Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: Podcast Recommendations

Postby KindGalaxy » Mar 31st, 2011 @ 10:23pm

Idle Thumbs finally put up the video of last year's PAX Seattle panel. Go watch it here:

http://www.idlethumbs.net/blog/burnin-down-the-wolfman-now-in-video-form

Birdnoise.
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby IRL_Troll » Apr 1st, 2011 @ 7:39am

Do you have a day to kill? If so, listen to Dan Carlin's (currently) 5 part epic treatise on the fall of the roman republic on Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. You will not be disappoint
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby KindGalaxy » Apr 18th, 2011 @ 8:45pm

This guy does recaps 1UP Yours, he just released the 5+ hour long recap/highlight mp3 of 1UP Yours in 2007. So if you've never heard 1UP Yours, this is basically all the best bits in 5 hours.

http://thisyearcollection.blogspot.com/2011/04/7-1up-yours-2007.html

Really hoping he does a CGW/GFW one sometime
KindGalaxy

Postby UberGeek » Apr 19th, 2011 @ 1:21am

I know probably no one will care but I wanted to throw out what I listened to.

Some you guys might like these:
The Geekbox (Duh?)
This Week in Tech (Was said before)
PC Gamer (US Version)
Out of the Game (The rest of the brodeo's podcast)
Maximum PC No BS Podcast (Tech related about hardware and ranting)
The Art of Manliness (Only for men...)

Now for the computer security...
Security Justice (Guys talking about computer security in a bar.)
Social-Engineer.org Podcast (Social Engineering techniques and defenses)
PaulDotCom Security Weekly (Guys talking about computer security while drinking)
Exotic Liability (Ummm... yeah...)
UberGeek

Postby KindGalaxy » Jun 12th, 2011 @ 7:02pm

This Year Collection has released the latest two part 1UP Yours... for 2008, the last episodes.

I still feel choked up when in the last 18 minutes Garnett Lee starts crying... fuck.

http://thisyearcollection.blogspot.com/2011/06/10-1up-yours-2008.html

8 and a half hours, the final year of 1UP Yours.
KindGalaxy

Postby LiQuid » Jun 12th, 2011 @ 7:08pm

You and Garnett Lee are pussies.
LiQuid

Postby KindGalaxy » Jun 12th, 2011 @ 7:09pm

A man that can cry, is a man indeed. Regret nothing, live life, feel the pain, enjoy the happiness. I love you LiQuid.
KindGalaxy

Postby Fade2Black » Jun 13th, 2011 @ 3:06am

I listen to the following podcasts
all are available through iTunes.
Podcasts listed in boldface type are ones I listen to routinely.

The Comic Conspiracy
Geekbox
Comic Geek Speak

A Prairie Home Companion's News from Lake Wobegon
This American Life
Science Friday
TEDTalks
NPR: Live Concerts from All Songs Considered

Obviously our tastes may differ.
Fade2Black

Postby no51 » Jun 13th, 2011 @ 5:54pm

Joe Rogan Experience podcast. It's like a podcast by KindGalaxy. Well maybe not, but Joe Rogan is a giant hippie. Talking about psychedelic experiences and whatnot.
no51

Postby KindGalaxy » Jun 13th, 2011 @ 8:57pm

no51 wrote:It's like a podcast by KindGalaxy.

Whoa whoa whoa, that's all you had to say.
KindGalaxy

Postby IRL_Troll » Jun 14th, 2011 @ 5:56am

Savage Love podcast. Dan Savage is a fantastic love/sex guru, I learn shit about life and relationships with every episode. Personally LiQuid, I think you'll love "How Did This Get Made?" I think the podcast was made with you mind. It's an every other week podcast where they tell you what movie to see, then watch and discuss, and it has to be shitty movies. They've Battlefield Earth, Sucker Punch, Fast Five, Drive Angry, and many others. Good stuff. Once I'd love to recommend Weird Things, but since I'm still convinced this podcast was made specifically for me, it's hard to, though after listening to you a few weeks ago KG, I think you'd appreciate it
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Postby KindGalaxy » Jun 14th, 2011 @ 8:17am

Hmmm... I am enjoying these recommendations; though I did know about Joe Rogan's already it'd been a while since I tuned in to any of them. I shall get Troll's recommendation, Weird Things... sounds cool!
KindGalaxy

Postby LiQuid » Jun 14th, 2011 @ 8:49am

[quote="IRL_Troll"Personally LiQuid, I think you'll love "How Did This Get Made?" I think the podcast was made with you mind. It's an every other week podcast where they tell you what movie to see, then watch and discuss, and it has to be shitty movies. They've Battlefield Earth, Sucker Punch, Fast Five, Drive Angry, and many others. Good stuff.[/quote]
That does sound pretty rad actually and it even has Paul Scheer of Human Giant "fame" to boot! I don't really ever want for a movie-themed podcast, but I guess I've never heard one where they share a similar taste in badness to me. I might check it out.
LiQuid

Postby IRL_Troll » Jun 14th, 2011 @ 10:34am

KindGalaxy wrote:Hmmm... I am enjoying these recommendations; though I did know about Joe Rogan's already it'd been a while since I tuned in to any of them. I shall get Troll's recommendation, Weird Things... sounds cool!

I think you'll like it. I'd definitely start with the 2nd to last episode, and if it's still up look for the episode Room 717, I so wish they'd do more episodes like that one, but who knows
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Postby IRL_Troll » Jun 30th, 2011 @ 2:25am

YES!!! Newest Dan Carlin's Hardcore History came out. It's a 5-hour episode where Dan is doing his damndest to wrap up a 6 part series on the fall of the Roman Republic. My inner history nerd just died happy, only to be resuscitated so it can actually listen to this episode. Listen to parts 1-5 1st, then enjoy part 6 when you have a free weekend
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Postby kenzo » Jun 30th, 2011 @ 2:48am

IRL_Troll wrote:YES!!! Newest Dan Carlin's Hardcore History came out. It's a 5-hour episode where Dan is doing his damndest to wrap up a 6 part series on the fall of the Roman Republic. My inner history nerd just died happy, only to be resuscitated so it can actually listen to this episode. Listen to parts 1-5 1st, then enjoy part 6 when you have a free weekend
I started listening to this guy, and while I find him entertaining (he sounds JUST like Glen Beck), I have some issues with him too.

First and foremost, he concentrates way too much on wars, political intrigue, and the big movers and shakers of history - which is the old fashioned and antiquated way to examine history (there's so much more to history than this or that side clashing at specific dates for stupid reasons).

Second, he concentrates way too much on European history for my liking (and exhibits all the accompanying biases).

Third, he focuses way too much on morality and current day politics. Which might be fine because one of the big reasons for studying history is to put current events, cultural norms, politics, etc. into perspective. But instead he spends way too much time applying modern notions of morality and politics onto the past, which isn't very professional.
kenzo

Postby IRL_Troll » Jun 30th, 2011 @ 2:52am

It's tough to get the full perspective if you just listen to his most recent episode. He did an episode on the plight on the apache tribe, and slavery in general. He mentions the bias towards modern morality in his "blitz" episode "suffer the children" he never claims to be a history professor, but a history fan, which allows some leeway. To be honest, if you actually post on his forum, he'll more than likely address your grievances personally, he's very good about that
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Postby KindGalaxy » Jun 30th, 2011 @ 9:06pm

I've mentioned Glory Hole Radio before, and when they came out with a new show; Mad Scientist Party Hour, I mentioned that one. And when they came out with another, Why you Suck in Bed, I mentioned that one. And when they had The Jersey Jerks Show join, I mentioned that one.

Now they've added two more shows to their network,

Jim Florentine's Metal Comedy Midgets
Rob Kelly's You Know What Dude

Jim Florentine used to be in Crank Yankers, and he currently does The Metal Show on VH1
Rob Kelly tours regularly with Dane Cook, he did a voice in GTA 4, and he played Louie CK's brother in Season 1 of Louie on FX.

The entire Glory Hole Radio Network podcasts are fucking fantastic, and these two new podcasts joining is really making the entire network a great 6-show network to subscribe to.

Gloryhole Radio talk about anything/everything, sometimes have cool actors on like Samm Levine from Inglorious Bastards and Freaks and Geeks.
Mad Scientist Party Hour are geeky, talking about gaming and living in LA
Why You Suck in Bed is hosted by two girls in New York, and they just talk about sex alot
The Jersey Jerks Show are 3 ginnys and a mutt-chick talking about current events, and life in Jersey, and their hate for the Shore.

Anyway, go fucking check out their episodes!

http://www.gloryholeradio.com/
KindGalaxy

Postby AJR » Jun 30th, 2011 @ 11:54pm

kenzo wrote:
IRL_Troll wrote:YES!!! Newest Dan Carlin's Hardcore History came out. It's a 5-hour episode where Dan is doing his damndest to wrap up a 6 part series on the fall of the Roman Republic. My inner history nerd just died happy, only to be resuscitated so it can actually listen to this episode. Listen to parts 1-5 1st, then enjoy part 6 when you have a free weekend
I started listening to this guy, and while I find him entertaining (he sounds JUST like Glen Beck), I have some issues with him too.

First and foremost, he concentrates way too much on wars, political intrigue, and the big movers and shakers of history - which is the old fashioned and antiquated way to examine history (there's so much more to history than this or that side clashing at specific dates for stupid reasons).

Second, he concentrates way too much on European history for my liking (and exhibits all the accompanying biases).

Third, he focuses way too much on morality and current day politics. Which might be fine because one of the big reasons for studying history is to put current events, cultural norms, politics, etc. into perspective. But instead he spends way too much time applying modern notions of morality and politics onto the past, which isn't very professional.

Eh. Dan is pretty open about the things you listed, and they aren’t things that bother me personally. If there’s another history podcast with a bigger variety of topics that is anywhere near as entertaining, feel free to mention them.
I do a podcast with some guy. Feel free to listen.
http://earth-2.net/podcasts/extralives/extralives
AJR

Postby kenzo » Jul 1st, 2011 @ 12:05am

AJR wrote:Eh. Dan is pretty open about the things you listed, and they aren’t things that bother me personally. If there’s another history podcast with a bigger variety of topics that is anywhere near as entertaining, feel free to mention them.
Like I said, I still listen to it because he's entertaining and pretty intelligent/well spoken. And yeah, he's pretty self-aware of his biases, but he's still very prone to them. Most of my complaints seem like nitpicking - which they are to the average listener I suppose - but they're important issues for historians. To his credit, I haven't spent much time at all yelling at my mp3 player about how wrong he is; he usually does his homework pretty well.
kenzo

Postby AJR » Jul 1st, 2011 @ 12:47am

I just think it's kind of silly to be annoyed at the guy for concentrating on the parts of history he’s personally interested in. I don’t think the onus should be on him to fill in those blanks, but for other people who are equally as passionate about history in other parts of the world.
I do a podcast with some guy. Feel free to listen.
http://earth-2.net/podcasts/extralives/extralives
AJR

Postby KindGalaxy » Jul 1st, 2011 @ 12:52am

KindGalaxy wrote:I've mentioned Glory Hole Radio before, and when they came out with a new show; Mad Scientist Party Hour, I mentioned that one. And when they came out with another, Why you Suck in Bed, I mentioned that one. And when they had The Jersey Jerks Show join, I mentioned that one.

Now they've added two more shows to their network,

Jim Florentine's Metal Comedy Midgets
Rob Kelly's You Know What Dude

Jim Florentine used to be in Crank Yankers, and he currently does The Metal Show on VH1
Rob Kelly tours regularly with Dane Cook, he did a voice in GTA 4, and he played Louie CK's brother in Season 1 of Louie on FX.

The entire Glory Hole Radio Network podcasts are fucking fantastic, and these two new podcasts joining is really making the entire network a great 6-show network to subscribe to.

Gloryhole Radio talk about anything/everything, sometimes have cool actors on like Samm Levine from Inglorious Bastards and Freaks and Geeks.
Mad Scientist Party Hour are geeky, talking about gaming and living in LA
Why You Suck in Bed is hosted by two girls in New York, and they just talk about sex alot
The Jersey Jerks Show are 3 ginnys and a mutt-chick talking about current events, and life in Jersey, and their hate for the Shore.

Anyway, go fucking check out their episodes!

http://www.gloryholeradio.com/

Man this guy is smart! (new page, FU ALL I'm bumping this shitz up)
KindGalaxy

Postby IRL_Troll » Jul 11th, 2011 @ 9:44pm

Holy fucking shit. In my vain effort to fall asleep, I tried listening to The Apple Sisters. Good god this is the best podcast EVER. Maybe some hyperbole, but still. So hilarious.
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Postby Rodney » Jul 11th, 2011 @ 10:10pm

Feels like I've listened to at least one episode of everything in iTunes but if my current list of feeds is to be believed, it's mostly gaming podcasts I keep subscribed to:

The Comic Conspiracy
The GameSpy Debriefings
The Geekbox
Giant Bombcast
Irrational Podcasts
A Life Well Wasted
Out of the Game
The Totally Rad Show
Weekend Confirmed
Retronauts
8-4 Play
Rodney

Postby kenzo » Jul 11th, 2011 @ 10:18pm

Rodney wrote:Feels like I've listened to at least one episode of everything in iTunes but if my current list of feeds is to be believed, it's mostly gaming podcasts I keep subscribed to:

The Comic Conspiracy
The GameSpy Debriefings
The Geekbox
Giant Bombcast
Irrational Podcasts
A Life Well Wasted
Out of the Game
The Totally Rad Show
Weekend Confirmed
Retronauts
8-4 Play

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy????
kenzo

Postby Rodney » Jul 11th, 2011 @ 10:27pm

More for Jeff Cannata, less for Garnett Lee
Rodney

Postby kenzo » Jul 12th, 2011 @ 1:11am

Rodney wrote:More for Jeff Cannata, less for Garnett Lee
That podcast could come with free hand-jobs and it wouldn't be enough to make up for having to listen to Garnett Lee.
kenzo

Postby IRL_Troll » Jul 15th, 2011 @ 3:28pm

Not to overstate it, but everyone would lead happier lives for a day a week if that day had The Apple Sisters in it
Last edited by IRL_Troll on Jul 15th, 2011 @ 6:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Postby achickenchaser » Jul 15th, 2011 @ 5:25pm

Rodney wrote:More for Jeff Cannata, less for Garnett Lee

All those years of 1up Yours and it turns out it was the other people that made those shows worth listening to.

I don't listen to any serious gaming podcasts on a regular basis.

WAHP is the only one I listen to consistently. It comes out around once a month. It's a real treat if you were an old GameFan magazine reader from back in the day.
achickenchaser

Postby JeckalDied » Jul 25th, 2011 @ 6:39pm

Didn't see it recommended yet so I'll throw it out, if any one is interested in strategy games at all, I highly recommend Three Moves Ahead. It features people like Tom Chick and Bruce Geryk from the Tom Vs. Bruce column in CGW (Tom is also the runner of Quarter to Three), Julian Murdoch from Gamers With Jobs, Troy Goodfellow, a great reviewer turned PR man for companies like Paradox Interactive, and Rob Zacny, a great freelance writer.

http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/three-moves-ahead/
JeckalDied

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics