Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: Build/ Upgrade a PC

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 4th, 2015 @ 7:58pm

Got my new RAM, PC hasn't crashed again so I think I'm good.

I wasn't seriously thinking about buying 32gb of RAM. I don't even think my motherboard would support it if I did.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Jenn04 » Aug 5th, 2015 @ 11:41am

Well that's when you buy a new motherboard.
Jenn04

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 6th, 2015 @ 9:29pm

You have a good point.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby BeowolfSchaefer » Aug 18th, 2015 @ 1:53pm

Totoro was looking for a livingroom machine wasn't he?

This might be a good deal depending on his needs.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8040075-alienware-alpha-desktop-i3-4130t-gtx-860-4gb-ddr3-330-after-70-rebate-free-shipping?src=featured-2149
BeowolfSchaefer

Postby dakazu » Aug 18th, 2015 @ 3:13pm

Was having various issues with videos and random games. Thought I had something corrupt in my Windows 7 but it turned out to be the Precision X16 fan control software. Rolled back to an older version and everything is fixed.
dakazu

Postby BeowolfSchaefer » Aug 19th, 2015 @ 8:37am

Thise little apps that come with peripheral hardware are often real pieces of shit. It's a bummer. Also I thought you hopped on the Win10 train with us, no?
BeowolfSchaefer

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 19th, 2015 @ 8:39am

I remember when the Nvidia expereience first came out, it auto updated my drivers to one that caused my computer to have a lot of issues. I think Rodney had the same issues as me until we rolled our drivers back.

PC Gaming Everyone.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Rodney » Aug 19th, 2015 @ 1:50pm

Yeah, I actually hate the nVidia bloatware, I turned it all off anyway. I suppose you could just install the drivers manually. I think I switched to beta drivers or rolled back when that bad driver update happened but have since switched back to the regular releases because the betas are usually much worse. All said, nVidia drivers are still in my opinion 1000x better than anything I got with AMD/ATI, though in fairness that was a few years ago. I remember playing Star Trek Online as rendered by a Commodore 64 back when I had an ATI card, around when I bought a new nVidia card.

Me: "This game looks terrible..."
Kenzo: "Wha? It's BREATHTAAAAAKING! Look at your ship fly around the quadrant majesticallllllly!"
Me: "I can't tell which group of smudgy squares is my ship."

CARD UPGRADE

Me: "It's like I put on glasses and can see for the first tiiiiime!"
Rodney

Postby kenzo » Aug 19th, 2015 @ 3:19pm

It's so weird because I never experience any issues with my ATI graphics card ever, and yet y'all hate ATI for some reason because of reliability and yet seem to have all the same issues with nvidia anyways.
kenzo

Postby Rodney » Aug 19th, 2015 @ 3:31pm

kenzo wrote:It's so weird because I never experience any issues with my ATI graphics card ever, and yet y'all hate ATI for some reason because of reliability and yet seem to have all the same issues with nvidia anyways.
Rodney wrote:All said, nVidia drivers are still in my opinion 1000x better than anything I got with AMD/ATI, though in fairness that was a few years ago.

The nVidia issues happened just the one time for me. With my ATI card, basically every videogame launch was a fun minigame of "Will it Play?" and even if it did, there was an 80% chance everything would look like brown triangle frogs for me.
Rodney

Postby LiQuid » Aug 19th, 2015 @ 3:41pm

Nvidia Experience is actually the most piece of shit software I've ever seen. I've had it running for months and putting up with its annoying automatic updates and downloads, yet I just checked it and it's still using the Grand Theft Auto 5 driver update from April and checking for updates says it's current, even if the website has a newer driver released just last week. What kind of shit software can't even detect its own updates?
LiQuid

Postby Rodney » Aug 19th, 2015 @ 4:06pm

Weird, I got the driver update. Although your computer must be the equivalent of an insomniac crazy person by now because you never turn it off. I bet it's still running some kind of Everquest ghost processes.

Rodney

Postby kenzo » Aug 19th, 2015 @ 4:19pm

Rodney wrote:The nVidia issues happened just the one time for me. With my ATI card, basically every videogame launch was a fun minigame of "Will it Play?" and even if it did, there was an 80% chance everything would look like brown triangle frogs for me.
I've literally never had an issue with my card, whether it will play games, and never needed to update the drivers or anything. It's always just worked. And perfectly, with every game I've ever played. Max settings everything, great performance, nbd.
kenzo

Postby BeowolfSchaefer » Aug 20th, 2015 @ 7:42am

The nvidia experience only notifies you of the new drives, you still have to click install.
BeowolfSchaefer

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 20th, 2015 @ 7:46am

Did it always do it that way? Even still, it served me up a bad driver that I dealt with for quite a while. I should not have to roll back drivers to not have my computer crash and wig out all of the time.
Not saying my AMD card doesn't have a ton of crashes, but I can't pin my current crashes on it since I don't know what causes them.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Aug 20th, 2015 @ 8:03am

BeowolfSchaefer wrote:The nvidia experience only notifies you of the new drives, you still have to click install.

It did no such thing.
LiQuid

Postby BeowolfSchaefer » Aug 20th, 2015 @ 8:10am

LiQuid wrote:
BeowolfSchaefer wrote:The nvidia experience only notifies you of the new drives, you still have to click install.

It did no such thing.

Maybe you have a different nvidia experience version than me or perhaps there's a setting for that because that's how mine has always worked. It will download the new driver for me and notify me of it but I still have to go in and click express install in order for it to be applied.
BeowolfSchaefer

Postby LiQuid » Aug 20th, 2015 @ 8:13am

I manually checked for driver updates on that thing and it could not locate any updates more recent than that April GTA5 driver update.
LiQuid

Postby BeowolfSchaefer » Aug 21st, 2015 @ 9:31am

This might make keeping that Precision X16 software updated a little easier Dakazu

http://store.steampowered.com/app/268850/
BeowolfSchaefer

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 21st, 2015 @ 6:31pm

I just use old Precision software. The new stuff wouldn't launch on startup.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Aug 21st, 2015 @ 11:06pm

When does whatever the next Nvidia card come out? I need ex to upgrade to it and hand me down his current card.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 22nd, 2015 @ 8:08pm

My GTX 980 would probably set your computer on fire.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Sep 3rd, 2015 @ 3:04am

Welp it happened. Mouse is finally legit busted. Made it almost 2 years I guess. The scroll wheel just doesn't work anymore. I ripped the thing open to see what was going on and I can't quite figure out how the mechanism works but it's not "catching" on whatever gear makes it scroll. The buttons all work fine otherwise. The weirdest part is that when I unscrew the whole circuit board and kind of lift it out of its proper socketing, the scroll wheel mechanism "catches" again and scrolls fine, but when I push it back down into its seating it stops working again. I messed with it for 20 minutes and can't figure out any way to make it work so I'm just gonna call it.

I guess I'm in a market for a new mouse again. Do I go cheap and hope it doesn't turn out like the last piece of shit I got, or go expensive and hope it doesn't turn out like the current piece of shit I got? I actually can't wait until VR and touch interfaces catch on for gaming so the mouse just fucking dies. So sick of this fucking awful technology.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Sep 3rd, 2015 @ 3:34am

HA! Ok, never mind this dude just saved my ass:

There's a wad of masking tape inside my mouse right now. THANKS RAZER! It's hilarious to me that this was an issue on this older model of this mouse and it's still effecting me now on the new(er) model. I bet this an issue across their entire product line. Fucking how hard is it to make a mouse scrolling mechanism that doesn't wear out like this after a fucking year? This technology is NOT NEW!
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Sep 3rd, 2015 @ 3:50am

Jesus fucking christ, I was going to spend $50 on a new mouse when all I needed was a tiny screwdriver and a sliver of tape... How many fucking people have they gotten with this scam? I'm actually seriously thinking about contacting the Better Business Bureau now. They have this mechanism in there that's almost fucking tailored to wear out after a year or two of usage, a mechanism that's like actually retard simple to fix when you know what it is, and that improving a tiny piece of plastic would completely negate, yet they let this mechanism pass QA on every one of their mice. How many people have had this happen to them and just said fuck it, chucked their mouse and went out and got a new one? There's literally zero fucking reason a computer mouse shouldn't be able to last you decades. Hell, some of the oldest computer mice still fucking work perfectly, but these overpriced pieces of shit that we buy because they have the word "gaming" in the title are designed to fail after 2 year and make you buy a new one. I'm so mad right now actually.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Sep 3rd, 2015 @ 3:59am

It's called planned obsolescence, and chump gamers (and consumers in general) eat that shit up. You sell a whole lot more inventory if it breaks every few years. Why do you think iPhones and other smartphones don't let you get at the battery and replace it yourself? Because they want you buying a new one. Why does mr_ex buy new video cards every year? Not because he actually needs one. We've built the entire global economy on a production rate and economy of scale that only works if you are ridiculously wasteful and throw out perfectly good shit all the time. Welcome to capitalism my friend.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Sep 3rd, 2015 @ 4:20am

You're right man, it just fucking bums me out. My mouse actually works like better than before, so fuck you Razer, I'm winning this one. For now anyways. It seems like there are so many points of failure on computer mice it's only a matter of time before some other button goes apeshit.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Sep 3rd, 2015 @ 2:09pm

I took off the pads on the bottom of my mouse that cover the screw holes and make my mouse slide smooth over my desk and I wanna put them back on but the adhesive that was holding them on is trashed and I dunno what to use instead. I have some krazy glue, but that seems like too permanent a solution.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Dec 2nd, 2015 @ 1:35am

So much jank involved with getting a dual monitor set up with my regular ass monitor, my TV and my new sound bar, which I want to use with both my cable, and as PC speakers. It's so far fucking beyond me, trying to figure this shit out.

I'm fairly certain my TV doesn't have HDMI 1.4, which means it doesn't have the ability to take HDMI input from different devices and then output sound to the speakers.

So, I've got the speakers and TV connected to my PC only, without having my cable hooked up and even that's wonky as shit. The HDMI out from a PC to a TV as a 2nd monitor has always been so frustrating. Either Windows or my video card has assigned my actual monitor as "Display #2, Projector" and my TV as "Display #1, Monitor" and from searching there doesn't seem to be any way to reverse this.

On top of that, when I don't want to have my TV in use, I can't just turn the fucking thing off because as long as the HDMI is connected that other monitor is there, even if it's turned off, so my mouse cursor still gets lost off the side of my screen. I CAN disable the TV completely with windows key + P and then setting it to 2nd display only, but then I can't use the speakers because it treats the entire HDMI slot like it's disconnected. So sick of this nonsense.

Sound bar sounds amazing at least. I just wish connecting all this shit wasn't such a pain in my dick.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Dec 9th, 2015 @ 1:59pm

My mouse is doing a thing where the cursor keeps moving to the left, even when the mouse is turned upside down/not touching my desk.

I think it's time to get a new mouse. So fucking irritated. I can't afford to fuck around with fucking computer mice right now.
LiQuid

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics