Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Your favorite toy/action figure, past or present

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 11th, 2009 @ 7:02pm

Ok, let's be honest: If you're willing to admit to playing video games, watching movies based on comics books, or listening to JPOP anime themes on your iTunes, you might as well go all the way and talk about what toys or action figures are sitting on your desktop at work or next to your 100 Bullets trade paperbacks on your bookshelves.

For me, it's the NECA Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles figures:

Along with my Takara Transformers Masterpiece Megatron and Convoy:

What about you guys? What were/are your favorite toys?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Re: Your favorite toy/action figure, past or present

Postby Sokkratez » Apr 11th, 2009 @ 8:53pm

This is probably my favorite of my collection of figures/statues:

Sokkratez

Postby LiQuid » Apr 11th, 2009 @ 10:34pm

I don't do the whole action figure collection like lots of nerds do (with the exception of a few Shaak Ti dolls I keep on my bookshelf) but the second I saw this topic I knew I was going to come in here and mention my old Ninja Turtle playsets. When I was younger I played with those things for hours. I think I had every figure, vehicle and playset in the entire line. Sadly my folks donated them to charity after I moved out of their house without telling me. I wouldn't have ever played with them again, but it felt really shitty to lose such a large chunk of my childhood like that.
LiQuid

Postby GiantAsianMan » Apr 11th, 2009 @ 11:26pm

I'm pretty sure these four are my favorites:

I have a fair number of maquettes (like all the Classic Star Wars Animated Maquettes from Gentle Giant), but these get the top spot because a)Batman: The Animated Series kicks ass and b)they were hard to find (got them in 2007; released in 2004, I think). Hard to find, that is, at non-ridiculous prices.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 11th, 2009 @ 11:45pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:
I have a fair number of maquettes (like all the Classic Star Wars Animated Maquettes from Gentle Giant), but these get the top spot because a)Batman: The Animated Series kicks ass and b)they were hard to find (got them in 2007; released in 2004, I think). Hard to find, that is, at non-ridiculous prices.

Whoa, dude. You have the Snow Bunny Padme Amidala animated maquette from Gentle Giant? That thing's ridiculous expensive on the secondary market. Nice catch!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby mtcantor » Apr 11th, 2009 @ 11:50pm

Super Naturals, the hologram based action figures from the 80's.

http://www.action-figures.ca/super_naturals.htm

Loved those things.

Also, the Ghostbusters toys. Those things were nuts.
Currently Playing: Heavy Rain, Dragon Age: Origins, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Saints Row 2
Recently finished: Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2,No More Heroes 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders
mtcantor

Postby GiantAsianMan » Apr 12th, 2009 @ 6:23am

jinpei05 wrote:Whoa, dude. You have the Snow Bunny Padme Amidala animated maquette from Gentle Giant? That thing's ridiculous expensive on the secondary market. Nice catch!

Sadly, no, I do not have that one. I have all the "Classic" Animated Maquettes (from the original trilogy, plus Darth Maul, for some reason), and not the "Clone Wars" Animated Maquettes. However, my brother has all of them, Classic and Clone Wars, including the Snow Bunny Padme. And he didn't have to sell any limbs or internal organs to get it! A very nice catch indeed.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 12th, 2009 @ 9:38am

The DC Universe Classics are ruling my life right now. I only have a few, but they're about the best figures out there.

And I love the Mighty Muggs. Grabbed a Grimlock a few weeks ago. Hopefully they make a dino version!

--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 12th, 2009 @ 3:04pm

soma wrote:I have a ton of 90's star wars toys as well. I was hoping they would be worth something so about half are still in boxes, the figures, not the ships and stuff. Looks like I was quite wrong.

Yeah, the 90's Star Wars Toys don't quite fetch the same price on the secondary market as the original toys from the 70's and 80's. By that time, everybody figured they would buy a whole bunch of comics and toys to pad their retirement funds. Sadly, that didn't happen.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby xQx » Apr 13th, 2009 @ 1:28pm

I loved my He Man action figures when I was a kid, but there will always be a special place in my heart for Stretch Armstrong.
Console Agnostic - Gaming blog/site
My Twitter
xQx

Postby Rydog » Apr 13th, 2009 @ 1:40pm

Old-school Voltron lions.

Soundwave from the original Transformers line.

The entire Super Powers lineup.

And just cuz I'm a big softie, Disney's Pooh classic plush is adorable!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby LiQuid » Apr 13th, 2009 @ 3:56pm

I didn't get any Voltron toys until like a year after it stopped being popular so I barely played with them. I remember wanting them so bad, but my family was pretty poor at the time. I would have dreams about getting them, then wake up super depressed about it being a dream. I'd always get up and search around the house anyways, hoping that somehow my parents would have gotten me one and hid it somewhere to surprise me with it. I never found any. :(
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 13th, 2009 @ 4:42pm

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Rydog » Apr 13th, 2009 @ 11:49pm

Oh, and I almost forgot, Playmates' Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles line. I was just in Target today and saw they reissued a bunch of the original figures in 1980s-inspired packaging, for the Turtles' 25th anniversary! Looks like there's Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo, Donatello, Splinter, April O'Neil, Casey Jones, Shredder, Foot Soldier, Bebop, Rocksteady, and Slash.

If my trivial memory banks serve -- and they always do -- all of those figures were from the original 1988 wave, except for Casey Jones (who was from wave 2) and Slash (who was from wave 3). Which begs the question: WHERE THE GOD DAMNED FREAKING HELL IS BAXTER STOCKMAN? OF ALL THE EARLY FIGURES TO NOT INCLUDE IN THIS SET, WHY HIM! I DON'T WANT SLASH -- I WANT BAXTER.
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby KindGalaxy » Apr 14th, 2009 @ 1:45am

I'll do both, my favourite past toy/action figure was a He-Man, when I was 3-5 years old. In the end he had lost an arm and a leg in brutal combat against my Transformers.

I actually travel to Hong Kong at least once, usually twice, a year with my wife to visit her family and to shop. So I have access to some of the most awesome toy/action figure shops in vast quantities (one street has no less than 3 dozen shops, and the surrounding streets have dozens more). My favourite of the bunch was also one of my first, a Gundam,

My most prized, the one I kind of like to show off when we have game night at my house is this guy, only cost me $30US in HK, he is solid comes with that cool laser sword from the games as an accessory and stands about 16 inches tall,

Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 15th, 2009 @ 2:06pm

xQx wrote:I loved my He Man action figures when I was a kid, but there will always be a special place in my heart for Stretch Armstrong.

Oh, man, Stretch Armstrong! His arms stretch out to next week!!!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Psygnosis » Apr 16th, 2009 @ 1:34am

Snake Eyes will never be remembered for this costume. But this was the one I had (with awesome grappling hook). My first ever GI-Joe. Other awesome faves were: Crimson Guard, and Road Pig.

Also, my new prize which I only dreamed existed, but I found in Akihabara. D.D. Ivanov SV-51!!!

Perfect transformation. My favourite Macross character ever, closely followed by Roy, Max and Guld.

PS: Wtf happened in Frontier? Is it just me, or is it completely shoujo?
Wishing anime was still as good as Cowboy Bebop and Standalone Complex. Brain now digesting: X-Files S4, Lost, Shangri-La (meh), FullMetalAlchemist Remake(meh), Wind Waker, Fire Emblem GCN
Psygnosis

Postby Moist Von Lipwig » Apr 16th, 2009 @ 1:56pm

jinpei05 wrote:
soma wrote:I have a ton of 90's star wars toys as well. I was hoping they would be worth something so about half are still in boxes, the figures, not the ships and stuff. Looks like I was quite wrong.

Yeah, the 90's Star Wars Toys don't quite fetch the same price on the secondary market as the original toys from the 70's and 80's. By that time, everybody figured they would buy a whole bunch of comics and toys to pad their retirement funds. Sadly, that didn't happen.

Did any of you get the Spirit of Obi Wan? One of the greatest marketing fuck-ups of all time.
Moist Von Lipwig

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 3:14pm

It's been awhile since I've posted to this thread, but now seems like a good time to dust it off, especially in light of this announcement:

For any of you who are Transformers collectors, you all know about the the Masterpiece Collection, which are incredibly high quality 13" figures that transform from robots to alt modes, with incredible cartoon accuracy in both forms. The last release, Grimlock, continued this tradition.

With 2010 being the title of the 1986 animated movie in Japan, speculation on the latest release indicated that this year's Masterpiece figure would be somehow related. And it looks like it's true, courtesy of seibertron.com:

Takara Masterpiece MP-04S Convoy Sleep Version has been released in Japan. Inside this masterpiece, a booklet has been included that carries a message from the Convoy/Optimus Prime.

In Japanese language, we read the sentences from left to right horizontally, just like English. However it has been noted there is a secret message that revealed who will be the next Masterpiece.
If you are familiar with Japanese language, please read the below images on the 2 highlighted columns vertically.
It means "The name of the new Masterpiece is Rodimus".

Now whether this means it's Rodimus Prime or Hot Rod is unclear, as Rodimus Convoy was Rodimus Prime in Japan and Hot Rodimus is Hot Rod's Japanese name, but at any rate I'm excited to add another great figure to my bookshelf.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby indieinsd » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 3:33pm

Mr_eX wrote:Image

My brother had that monstrosity.

Mine was this fucking thing...

It was awesome in its day but now it's a piece of shit compared to the new Falcon.
indieinsd

Postby kenzo » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 3:41pm

I had different toys for different phases of my childhood. The kindergarten-me was apparently obsessed with my he-man toy, or so I'm told by my parents. I don't really remember that, but I do remember finding a he-man toy among a pile of junk with it's legs savagely ripped off.

The early grade school me was all about my Ninja Turtles. Me and the little brother were all about this ish, and over the years we scrapped together most of the shit. Our prize possession was the Technodrome we got one Christmas, and subsequently broke soon after. The socket the eye fitted into was designed so very poorly.

The mid to late grade schooler-me moved onto Star Trek action figures. I had the entire bridge crew, a few villains and side characters (Mott the Barber!), a shuttle craft, and some life-sized phasers and tricorders. But the prize posession? The Enterprise-D bridge. Man that thing was sweet!

Those were my big obsessions. I had a few Star Wars figures and transformers, but those were to basically complement my baby bro's collection because that's what he was into. I grew out of toys though in middle school, when my chores allowance started getting funneled completely into videogames.
kenzo

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 10:08pm

I had this 12 inch Optimus toy. It was orange and awesome. I think it was from the Beast Wars series, you know, at the end when he turns into Prime. I had so many Beast Wars toys growing up, I loved that series.

I also have this Animal stuffed animal from the Muppet Show, it's awesome.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby IMLabman » Jul 2nd, 2010 @ 11:20pm

I got a Bug-Eye Ghostbusters toy one Christmas that I thought was the coolest thing I had ever seen. The eye was attached with a long piece of string and if you squeezed the ghost's body it would shoot out like a pop gun. I can't remember the ghost actually being in any of the movies though.

kenzo wrote:I had different toys for different phases of my childhood. The kindergarten-me was apparently obsessed with my he-man toy, or so I'm told by my parents. I don't really remember that, but I do remember finding a he-man toy among a pile of junk with it's legs savagely ripped off.

I had the same one! Did you have Battle Cat too?

IMLabman

Postby kenzo » Jul 3rd, 2010 @ 12:47am

IMLabman wrote:I had the same one! Did you have Battle Cat too?
It's a possibility. I was very young and could have completely destroyed it and not remembered. But Imma bet no because my parents were poor before I entered grade school. :lol:
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 3rd, 2010 @ 1:30pm

kenzo wrote:
It's a possibility. I was very young and could have completely destroyed it and not remembered. But Imma bet no because my parents were poor before I entered grade school. :lol:

The tip of my Battle Cat's tail broke off. It made me sad. :cry:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby IMLabman » Jul 3rd, 2010 @ 6:21pm

jinpei05 wrote:
kenzo wrote:

The tip of my Battle Cat's tail broke off. It made me sad. :cry:

I may have mine stashed away somewhere...I should have a look see. 8-)
IMLabman

Postby lemon-fresh » Jul 5th, 2010 @ 9:18am

Along with the typical StarWars/Transformers/Ghostbusters stuff I was really into these weird ass trash bag bunch figures (I have no idea why).

Also had a mighty max phase...

and first gen aliens and terminator action figures....

fuuuuuck I was a weird kid...
lemon-fresh

Postby achickenchaser » Jul 5th, 2010 @ 1:02pm

Gotta be my old Megatron and Soundwave Transformer toys.

Also the old He-Man Slim Pit. I drove my mother crazy messing with that slime stuff.

I don't have any of those things anymore. I was so careless with all that stuff once I "grew up" and was no longer interested in such things. I could kick my own ass thinking about all the stuff I simply threw away.
achickenchaser

Postby kenzo » Jul 5th, 2010 @ 11:34pm

What was the name of Soundwave's cassette tape that turned into a stegosaurus? That was easily my favorite transformer.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 6th, 2010 @ 3:56pm

kenzo wrote:What was the name of Soundwave's cassette tape that turned into a stegosaurus? That was easily my favorite transformer.

Slugfest. He was cool, but I liked his partner, Overkill, a little bit more...
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Next
Forum Statistics