Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: FINAL FANTASY FOOTBALL III: Crisis on Geekbox Forums

Postby LiQuid » Dec 24th, 2012 @ 12:28am

I'll give Totes credit for Total Victory since my team would have wet the bed again this week had I been in GAM's seed.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Dec 24th, 2012 @ 1:00am

It always adds a feeling of finality and closure I'm OK with when the person who wins the championship is the person who scores the most during the final week. It says to me, "Yeah, that guy probably deserved to win it all." Totes's team was largely on top all season, and he managed it well so congrats Big-T on the win. The guy who won it in my money-league though? I outscored him during the regular season, and I outscored him this last week. Him and his team can go eat a dick.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Dec 24th, 2012 @ 1:43am

You sound mad bro.
LiQuid

Postby totoro » Dec 24th, 2012 @ 6:47am

I knew last week was going to be tough against ATC, the second highest scoring team during the regular season.

I feel like I mostly lucked into drafting well - evidenced by having both Brees and AP. At that point it's just a matter of trying to not mess it up knowing that throughout a season that a team will most likely crap the bed once or twice and trying to minimize how much it affects the overall outcome.

It was a good year overall, I think (although it's easy for me to say), even though having some consistently inactive managers really hurt and complicated some things. New blood is always a good thing though as long as they're active and if not knowledgeable then willing to learn. Some improvements can probably be made prior to next year, but that can wait until it gets closer to the start of next season.

In the meantime...50 days until pitchers and catchers report.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro

Postby LiQuid » Dec 24th, 2012 @ 7:25am

Ooh, Geekbox Final Fantasy Basebol? I haven't done a baseball league in years.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Dec 24th, 2012 @ 7:43am

In the end it was kenzo and totoro's hyping up Hakeem Nicks at the start of the season that cost me 3rd place. I would have been better off dropping him like I had originally wanted to. Top 10 WR like him just don't grow on trees they said. If you drop him I'll take him they said. Don't be dumb they said. Danario Alexander and Pierre Garcon got more points in 8 games than Nicks got in 16.

Next year please set draft order so I can set my draft priority. I know you say it doesn't matter but if that's true then there's no reason not to do it.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Dec 24th, 2012 @ 7:58am

NFL.com has this fantasy playoff challenge thing. I made a group if anyone wants to join it http://playoffchallenge.fantasy.nfl.com/group/16602 password is podcast.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Dec 24th, 2012 @ 8:32am

You could have set your pre-draft ranking this year. It has always been enabled.
LiQuid

Postby totoro » Dec 24th, 2012 @ 12:28pm

Mr_eX wrote:In the end it was kenzo and totoro's hyping up Hakeem Nicks at the start of the season that cost me 3rd place. I would have been better off dropping him like I had originally wanted to. Top 10 WR like him just don't grow on trees they said. If you drop him I'll take him they said. Don't be dumb they said. Danario Alexander and Pierre Garcon got more points in 8 games than Nicks got in 16.

Next year please set draft order so I can set my draft priority. I know you say it doesn't matter but if that's true then there's no reason not to do it.

Like Liquid said, the ability to set your own personal draft priority was available this year and was previously as well. I think what Kenzo was stating that for the most part that the actual order in the draft doesn't matter quite as much.

As for Nicks, hey, I only said that I wouldn't drop him once. At the time all indications were that the Giants were going to play at least marginally well and compete for the NFC East division title, it didn't work out like that and for whatever reason Nicks wasn't able to get it going this year as he had in past years. It's difficult to say year to year what a player is going to do. Kenzo and I said that we'd pick him up, but ultimately the decision was left with you. In hindsight would have picking him up been a bad decision? Yeah, sure, but I wouldn't think that any of us would have seen the kind of year he had coming injury or no. Nothing is ever 100% certain and no one knows the outcomes before they happen -- that's why they play the game. Throughout this season I gave honest advice whenever asked and I'd like to think that more often than not that it was at least decent advice if not good advice.

If anyone's interested in a baseball league I'll definitely volunteer to commish it. The only question is do we go standard 5x5 or an expanded 7x7 format.
totoro

Postby LiQuid » Dec 24th, 2012 @ 12:32pm

I've only ever done 5x5, what are the added stats in 7x7? Pitching stats are already kind of fucked most of the time because of ERA and WHIP.
LiQuid

Postby totoro » Dec 24th, 2012 @ 12:37pm

Let me remember.

Batting has:
Average
RBIs
HRs
SBs
Ks
BBs
Runs

Pitching has (at least the way I've played it):
Ws
Ls
Saves
Holds (Middle relievers gotta represent)
Ks
ERA
WHIP

You're forced to come up with a good, well-rounded team, but requires constant attention.

I'll go ahead and create a thread for it when I get home tonight.
totoro

Postby kenzo » Dec 24th, 2012 @ 3:09pm

totoro wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:In the end it was kenzo and totoro's hyping up Hakeem Nicks at the start of the season that cost me 3rd place. I would have been better off dropping him like I had originally wanted to. Top 10 WR like him just don't grow on trees they said. If you drop him I'll take him they said. Don't be dumb they said. Danario Alexander and Pierre Garcon got more points in 8 games than Nicks got in 16.

Like Liquid said, the ability to set your own personal draft priority was available this year and was previously as well. I think what Kenzo was stating that for the most part that the actual order in the draft doesn't matter quite as much.

As for Nicks, hey, I only said that I wouldn't drop him once. At the time all indications were that the Giants were going to play at least marginally well and compete for the NFC East division title, it didn't work out like that and for whatever reason Nicks wasn't able to get it going this year as he had in past years. It's difficult to say year to year what a player is going to do. Kenzo and I said that we'd pick him up, but ultimately the decision was left with you. In hindsight would have picking him up been a bad decision? Yeah, sure, but I wouldn't think that any of us would have seen the kind of year he had coming injury or no. Nothing is ever 100% certain and no one knows the outcomes before they happen -- that's why they play the game. Throughout this season I gave honest advice whenever asked and I'd like to think that more often than not that it was at least decent advice if not good advice.
I would have definitely picked up Nicks at any point, because there was a good shot at him turning it around at some time. Like Totoro said, you can't blame me because I gave sound advice anyone with sports knowledge would have, and then get upset when the random happens. That's sports. Take Totoro's team for instance. Nobody could have forseen AP having the season he did (basically, his best season ever, after coming back way too early from a serious, career-threatening injury), or a guy like Jamaal Charles having the kind of sinker-season he's had even though he's been completely healthy and explosive. At any moment, Charles could have broken out (and he did this last week), and the same was true for Nicks. We told you to hold onto certifiable talent rather than chasing numbers that could be flukes or statistical outliers. Most of the time, that's good advice. Next year, I won't give you any advice and you can drop all the Hakeem Nicks you want and fuck your team over.
kenzo

Postby totoro » Dec 24th, 2012 @ 8:27pm

Christ, Jamaal Charles. I finally figured out what they were doing while I was listening to the Colts-Chiefs game (and I'm not sure they've been doing this all season), but they were swapping out Charles and Hillis play-for-play. Colts play-by-play announcer was losing it because he's getting up there and kept getting the call wrong because he'd call it for Charles when it was Hillis and vice versa.

That's the other thing, unless you're a fan of a specific team or player it can be difficult to get any sort of track on a team or player sometimes.
totoro

Postby kenzo » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 2:13pm

These playoffs are fucking crazy right now. Kaep-attack, the double-OT game in Denver for an epic Manning-face, and now this insane Seahawks/Falcons game. My blood pressure can't take it!
kenzo

Postby totoro » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 2:45pm

kenzo wrote:These playoffs are fucking crazy right now. Kaep-attack, the double-OT game in Denver for an epic Manning-face, and now this insane Seahawks/Falcons game. My blood pressure can't take it!

Definitely some of the best playoff football I can remember.
totoro

Postby LiQuid » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 3:00pm

Yep, games have all been pretty good, even if my team put up the worst showing this weekend. All through that game I couldn't wait to hear kenzo eat crow about Kaepernick. Dude's gonna be a monster in the fantasy draft next year.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 4:06pm

LiQuid wrote:Yep, games have all been pretty good, even if my team put up the worst showing this weekend. All through that game I couldn't wait to hear kenzo eat crow about Kaepernick. Dude's gonna be a monster in the fantasy draft next year.
I will happily eat crow. The entire year, I been saying stick with the proven commodity, that Alex Smith was good enough, that you go with the guy who got us within a play of the Superbowl and not a rookie who will probably crash and burn (like all rookie QBs in the playoffs this year). Guy had his worst play of the game right out the bat, and then it was insanity after that point. If he can win in the playoffs in convincing manner, and then out-gun a guy like Aaron Rodgers, I've got no further reservations or regrets.
kenzo

Postby totoro » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 4:29pm

Set the single game record for rushing yards by a QB - regular season or post-season. It's probably safe to say he'll be a top 10 fantasy QB next year*

*assuming he stays healthy and plays all 16 games
totoro

Postby totoro » Jan 20th, 2013 @ 4:27pm

Kenzo went from suicide watch to confident back to suicide watch to over the moon back to near despair to completely losing his shit.
totoro

Postby kenzo » Jan 20th, 2013 @ 4:32pm

kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 20th, 2013 @ 4:34pm

Makes me glad I don't hang out in mumble.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 20th, 2013 @ 4:51pm

LiQuid wrote:Makes me glad I don't hang out in mumble.

U MAD?
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Jan 20th, 2013 @ 5:31pm

kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 7:09am

LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 7:24am

Greatest. Gif. Ever.
kenzo