Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: Podcast Recommendations

Postby LiQuid » Oct 3rd, 2011 @ 10:17pm

This week’s How Did This Get Made? is the first of its kind. Our guests are Lexi Alexander, director of Punisher: War Zone and Patton Oswalt, one of the movie’s most vocal supporters. Together with Paul and June (unfortunately Jason had to miss this one) they honestly explain how this movie got made: From the very first pitch meetings to the week after it was released. Hear how unfortunate timing, poor marketing, and mixed expectations affected the success of one of the coolest, craziest, most fun comic book adaptations of the decade (at least).

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/punisher-war-zone/

This is easily my favorite podcast ever recorded. I make no secret of the fact that Punisher War Zone is my favorite comic book movie ever made. Hearing the director speak about it completely cements my stance. Hearing about stuff like the origin of the parkour guys, the over the top violence and how it was received by critics and a bunch of other great behind the scenes stuff (you'll never guess which actor gave a perfect audition for Jigsaw and was a huge Punisher fan, but the studio wouldn't let him be cast!) made for an amazing listen.

This podcast should come on all future home video editions of the movie. Also Lexi Alexander should direct every movie ever made.
LiQuid

Postby IRL_Troll » Oct 4th, 2011 @ 3:23am

When I saw that you were the most recent poster in this thread, I knew it would be about this.

You better make that your moviebox pick, or else I will
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby Royce » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 7:13pm

If anyone likes soccer and the English Premier League? Then "Men in Blazers" on the Grantland Network is the podcast for you. Greatest thing I've ever put in my ears.
Royce

Postby hadododo » Oct 12th, 2011 @ 3:48pm

Fallen_Angel wrote:Rooster Teeth Drunk Tank. Only good one I haven't seen in this thread. Made by the Red vs. Blue guys and although I don't watch RvB Drunk Tank is really good.

i cannot recommend the rooster teeth podcast enough. it's like the old days of cgw and gfw radio. the guys are so open minded, one of the guy did a review of a fleshlight.
Honestly i think their main production red vs blue is not as good as it used to be, since they switched over to cg.

I enjoy their other videos more, and i think that the comedy button guys should take note of their stuff.
one of my favorite videos - http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=3041
Last edited by hadododo on Oct 12th, 2011 @ 6:26pm, edited 3 times in total.
hadododo

Postby ribkicker4 » Oct 12th, 2011 @ 6:18pm

The Podcasts I listen to...

Comic Conspiracy
Gamers with Jobs (sometimes)
Gamespy Debriefings (soon to be the Comedy Button)
Geekbox
Giant Bombcast
the Joystiq Podcast
Losing the Sheen (if you think Justin McElroy is funny (and you should) listen to this)
Mobcast (only on once a month now, but it's still entertaining)
The Moth Podcast (everyone should fucking listen to this)
My Brother My Brother and Me (another Justin McElroy podcast. It has its ups and downs)
Fresh Air
Queue Dodge This! (LoL podcast...)
Rebel FM
Spill.com Movie Reviews
This American Life (also a highly recommended podcast)
Weekend Confirmed (I like the mix of video games and sports)
and the Oddcast (Scott Sharkey is back! Fuck yeah!)
ribkicker4

Postby ribkicker4 » Oct 12th, 2011 @ 6:21pm

LiQuid wrote:
This week’s How Did This Get Made? is the first of its kind. Our guests are Lexi Alexander, director of Punisher: War Zone and Patton Oswalt, one of the movie’s most vocal supporters. Together with Paul and June (unfortunately Jason had to miss this one) they honestly explain how this movie got made: From the very first pitch meetings to the week after it was released. Hear how unfortunate timing, poor marketing, and mixed expectations affected the success of one of the coolest, craziest, most fun comic book adaptations of the decade (at least).

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/punisher-war-zone/

This is easily my favorite podcast ever recorded. I make no secret of the fact that Punisher War Zone is my favorite comic book movie ever made. Hearing the director speak about it completely cements my stance. Hearing about stuff like the origin of the parkour guys, the over the top violence and how it was received by critics and a bunch of other great behind the scenes stuff (you'll never guess which actor gave a perfect audition for Jigsaw and was a huge Punisher fan, but the studio wouldn't let him be cast!) made for an amazing listen.

This podcast should come on all future home video editions of the movie. Also Lexi Alexander should direct every movie ever made.

Why am I not surprised you like that movie?

I'll check out the podcast.
ribkicker4

Postby kenzo » Oct 12th, 2011 @ 6:24pm

If Mobcast is only once a month I might pick it back up again. That podcast was okay, but didn't warrant as much of my attention as once a week demanded. I'm getting really close to dropping 8-4's podcast for the same reason. If Rebel FM were to limit themselves to once every other week (or longer) I might consider picking that up again.
kenzo

Postby ribkicker4 » Oct 12th, 2011 @ 6:38pm

kenzo wrote:If Mobcast is only once a month I might pick it back up again. That podcast was okay, but didn't warrant as much of my attention as once a week demanded. I'm getting really close to dropping 8-4's podcast for the same reason. If Rebel FM were to limit themselves to once every other week (or longer) I might consider picking that up again.

I'm a delivery driver and drive about an hour round trip to school, so I need as many podcasts as possible.
ribkicker4

Postby LiQuid » Oct 12th, 2011 @ 10:00pm

ribkicker, since nobody cares about this thread, I'm taking the opportunity to tell you that I can't see your avatar. Haven't ever been able to. Try rehosting it.
LiQuid

Postby ribkicker4 » Oct 13th, 2011 @ 7:26am

LiQuid wrote:ribkicker, since nobody cares about this thread, I'm taking the opportunity to tell you that I can't see your avatar. Haven't ever been able to. Try rehosting it.

Better?
ribkicker4

Postby IRL_Troll » Jan 19th, 2012 @ 1:47pm

HOLY FUCKING MOTHER OF GOD THERE IS NEW HARDCORE HISTORY UP!!!!! I can not wait to delve into it
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby Pandareus » Jan 19th, 2012 @ 2:38pm

Podcast recommendations? Oh, uh. Hmm. Well I know this Nintendo one that's really good.

Radio Free Nintendo.

And while it's perhaps not as insightful or informative, if you aren't tired of hearing about Nintendo, I got my own podcast too! It's in the sig. Once every two weeks.
For a higher level of discussion about all things Nintendo: Radio Free Nintendo
Pandareus

Postby LiQuid » Jan 19th, 2012 @ 3:13pm

How the fuck is there a podcast dedicated solely to Nintendo? Is it biannual???
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 19th, 2012 @ 4:24pm

I think any kind of publication dedicated to just one console is just silly at this point. I remember Pandarus at one point in his intro post saying he wasn't a fan of the console wars, but emphatically promoting one console over another does just that.
kenzo

Postby Pandareus » Jan 19th, 2012 @ 9:44pm

LiQuid wrote:How the fuck is there a podcast dedicated solely to Nintendo? Is it biannual???

Listen and find out!

kenzo wrote:I think any kind of publication dedicated to just one console is just silly at this point. I remember Pandarus at one point in his intro post saying he wasn't a fan of the console wars, but emphatically promoting one console over another does just that.

That makes no sense. I'm quickly coming to realize you're the king of making assumptions around here, eh? :-p

There is a distinct lack of informed discussion about Nintendo on gaming podcasts. The existence of podcasts focused entirely on Nintendo makes sense: you can really get into details, really dig into the minutia. Instead of listening to the same Skyrim impressions in 4 different podcasts, you can learn about the existence of, say, Mighty Switch Force. Heh.

You really are off base. There is no "promoting" here, certainly not emphatically. Just discussion. It's the role of Nintendo's marketing department to promote their products, not RFN's (and not mine).

They say you need to podcast about what you know and love. I know Nintendo. The choice was easy. And no, I don't fight the console war by having a Nintendo-themed podcast. One can not be terribly interested in a platform and yet not be "against" it, you know.

There is some talk about Sony and MS games on either podcast, anyway. We know Nintendo well and we love them best but we're all still gamers. I really recommend listening to RFN, those guys have been doing this for 4 years, and before that they've been writing reviews and news and editorials on planetgamecube for years... they know their stuff. If you want really insightful analysis of Nintendo business moves and great commentary on games in general, they are worth your time.

As for my own podcast, it's decidedly less professional but I like how good it sounds now for a skype podcast with a constantly renewed crew (i.e. not everyone has great mics, but damn, I'm proud of my editing). I took the mobcast "bring your own topic" format since it's a community podcast and, well, I think we're doing great. It's less about facts and serious analysis and more about impressions and feelings, though. I mean, we get pretty deep into some topics, but not being in the industry we can only give a fan's point of view and not a journalist's.
Pandareus

Postby LiQuid » Jan 19th, 2012 @ 9:55pm

Pandareus wrote:
LiQuid wrote:How the fuck is there a podcast dedicated solely to Nintendo? Is it biannual???

Listen and find out!

I can think of maybe a dozen things I want to do less, most of which don't bode well for the current "functioning" status of my penis.
LiQuid

Postby Pandareus » Jan 19th, 2012 @ 9:59pm

Haha, fair enough. I'm not trying to push it on anyone: it interests you or it doesn't (and going by the Games forum here, it doesn't interest anyone). No harm in mentioning it in passing, though.

Judging it and what it's about without listening to it is pretty weak, though. I mean seriously, who the hell does that?

edit - To answer your question, though, it's every two weeks, as I already said. And it's about anything the people who are on that week want to talk about. DLC, pacing vs length, what makes a good platformer, remakes... In episode 20 I have an interview with a German guy making a NES homebrew game that's actually good! I'm pretty proud of that one.
Pandareus

Postby kenzo » Jan 20th, 2012 @ 5:33am

IRL_Troll wrote:HOLY FUCKING MOTHER OF GOD THERE IS NEW HARDCORE HISTORY UP!!!!! I can not wait to delve into it
Listening to this podcast is both interesting and infuriating at the same time. Sometimes he has interesting things to say and interesting perspectives. And sometimes his Eurocentric biases bleed through. And sometimes he just gets things wrong or misses the point. Like his description of the Europe under Rome versus outside the Empire as two very different things is a very wrong and antiquated view of the Ancient world. Or that the notion that these Germans just suddenly appeared one day to the North, or that the Chinese meticulously categorized the Steppe-peoples is false as well.

Pandareus wrote:There is a distinct lack of informed discussion about Nintendo on gaming podcasts. The existence of podcasts focused entirely on Nintendo makes sense: you can really get into details, really dig into the minutia.
That makes sense to a certain degree. Certain corners of the gaming world are ignored by more 'mainstream' outlets, and I can see the value of shining a spotlight on those things.

But when you focus in on just one machine and its games, you lose valuable perspective. You say your podcast talks about things like 'what makes a good platformer or remake', but if you narrow your examples and data pool to just one machine (or one family of machines) you're making judgements based on an incomplete understanding of things. I mean, if I tried to talk about "what makes a good FPS" and my only examples for comparison were Goldeneye, Turok, and Red Steel, I'd be laughed out of the forum. That's all I'm speaking to. Games are games, regardless of the platform they're on; ignoring the rest of the gaming market because you want to talk about just Nintendo is as short sided as everyone else who ignores Nintendo because they want to talk about Skyrim.

As for me 'making assumptions' - when you introduce yourself to the forums by saying, "I'm pretty much what you'd call a Nintendo fanboy," it's hard to not see a podcast dedicated to Nintendo as shilling for the Big N. The bottom line is, when you make something that 'discusses' something, you are raising its profile. That's a form of implicit promotion. I don't think it's off base to say that - that's simply how the world works.

All this said, I'm not trying to dis you, your hard work, or your perspectives. Just saying what I think and what I value.
kenzo

Postby Pandareus » Jan 20th, 2012 @ 5:44am

I'm all for criticism, I value it, but I don't value criticism based on what someone thinks my podcast (or any game, movie, book, etc.) is about or is like without ever listening to a minute of it. Feel free to not listen to it, god knows I'm not forcing anyone. But I would be grateful if you stopped pretending being an authority on it.

Most of what you say simply doesn't apply. If we do have knowledge of a pertinent example on another platform we'll mention it. Personally I also have a PSP and PS3, and I'm way too informed about the games on platforms I don't own like current gaming PCs or the 360. In the last episode we released, I was recording with two Steam fiends. Among the games discussed: Limbo, Super Meat Boy, Assassin's Creed 2 and more. We talked about Nintendo doing paid DLC for the first time with the next Fire Emblem. You think we based that discussion solely on the DLC we've seen already on Nintendo platforms? You can count those on the fingers of your hand.
Pandareus

Postby kenzo » Jan 20th, 2012 @ 6:03am

Talk about making assumptions. :lol: You know, I never claimed to know what your podcast is all about, or pretended to be an authority on your podcast. All I have to go on is what you've told me of it, and from what you've told me, it's a podcast about Nintendo. Is that wrong or something? And all I've said is that I don't find value in something with such a narrow scope, and why it is I feel that way. Back when magazines existed, I didn't subscribe to CGW, or Nintendo Power, or OPM, or any specialty magazine for the same reasons.
kenzo

Postby Pandareus » Jan 20th, 2012 @ 6:10am

I remember Pandarus at one point in his intro post saying he wasn't a fan of the console wars, but emphatically promoting one console over another does just that.

You don't need to claim to be something to act like you're something, and you acted like you knew what the podcast was all about in the above quote.

You're not interested in the podcast. That's fine, most people aren't. Keep not listening to it.
Pandareus

Postby kenzo » Jan 20th, 2012 @ 6:17am

You still don't get it. Even though you don't think you have, you've taken a side. And while you might not personally think you are promoting one, you are in effect doing so. Your average Joe Schmoe doesn't wake up out of the blue and decide, "I'm going to make a podcast about Nintendo" because he's unbiased and disinterested. You're a Nintendo fanboy, and that's fine. Please stop pretending that you aren't, or that you've retained some level of objectivity because that's clearly dishonest.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 20th, 2012 @ 6:34am

Kenzo is racist against Nintendo fans. Way to go, kenzo.
LiQuid

Postby Pandareus » Jan 20th, 2012 @ 6:46am

You still don't get it: you are speaking about something you have no clue about. You are talking about a podcast you haven't listened to, and you're talking about me when you don't know me, and refuse to listen to what I'm saying. I know I'm a Nintendo fan, I know it's fine, and I never pretended I was objective (I don't believe anyone is, and it's not determined on whether they own all consoles or not).

I'm probably wasting my time here, but I'll try this one last time and then I'll let you have the last word because you clearly really enjoy that (hmm, I'm gonna start enjoying making assumptions if this keeps up!).

The podcast is about Nintendo. We talk about Nintendo and we're talking from the perspective of a Nintendo fan and Nintendo fans are the ones who are going to listen to it. We're not apologetic about it because we know what we are and what we do, and we're perfectly fine with it. That said, while the main focus is Nintendo, our gaming experience is wider than that and we will draw from it frequently. If it's relevant to mention another platform or game we will do so. We won't stop ourselves from talking about it because unlike, say, Nintendo Power, Nintendo isn't paying us shit and they don't dictate what we can and can't talk about. It's my podcast and I'll say what I damn well please.

In theory, you'd think a podcast with a broader theme would bring you a wider (better?) perspective. I understand the logic, but in reality I don't find that's necessarily the case. Because gaming is so big now and no one can experience all of the worthwhile games out there, you have to pick and choose, game journalists same as anyone else. They will still specialize in the games and platforms they care most about. They are likely to be aware of more games than most people because their jobs are about games, true. But anyone who reads a lot of gaming sites can have a perspective just as wide. Pretty frequently I know all about some indie game that some gaming journalist on a podcast says he's never heard of.

If you listened to the Gamespy Debriefings, remember when Ryan played 5 minutes of Assassin's Creed 2 and then proceeded to talk about it for more time than he had played it? Was his perspective all that valuable? Meanwhile, I've played the whole thing, but I only bring the game up in conversations about, say, DLC or open world games. Am I lacking perspective?

My podcast is about Nintendo. That means you have to care about Nintendo to be interested in listening to it. You might hear about Assassin's Creed 2 on it, but you're not going to go my podcast in order to hear AC2 impressions. That's what it means; not that you should listen only if you care solely about Nintendo.
Pandareus

Postby LiQuid » Jan 20th, 2012 @ 6:54am

I feel bad cause you typed all that up and I probably could have prevented it had I not been joking around before, but kenzo just likes to argue about stupid shit for the sake of arguing. He doesn't really have anything meaningful to say on this or most other matters. I'm not saying this to be mean to the guy, or point fingers cause I do it too. I went back and read his initial post about your podcast and it's one of the most flamingly stupid things I've ever read in my entire life. This conversation should never have gone past just a :lol: emoticon redirected back at him.
LiQuid

Postby Pandareus » Jan 20th, 2012 @ 7:39am

Hey, I don't want to bash anyone. I just wanted to clear some misconceptions, I never meant to talk about the podcast this much, I don't need you guys to listen to it, I was just throwing it out there because hey, why not.

But after this talk, I feel we need to redefine "arguing semantics" because holy hell, I've never been involved in something like this.
Pandareus

Postby LiQuid » Jan 20th, 2012 @ 8:28am

We have to break you before we can rebuild you stronger than ever before.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 20th, 2012 @ 1:33pm

LiQuid wrote:We have to break you before we can rebuild you stronger than ever before.

As for 'clearing misconceptions,' is your podcast about Nintendo or not about Nintendo? Because one second you're like, "this podcast is all about Nintendo," and the next you're trying extraordinarily hard to argue that, "I swear to god, we talk about so much more than just Nintendo."
kenzo

Postby Pandareus » Jan 26th, 2012 @ 9:05am

Is it really that hard to wrap your head around the concept of a podcast that has Nintendo fans talking about video games, and mostly about Nintendo?

Concrete example: we talked about Mega Man in the last episode. One of the guys wished he had a portable version of the NES Mega Man games and I said MM 1-3 were available as PSOne imports for the PSP, because why wouldn't I?
Pandareus

Postby kenzo » Jan 26th, 2012 @ 2:14pm

Pandareus wrote:Is it really that hard to wrap your head around the concept of a podcast that has Nintendo fans talking about video games, and mostly about Nintendo?

Concrete example: we talked about Mega Man in the last episode. One of the guys wished he had a portable version of the NES Mega Man games and I said MM 1-3 were available as PSOne imports for the PSP, because why wouldn't I?
Is it really that hard to wrap your head around the concept of a podcast that has Nintendo fans talkg about video games, and mostly about Nintendo?

When you talk about the PSP and PSPOne imports in reference to NES games, it's still within the context and through the lens of Nintendo. That's still a narrow perspective. Argue all you want, but you're just arguing against yourself here. All I'm doing is pointing out that you yourself said "this podcast is all about Nintendo," and then you try to back peddle by saying, "well, maybe it isn't ALL about Nintendo." You sound like a shifty politician who goes on a firebrand speaking tour about "preserving family values" but then sheepishly back-peddles when confronted by moderate voters by saying, "I don't think sodomy is evil persay, just that the bible says this and that and that I think things should be this way and America was founded on these kinds of values, and I think people want a return to simpler times, and yadda yadda."
kenzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics