Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: relationship help

Postby LiQuid » Sep 22nd, 2011 @ 10:42pm

Being a girl sounds shitty as fuck.
LiQuid

Postby EllieChaos » Sep 22nd, 2011 @ 10:46pm

like i said... rant. maybe 3/4 was maybe too much. I just always try and look my best and it seems like guys usually don't even try. There is a fine line between taking care of yourself for the sake of showing you have some self esteem and being vain and self absorbed. I'm just frustrated with guys who think they can look like a hot mess and succeed in life (and quite often do despite their lack of working on how they look) and women are expected to always look good and are punished for looking just a little sloppy. Maybe i'm just delusional, but I feel like we should still take as much care as people in the 50's did. Everyone always well groomed and dressed. Women with hair and makeup done and dressed appropriately. Men always shaven and dressed well (though i understand suits aren't as practical as they once were). I understand men don't need to to as many things as women do. But I feel like women still put in a great deal of effort and men just don't.... unless they're gay or metro
EllieChaos

Postby EllieChaos » Sep 22nd, 2011 @ 10:47pm

LiQuid wrote:Being a girl sounds shitty as fuck.

It is at times, but only is youre not a slob or a slut. Though we do have boobies....
EllieChaos

Postby Konanda » Sep 22nd, 2011 @ 11:19pm

EllieChaos wrote:Ok, this is going to be a combo of me ranting and giving unsolicited advice to guys. Sorry in advance for the all caps rage.... IF YOU HAVE A GF OR ARE TRYING TO WOO A WOMAN, FOR GOD'S SAKE PUT AT LEAST 3/4 OF THE TIME WE DO INTO LOOKING GOOD!!!! Ok, thank you. I think guy's underestimate the time it can take for a girl to look good. We (generally) work hard to always be well groomed and pretty. Example: I just spent about hour shaving and waxing. Granted, I let it go a little since I haven't seen the boy in 5 days. But still..... he's going to come over tomorrow unshaven in more than 1 area. And that's not the half of it. tomorrow I spend at least 1 1/2 hours blowing drying and straightening my hair, cause it looks the nicest that way. I could chop off my hair and it wouldn't take nearly as long but the boy prefers me with long hair. I will spend half an hour picking out a cute and sexy (though not bordering on slutty) outfit to go to dinner in. Then i'll try and put on enough makeup to look like I care about my looks but not so much that it seems like i'm covering something up or have self esteem issues. After all this, he'll give me more compliments once I've taken off the makeup, put my hair up and am in sweats. We like to look pretty for you, please at least man-scape, shave, wash and style your hair and use moisturizer. This has been a public service announcement from the crazy, ranting bitch of the geek box forums.

I've found more girls appreciate the cleanshaven or just a bit of stubble (that kind of rugged thing) look than those that appreciate facial hair and since that shit gets itchy past a certain amount anyway I just go cleanshaven or a couple days stubble and I can tell you that takes like 5 minutes tops, even when I'm using a mechanical razor. (usually I go electric since I don't like shaving cream and shaving cream is hella bad for the environment so I try not to use it)

As for hair if it's short than usually running it through a comb a couple times is all I need because it's well short. If I have it longer (I've grown my hair out to about shoulder length before) than it takes a bit longer but my hair is naturally wavy when it gets longer and really other than running a comb or brush through it to make sure it's not knotted and such that's always kind of worked for me and again that takes like 10 minutes maybe.

Makeup, I don't own makeup and I'm not planning to anytime soon. Personally I also don't really like makeup on women that much in the first place. Very rarely does it not come off as being too much, not usually glaringly so but I find more often than not I'm just slightly aware that girl be wearing makeup. Personally I don't really care for it, sometimes it looks good but more often than not I don't see it as really adding much of anything aesthetically. However I'm not stupid and it usually doesn't really bother me so I don't say anything directly about it and such. That and most of the chicks I've dated were kind of shallow and didn't last that long so I never got to the point where I told them they looked better without it or it wasn't doing much for me, except once.

Below the belt that doesn't take super long either, I mean it takes longer than shaving your face but not 45 minutes.

As for moisturizer if I find I have dry skin somewhere I'll get on it but otherwise I never really run into that problem. Also, although I've found myself trying to make my hands feel smoother once or twice because some chick was into it, I've usually found girls are into rougher hands from their partner at least the ones I've met. Although that said my fingertips at least aren't as rough as they used to be because most of my callouses from guitar are no more after having not played regularly for the past 4 years or so.

BTW, washing your hair everyday is actually bad for your hair, I usually do it every other day or every three days. Mostly every other day though because I have oiler hair than most, I mean if I'm going out I'll wash it if it looks/feels dirty or oily but on a daily basis I don't wash my hair every day.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby Konanda » Sep 22nd, 2011 @ 11:35pm

EllieChaos wrote:like i said... rant. maybe 3/4 was maybe too much. I just always try and look my best and it seems like guys usually don't even try. There is a fine line between taking care of yourself for the sake of showing you have some self esteem and being vain and self absorbed. I'm just frustrated with guys who think they can look like a hot mess and succeed in life (and quite often do despite their lack of working on how they look) and women are expected to always look good and are punished for looking just a little sloppy. Maybe i'm just delusional, but I feel like we should still take as much care as people in the 50's did. Everyone always well groomed and dressed. Women with hair and makeup done and dressed appropriately. Men always shaven and dressed well (though i understand suits aren't as practical as they once were). I understand men don't need to to as many things as women do. But I feel like women still put in a great deal of effort and men just don't.... unless they're gay or metro

Suits were never that pratical and if it's during the summer those things are hot as hell if you have a jacket on. Plus dudes in the 50s weren't going to some crowded bar or club to try picking up girls, which is kind of one of the mainstays of places to trying to go looking for a romantic or sexual partner.

Like it or not jeans are acceptable and they come in all kinds of different cuts, styles and the like so they can look fashionable. Although I will say I usually go for something better than a graphic tee but rarely a dress shirt. Personally dress shirts are kind of boring, usually a button down or polo with an aesthetically appealing design or pattern works for me.

Also dress shoes being used outside of a job interview, wedding, formal event or cosplay just look weird. A nice pair of running shoes that are clean, look new to fairly new and aren't some crazy mess of colours I find are fine.
Konanda

Postby Konanda » Sep 22nd, 2011 @ 11:46pm

That said when it comes to winter I wear a peacoat over some polyester bullshit, mostly for aesthetic reasons seeing as both will keep me warm enough anyway.

Also I found it hilarious when I saw some dude at school wearing a peacoat but it was like 2 or 3 sizes to big for him and the length was way past his waist. I mean did dude not know how a peacoat is actually supposed to fit?
Konanda

Postby lemon-fresh » Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 12:34pm

Goddamn dude, summarize.
lemon-fresh

Postby Konanda » Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 12:37pm

Ah, it would be nice, wouldn't it.
Last edited by Konanda on Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 12:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konanda

Postby lemon-fresh » Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 12:38pm

EllieChaos wrote:Ok, this is going to be a combo of me ranting and giving unsolicited advice to guys. Sorry in advance for the all caps rage.... IF YOU HAVE A GF OR ARE TRYING TO WOO A WOMAN, FOR GOD'S SAKE PUT AT LEAST 3/4 OF THE TIME WE DO INTO LOOKING GOOD!!!! Ok, thank you. I think guy's underestimate the time it can take for a girl to look good. We (generally) work hard to always be well groomed and pretty. Example: I just spent about hour shaving and waxing. Granted, I let it go a little since I haven't seen the boy in 5 days. But still..... he's going to come over tomorrow unshaven in more than 1 area. And that's not the half of it. tomorrow I spend at least 1 1/2 hours blowing drying and straightening my hair, cause it looks the nicest that way. I could chop off my hair and it wouldn't take nearly as long but the boy prefers me with long hair. I will spend half an hour picking out a cute and sexy (though not bordering on slutty) outfit to go to dinner in. Then i'll try and put on enough makeup to look like I care about my looks but not so much that it seems like i'm covering something up or have self esteem issues. After all this, he'll give me more compliments once I've taken off the makeup, put my hair up and am in sweats. We like to look pretty for you, please at least man-scape, shave, wash and style your hair and use moisturizer. This has been a public service announcement from the crazy, ranting bitch of the geek box forums.

I enjoy putting effort into my appearance but current gender norms/stereotypes work both ways. I'll take more time in my appearance if girls have to make the first move and pick me up for dates. Or you women could just say "fuck it" and start putting less effort into shit like makeup because most males don't really care and you're probably only succeeding in impressing other females.
lemon-fresh

Postby lemon-fresh » Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 12:38pm

Konanda wrote:It would be nice, wouldn't it.

I would actually read and respond to more of your posts if you did.
lemon-fresh

Postby kenzo » Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 1:33pm

I'm currently LOLing at this whole page. Hours to do "manscaping"? :lol: They're called body-hair trimmers, and you can "manscape" in a matter of minutes; seconds even. I'm sorry Ellie, but you have some effed up standards.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 2:01pm

lemon-fresh wrote:Or you women could just say "fuck it" and start putting less effort into shit like makeup because most males don't really care and you're probably only succeeding in impressing other females.
LiQuid

Postby Bobloblaw » Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 2:29pm

Konanda wrote:I've found more girls appreciate the cleanshaven or just a bit of stubble (that kind of rugged thing) look than those that appreciate facial hair and since that shit gets itchy past a certain amount anyway I just go cleanshaven or a couple days stubble and I can tell you that takes like 5 minutes tops, even when I'm using a mechanical razor. (usually I go electric since I don't like shaving cream and shaving cream is hella bad for the environment so I try not to use it).

I figured you would be a straight razor or safety razor sort of a fellow. If you don't like shaving cream, learn to use shave soap. It is better for your face and the environment.
Bobloblaw

Postby IRL_Troll » Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 4:58pm

I manscape every once in a while. I've managed to land girls who aren't that picky in that subject. My regimen for looking presentable which requires shampoo, extra strength conditioner (I have incredibly flaky hair), soap, and body wash for showering, a straight razor (I aint no punk ass bitch that needs shaving cream or soap), and once a week an electric razor to get my beard even. Oh yeah, I have a beard now that I've been working on for 5 weeks. I've finally leaped out of the itchy zone. If you beat that 1st month, it's easy living with the beard

See!
My better half demanded one, so I went for it. I think it looks alright, given the pixelation doesn't do it justice

Which, there are ladies that dig the old school rugged lumberjack looking man. I albeit I don't remotely act the part, I'm looking it gradually more and more.
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby kenzo » Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 5:06pm

IRL_Troll wrote:Oh yeah, I have a beard now that I've been working on for 5 weeks. I've finally leaped out of the itchy zone. If you beat that 1st month, it's easy living with the beard

See!
It takes you four months to get out of the itchy zone? Your beard has filled out nicely, but I have to LOL @ your ability to grow facial hair if it takes you a whole month to get there. I wish I had the slow-growing facial hair of others; that's like 2 weeks for me.

Also, shaving cream isn't about being a wuss. It's about not wanting to show up to school or work or a date with cuts, rashes, and ingrown hairs all over your face, as well as getting an even shave.
kenzo

Postby IRL_Troll » Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 5:09pm

Like I said, the quality of my webcam doesn't do this magnificent thing justice. Plus I've trimmed it down twice because parts come in uneven
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby Raine » Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 7:52pm

I've ranted in defense of beards before, and will do so again.

Beards are awesome. Grizzly Adams beards are some of the coolest looking things a dude can have. Rocking some crazy old fashioned shit like a van dyke is awesome too. Now, I understand that chicks don't always dig big bushy beards, so one should keep this in mind if you're on the market. However, always consider your face before you decide to be a girly man and go clean shaven. All men look better with at least some kind of facial hair. This is scientific fact. Some look good with a 5 O'clock shadow, some with groovy sideburns, and some with full on beards. Take me, for instance. Clean shaven I look like a fool, because I have no chin. So I grow an artificial chin in the form of a goatee!

but for God's sake, shave your neck. Even if you're going full-on mountain man you'll want to give your chin, cheeks, and jaw a 2 - 3 inch headstart on your neck. Otherwise you'll like you're wearing some kind of badger bow-tie.
Raine

Postby Konanda » Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 9:50pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
I figured you would be a straight razor or safety razor sort of a fellow. If you don't like shaving cream, learn to use shave soap. It is better for your face and the environment.

Nope I'm an electric razor kind of dude, (although the razor I use has a straightish edge to it instead of something like those ones that bend around) I go and buy a disposable and shaving cream for more formal occasions. So quite rarely in comparison.

Although, I'm curious what lead you to believe I was a straight razor kind of guy.

Raine wrote:I've ranted in defense of beards before, and will do so again.

Beards are awesome. Grizzly Adams beards are some of the coolest looking things a dude can have. Rocking some crazy old fashioned shit like a van dyke is awesome too. Now, I understand that chicks don't always dig big bushy beards, so one should keep this in mind if you're on the market. However, always consider your face before you decide to be a girly man and go clean shaven. All men look better with at least some kind of facial hair. This is scientific fact. Some look good with a 5 O'clock shadow, some with groovy sideburns, and some with full on beards. Take me, for instance. Clean shaven I look like a fool, because I have no chin. So I grow an artificial chin in the form of a goatee!

but for God's sake, shave your neck. Even if you're going full-on mountain man you'll want to give your chin, cheeks, and jaw a 2 - 3 inch headstart on your neck. Otherwise you'll like you're wearing some kind of badger bow-tie.

I have a prominent chin so I don't need facial hair to compensate it. It's actually a little too prominent to the point where my lower jaw is both wider and a little bit longer than my upper jaw. As a result I have a slight underbite along with a crossbite. I've grown a goatee before and it makes my chin actually look too big in my opinion.

I usually go at least 4 days or so before shaving, that's about the point where the stubble is starting to look not so flattering and than I shave. Although I'll do sideburns when I grow my hair out.
Konanda

Postby arvalis » Oct 3rd, 2011 @ 3:55pm

I have listened to the Geekbox for a long time, but never saw fit to take advantage of the opportunities it offered. This seemed to be the only topic to post this on. I recently got dumped and as it happens, its been really hard. So I dusted off the old okcupid profile and have been trying to follow the advice that has been put forth on the show.

As a serious art student, I find it very difficult to find time to go out and do things. That coupled with my distaste of people that smoke or drink regularly makes it very hard to find anyone in San Francisco. So of course I come to a message board to try and find advice. Not even really sure what I'm looking for. Maybe just some criticism of my okcupid profile would help me on the right track, really taking a shot in the dark here. http://www.okcupid.com/profile/arvalis
arvalis

Postby Creep » Oct 4th, 2011 @ 2:59am

arvalis wrote:I have listened to the Geekbox for a long time, but never saw fit to take advantage of the opportunities it offered. This seemed to be the only topic to post this on. I recently got dumped and as it happens, its been really hard. So I dusted off the old okcupid profile and have been trying to follow the advice that has been put forth on the show.

As a serious art student, I find it very difficult to find time to go out and do things. That coupled with my distaste of people that smoke or drink regularly makes it very hard to find anyone in San Francisco. So of course I come to a message board to try and find advice. Not even really sure what I'm looking for. Maybe just some criticism of my okcupid profile would help me on the right track, really taking a shot in the dark here. http://www.okcupid.com/profile/arvalis

I was an art student as well, so I can relate.

However, what I might change is the emphasis on art in your profile. I realize that it is a very important part of your life (as it is with mine), but such focus on it on a dating profile really narrows your market. You are essentially asking for people who appreciates art and nobody else.

If you were to mention, "Obviously art is very important to me, but aside from that..." and go on from there, you would be able to expose your multi-faceted personality and give others different things to relate to.

As it is, it seems like art is priority number one, and everything else comes second. Potential romantic interests do not want to come second. Even if this is the case, play it down.

In my life, I might mention that I enjoy bring creative and making art to others casually. Then leave it alone. Later I might show some of my work and let it speak for itself. It's like a "oh yeah, i'm good at that too, no big deal." kind of thing. Having talent, but being super humble about it, looks good.

I would try and show that you are a thoughtful, creative person with a number of different interests, with room for someone to share it all with.

On a sidenote, you are in San Francisco, there are so many beautiful locations to take your picture at. Go outside, find a nice spot, uncross your arms, and take another picture. Having interesting scenery around your make you seem more interesting in turn.

Then again, what do I know?
Creep

Postby EllieChaos » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 3:45pm

arvalis wrote: Maybe just some criticism of my okcupid profile would help me on the right track, really taking a shot in the dark here. http://www.okcupid.com/profile/arvalis

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!!
EllieChaos

Postby Retro Clone » Oct 12th, 2011 @ 11:38pm

any good clean chat sites(hell even irc chat or something) for bi-sexual/Gay men? and not just pervs wanting to see you jerk off?
Always take a banana to a party.

"@[=g3,8d]\&fbb=-q]/hk%fg"
Retro Clone

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 14th, 2011 @ 5:11am

I wanted to help so I googled gay chat... never again. I got onto this thing called chat-avenue and got a pm asking to be a master and another dude wanting a chubby OR canadian... lol... fuck. Let us know how you go in finding the quest for gay chatty... I used to be apart of a Lovelink site, and put myself down as interested in guys and girls; I was just looking for friends/tour guides on travels... and I had a shitload of gay contacts. Anyway this thing has a girls only section, im heading to that chat room :D
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby LiQuid » Oct 14th, 2011 @ 5:12am

What's so pervy about wanting to see you jerk off?
LiQuid

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 14th, 2011 @ 5:18am

I've only done that once, with this woman... 10 years older than me, ugh fuck; never forget that. Especially that moment right before you cum, and I HAD NOT PREPARED FOR IT... so I'm like looking around for something to cum on that I can wash, or something, cos I don't want to fuck up the carpet... ended up using a shot glass. I threw it out

Really its okay to just want to chat to people, without the notion of beating off/shlicking. Conversation makes that warm fuzzy heart feeling.
KindGalaxy

Postby kenzo » Oct 14th, 2011 @ 6:12am

You should have kept the shot glass, labeled it, and used it for serving shots to assholes you don't like. And then if they piss you off later on the night you can be like "guess what dbag - I jizzed all over that shotglass you drank from before. I didn't even wash it."
kenzo

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 21st, 2011 @ 11:54pm

Gathering the balls to tell this girl out to a actual date. We've been friends for a few months now, she's awesome... and typical me, I have no worries banging out with no emotional attachment, but when my heart falls in love I become the mouse and I can't fucking say the right thing, when I want to say it, or how I want to say it. Tonight is the night I do it, like 4 hours from now... not planning anything, just going to her house for a light dinner and movie time, its that time I'll ask her out on an actual date I think... still nervous, if I pull this off it'll be the first actual girlfriend since I got divorced 10 months ago.
KindGalaxy

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 22nd, 2011 @ 12:00pm

Grew the balls I was looking for. Spent the night up in the hills looking out at the airport and beyond that the ocean, this is the beginning of something good.
KindGalaxy

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 27th, 2011 @ 11:59am

So I asked that one out, said yes, then tonight I meet this new girl, 30yo, accountant, gorgeous. Got 4 on the string, dunno which one to tug on yet.
KindGalaxy

Postby Konanda » Oct 27th, 2011 @ 12:38pm

Wait, weren't you just raving about the Taiwanese woman last week? KG you sure are fickle. ;)
Konanda

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics