Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Struggling with homosexuality? There's an app for that...

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 21st, 2011 @ 4:22pm

I wish this was a joke, but it's not...

Apple is under fire for approving an app that encourages "the freedom to grow into heterosexuality" for those who are gay or transgender, and an online petition campaign to pull the app has garnered more than 107,000 signatures.

The app, in the Lifestyle category of the iTunes App Store, is called Exodus International, which is the name of the organization which describes itself as "the world’s largest ministry to individuals and families impacted by homosexuality. With over 35 years of ministry experience, Exodus is committed to encouraging, educating and equipping the Body of Christ to address the issue of homosexuality with grace and truth."

But it's more than that, contends social activist group Change.org, which along with Truth Wins Out, which "fights anti-gay religious extremism," is behind the petition drive against what is being dubbed the "gay cure" app.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/exodus-international/id418794954?mt=8
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Re: Struggling with homosexuality? There's an app for that...

Postby Konanda » Mar 21st, 2011 @ 4:42pm

Spineless corporation pumping out shitty content to get their 30% cut, there is a Steve Jobs for that.

/shitty sarcastic diss

Anyway, that is pretty fucked up but Apple allowing fucked up things to happen does not suprise me.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby KindGalaxy » Mar 21st, 2011 @ 6:10pm

I downloaded it to see if it was so anti gay... it seems not really. What I see on the Exodus app page was an expression of religious beliefs which most do not agree with. They are a interdenominational religious organisation that believes homosexuality is a sin. For the most part those not caring about what a fundamentalist Christian church believes, teaches, practices are mad as hell about it appearing in the iTunes App Store.

Overall the app is not promoting gay cure that much, it has events of the Church, some video functions, real stories, and latest news from the Church or articles referencing the Church. Their teachings in this regard are not as extreme as some I have heard of, they teach abstinence, strengthening masculine and feminine identities in men/women and encouraging the social norms of men and women. There are some that go far further, to the point of 2 month camps, extreme dietary change, starvation, and on and on. This one does not do that.

Let them have their app. I can download a podcast that had an entire episode dedicated to drinking gallons of water and having pissing contests, another called "A Slut's Guide", guess what that's about. If you don't want the app, don't use it, nobody around here would even know about it if it wasn't so promoted in the media.

And at least go download it and try it instead of reading reports of opinions, it's a free app to go look at.
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby IRL_Troll » Mar 21st, 2011 @ 6:36pm

I'm sure there a plenty of apps out there that try to suppress how people really feel. Interesting that this one gets pegged out of all things. Albeit I see religious folk trying to peddle this as misguided at best, considering how apple has let things that are clearly scams, incredibly shit quality, or have other dubious agendas, I see no reason to not let this app get sold.
Can we still make of fun of it? Fuck yes we can
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby lemon-fresh » Mar 21st, 2011 @ 7:06pm

I agree with kind
lemon-fresh

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Mar 21st, 2011 @ 8:19pm

Agree with Kind as well.

Also 30% of nothing is still nothing.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby KindGalaxy » Mar 21st, 2011 @ 8:44pm

People need to stop agreeing with me. It's freaking me out.
KindGalaxy

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Mar 21st, 2011 @ 9:18pm

I agree with any stance that's "Let people be." If they're not forcing it on anyone than why does it matter?
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby kenzo » Mar 21st, 2011 @ 10:38pm

I wonder if we should have Raansu buy this app.
kenzo

Postby KindGalaxy » Mar 22nd, 2011 @ 8:16am

I said it once already, but will say it again; it's a free app.
KindGalaxy

Postby Konanda » Mar 22nd, 2011 @ 10:11am

So they just marketed it to be purposefully inflamatory? I mean from what jinpei said it's in the description that it is targeted at dealing with homosexuals.

That isn't as terrible but it still irks me.
Konanda

Postby Raine » Mar 22nd, 2011 @ 6:22pm

KindGalaxy wrote:People need to stop agreeing with me. It's freaking me out.

Well you should quit being reasonable and making sense.
Raine

Postby PillowPantless » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 4:15pm

When will the Android version come out?
PillowPantless

Postby Konanda » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 4:17pm

PillowPantless wrote:When will the Android version come out?

Master Higgins ban your old alt account or did you forget the password?
Konanda

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 4:18pm

KindGalaxy wrote:And at least go download it and try it instead of reading reports of opinions, it's a free app to go look at.

Hey, I was just reporting the story, and letting you guys form your own thoughts on it.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby PillowPantless » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 4:23pm

Konanda wrote:
PillowPantless wrote:When will the Android version come out?

Master Higgins ban your old alt account or did you forget the password?

I'm a Goddess.
Spoiler: show
New word for Female Pussy Troll
PillowPantless

Postby LiQuid » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 4:23pm

Will this app help us be rid of PillowPantsless?
LiQuid

Postby PillowPantless » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 4:34pm

LiQuid wrote:Will this app help us be rid of PillowPantsless?

Does God Hate Fags?
PillowPantless

Postby lemon-fresh » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 4:44pm

A couple more posts and he can create topics
:o
lemon-fresh

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 4:45pm

lemon-fresh wrote:A couple more posts and he can create topics

I can't wait...
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby PillowPantless » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 4:50pm

lemon-fresh wrote:A couple more posts and he can create topics

Who? God?
PillowPantless

Postby kenzo » Mar 25th, 2011 @ 4:35am

The only thing more stupid than this app, is people freaking out as if they never realized stupid people exist in this world who create stupid things.
kenzo

Postby KindGalaxy » Mar 25th, 2011 @ 4:40am

kenzo wrote:The only thing more stupid than this app, is people freaking out as if they never realized stupid people exist in this world who create stupid things.

http://www.geekbox.net
KindGalaxy

Postby PantslessJedi » Mar 25th, 2011 @ 5:17pm

Ah christ, don't drag me into this.
PantslessJedi

Postby Konanda » Mar 25th, 2011 @ 5:22pm

PantslessJedi wrote:

Ah christ, don't drag me into this.

Wait so that's your alt and not just indieinsd's alt of an alt.
Konanda

Postby PantslessJedi » Mar 25th, 2011 @ 5:26pm

He threw an S in there. I'd never be so crass as to misspell pantsless. Pillow is clearly a cheap knockoff.

Back on topic though, what the fuck was apple thinking? I'm glad it looks like it's gone.. or at least limited availability.
PantslessJedi

Postby KindGalaxy » Mar 26th, 2011 @ 5:59am

PantslessJedi wrote:Back on topic though, what the fuck was apple thinking? I'm glad it looks like it's gone.. or at least limited availability.

Why are you glad? What happens when a corporation removes something you find useful, entertaining, or informative? Will you be glad?

Granted it is Apple's platform and they have the right to limit content on it. Sometimes it's good to do so, sometime's it's bad to do so, it depends on those affected by the decision. This time, you're glad, next time you might not be.

If you disagree with something, it does not make it okay to stricken it from all public recognition. I don't accept the Bible but the book is in every hotel room. I just choose not to open that drawer where they put it.
KindGalaxy

Postby PantslessJedi » Mar 26th, 2011 @ 6:51am

KindGalaxy wrote:
PantslessJedi wrote:Back on topic though, what the fuck was apple thinking? I'm glad it looks like it's gone.. or at least limited availability.

Why are you glad? What happens when a corporation removes something you find useful, entertaining, or informative? Will you be glad?.

I vehemently disagree with any organization that targets homosexuality like it's a crime, or some curable disease. Perhaps I jumped the gun on my statements, based on the media frenzy and title of the topic here, and I'll accept some flak for that.

But they still had the tagline “Mobilizing the Body of Christ to Minister Grace and Truth to a World impacted by Homosexuality.” which is just inflammatory enough for me to dislike them. If you're going to preach tolerance from your magic book, be tolerant.
PantslessJedi

Postby KindGalaxy » Mar 26th, 2011 @ 7:06am

PantslessJedi wrote:
KindGalaxy wrote:

Why are you glad? What happens when a corporation removes something you find useful, entertaining, or informative? Will you be glad?.

I vehemently disagree with any organization that targets homosexuality like it's a crime, or some curable disease. Perhaps I jumped the gun on my statements, based on the media frenzy and title of the topic here, and I'll accept some flak for that.

But they still had the tagline “Mobilizing the Body of Christ to Minister Grace and Truth to a World impacted by Homosexuality.” which is just inflammatory enough for me to dislike them. If you're going to preach tolerance from your magic book, be tolerant.

What happens when the magic book itself, is not tolerant. Leviticus is clear on this.

You use the word tagline, this is their Doctrinal Statement:

We believe the Scriptures of the Old and New Testament are the inspired Word Of God, the final authority for doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction for right living. We believe in one God, existing eternally in three Persons:Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, fully man and fully God, only begotten Son of the Father. he was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, and lived a sinless life. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, buried and rose physically from the dead. He ascended to the right hand of the Father and will come again in power and glory.

We believe that faith alone in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord frees us from the mastery of sin, and its consequences of death and eternal damnation. He assumed the penalty of death Himself, and enables us to live out of His resurrected life unto eternity. We believe the Holy Spirit carries out this work of renewal in our lives, empowering us to grow in loving union with our Heavenly Father and to walk in obedience to His will. We believe that the Church of Jesus Christ is formed of all those who know Him as their Savior and Lord, regardless of denominational beliefs.

It's not promoting 'fags must die', it's not encouraging starvation camps to discourage homosexuality; which does happen in other organisations. It's not promoting gay bashings to get the 'queer' out of you, which also does happen in other organisations.

They are relatively reasonable people, their response to them having a Gay Cure? Their response to them being extremists?

Exodus does not claim to cure anyone. That is not within our ability and certainly beyond the ability of our iPhone application, which simply provided mobile access to information available on our website. As complex human beings, sexual attractions develop for many known and unknown reasons and no one chooses those, but as sexual beings, we all make decisions about how to express ourselves. For those who consider the Bible to be life-giving truth, homosexual attractions and the desire to act on them are at odds with the desire to live a life that reflects the Christian faith and often results in moral tension.

Exodus acknowledges that pursuing a relationship with God over these attractions won’t always make the feelings go away. They may stay the same, lessen or possibly shift towards the opposite sex. That’s not the point. The point is to pursue a life beyond attractions, feelings and societal labels that is guided and defined by Jesus Christ and the truth of Scripture. And for the record, living with conflicted desires is not the same as living a life dominated by them. Exodus doesn’t believe there is a “cure” for homosexuality, adultery, arrogance, gossip or any other sin. There is, however, Jesus who paid the price for it all when He died on the cross. Then there is the daily, sometimes moment-by-moment, decision to live a life congruent with His teaching.
Our desire was simply to provide information to individuals exploring and looking for answers that are consistent with their own beliefs. Apple already provides hundreds of apps specific to the GLBT community and has made the Gay Christian Network’s podcasts available on its iTunes store. Our hope was to see equality represented on the same platform.

The founders of Exodus International... were homosexuals. They actually divorced their wives and comitted themselves to eachother in a commitment ceremony. Michael Bussee and Gary Cooper. They remained together until Cooper died of Aids in 1991.
KindGalaxy

Postby PantslessJedi » Mar 26th, 2011 @ 7:30am

I read those statements before my last reply. Still doesn't change that the bi-line on their app in the store was yadda yadda "world impacted by homosexuality."

Their app page may grossly misrepresented them, but it's out there. Maybe they won't make that mistake again in the future.
PantslessJedi

Next
Forum Statistics