Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: Quilts!

Postby tnitnetny » Jan 4th, 2012 @ 1:52pm

It is actually why I learned how to quilt 3 1/2 years ago. I cross stitched and made perler things, but everyone in artist alley does that. I saw a really nice Mario quilt on line one day that someone made for a friend and thought "I could do that, make original designs, and then be the only one at cons!" I didn't actually start cons with my quilts until this past July because I didn't think my skills were up to par yet.

I have made patterns for a spiderman and a batman quilt for the Pittsburgh comic con and am trying to do a superman and wonder woman. They are both giving me issues.

I wish I could just open a quilt store and do this as a full time job, but alas I need to make money and can't just quilt full time. This just gives me a little pocket money.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby Starwats » Jan 8th, 2012 @ 2:14pm

I assume that was you on this week's comedy button episode?
LiQuid wrote:I think secretly kenzo gets even madder about Dota than even Dakazu.

No trading.
Starwats

Postby LiQuid » Jan 8th, 2012 @ 4:50pm

Starwats wrote:I assume that was you on this week's comedy button episode?

No, it was Ellie.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5504
LiQuid

Postby Fade2Black » Jan 8th, 2012 @ 5:26pm

tnitnetny, I'm just reading this thread for the first time.

I'm sure it's been said countless times, but it bears repeating.
Your quilts are amazing!

(hehe . . . . a quilt-based thread * talk about role reversal * )
Fade2Black

Postby tnitnetny » Jan 9th, 2012 @ 9:32am

LiQuid wrote:
Starwats wrote:I assume that was you on this week's comedy button episode?

No, it was Ellie.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5504

Yeah, that was Ellie, not me. I live in Maryland, so can't get out to California very often. Plus, I had Magfest all weekend so had to prepare. Speaking of Magfest, it was AMAZING! So amazing, I actually never left my table and did anything. I got about 4 hours of sleep, contracted con plague and have no voice, but it was totally worth it. I sold almost all of the quilts I brought with me (except Luigi and Zelda, no one likes the side kick or love interest), met some awesome industry people, and took a lot of orders for custom quilts. I am really excited about some of these quilts.

Thanks Fade2Black! I always love to hear feedback, both good and bad. If it wasn't for someone pointing out the error on my Bass quilt, I may have done it again. I got a LOT of praise for baby Brock's quilt this past weekend.

I decided when I get these commissions finished, the next quilt I have to make is a Tardis quilt. So many people asked me for one.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby manta173 » Jan 9th, 2012 @ 9:37am

I require a picture of this"Tardis Quilt"... Since it doesn't exist yet but when it does I assume it will travel through time... You should be able to upload a picture for it yesterday. ;-)
manta173

Postby tnitnetny » Jan 9th, 2012 @ 9:43am

LOL, awesome. I really hope I get to it soon. I know exactly what I want to do with it, but commissions come first. I also need to make batman and spiderman quilts for the Pittsburgh Comic Con. I am excited about the Bowser commission I have right now too. Working up some patterns today. I also probably have a commission on a Borderlands quilt, just waiting for the down payment.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby tnitnetny » Jan 10th, 2012 @ 2:02pm

Interview with my friend Nicole and I at Magfest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af9r3v2_ ... ature=plcp
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby tnitnetny » Jan 14th, 2012 @ 3:07pm

I'd like some opinions. What quilts should I make for my next convention that I haven't already done? I have made patterns for batman, spiderman, and superman. I of course have the green lantern as well. I am also planning the tardis quilt. Is there anything else that would appeal to a lot of people that I should make? Either comic book, video game, or geek related.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jan 14th, 2012 @ 10:11pm

The quiltz i want would probably not sell well for you. I woul d plunkdown cash money on a suikoden-sprite quilt. Heres some drunken ideas you should think about doing because they will guarantee sell:

-the half-life lambda
-the dreamcast swirl
-a triforce
-a stylized 'N7' mass effect logo.
-a mario sprite in a tanuki suit
-a foxhound logo
-a quilt that looks like a screen cap of tetris.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 14th, 2012 @ 11:12pm

I humbly ask that you never make a rabite quilt because it would pain me to know of one out there not in my possession. This is a selfish request, but also I just think the thing wouldn't sell.

To be perfectly honest, it sounds shitty and you probably already know it, but if you just made a dozen assorted Mario and Link quilts they would have a better chance at selling out than if you kept doing random assorted sprites. I'm sure you don't want to turn yourself into a human conveyor belt though, so that's probably not what you're looking for.
LiQuid

Postby Konanda » Jan 14th, 2012 @ 11:18pm

tnitnetny wrote:I'd like some opinions. What quilts should I make for my next convention that I haven't already done? I have made patterns for batman, spiderman, and superman. I of course have the green lantern as well. I am also planning the tardis quilt. Is there anything else that would appeal to a lot of people that I should make? Either comic book, video game, or geek related.

What kind of con you going to? Multi-genre, comics, sci-fi, anime, videogames, music, etc. Whatever it is you should probably do something that would appeal to that kind of crowd.

Multi-genre probably being the easiest.

Also based on what I've seen at multi-genre cons Pokemon is pretty evergreen. Although I think a slime would be cool and you already know my opinion on Kirby.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby tnitnetny » Jan 15th, 2012 @ 6:59am

kenzo wrote:-the half-life lambda
-the dreamcast swirl
-a triforce
-a foxhound logo

Half-life is probably a good one. I already have a triforce (link link holding it) that I will remake. I also have the mario in a tanooki suit, but I could remake that one too. I also have the tetris quilt I just sold at the last convention. You didn't look at my quilts before you made the list did you? ;)

What is the foxhound logo from?

LiQuid wrote:I humbly ask that you never make a rabite quilt because it would pain me to know of one out there not in my possession. This is a selfish request, but also I just think the thing wouldn't sell.

To be perfectly honest, it sounds shitty and you probably already know it, but if you just made a dozen assorted Mario and Link quilts they would have a better chance at selling out than if you kept doing random assorted sprites. I'm sure you don't want to turn yourself into a human conveyor belt though, so that's probably not what you're looking for.

I agree that te Rabite is so specific that I probably won't make it unless someone commissions me to. Not Luigi, but Link. I could pump out tons of Mario and Link quilts to seel, ut you are right, it gets boring.
Konanda wrote:What kind of con you going to? Multi-genre, comics, sci-fi, anime, videogames, music, etc. Whatever it is you should probably do something that would appeal to that kind of crowd.

Also based on what I've seen at multi-genre cons Pokemon is pretty evergreen. Although I think a slime would be cool and you already know my opinion on Kirby.

The one in April is a Comic Book convention, which is why I asked for comic book ideas. The one in June is another video game convention, so even if I make video game ones now and they don't sell, they might sell in June.

So I will probably pump out a bunch of Marios and Links. I may make the Sonic again with a different background. I will look into the half life swirl and see how hard that would be. I thought about a Pokemon, but remember, I want to appeal to people with MONEY. I could do Hello Kitty and Pokeball, but would they sell for the $120 I charge? I will probably do another Kirby quilt too, that one sold quickly.

Thanks guys!! Any comic book ones you think? My mother suggested joker, so I am going to look into him today.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby Fade2Black » Jan 15th, 2012 @ 2:08pm

tnitnetny wrote:I'd like some opinions. What quilts should I make for my next convention that I haven't already done? I have made patterns for batman, spiderman, and superman. I of course have the green lantern as well. I am also planning the tardis quilt. Is there anything else that would appeal to a lot of people that I should make? Either comic book, video game, or geek related.

This suggestion is sort of niche, but since the critically acclaimed graphic novel has sold tons of copies (last I looked it was on its 14th printing - or thereabouts), there may be a market for it. The book I was thinking of is Blankets, by Craig Thompson. I'm not sure how well the image would translate to a quilt, but the cover is sort of minimalistic in regards to detail so it might work.
A Blankets cover quilt has a sort of multiple-entendre novelty that might appeal to geeks.

Fade2Black

Postby tnitnetny » Jan 15th, 2012 @ 6:35pm

I could do that, minus the couple. The couple is way too much detail for a quilt. That may fall under the "specialization" category too where it appeals to a lot of people, but may not appeal to the specific people that have money and want a quilt. I am thinking more of wonder woman, thor, anything big that would appeal to a super range of people, like the Mario and Link quilts I make now.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby Konanda » Jan 15th, 2012 @ 8:46pm

tnitnetny wrote:I could do that, minus the couple. The couple is way too much detail for a quilt. That may fall under the "specialization" category too where it appeals to a lot of people, but may not appeal to the specific people that have money and want a quilt. I am thinking more of wonder woman, thor, anything big that would appeal to a super range of people, like the Mario and Link quilts I make now.

Avengers movie is supposed to be out this year, so there is that.
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Jan 16th, 2012 @ 1:34am

tnitnetny wrote:
kenzo wrote:-the half-life lambda
-the dreamcast swirl
-a triforce
-a foxhound logo

Half-life is probably a good one. I already have a triforce (link link holding it) that I will remake. I also have the mario in a tanooki suit, but I could remake that one too. I also have the tetris quilt I just sold at the last convention. You didn't look at my quilts before you made the list did you? ;)
Nope, I said I was drunk.

tnitnetny wrote:What is the foxhound logo from?
Metal Gear!
That would sell gangbusters.

You should also do one with the UFP or Starfleet logo:
Maybe even a quilt with both: one on each side!?
kenzo

Postby tnitnetny » Jan 16th, 2012 @ 6:40am

Those are both way too complicated to digitize and turn into sprites unfortunately. Unless I do an embroidery quilt and then the price would be too much. ><

Avengers though, I may be able to work with.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby manta173 » Jan 16th, 2012 @ 8:08am

I think anything from valve would sell at a video game related con. Us valve fans are pretty loyal and a lot of us started with the original half life (college or high school in the late 90's means money now). Maybe the crowbar from the first Half Life game... it could be pixelized I would think. Also as was mentioned above the lambda logo... just google lambda logo half life.

Also I don't know if it would be possible but a 9 square quilt with one square for each class in team fortress would be pretty popular. Might look through the valve store to see thier shirt designs.
manta173

Postby tnitnetny » Jan 16th, 2012 @ 11:02am

Great ideas! Thanks! I think I may be able to make an embroidery quilt with the Team Fortress Stuff. I have plenty to work with now.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby Konanda » Jan 16th, 2012 @ 4:28pm

tnitnetny wrote:I thought about a Pokemon, but remember, I want to appeal to people with MONEY. I could do Hello Kitty and Pokeball, but would they sell for the $120 I charge? I will probably do another Kirby quilt too, that one sold quickly.

There is plenty of people with disposable income that have nostalgia for old school Red/Blue and Gold/Silver. Also the competitive Pokemon scene is pretty big, although they are probably more interested in constructing an awesome team to kick people's ass at tournaments with.

Also I know the VG Cats guy did gangbusters when he sold volume 1 of this web comic (Super Effective) at a con,

That said this is the first I've ever heard (let alone seen) about selling quilts at a con. So it's kind of uncharted waters, in terms of offering advice aside from this thing is popular.
Konanda

Postby tnitnetny » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 6:13am

I ended up deciding to make batman, spiderman, and superman quilts. I found this awesome fabric of each I will use for backing. I probably won't have time for more then that because I am also making a Tardis quilt and a few different Mario's.

In the mean time, I am finally finishing up on some commissions. My gaming has been suffering, but I am getting them done! I love the woman that commissioned this one from me. I really think it is my favorite quilt I have made so far.

tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby dabeast0976 » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 8:45am

Guys, i strongly suggest buying a quilt from Toni. Not only does it support one of us, but they are fantastic. My daughter still uses the one that Toni made for her second birthday.
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby tnitnetny » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 8:47am

Awww, I am glad she likes it. :D

Even if people don't buy or comission quilts, I like stalkers on my facebook and deviantart. Plus I like the feedback so I can try to make them better. I just finished a Valis quilt from a comission that I will probably put up on Monday.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby manta173 » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 9:51am

I love the bowser quilt... I'm going to have to get one of these as soon as I'm not saving up for my wedding. Don't know which design I want or if I want a new design.
manta173

Postby tnitnetny » Mar 12th, 2012 @ 11:49am

I had never heard of Valid until a guy walked up to me at Magfest and said "Could you do a Valis quilt?" I said a what? After looking online to see what he was talking about, I made this for him:

He was pretty happy. It was exactly what he wanted.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Mar 12th, 2012 @ 12:07pm

So great. Love seeing obscure shit like that done on commission. How many Valis quilts do you think even exist in the entire world? I'd wager it's single digit.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Mar 12th, 2012 @ 12:08pm

Bowser & Valis are the best ones you've made so far!
kenzo

Postby tnitnetny » Mar 12th, 2012 @ 12:18pm

Just wait until the Tardis quilt is done. I am loving the way it is turning out. I actually did a search for Valis quilts when I was making the design and I couldn't find a single one. I also love doing the obscure shit too on commission. It is why I try to be commission only.

I do love that Bowser quilt though. I may make another one for me.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby tnitnetny » Mar 29th, 2012 @ 4:51am

Finishing up all of the quilts for the Pittsburgh Comic Con in 3 weeks. If anyone is going, stop by and say hi! I decided to make a few more of my regular mario's, superman, batman, spiderman, and of course the Tardis. I am in the quilting and binding stages now so will post them as they are finished.

Finished up Superman last night.

tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics