Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: Podcast Recommendations

Postby Pandareus » Jan 29th, 2012 @ 9:49pm

There is no backpedalling here. I'm just not gonna sit there and let you tell me I lack perspective just because my podcast (that you haven't listened to) is more specialized.

The focus is narrow. The perspective is not.
For a higher level of discussion about all things Nintendo: Radio Free Nintendo
Pandareus

Postby Creep » Feb 12th, 2012 @ 11:20am

Anyone listen to the Slate Spoiler Specials? They break down movies and discuss intellegently. Good stuff.
Creep

Postby Robobear » Feb 12th, 2012 @ 11:57am

Creep wrote:Anyone listen to the Slate Spoiler Specials? They break down movies and discuss intellegently. Good stuff.

The other Slate podcasts are great, with the exception of the sports one, since I don't listen to it.

I've stopped listening to the podcasts from IGN. The majority of them are focused on the next 'big' thing, and for me to keep up I'd have to spend a shit load of money. I kept on getting the feeling that I was listening to marketing hype, and not actual people talking about shit. Also, their analyses (other than from Arthur) are pretty facile and not very nuanced. The comics podcast was great, but ever since Dan Philips left, there's no point to listen to Dan Iverson or anyone else there.
Robobear

Postby GiantAsianMan » Feb 12th, 2012 @ 12:33pm

Robobear wrote:The other Slate podcasts are great, with the exception of the sports one, since I don't listen to it.

If you do like sports, Slate's sports podcast (Hang Up and Listen) is excellent. I highly recommend it. It's better than any weekly (or daily) podcast put out by ESPN (and I like a lot of ESPN's podcasts). It's intelligent sports talk, as opposed to what people like Skip Bayless, Stephen A. Smith, and Colin Cowherd provide.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby kenzo » Feb 12th, 2012 @ 3:08pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:
Robobear wrote:The other Slate podcasts are great, with the exception of the sports one, since I don't listen to it.

If you do like sports, Slate's sports podcast (Hang Up and Listen) is excellent. I highly recommend it. It's better than any weekly (or daily) podcast put out by ESPN (and I like a lot of ESPN's podcasts). It's intelligent sports talk, as opposed to what people like Skip Bayless, Stephen A. Smith, and Colin Cowherd provide.
I seriously don't understand how those three have jobs. They're literally the dumbest people I've ever listened to.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jun 18th, 2013 @ 8:02pm

So every year Giant Bomb does their E3 show and one of their recurring guests is one Justin McElroy (from Polygon, previously of Joystiq I believe). I think Justin McElroy is one of the funniest human beings on the planet. No matter what he's talking about, he always seems to speak with an infectious jolliness that makes me laugh uncontrollably. Decided this was the year I was finally going to find some other podcast he was on and then found my way (via a redirect from fartpatrol.com) to a podcast with his 2 brothers! Three McElroys for the price of one!

Anyways, I just randomly clicked on one of the episode and it seems pretty hilarious so far. I'm going to dig into this proper as I get some free time.

http://maximumfun.org/shows/my-brother- ... her-and-me
LiQuid

Postby harrypowers » Aug 11th, 2013 @ 8:09pm

A new episode of The Duck of Death is up. The last one was back in May.
http://duckofdeath.libsyn.com/rss
harrypowers

Postby Starwats » Aug 11th, 2013 @ 8:21pm

I want to recommend If I were you. I know people don't like Jake and Amir, but their podcast is a lot different from their show. It's a bit like MBMBAM
LiQuid wrote:I think secretly kenzo gets even madder about Dota than even Dakazu.

No trading.
Starwats

Postby manta173 » Aug 12th, 2013 @ 7:00am

Random plug for Gamers with Jobs. Great podcast, and good forums too. They are my other internet family.

I also started listening to geeks with wives as it decribes me like gamers with jobs does. I haven't given them a fair amount of time yet though so I will reserve comments until later.

I also started listening to Harmontown (Dan Harmon's podcast)... it's pretty good, a little long sometimes though.

The Alton Brown cast and Adam Savage's "Still Untitled" both make it into my regular listens now too.

Finally, I have also started listening to Core Elements from the dead worker's party guys. They do "The Shaft" podcast about minecraft which used to be pretty good when I first got into minecraft.Core Elements is pretty good, some general games discussion and an interview with an indie developer. It's nice, not a lot of inside jokes or overbearing personalities to learn to tolerate.
manta173

Postby kenzo » Aug 13th, 2013 @ 6:28am

harrypowers wrote:A new episode of The Duck of Death is up. The last one was back in May.
Duck of Death is seriously one of my faves. TBH, it's 10x the podcast the Geekbox is. But it comes out so lamentably infrequently. Three months between podcasts is a killer. So this is a case where quantity overcomes quality in terms of Geekbox vs Duck of Death.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 14th, 2013 @ 4:16pm

I'm listening to 7 year old Retronauts for the first time.

The past was funny.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Aug 14th, 2013 @ 4:55pm

Jam Alert! Old Retronauts was my jam. The first few years were purely magical. But as EGM and other magazines began to close, and the Ziff-Davis/1UP brain-trust began to break up, the episodes got worse and worse because they simply couldn't keep pulling fresh voices in to speak with authority about stuff. There are some bleak years recently, but it's getting a little better, simply because I think Jeremy doesn't sound as broken of an individual anymore now that he's out from under the perpetual axe that was hovering over his neck for years.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 14th, 2013 @ 5:37pm

Ryan Scott talks as much on these as he does on the Comedy Button (sans last episode)!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Aug 14th, 2013 @ 5:42pm

I remember him being totally worthless on the episodes he was on. But when they get guys like Shane Bettenhausen on? Fucking GOLD.
kenzo

Postby harrypowers » Aug 14th, 2013 @ 8:44pm

kenzo wrote:
harrypowers wrote:A new episode of The Duck of Death is up. The last one was back in May.
Duck of Death is seriously one of my faves. TBH, it's 10x the podcast the Geekbox is. But it comes out so lamentably infrequently. Three months between podcasts is a killer. So this is a case where quantity overcomes quality in terms of Geekbox vs Duck of Death.

Yeah, Mike Kruze has some good bits like movie pitches, comic recommendations, and candy reviews. I am amazed that they didn't mention the Paula Dean hub-bub on this last episode.
harrypowers

Postby LiQuid » Jan 17th, 2014 @ 6:12am

I just listened to the inaugural episode of Ice-T's Final Level Podcast and it met and exceeded every expectation I had when I discovered it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ice ... 29018?mt=2
LiQuid

Postby totoro » Nov 16th, 2014 @ 7:41pm

I've been listening to and completely hooked on "Serial" (like many others). I'll throw my 2 cents in and say that it's probably the best podcast I've ever listened to.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro

Postby dliu3d » Nov 16th, 2014 @ 8:08pm

I've been listening to 2 anime podcasts I discovered on youtube :the anime abroad podcast and podtaku are really awesome.
dliu3d

Postby LiQuid » Nov 16th, 2014 @ 8:13pm

Viral podcasts. That's cute. I miss the internet.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Nov 17th, 2014 @ 9:59pm

So without having listened to that Serial Podcast I've been digging around its subreddit and man the internet is so fucking hilarious. All these dumb fucking nerds think they're Encyclopedia Brown. This is why awful shows like Lost get popular. If there's a mystery to be solved, Internet Nerds are there to talk it to death even if there's no resolution to be had.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Nov 17th, 2014 @ 10:59pm

dliu3d wrote:I've been listening to 2 anime podcasts I discovered on youtube :the anime abroad podcast and podtaku are really awesome.
I don't know if I could stomach an animu podcast. Animu fans are the worst fans in all fandom.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Apr 27th, 2015 @ 8:00pm

I really wish I knew of another Bombcast-caliber podcast that I actually got super excited to listen to every week. I sadly realized that the closest I have to that is the Comic Conspiracy and I haven't bought a comic in months. I've tried to listen to real specific interest podcast based on the games that I'm playing (specifically a FF14 and Elder Scrolls podcast) and the people that run these are the absolute worst kinds of fucking nerds I can't stand listening to. It's like listening to a podcast with 4 Dakazus. Bunch of overly polite fanboys that don't see anything wrong with grown ass men obsessing over toys for kids. They drive me fucking insane. I wish there was another gaming podcast out there with a cast that had a rapport like the Bombcast guys did, were cynical but didn't treat everything with grave seriousness.

I've tried listening to a couple of the other big, gaming focused podcasts (Idle Thumbs and Gamers with Jobs) but these are all casual fucking hobbyists, on top of being uberpolite meganerds. I need a podcast that keeps it real. One that keeps it street. I need conversations about problem binge drinking and trying to fry eggshells that transition into the latest video game ballyhoo and my needs aren't being met.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Apr 27th, 2015 @ 10:39pm

I'm like three months, almost four, of comic conspiracy. The only things I keep up with anymore are sports podcasts because of that you said. The BS Report is always a hoot, even if Bill Simmons is a massive Homer. I adore PTI because it's like listening to Statler and Waldorf talk about sports for half an hour every day.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » May 8th, 2015 @ 6:35am

Comedy Bang Bang is the best podcast on the internet. Its the only podcast I make sure to listen to every week. I don't even do that for the bombcast.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 8th, 2015 @ 6:47am

I listen to 8 weekly podcasts, and 1 bi-weekly podcast.
CrossXhunteR

Postby IRL_Troll » Jul 26th, 2015 @ 11:43am

My podcast recommendations are back! I'll keep to the ones I stop and listen to...while leaving out Geekbox Associated podcasts

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
Weird Things
FSL Tonight
Skeptic's Guide to the Universe
Sklarboro Country/County
Doug Loves Movies
Slate Culture/Double X Gabfest
The Smartest Man in the World
Common Sense with Dan Carlin
Maltin on Movies
Denzel Washington is the Greatest Actor of All Time Period
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Podcast Recommendations

Postby Osamajhyil » Oct 2nd, 2017 @ 6:23pm

I don't know if I have room in my life for another podcast but I trust your judgement JB. How does it compare to Serial?
I recommend trying this trading system for reliable trading
Osamajhyil

AIFF To MP3

Postby ameguava » Nov 20th, 2017 @ 6:01pm

There are many choices of changing AIFF to MP3, like using AIFF to MP3 converter or direct on-line changing. Unlike the lossy MP3 format with around 1MB for every minute of audio recording, the AIFF file does not support knowledge compression so the file size of the AIFF tune usually consumes the larger 10MB with lossless high quality, making it necessity to convert the AIFF to MP3 format for Mac or Windows under sure circumstances, the compatibility subject for playback of AIFF audio on audio participant and methods is one more reason you want to convert sound tracks inaif tomp3 file.
My spouse exported from Sibelius at work (version 6 or 7) and received an AIFF file, which I can play in iTunes, play in Home windows Media Participant 11, however can't open within the old software aiff2mp3 converter windows program I take advantage of to transform WAV to MP3. Following these straightforward steps, it is possible for you to to free some area on your iDevice with out dropping your favorite songs.
Therefore, although MP3 file was referred to as a lossy audio format, it is still well-liked and used to retailer and stream audio. To add supply AIFF file to the converter, click on the Add file” button on the correct aiff2mp3 windows facet of the interface or drag AIFF file directly to the interface. ConverterLite is free software that makes use of the powerful FFmpeg challenge to convert audio and video information quickly and simply.
ameguava

Previous
Forum Statistics