Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Quilts!

Postby tnitnetny » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 7:49am

Per a request from a couple of people, here is a thread all about my quilts.

My website is here: http://www.tnitnetny.deviantart.com/

I REALLY like making the geek/gaming quilts, but unfortunately I haven't been able to make a lot of them lately. I have this awesome Tetris pattern that I have all the fabric for, but haven't had time. I started an Alliance quilt, but stupid me made a King size (which I will never do again). So it is sitting there half done. I may finish it one day and sell it on Etsy.

For those that don't feel like going through the pictures but want to see the geeky quilts:

Made for Brock for his new baby.

Made for a craft swap for someone obsessed with Link

Made for Greg Dean (Real Life Comics)

Made for my boyfriend who is obsessed with Super Mario 3

Bass made for a commission.

Dabeast is next up on my list for quilts to make. I should get his done within 2 weeks (would be faster but there is a lot of hockey and poker in the next 2 weeks scheduled).
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Re: Quilts!

Postby IMLabman » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 8:11am

The Mario tanooki suit one is awesome! If you don't mind my asking, what are your rates?
IMLabman

Postby tnitnetny » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 8:19am

Click on the website, they are all on there. It is a scale because the quilts cost different amounts to make. For example, if you look at the day and nights there are 3. The first one is made in imported asian fabrics and cost me $200 in materials alone. The last one I made with bargain fabric and cost me $40 in materials.

So I get the price by multiplying what my cost of materials is times 2 (times 3 if it is an extremely difficult and time consuming quilt like the double wedding ring was).

Quilts take me at least 20 hours of work, so I am told all the time I don't charge enough, but it is a lot of fun for me. Especially when the quilt I make is loved.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 11:19am

If we provide/submit a design/pattern, can you make it?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby IMLabman » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 11:33am

tnitnetny wrote:Click on the website, they are all on there. It is a scale because the quilts cost different amounts to make. For example, if you look at the day and nights there are 3. The first one is made in imported asian fabrics and cost me $200 in materials alone. The last one I made with bargain fabric and cost me $40 in materials.

So I get the price by multiplying what my cost of materials is times 2 (times 3 if it is an extremely difficult and time consuming quilt like the double wedding ring was).

Quilts take me at least 20 hours of work, so I am told all the time I don't charge enough, but it is a lot of fun for me. Especially when the quilt I make is loved.

Cool! I'm broke as hell right now, but a geeky quilt would make a bad ass Christmas gift.
IMLabman

Postby tnitnetny » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 11:50am

jinpei05 wrote:If we provide/submit a design/pattern, can you make it?

It depends on the design/pattern and how big you want it. If you have a classic sprite, more then likely yes, I could definitely chain it. If the design is more current with a lot of curves I would not be able to chain it, but if it is simple and has a maximum of 3 colors I could embroider it like I did Brocks'. (The largest area I could embroider something is 5x5).

I can also embroider names, dates, anything you want that is simple and 3 colors or less.

Or I can do stuff like this:

I was given this picture http://i52.tinypic.com/20svh2o.jpg and asked to make a quilt that was inspired by it and matched a room that had a lot of iron furniture with scroll work. I came up with this: http://www.tnitnetny.deviantart.com/#/d36xfhl. The black fabric has small silver scollwork running through it. Ask Brock, pictures don't do a lot of these justice.

I love creating new and interesting patterns, that is how I came up with the Bass quilt. Most of the time people send me ideas and give me a budget and size of quilt. I work up the design and tell them what I can and can't do and give them a price range within $20. After I buy the fabric then I give a final price. I always try to get fabric on sale to save people money.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby dabeast0976 » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 12:28pm

get in line, boys. I'm next. Wait...that sounded dirtier than it should... :oops:
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 12:29pm

This thread is turning into the GameSpy Debriefings, what with talking about running a train and all... :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby tnitnetny » Mar 16th, 2011 @ 5:09am

All finished with Dabeasts' quilt. I have nothing on my plate until Greg and Liz Dean tell me what the theme of their baby quilt is, so I will work on all of my half finished projects. Maybe I can finally get that Aliance quilt sewn and put up on Etsy to sell.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 16th, 2011 @ 5:20am

If I ever had a baby, it would need a UFP quilt.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Mar 16th, 2011 @ 7:33am

kenzo wrote:If I ever had a baby, it would need a UFP quilt.

Your baby is going it hate its life.
LiQuid

Postby kevinep3 » Mar 16th, 2011 @ 9:25am

when i get money i think i may request a lost one with dharma logos all over it.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby tnitnetny » Mar 16th, 2011 @ 9:35am

I could do that. I don't know if my machine could handle the medical staff but I could play around with it and see. I love my machine and the embroidery it is able to handle. :D
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby Coctopus » Mar 16th, 2011 @ 11:38am

tnitnetny wrote:I could do that. I don't know if my machine could handle the medical staff but I could play around with it and see. I love my machine and the embroidery it is able to handle. :D

Wait so are all of the Lantern symbols on Brody's blanket embroidered? That's pretty impressive if they are.
Coctopus

Postby tnitnetny » Mar 16th, 2011 @ 11:57am

Yes, they are each embroidered. I made each square myself. Any quilt that is on my site that has designs like that is embroidered.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby kevinep3 » Mar 16th, 2011 @ 12:01pm

do you think you could get me an estimate for the lost one? it would either be a lap quilt or twin. gonna start putting some money aside for this.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Mar 16th, 2011 @ 6:51pm

How much would a quilt with a pixel Batman cost me? Think NES Batman. I couldn't find a picture big enough. I couldn't afford it now, but I would love to purchase a quilt in like a couple months. That's a really long time to ask ahead isn't it?
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby tnitnetny » Mar 17th, 2011 @ 5:54am

kevinep3 wrote:do you think you could get me an estimate for the lost one? it would either be a lap quilt or twin. gonna start putting some money aside for this.

Price ranges are up on my website, but like I said it could change depending on the cost of materials. Embroidery thread is about $4 for a small spool so it may run a few dollars more (as a comparison I had to buy about 9 spools for Brock's quilt) if I can't get the fabric on sale. So a lost embroidery quilt would be about $110-$140 for lap and $150-$180 for a twin. (Plus exact S&H).

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:How much would a quilt with a pixel Batman cost me? Think NES Batman. I couldn't find a picture big enough. I couldn't afford it now, but I would love to purchase a quilt in like a couple months. That's a really long time to ask ahead isn't it?

That would be awesome to make and exactly the perfect thing for a pixel quilt. The trick is you need to find a good 16 bit sprite that looks good when enlarged. This is the best sprite I could find:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/tni ... atman1.jpg

If you don't like that, the next step would be to find a perler batman someone has made and I would ask permission to turn their art into a quilt. I found two that I could work with:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/tni ... atman2.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/tni ... atman3.jpg

The cost for the quilt would be the standard price range (depending on the fabric costs) that are on my site of $90-$120. Even though you are thinking months down the road, it doesn't hurt to ask now. :D I can ALWAYS get the pattern done and if you don't get the quilt, I have another pattern I could possibly make for the future!
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Mar 17th, 2011 @ 9:17am

Shoot, $120 isn't bad at all. That first one is almost exactly what I'm thinking of. If you remember the NES game he's kind of like purple.

http://www.old-wizard.com/wp-content/up ... ntendo.png

I could find a better quality if I looked further, but that's an example of what I would want. First one looks perfect though.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby tnitnetny » Mar 17th, 2011 @ 9:37am

I could change the colors in the sprite I showed you to match the purple in the screenshot you found. It won't be exact (limited to the colors I can find at the store) but I could definitely lean toward purple instead of blue.

I get told all the time I don't charge enough ;) Maybe one day when I don't have as much time I might raise my prices, but I look at is as something I am doing for fun and get a little gas money out of it.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Mar 17th, 2011 @ 9:39am

That would be amazing. I'll be back here as soon as I can. Yeah, you really don't seem to be charging enough.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby dabeast0976 » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 11:08am

Toni, i just got the quilt delivered and it is fan-fucking-tastic. I can't wait to give it to Catie. I'll send you a pic when he gets it.
dabeast0976

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 11:13am

dabeast0976 wrote:Toni, i just got the quilt delivered and it is fan-fucking-tastic. I can't wait to give it to Catie. I'll send you a pic when he gets it.

o_O
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby tnitnetny » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 11:20am

I am sure it is a typo and he means she. ;)

I am REALLY glad you like it! Like I said before, my goal is for the recipient to love the quilt as much as I love making them. :D
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby dabeast0976 » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 11:43am

It's a five year old laptop. Sometimes the keys don't work correctly and i rely on spell check.
dabeast0976

Postby EllieChaos » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 10:07pm

OMG!! so glad i discovered this forum! i'm not the only geek who quilts, though mine aren't ask good. check em out, i'd like some feed back.... http://www.etsy.com/shop/EllieChaos
EllieChaos

Postby LiQuid » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 10:26pm

Uhh, sorry lady, but this forum's only big enough for one Beck...
LiQuid

Postby EllieChaos » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 10:45pm

LiQuid wrote:Uhh, sorry lady, but this forum's only big enough for one Beck...

huh...??/
EllieChaos

Postby kenzo » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 10:52pm

EllieChaos wrote:
LiQuid wrote:Uhh, sorry lady, but this forum's only big enough for one Beck...
huh...??/
He's making jokes, pay no mind.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 11:13pm

PAY LOTS OF MIND!
LiQuid

Next
Forum Statistics