Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: What manga are you reading?

Postby darfox8 » Nov 5th, 2014 @ 4:22pm

I agree with the ludicrous shift in the story but in general I think Naruto has been pretty good throughout.

All this stuff with the babies is completely natural to me. I only ask if it's necessary to even go there. I guess money trumps all but it's strangely indulgent to go so deep into where the chars end up.

I also love this blowing up yous guys faces. You guys where like "Naruto will never end u with "X" because it's not about that." welp. Now he's with "X". All the shippers vindicated. Even if they chose other pairings this makes all their time shipping "valid" because there's actually an answer, as appose to it being a question without an answer. I think this is secretly why you guys are so angry, it proved you wrong.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby LiQuid » Nov 5th, 2014 @ 4:35pm

I'm hardly an expert on Naruto, but I did watch the first few dozen episodes of the anime and Naruto pairing with Sakura would have been fucking gross. They're BFFs in like ninja kindergarten at the start of that shit. That'd be like fucking your sister. Seeing as kenzo has entertained the thought of fucking himself it isn't exactly surprising that this is the OTP he desired. All that said, I think obsessing one way or the other over who fictional comic book characters are dating is silly, with very few exceptions.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Nov 5th, 2014 @ 4:51pm

I honestly don't have a horse in this race. I could give two shits about who Naruto hooks up with. It's just baffling that a guy can write a story for 15 years where he telegraphs and foreshadows this one thing to happen, and then at the last moment he decides to just do the narratively dissonant thing and give a vocal minority of fans what they want instead. Like, this is almost as bad as the ending of Bunny Drop where the author throws away the entire body of work and in the last two chapters says, "You know what? That amazing story of family and love you just spent years reading? It was actually about raising your own incestuous waifu."
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Nov 5th, 2014 @ 5:06pm

I've read as much Naruto as you and I never considered Sakura the OTP. She was simply one likely pairing. I know I'm a Hinatard but the reason they hooked up wasn't because small gerbils like me wanted to see it. That's kind of just where the story ended up.

After the time skip Sakura started to see Naruto as more appealing(this partially started before the time skip but it really happened afterwards) and started to see Sasuke a little more as the toad that he is. Eventually Hinata pulls her seppuku courtship trick in the Pain arc, and then gets all touchy feely with him at the front door of the final boss battle. Hardly any Sakura shit going on in between this time. What's more than that she's still bawling her eyes out for Sasuke. This could of gone either way, and while fan reaction might of been a component to the decision, it wouldn't be a tiny minority overthrowing the OTP, as you present it. Just one pop ship over another. If he ended up with fucking TenTen then we could talk.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 2:46am

Just sayin'. Shit ending is shit.
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 9:03am

New Naruto Chapter is out! I wonder what's going to happen!

Spoiler: show
The thing with the statues doing the "pinky swear" thingy is so lolzy.
darfox8

Postby darfox8 » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 9:48am

Here's the second last chapter on mangastream: http://readms.com/r/naruto/699/2592/1

And here's the last chapter on an imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/Y9mdz
darfox8

Postby dakazu » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 9:51am

Hahahhahahhhahahhahahhahahhhgahahahhahhahahahhahahahahahhhahahahhahaahahahahahahhahahahhhahahahhhahahahahhahahahahhah

Salad :lol:

Also WTF with the straw hats' logo?
dakazu

Postby darfox8 » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 9:55am

Unless it's added by the translators it's a kinda funny meta troll from his son.

BoltXSalad4ever fvnishuvcbouywrbgvebrt
darfox8

Postby dakazu » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 10:53am

Also where the fuk was Hyuga Hanabi!

I need my Emma Watson equivalent.
dakazu

Postby CrossXhunteR » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 10:59am

You mean Hanabi Hyuuga?
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 1:00pm

I like how Naruto and Hinata have almost nothing to do with each other in this last two chapters. If it weren't for the whiskers on the girl's face, you could guess that Naruto knocked up someone completely random, and same with Hinata. Even Kishimoto isn't a fan of this pairing and it wreaks of editorial intervention. To quote someone else on the internet:
Editorial intervention?! In the ending to a shonen manga?! Well I never! Here I thought Masashi Kishimoto was crapping out years of mediocre battle stories for tweens out of the passion he held in his heart for self-expression and art.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 1:16pm

Also, RIP Jiraiya. Kishimoto might have forgotten you existed, but I haven't!
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 1:33pm

Naruto and Hinata were foretold in the dean shinobi scrolls. Second last chapter has them standing together at a funeral or something. Clearly they end up together.

The only thing I don't like is weird creepy Sakura and Sasuke pairing. At least they made a sexy baby.
darfox8

Postby dakazu » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 1:41pm

Darfox's favorite pairings

1- Naruto x Hinata

2- Lee x Ten Ten

3- Shikamaru x Temari

BTW I can't wait for the flood of dojinshi that'll depict every pairing in "graphic" detail :lol:

Side note- I wonder which manga will fill the popularity void left by Naruto? Apparently the Sumo manga is strangely super popular. Either that or Haikyuu! or maybe Shokugeki no Soma?
dakazu

Postby darfox8 » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 1:54pm

Nope.

1. Naruto x Hinata

2. Naruto X Sasuke

3.Kyuubi x Tsunade
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 2:01pm

Hahahaha, they're standing together at a funeral. I stood next to my brother at a funeral once. Does that mean we're married now? Naruto is ninja-jesus, and Hinata is family. They're going to be there around each other.

Sakura pairing isn't just creepy, it's down right disgusting. Let's take one of the more independent and kick-ass girls in the whole manga and then make her a battered/neglected housewife for literally no reason. It's the total worst.

I also love how every single Konoha-11 gets a shipping pair, including Kiba who gets an entire page dedicated to him hooking up with a cat-lady I forgot even existed... and based Rock Lee only gets one panel and doesn't even get a ship:

Way to shit all over your ending, Kishi.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 2:19pm

Do you guys even realize how not far off you are from people that buy love pillows?
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 2:36pm

I would probably buy a Rock Lee body pillow.
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 2:47pm

darfox8 wrote:3.Kyuubi x Tsunade

kenzo wrote:Sakura pairing isn't just creepy, it's down right disgusting. Let's take one of the more independent and kick-ass girls in the whole manga and then make her a battered/neglected housewife for literally no reason. It's the total worst.

I'd argue that there was never a point where Sakura ever really became independent/kickass. Even when she 1st tried during the Chunin exams Lee came to her rescue. She's always been the damsel in distress. After the time skip, it seemed like her character arc was finally going to show character development but that went out the window whenever dreamy Sasuke showed up. Terrible arc for a potentially cool character.
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 2:48pm

kenzo wrote:I would probably buy a Rock Lee body pillow.

dakazu

Postby kenzo » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 3:12pm

HAhahahahahahaha
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 3:49pm

I find the implication that character development and the development of relationships between characters after a significant time skip cannot occur. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean that various events didn't occur during that time period. Its like seeing an infant believe someone disappeared because they moved out of their vision, its a patently ridiculous notion.

Also its a Shonen action manga, why do you care about what the official couples are, it never really factors into the plot ever and the vague, fleeting and insignificant nods towards any romance are negligible in most manga of that genre. I mean if it was some shoujo manga or a romantic comedy or something I could see getting upset since that's kind of the whole central theme or plot of those types of books.

Although I will admit I haven't read or watched Naruto in a long time and most of the newer stuff I vaguely know about is from playing some of the fighting games and that's out of date as well. So I guess it could have turned into some romance manga in the years since I stopped following it.

dakazu wrote:BTW I can't wait for the flood of dojinshi that'll depict every pairing in "graphic" detail :lol:

Implying that such things don't already exist, although I guess they would have new character designs to use.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 4:25pm

Konanda wrote:I find the implication that character development and the development of relationships between characters after a significant time skip cannot occur. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean that various events didn't occur during that time period.
Holy shit Ko, this is a work of fiction, not history. Anything we don't see on page or on camera? It literally didn't happen. We have only what we're told. And if we're never told something happens, it's not like I can go look up newspapers or interview witnesses to begin filling in the gaps. This is how fiction works buddy. If you don't do a good enough job of explaining/showing something, or even alluding to something, you've failed as an author. It's one thing to ask a reader to read between the lines. It's literally impossible however to read between lines that don't exist in the first place.

Maybe in a different universe where Kishimoto is a competent author, there exists a version of Naruto where characters are better fleshed out and given more character establishment/development, and their relationships are more evolved beyond "Uguu, ur so cute Naruto" "Who are you again?" or "I love you Sasuke!" "I am literally trying to murder you right now." But that's not what we got.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 4:32pm

You must hate every time skip ever then. Time skips allow character development without the laborious need to show it all. Get to point E while skipping the often boring shit at B, C, and D.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 4:42pm

Time skip as a narrative tool is totally different than just "not showing something" or showing something different than is expected without justifying it from a narrative perspective.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Nov 6th, 2014 @ 7:04pm

I still think Dragon Quest: Dai's Great Adventure stands as the pinnacle of Shounen adventure manga. It may have followed a lot of common troupes but it executed them very well.
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Nov 13th, 2014 @ 5:04am

No more Naruto to read kinda makes me sad for some reason.

Almost as sad as Salad will inevitably be, considering her cursed genes.

kenzo

Postby dakazu » Nov 13th, 2014 @ 9:16am

Gintama ending confirmed. Enjoy your last 5 chapters kenzo
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Nov 13th, 2014 @ 2:42pm

dakazu wrote:Gintama ending confirmed. Enjoy your last 5 chapters kenzo
Proof or it didn't happen
kenzo

PreviousNext