Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 12:14am

Here's the rule: I watch a show, you watch a show. It's simple. Tell me a show to watch, and I'll watch it. But in exchange, you watch a show. Let's explore anime together and maybe find some fun outside of our comfort zones!

Theoretically, there's no limit to show length. It can be a 2 part OVA, a 15 minute film, or a 100 episode series. However, I reserve the right to veto a suggestion that's ridiculous. I'm not watching all of One Piece or Detective Conan. I strongly suggest the upper limit to the length be capped at 24 episodes. Preferably even shorter. My favorite shows tend to be 11-13 episodes long. Rest assured, I will almost always recommend reasonable length shows.

Pls no bully. I am open to watching a wide variety of anime. But I'm not watching Boku no Pico, or hentai, or any obvious troll-picks. Make the suggestions something you actually like, and something you think I'd end up enjoying too. I promise to custom tailor my suggestions to fit the tastes of individuals. If your recommendation is too punishing, I reserve the right to veto it, or give you an equally awful show to watch in return. Try to think up a few backup titles, because I may have seen your suggestion 1A and 1B. And lemmie know the kinds of shows you do enjoy so I can make an educated recommendation instead of taking wild stabs in the dark. Also, currently airing anime, as well as anything older, is fair game.

So who wants to take part in this devious social experiment? Some of you might already be watching shows I've been bugging you to watch (Darfox) and you can use this thread as motivation to burn through those recommendations, as well as forcing me to watch something you like as well.
kenzo

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby meDotJS » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 12:21am

Well when I said I watched and liked the Record of Lodoss War OVA in the other thread you wrote it off even though you said you'd never seen it, so I'll recommend that.

(On a sidenote, could you make my recommendation something that's on Hulu/Netflix/Youtube? I can watch shows on my lunch breaks using my phone but I can't download anything due to not having home internet at the moment.)
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby kenzo » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 1:05am

I hate you, medot!

Do you have a MAL page? Because that will make the process of recommending things a lot easier.
kenzo

Postby meDotJS » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 1:09am

I'm pretty sure I not only have a MAL, but I've also got you on my friend's list.

It's not a complete list though, trying to think up the total list of shows I've watched over the years wasn't easy, I missed, well, a lot of them. And I haven't updated it in a while (but I haven't watched that many shows recently either).
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
meDotJS

Postby LiQuid » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 1:21am

I did one of these hostage exchanges once years ago which lead to me watching a season of Sex and the City. I literally lost a friend over it.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 1:39am

Try and keep your MAL up to date buddy, it makes all of this a lot easier.

I wasn't dismissive of Lodoss War, just said that everything I've ever heard about it, that it was aggressively mediocre and generic. I could give you a tit-for-tat and suggest you some aggressively mediocre early 90s anime, but I won't.

You get:
Psycho-Pass
http://www.hulu.com/psycho-pass
22 Episodes

You hold GitS:SAC in high regard. Psycho-Pass is a very similar show in terms of style, themes, pacing, tone, genre, etc. In some ways it's inferior to SAC (some parts will almost feel like deja vu), but other parts IMO it's a superior show to SAC. It's a little bit longer than your recommendation, but I promise you won't regret watching this show and will get sucked in.

I'm making Dar watch this right now. Hopefully he finishes soon and we can chat about it. No big rush Medot, but if you end up liking this show, a new season of it will begin in the Fall.

LiQuid wrote:I did one of these hostage exchanges once years ago which lead to me watching a season of Sex and the City. I literally lost a friend over it.
Whoever recommended you watch that must have hated you. I'd recommend something a lot more enjoyable, or at least easier to sit through while you make fun of it.
kenzo

Postby dliu3d » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 6:26am

man, how is this going to work? I don't think anyone on this board can suggest an anime that you haven't already seen.
dliu3d

Postby LiQuid » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 8:17am

Azumanga Daioh.

EZ.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 8:41am

Only seen clips of the show, but I read quite a bit of the manga. Azumanga Daioh is great.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 10:59am

dliu3d wrote:man, how is this going to work? I don't think anyone on this board can suggest an anime that you haven't already seen.
I haven't seen a lot of shows. Just ask if I've seen or not. I can also give out my MAL on request too if that'll make things easier.

LiQuid is right; haven't seen that one yet, even though it's been sitting on my HDD for almost 10 years now. Is that a suggestion, LiQuid? You willing to exchange hostages here?
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 11:25am

Fuck no, like I give a fuuuuck.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 12:03pm

:lol: I love how Kenzo has stooped to bargaining to get people to watch Psycho Pass.

"Cmon man! I'll watch your show if you watch my show!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dakazu

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 12:20pm

Can I have you read a comic instead? I don't really have any anime to recommend, but I am not above watching anime.
CrossXhunteR

Postby darfox8 » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 12:44pm

Yeah, I'm going to need the anime list. There's only one or two things that I have seen that you haven't. I might make an anime list, never even thought to make one.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 1:24pm

dakazu wrote:I love how Kenzo has stooped to bargaining to get people to watch Psycho Pass.
Pretty Dakazu thing to do, to be so dismissive and trollish. I don't know why I expect anything different from you anymore.

I had about 5 different recommendations I was jostling between, but settled on Psycho-Pass because of constricted availability (limited to netflix/hulu), because it's topical, and because he holds GitS in such high esteem - being one of the few things medot's rated 10/10. I almost didn't recommend it because of appearances and I knew someone like you would come out and say stupid shit, but I said fuck it. It's a legitimately good show, and I know medot would end up liking it, especially since we actually have really similar tastes when it comes to our animus.

CrossXhunteR wrote:Can I have you read a comic instead? I don't really have any anime to recommend, but I am not above watching anime.
I'd rather not, but it depends on the comic. The whole point of this is to explore animus. If there's a show for whatever comic I'd rather watch that. But if the comic isn't too long I could give it a try depending on what you recommend.

darfox8 wrote:Yeah, I'm going to need the anime list. There's only one or two things that I have seen that you haven't. I might make an anime list, never even thought to make one.
I think you'd be surprised at what I have and havne't seen. I haven't remotely come close to seeing all there is to see - there's a lot of animu out there. And also, your recommendations don't have to be limited to things you've seen either. I know of lots of shows that I haven't seen and can make an educated guess as to whether or not people might like them based on their proclivities and whether or not a show is generally well regarded.
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 2:31pm

Fucking animelist, shit takes forever, too much options and detail. It's probably a tool of the devil to keep you wasting time for all eternity.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 2:36pm

Setting one up for the first time is a pretty daunting task, loading decades worth of anime-watching in. Keeping one maintained is pretty easy. Also, I don't fuck with all the stupid small details like, when did you start watching and when did you finish this show? I just check status (watching, plan to watch, etc), score (#/10 - if I finished a show that is), and completion if it's a show I haven't finished yet.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 4:25pm

Kenzo, I want you to read the webcomic Gunnerkrigg Court until current, about 1300 pages.
http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1
If we do this, don't give me a super long anime like Gin Tama. You know how pressed for time I usually am, and a long anime could potentially get in the way of Dota.
CrossXhunteR

Postby darfox8 » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 5:24pm

That eyebrow comic might be a comparable trade because Cross has been as desperate for someone to read and talk about it as kenzo has been to have more animu bros.

If I'm going to jumping in I guess I'll finish up Psycho Pass(or if you don't count that then give me something else) and offer up Claymore. As long as you know that Claymore doesn't end well you'll probably like it. Other disclaimers would be: Violence and gore, Violence against women that may have rapey subtext, occasional trips to bummersville(usually not without some sort of release or retribution).
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Jun 30th, 2014 @ 10:19pm

CrossXhunteR wrote:Kenzo, I want you to read the webcomic Gunnerkrigg Court until current, about 1300 pages.
http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1
If we do this, don't give me a super long anime like Gin Tama. You know how pressed for time I usually am, and a long anime could potentially get in the way of Dota.
I hate you, Cross! If you're gonna make me read years and years of comics, by all rights I should be able to recommend something epic like Gintama. But I'm a nice guy. So you get a little bit of a reprieve. And unlike poor medot, you get options.

You're required to watch:
Great Teacher Onizuka
43 Episodes

This is a god-tier show. Onizuka is a baller. Subs only for this show, BTW. English voices are gross.

Next, you can choose one of the two following:
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu
26 Episodes

Silly, ridiculous comedy show about a kid who lives in the jungle and is forced to live with a monster-girl.

Log Horizon
25 Episodes

Typical "Now we're trapped in an MMO!" but done right, and where the mechanics of it being a game matters rather than just being the excuse for a generic fantasy setting.

If you need help getting hooked up with sources for this stuff, gimmie a PM or whatever.

darfox8 wrote:If I'm going to jumping in I guess I'll finish up Psycho Pass(or if you don't count that then give me something else) and offer up Claymore. As long as you know that Claymore doesn't end well you'll probably like it. Other disclaimers would be: Violence and gore, Violence against women that may have rapey subtext, occasional trips to bummersville(usually not without some sort of release or retribution).
If I'm going to get Claymore at 26 episodes, you have to finish Psycho-Pass and finish Star Driver.
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Jul 1st, 2014 @ 12:09am

I'm getting the bum deal since all these shows are the same length(give or take 3 episodes) but I don't mind because I've already started both of these and I've been meaning watch them.
darfox8

Postby meDotJS » Jul 1st, 2014 @ 1:21am

I do hold GitS:SAC in very high regard, which is weird because I still have yet to watch the movie (except a random couple scenes I saw once while channel surfing years ago).

I'll watch Psycho-Pass. Thanks for sticking to Hulu/Netflix. Once I move it's free game but 'till then I'm stuck to those two services.
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
meDotJS

Postby dakazu » Jul 1st, 2014 @ 2:50am

I'd like to personally thank dar for suggesting that I log every manga I've ever read over at MAL.

List is still not done BTW
dakazu

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 1st, 2014 @ 5:24am

Picking GTO and one of those other shows is about 22 or 23 hours of material to watch. It will not take you anywhere near that long to read that comic. Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu looks bunk based on the art style I am seeing in the promo image.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 1st, 2014 @ 5:28am

Guu is good. If I recommend it you know it's good. I think kenzo is making picks solely to keep me posting in his shitthread.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jul 1st, 2014 @ 8:57am

CrossXhunteR wrote:Picking GTO and one of those other shows is about 22 or 23 hours of material to watch. It will not take you anywhere near that long to read that comic. Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu looks bunk based on the art style I am seeing in the promo image.
It's going to take me a long time to plod through your recommendation. It took me months to read John's GL, which you've given me about a similar length of comic. If I finish the comic way before you get done with these shows, gimmie another recommendation gratis (just don't go too slow on purpose).

If we're judging things by their cover like Guu, then your comic is bunk looking too. :P Guu is legit hysterical. But if you really don't wanna watch it, you've got options!

darfox8 wrote:I'm getting the bum deal since all these shows are the same length(give or take 3 episodes) but I don't mind because I've already started both of these and I've been meaning watch them.
I'm assigning both because you're about half-done with both these shows already, so the total length of stuff to watch is about the same as what you've given me. I think you can handle it doe, there's no more speed runs and you're Mr. No Job. :P
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 1st, 2014 @ 4:25pm

Watched the OP's for my two choices. I don't know what I found more weird/funny, the nonsense going on in Guu's or the music in Log Horizon's.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Jul 1st, 2014 @ 7:15pm

meDotJS wrote:I do hold GitS:SAC in very high regard, which is weird because I still have yet to watch the movie
The SAC-movie isn't all that great. It's pretty generic and boring TBH. It's a clear step down from SAC-2, which was a step down from SAC-1.

CrossXhunteR wrote:Watched the OP's for my two choices. I don't know what I found more weird/funny, the nonsense going on in Guu's or the music in Log Horizon's.
Guu is fantastic; that OP is generally what you can expect from the TV show in terms of insanity. Log Horizon has an OP that's so-bad-it's-good. But the tone of the show is a lot more serious (but never overly so). Unlike most 'trapped in an MMO!' shows, permadeath is not an issue here so it lets the show actually explore the world and its rules rather than just being scared of every challenge that always presents itself.
kenzo

Postby meDotJS » Jul 1st, 2014 @ 7:42pm

I wasn't talking about the SAC movie (which I have seen). I'm talking about GitS proper. As in the 1995 movie.
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
meDotJS

Postby kenzo » Jul 1st, 2014 @ 9:17pm

meDotJS wrote:I wasn't talking about the SAC movie (which I have seen). I'm talking about GitS proper. As in the 1995 movie.
Oh. Well, you'll probably love that movie, because everyone loves it. Except for me, I think it's overrated and too full of itself. Way too much monologuing for an action film, which is made even worse by the fact that all that monologuing forces an already way too abbreviated story from the comics into something even shorter and more trite.
kenzo

Next
Forum Statistics