
LiQuid

Postby RedPanda77 » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 3:39pm

We had a german shepard when I was young, the dog was insanely smart. All day the dog would patrol my Grandpa's cow pasture, making his rounds like clockwork. After my grandpa came home the dog would post at the base of the garage until around 9:00 when he would come in. If you put one foot past the sidewalk onto the property the dog would stand up growl and walk towards you until you took a step back.

That dog set the bar pretty high and since I live in apartments I can't justify owning a working dog (they get depressed if you don't give them enough to do).

I hated cats until I had one of my own, I can see how awesome they are now. Like furry ninjas in your apartment. I have four cats, I had one (an awesome Flame Point Himalayan Persian) named Atticus, my girlfriend brought in two more (these fucking hellions destroy my apartment; it's always the black ones ((Mows & Guy))). Then we found an abandoned kitten out where all the junkies hang out, no one claimed her and before I knew it my girl became too attached to give her up (Shiera).

They pretty much rule my life. Here's a video of us torturing them.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1y5edExNPdA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1y5edExNPdA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
PSN: redpanda77
Steam: redpanda77
XB1: redpanda77
RedPanda77

Postby kenzo » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 3:58pm

IMLabman wrote:I like the idea of cats, but... I have found that they really stink the house up. Ugggggh I hate that cat smell!
Dogs have their own smell too. Really, it's just a matter of getting used to it. Every time I visit home I notice the scent of my cats, but half an hour later I can't notice it anymore.

Until I moved away from home, I always had cats. For every reason LiQuid mentioned, they're awesome. I always remember this quote from Meet the Parents, whenever I think about the biggest difference between cats and dogs. I like that my cats show me unwavering loyalty by not rolling over and obeying the command of anyone that gives them a pat on the head and a doggy biscuit. Having a cat is much more like having a companion, whereas having a dog is much more like having a helpless slave or a four year old. Dogs can be their own kind of fun, but I find having cats much more gratifying.
kenzo

Postby AP-Will » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 4:41pm

Im a dog person here cant live without them but im going to fill in that ??? for you because the other best animal/pet in the world is without a doubt a llama. I dont personally have one but just owning one is the best thing ever
AP-Will

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 4:56pm

He's 10 years old.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby lemon-fresh » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 6:07pm

Pet pic time!

Young Ted (and brother Marty)

Ted now (small dog mauling size ;) )
lemon-fresh

Postby LiQuid » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 7:20pm

This thread could have used a poll.
LiQuid

Postby Natto » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 7:41pm

I'm more of a cat person, but I like them both. Sadly, I'm allergic to cat hair, so I'll probably never own one.
I like to draw stuff.
Natto

Postby kenzo » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 9:10pm

LiQuid wrote:This thread could have used a poll.

Done and done, my friend.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 10th, 2010 @ 6:15am

Did you know that after you die your cat will only wait 2 hours before it starts to eat you but a dog will wait 2 weeks?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jun 10th, 2010 @ 6:54am

Mr_eX wrote:Did you know that after you die your cat will only wait 2 hours before it starts to eat you but a dog will wait 2 weeks?

You say that like it's a bad thing. Cats' more refined palate prefers fresh meat to a rotting carcass. I'm gonna have to concur.
LiQuid

Postby dabeast0976 » Jun 10th, 2010 @ 7:37am

LiQuid wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:Did you know that after you die your cat will only wait 2 hours before it starts to eat you but a dog will wait 2 weeks?

You say that like it's a bad thing. Cats' more refined palate prefers fresh meat to a rotting carcass. I'm gonna have to concur.

Mental note, never die while Liquid is around...
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby Bobloblaw » Jun 10th, 2010 @ 8:30am

... and a fish will never eat you.
Bobloblaw

Postby RedPanda77 » Jun 10th, 2010 @ 10:18am

I've never seen a cat eat it's own shit or anyone elses.
PSN: redpanda77
Steam: redpanda77
XB1: redpanda77
RedPanda77

Postby LiQuid » Jun 10th, 2010 @ 10:20am

Cats are big fans of vomit though, which is kind of gross, but a lot of animals eat regurgitation.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jun 10th, 2010 @ 10:46am

Did you know that if you stand alone, in front of your bathroom mirror with the door closed, the lights off, and you spin around three times saying 'bloody mary' on reach revolution that a monster appears in the mirror and gives you an ice cream cone???
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 10th, 2010 @ 10:53am

LiQuid wrote:

It has more to do with loyalty than fresh meat. Cats don't care about their owners and dogs do.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Next
Forum Statistics