Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: Build/ Upgrade a PC

Postby LiQuid » Jan 21st, 2016 @ 8:48am

I've heard from someone I trust a lot more than medot that Windows 10 is basically iOS.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 21st, 2016 @ 9:29am

Nobody has yet to articulate a significant enough reason to actually upgrade from 7 to 10...
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 21st, 2016 @ 9:41am

Cell phones are popular. So for people that want their PC to be a cell phone it is perfect.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jan 21st, 2016 @ 10:22am

Why did we move from mumble to discord. Because.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Jan 21st, 2016 @ 4:51pm

There are several distinct advantages for me to go from mumble to Dischord. There is literally zero advantages 10 confers over 7.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 21st, 2016 @ 4:58pm

It's free, it's faster, it will support direct x 12 (which is suppose to make most games run better) and it will be supported long after they stop supporting Windows 7. Plus it's only free for a limited time, so the longer you wait to upgrade the more likely it is you'll forget and be out of luck when games no longer work on Windows 7.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jan 21st, 2016 @ 7:31pm

Games still work on Windows XP which was supported for over a decade, and with Direct X 9, which hasn't been the current version of DX in ages, right? What Kool Aid are you drinking that you figure Windows 10 is just going to spell the doom of all previous versions of Windows?

You basically installed Windows 10 because Microsoft told you to...

Personally I don't trust a company that doesn't even know how to count to 10.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jan 21st, 2016 @ 7:41pm

My PC has booted faster with every new version of Windows.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jan 21st, 2016 @ 8:06pm

PC's always boot faster when you install a new OS. And then over the years as you add processes and junk to them thru natural use the boot slows. When I first built my computer it booted like lightning and now it takes half a day. You could likely get the same result from just reformatting.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 21st, 2016 @ 8:12pm

I installed windows 10 because I had been reading up on it for months before it came out and the reviews and impressions pretty much all said its better than windows 7.

Of all people liquid, I'd have thought you would have upgraded since you seem desperate to get your frame rate up and pretty much all games run better in windows 10.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jan 21st, 2016 @ 9:15pm

Know what boots faster than Windows 10? Waking up my Windows 7 computer from sleep mode. It literally takes 2 seconds.

My 100fps games of dota2 will run at 110fps!! On my 60hz monitor! Worth it!

Literally nothing you said eX is a legit reason for me to upgrade. In fact, most of them boil down to "its free" which is not a good reason to ever do anything by itself. Hey ex? I have some AIDS tainted used needles. You want them? They're free!! Meanwhile know what's also free? Sticking with Windows 7.

Iirc, they just began stopping XP support, 15 years later. By the time they stop supporting Windows 7, there will be a nother iteration or two past 10 that you'll want me to install.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 21st, 2016 @ 10:43pm

What reason do you have not to upgrade?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jan 21st, 2016 @ 11:41pm

The only real response that's necessary to answer your question, and is the answer your silly question deserves is "If it isn't broken, don't fix it."

But on top of that: forced updates, all the bullshit MS put into the OS to spy on you, interface changes I don't like, the hiding of important system info for no reason, windows store integration/bullshit 'app' model, etc.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 22nd, 2016 @ 12:31am

I can't even imagine how much marketing bullshit is embedded into Windows 10. MS finally realized they own all our PCs. The future is kind of scary.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 22nd, 2016 @ 1:53am

LiQuid wrote:I can't even imagine how much marketing bullshit is embedded into Windows 10. MS finally realized they own all our PCs. The future is kind of scary.
Remember when MS lost a bunch of antitrust lawsuits because it included Internet Explorer and made it the default web browser with all its windows installs?

That was 15 years ago.

Since then, they've baked their fucking app store into the OS, and made it so you HAVE to go through them for several things.

It's somehow perfectly OK for companies like Apple to kill apps for no reason, simply because they were unwelcome competition or want to steal that idea themselves. And it was bad that MS made IE its default browser, but at least you could fucking change defaults in Windows. I can't even change default apps in iOS. If I want to click on an address to look at it in an app, I have to copy and paste that address, because just clicking on it always forces you to open it in Apple's terrible fucking maps app.

The future fucking sucks, and the FTC is either too impotent or sold out completely.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 22nd, 2016 @ 3:54am

Come on man iphones are ridiculously popular so proprietary, closed platform computing can't be so bad! Sounds like Kenzoproblems to me! Just give in! It's a FREE upgrade! Just don't forget to sign on the dotted line where they want control over your digital existence!
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 22nd, 2016 @ 7:51am

Literally the only reason I bought an iPhone is because all my friends have them, and they all use iMessage to send group text message chains. And iMessage is proprietary and doesn't play well with normal text protocols, meaning that I was basically getting left out of a bunch of friend conversations because Apple is a bunch of fucking assholes. That's to say nothing about the fact that until very recently iPhones were intentionally delaying text messages between iPhones and non-iPhones as a fucked up way to make non-iPhone users think something was borked with their phones. It's so god damned scuzzy, Apple is the literal worst I hate this phone.
kenzo

Postby Jenn04 » Jan 22nd, 2016 @ 11:38am

If you're that paranoid about big brother watching you, you might not want to log into this forum anymore -- it uses analytics and third parties track your every click. Might want to stay away from Discord too - it aggregates information about you. Hope you're using TOR to hide your online activities - every other browser isn't safe!

OH NO!

Windows 10 isn't bad, all that about the Windows App Store is a non-issue, unlike in 8 and 8.1 where it was more prominent. I like Windows 7 a lot, more than 8+, but 10 is waaayyy better than 7. But whatever. Keep that tinfoil hat on.
Jenn04

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 22nd, 2016 @ 9:33pm

I tried twice to upgrade to 10, and it failed both times.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jan 23rd, 2016 @ 6:13am

First time I tried, I think it failed on me right at the start. Next day it worked with no problems.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Mar 4th, 2016 @ 9:06am

LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Mar 4th, 2016 @ 12:08pm

:lol:

Whooo could have possibly seen this coming?????
kenzo

Postby Jenn04 » Mar 4th, 2016 @ 12:41pm

Shifty, Microsoft's no stranger to stuff like this. People forgot the XBone fiasco already?
This writer's also so retarded. Thanks for not using archive.is - we're giving him free money!

Android makes it possible to install third-party applications outside of the Google Play store, which is required for Google to comply with the Linux kernel’s GNU General Public License. However, Google makes it comically difficult for users to do so, by defaulting the option to off, burying it, and obfuscating it.

"Comically difficult"? Going into your device Settings (you're on Android, you'll do this all the time), enabling Developer Mode (which is pressing a SINGLE BUTTON), and allowing third-party apps (another SINGLE BUTTON) is comically difficult? lmao lol rofl
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Mar 4th, 2016 @ 12:46pm

Pretty funny how me and kenzo practically wrote that article, verbatim, in this thread a month ago while everybody called us tinfoil hat assholes.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Mar 4th, 2016 @ 12:52pm

I never mentioned their treatment of games / their proprietary whatever - just their store compared to 8 / 8.1. Microsoft has always been shifty in one way or another about games. That's undeniable.

If you're sitting smug in Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / XP / 95 / 2000 / NT / Android / iOS / BlackBerry, etc ad nauseam and think other services / software aren't tracking your activity or using analytics to learn all about you, I have very bad news.
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Mar 4th, 2016 @ 1:12pm

I don't really care about that kind of shit since I'm running Adblock and Disconnect on 99% of the sites I visit
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Mar 4th, 2016 @ 2:19pm

ROFL MS put ads in Solitaire and Minesweeper!!!!!
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Mar 4th, 2016 @ 2:24pm

Ya but why NOT upgrade to 10? It's FREE!

Jenn04 wrote:If you're sitting smug in Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / XP / 95 / 2000 / NT / Android / iOS / BlackBerry, etc ad nauseam and think other services / software aren't tracking your activity or using analytics to learn all about you, I have very bad news.
I actually run a cracked version of 7 with all that stripped out for a reason, sooooo....
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Apr 4th, 2016 @ 9:36pm

New mouse I got seems pretty awesome after a single night of use so far. At first it almost seemed TOO big for my mammoth hands, which would have been a first, but I think it's more that it's proportioned a lot differently than the Deathadder. Deathadder has a big bump up right where your pointer finger rests, then it gradually declines to your palm. On this Corsair the entire thing inclines pretty steep and feels really "tall" and then it has a real harsh drop off where your palm rests.

I hated the way the "sniper" button felt at first. It felt sticky and made my thumb feel moist and gross but it must have been some factory film on it cause after a game of Dota it seems to have built up a layer of LiQuid! grime and doesn't do that anymore. The DPI switch function that it had seems potentially awesome for FPSs, but I decided to just change it to my PTT in Doscord before trying it. My thumb naturally rests there so it's a perfect PTT button. Unfortunately the 2 proper side buttons above it feel so cheap on top of being out of the way to maneuver to. I don't think they will get much use. Deathadder definitely has maybe the two best thumb buttons I've ever seen on a mouse.

I'm a savage that doesn't own a mouse pad but right out of the gate this thing glides ten times better than my other two mice on my crappy wood desk. I think investing 10 bux in a pad is going to be a thing I do soon anyways. I hear it's a pretty massive difference maker.

Only problem I have with this thing so far is that the middle click (and the wheel to a lesser extent) is reeeally stiff. Takes a lot of effort to push down. That might be newness, or unfamiliarity. I remember when I first got my keyboard the space bar was super duper stiff to press down and either that went away or I just don't think about it anymore.

As long as the buttons on this thing stay functional I'm pleased with the purchase. I'm still getting a new scroll wheel to fix my Deathadder so I'll have two pretty good options and hopefully not have to spend the rest of my life living in fear of another malfunction.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Apr 17th, 2016 @ 3:25am

My PC is such a dumpster fire.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1001965

Can anybody tell me why all my shit is performing below expectations? Is my shit overheating? What's a program I can use to check my running temps?
LiQuid

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics