Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Oct 4th, 2014 @ 9:26am

I also want to say as an addendum to watching Darfox's pick: just because at the end of the day I wasn't all that thrilled with your show, that doesn't mean I resent having to watch it or don't appreciate you taking part in this. Part of this whole thing is to get me to watch some shows outside of my comfort zone or things I may have unfairly overlooked in the past. And this was definitely outside of my comfort zone. I'm of the mind that even if you have bad experiences with something, there's no such thing as a wasted experience - because there's always something you can learn or take away from something. And I know Dar that you struggled to find a recommendation for me given that I've seen way more shit than you and there's a lot of overlap between the things we've seen. In the future, but if anyone is at a loss for making a solid recommendation because of a lack of experience in watching shows, I have an idea: What if you guys recommend a show that you haven't seen yet, but maybe want to see? And I can be like your guinea pig to see if it's worth looking into yourself.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Oct 4th, 2014 @ 9:30am

CrossXhunteR wrote:How many male characters were even in that show? I can only think of like 4 or 5.
There's a not insubstantial number, but the vast majority of them are window dressing, or villains. Part of that is because of the core concept of the show being that only ladies are these Claymores. But that's, in my opinion, another fault of the show. That they can't find room in this scenario for a more balanced cast, or that this is even the scenario to begin with, is all up to the writing department, and they failed in that respect. The entire rationale behind why only men are Claymores is complete bullshit, BTW.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby darfox8 » Oct 4th, 2014 @ 11:22am

I can see why someone might think this show is misogynist but I'd argue the scale and scope of the show doesn't really allow it have enough of a range of experience to see these gurls in other situations. There lives are just fucked up and there's no way around it. They are hated, they are hated by literally everyone from the humans, to the monsters, to the organization that creates them. The only solace they find is within themselves and the bonds they're able to scrounge up. Gurls vs the world. I like the constant oppression in the show but I don't think the show it self was trying to further an agenda against women.

I object to the use of Guro to describe this show though. The violence in the show is definitely immature and unneeded many of the times. But it's not there for sexual titillation. It's just there to be extreeeeeme or whatever. I do like all the gimmicks they built around the dismembering of limbs. Like regen types and stuff like that.

The ending is bad because they follow the manga to the very end and then they crap out with a generic shounen ending. Trigun anime did it's own thing but it was different from the very beginning and it diverted completely at the halfway point. So it got to tell it's own story and be better than the manga in some ways. The Claymore business is just dodging a cliff hanger ending that would be too sad if it didn't get continued. They shit on their own story to have a happy ending. The Claymore warriors getting wiped out at the North like the Alamo was way more harrowing and interesting than what we got at the end. I guess it may be possible that they were literally a few chapters behind when they needed to produce the ending to the anime so they were forced to improvise but I don't think that was the case.

You feel the whole Male Claymore things being bullshit because it paints men as more sexually ravenous than Women? I've heard that argument and I honestly never considered it. That criticism makes sense to me but when I first saw the show is was like "Derp, makes sense men more horny than women."

Glad you gave it try but sad you couldn't enjoy the show like I did. Maybe I should of picked Welcome to NHK. That show deals directly with the shit you accuse this show of doing subversively.

Guess what? My Katangatari finally downloaded. Probably watch that next.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8
User avatar
 
Posts: 2899
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 3:23pm
Location: Ocala, Florida

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby dakazu » Oct 4th, 2014 @ 12:00pm

Saw the 1st 12 episodes of Moonlight Mile myself. Animation is not the best but I'm more annoyed with the pacing of the ocean arc. Too many episodes dedicated to that storyline. I hope the latter 12 episodes do a better job pacing the crazy shit happening in space. Those parts are highly reminiscent of PLANETES.
dakazu
User avatar
 
Posts: 3094
Joined: Nov 14th, 2009 @ 1:00pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Oct 4th, 2014 @ 3:14pm

darfox8 wrote:I can see why someone might think this show is misogynist but I'd argue the scale and scope of the show doesn't really allow it have enough of a range of experience to see these gurls in other situations.
The show literally hates its own women, and revels in making mincemeat out of them. If there was some equal opportunity gore going on, I might be able to begin dismissing some of it. I call it guro because it while most of the violence isn't sexual in nature, the show is definitely obsessed with it in a manner that's almost fetishistic. And it happens so much too. Like, by the end, I was starting to get numb to it based on just how much it was happening, and I didn't like that.

I thought exploring the social aspects of the Claymores was always way more interesting - seeing their history, how they interact with people, the range of their experiences beyond just finding a monster and killing it. But the show wasn't about that and focused on dumb fights, which I never found as interesting. That's something that is probably NBD to other people b/c of different tastes, but for me I was disappointed.

darfox8 wrote:I guess it may be possible that they were literally a few chapters behind when they needed to produce the ending to the anime so they were forced to improvise but I don't think that was the case.
Claymore began in May of 2001. The show came out in April through September of 2007. Someone do the math. I'd be willing to bet they paced things to cover as much manga as possible.

darfox8 wrote:You feel the whole Male Claymore things being bullshit because it paints men as more sexually ravenous than Women? I've heard that argument and I honestly never considered it. That criticism makes sense to me but when I first saw the show is was like "Derp, makes sense men more horny than women."
It's total bullshit because there's two factors from what they've described that leads to this:

1) Releasing your yoma energy and transforming feels like sexual pleasure (stupid idea in an of itself).
2) It takes strong willpower to resist that transformation.

And you're telling me that there's no man out there that can resist sexual gratification? That ALL men are that way? And that they don't have the willpower and presence of mind to push against that? Like, that's just idiocy.


darfox8 wrote:Glad you gave it try but sad you couldn't enjoy the show like I did. Maybe I should of picked Welcome to NHK. That show deals directly with the shit you accuse this show of doing subversively.

Guess what? My Katangatari finally downloaded. Probably watch that next.
I kinda want to watch that show, simply to see what the fuss is about. But lots of people like it because it hits home for them or some shit and that's their first exposure to the ideas of hikikkomori, and I don't need to watch that show to know what that's all about. If you want to make another trade off lemmie know, but I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to partake in this again.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Oct 5th, 2014 @ 3:29am

Six episodes into Moonlight Mile and I'm really digging this show. It certainly has some issues though. It's ugly as all hell. And as a show it's really showing its age. They're still flying around in Shuttles and things like "The Second Gulf War" are just beginning. Its pace also is relatively high. It feels like something happens every episode that is life or death and there's no time to simply relax a little. It makes me miss Space Brothers in that respect. Goro as a character is beginning to grow on me, even if the romantic in me hates his playboy tendencies. Maybe he'll learn to settle down a little later.

Lostman is still an asshole but he has his nice side too I guess (godchild and stuff). I also hate the OP, but the ED is pretty good even if it feels a little our of place. Pillows are the best. I'm worried that this show is going down really dark paths in the future, but for now there's enough positive things thing on that I'm happy.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Oct 6th, 2014 @ 4:26am

Moonlight Mile breaks my heart. It's such an ambitious project, but it clearly operated on a shoestring budget. It deserved better, but people would have rather watched fucking Lucky Star back in 2007.

Edit: also, am I wrong in guessing that the American military is being set up as the show's antagonists?
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Oct 6th, 2014 @ 7:08am

Goro finally gave the D to Riyoko.

Image
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Oct 7th, 2014 @ 4:09am

I'm not ok with this Goro x Maggie pairing.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Oct 7th, 2014 @ 5:15am

Moonlight Mile completion - GET.

I will have things to say about this later, and questions as well. But for now I'm going to decompress and try to sleep this migraine off. But overall good show Dakazu, thank you. And I think that ends my obligations for now.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Oct 8th, 2014 @ 1:18am

I really enjoyed Moonlight Mile. Hard sci-fi is always a treat. Moonlight Mile felt like a much needed break from the monotony that is most anime. No stupid teenagers, no love/friendship conquering all, no immature guro or pandering, no god forsaken otaku-culture, no shitty tropes for women. Just an adult story, about adults, being professionals, doing their jobs. Is there sex and boobies? Yep. But it never once felt pandering and was there because these are adults engaging in adult relationships, and handling those situations like adults instead of people with the emotional maturity and experience of sixth graders. It's nice to see hard sci-fi that feels somewhat well researched instead of the typical anime MO of having outer space more resemble Star Wars rather than Star Trek. The focus on near-future, local, very plausible space travel gave me Planetes/Space Bros vibes, and that's a good thing. Earlier I likened this show to being a Rated R version of Space Brothers, but the more I reflect, I feel like Space Brothers was a rated PG version of this show. The fact that the show is only 26 episodes meant that everything went by briskly and I was never bored or disengaged. Plot arcs would get settled in one to two, maybe three episodes. Where as, Space Brothers would probably take eight to ten to cover the same amount of plot progression.

All of that praise aside, this isn't remotely a perfect show. There's tons of issues I had with it.

I thought the focus on international geopolitics - while laudable - made the show feel dated in an overly distracting manner. You can really tell the show/source material is a decade plus older at this point based on the show's worldview. American Imperial aggression is pretty harshly depicted, which is understandable, but America's military and economic capacity is severely over estimated by this show, indicative of a pre Iraq-quagmire, pre-financial crisis worldview. Then there's things like American racism being way overblown, or things like Russia respecting the free speech and civil liberties of protestors (LOL) that just don't really jive with today's modern reality. And of course, the reliance on Space Shuttles and huge NASA budgets are indicative of the source material being pre-financial crisis and pre-Columbia.

Then there's the shows dual protagonists. It's a great formula that Space Brothers adopts so that we can have a change of pace every now and then, as well as have multiple simultaneous perspectives at different places and times in the career of an astronaut. Moonlight Mile doesn't nearly do the job as well. The more grounded and realistic scenarios of Goro working as an outer space engineering technician on international ventures was fantastic. Goro is also a very likable character who might seem like a jerk at first but has a heart of gold. The other protagonist, Woodbridge, is the worst. He's an asshole. He's a military man, and his story mostly follows the military path to outer space. This was fine in the beginning when he's a pilot and gets enlisted by NASA. But then he starts working for the US Military again, and heading up a squadron of 'Star Fighters' in orbit on a top secret space station in geosynchronus orbit called the 'Enterprise' that's huge (depicted several magnitudes larger than the ISS) and would never go unnoticed by the public. Eventually, he leads a platoon of fucking robots to a gigantic moonbase that was somehow mined and constructed in secret. His story is the worst. The show would have been better off if they just edited out every part of him.

The ending of the show was disappointing. It wasn't the worst ending point to be perfectly honest. But the show begins with a flash forward to a bizarre event where robots are attacking an astronaut on the moon. The show ends just getting back to that point in the story, and then going no further leaving way too many unsatisfying answers. But that hooks back into Woodbridge's shitty story. The conclusion reached in Goro's individual storylines was mostly excellent.

I've said before, but I think I need to address it quickly in this wrap up. Holy shit is this show ugly. It's painfully obvious that the animators were both rushed, unfamiliar with, and incapable of drawing humans in the more realistic style that the manga is based on. There are at least 5 different moments every episode where a character contracts 'derpy eyes' - where the face gets contorted in such a weird way that it makes them look derpy - usually the eyes end up pointing in different directions and such. And it does the really typical and kinda racist Japanese thing where every foreigner gets drawn with the BIGGEST, most ridiculous noses. Less educated people about anime always ask why Japanese people always draw anime characters like they're European. And the answer is that they don't. That's how they see themselves and they draw their characters to look Japanese in their minds. When they draw European characters, they give them fuckin' clown-noses. Or black people get the anime equivalent of black-face. Moonlight Mile has some ugly Japanese characters and some Japanese characters with big noses (including the MC Goro). But god damn does the animators not have the faintest clue of how to draw a variety of faces and make them look like people rather than caricatures. And that color palate - man, apparently every black person is as dark as shoe polish. The backgrounds are all awful, crude CGI. There are so many moments where the frames dip so low that not even motion is implied and characters just kinda teleport between places/positions. The CGI for all the robotics/cars/space ships are pretty typical 2000s gross schlock. If I had to grade the visuals of the show, it would probably get a D. But this isn't quite a show you watch for the visuals though. It's just a shame because it's clearly super ambitious, it was just never remotely given the budget or the animation talent it deserved to do the project justice.

I don't know what to say about the music except that it was horrendous. The show's main theme is like this really boring militaristic tune that's totally inappropriate for the tone of the show - that gets serious but is never so militaristic about it. Like, I thought Claymore's music was bad, but at least that music was somewhat fitting whatever given scene. This is just bad, usually inappropriate, and almost amateurish. Clearly an issue with budget.

I'm glad Dakazu had me watch this show. I had no idea it even existed and probably would have never watched it otherwise. It's a real diamond in the rough. And being a show from 2007, kinda lends credence to my theories about the anime industry during that time. Now that I'm done with all my recommendations, I'm open for more, but I might take a little break to see how impacted the upcomming season will be or if I should just wait until the end of the season to ask for more recommendations. I really do feel bad about not getting around to this and Claymore sooner. If I had to grade this show, it would probably be like a solid B, flirting with a B+. Total A for effort, but tons of rough edges that ended up being a little too distracting. Claymore was more D+, maybe C- if I'm being charitable. Totally not a 'Good' but a 'Fair' evaluation, but not remotely 'Fail' either.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby meDotJS » Jan 10th, 2015 @ 10:15am

This season is pretty light on anime so I think it's time to resurrect this.

Kenzo, you should watch King Gainer, I think you'd really like it.

Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS
User avatar
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sep 19th, 2012 @ 5:26pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Jan 11th, 2015 @ 2:11am

1) Not counting backlog shows I'm going through (currently watching Baccano!), I've actually got 17-18 shows I'm watching this season.

2) It's not like you're want for new shows to watch. I see like, a dozen really good shows on your 'on hold' list on MAL.

3) You should have posted this a few weeks ago when I was sick, laid up, and doing literally nothing but watching anime marathons in bed.

But we can still trade! Just don't expect me to like, watch this show in a timely manner. I look forward to it though, it's probably a pretty good pick for me.

For you, you get to choose either:

1) Darker than Black S1 (24 episodes)

2) Xam'd (26 episodes)

Both of these are stellar shows. I've watched both recently so I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on them. I think Darker than Black is the more straight forward show and typically entertaining show, but Xam'd is a bit more heady. Both have great action and S-rank production budget/writing/direction/art. Both have their more light hearted moments but they're both mostly serious shows. Some notes on the two shows:

Darker than Black is listed as 25 episodes; stop at episode 24. Episode 25 is a fluffy OVA that was a promotional tie-in. It doesn't fit the show narratively at episode 25 after the finale and just messes with the flow of the show/feels out of place after the show's finale. Also if you end up liking the show, don't make the mistake of tracking down the sequels. They aren't bad per say, but they're awful sequels and they fail to adequately justify their own existence. Darker than Black is a show like Cowboy Bebop where it's a stand-alone story, with an ending that wraps up just about everything and was never meant to have a sequel.

Watch both of these shows subbed.

Darker than Black should be on hulu. Xam'd is on Crunchyroll, hulu, and amazon streaming I believe. They're both beautiful shows so don't skimp on the quality, try to find an HD source to watch.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby meDotJS » Jan 11th, 2015 @ 8:45am

I'll watch Darker than Black. The source I have has 26 episodes though, is episode 26 also an OVA episode?

Also I'm probably just gonna watch Xam'd too because I looked it up and it looks neat but Darker than Black is something that has been on my backlog for way too long and I need to get it off there.

Also you made me realize I have to clean up my "On-Hold" list. Half those shows are just shows I sorta dropped but felt like I might pick up again at some point. I've dropped most of them.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS
User avatar
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sep 19th, 2012 @ 5:26pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Jan 14th, 2015 @ 3:22am

meDotJS wrote:I'll watch Darker than Black. The source I have has 26 episodes though, is episode 26 also an OVA episode?
Errrr, correct. Got things mixed up.

meDotJS wrote:Also I'm probably just gonna watch Xam'd too because I looked it up and it looks neat but Darker than Black is something that has been on my backlog for way too long and I need to get it off there.
Darker than Black is the more mainstream show w/ more hype. Xam'd probably would have been a lot better received if it wasn't stealth-launched on PSN. Both shows are really flippin' good and do so many creative things when it comes to telling stories in anime. I adore Darker than Black's pacing as a show, and its bleak outlook is really different from... well, most stuff. I'm much more curious to see what you think of Xam'd though. It plays with symbolism a lot more, is a lot more obtuse, and it'll be interesting to gauge what your impressions/expectations are for the show versus how you'll feel coming out the back end of it.

meDotJS wrote:
It's been bugging me for a while, and I finally figured it out. Dude who does the OP for this show is the guy who does the songs for Macross 7! Fire Bomber is too mother fucking good.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Jan 15th, 2015 @ 2:31am

I love how the opening of King Gainer has a Star Wars text scroll, except that the characters dance in front of it so you can't read it - as if to say "none of this wordy shit matters, let's just have fun instead!"
Image
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Jan 19th, 2015 @ 10:41am

K. Finished this show. It was really good, thanks Medot! The first episode was a little discombobulating and probably could have had the events explained a little better/taken more time to introduce the characters. Maybe stretch episode 1 out over three episodes. But besides that, King Gainer had really good pacing and a great plot. In a perfect world though, they add another 12 episodes or so, so a few of the rushed plot lines could get smoothed out a little better, and so that we could have a few episodes here and there where no fighting happens and we can just hangout with the characters doing daily life stuff. King Gainer definitely had the pacing of a kids show where there was a mandated fight during each episode so that the kiddies don't lose interest.

However, I couldn't help but draw parallels between this and G-Reco, because as you said Medot, they share a lot in common. This show feels like the show G-Reco wants to be, but kind of can't be because it's saddled with the franchise expectations of being a Gundam show.

I really liked the cast in this show too. I grew attached to pretty much the entire cast. It felt like everyone had a purpose and pulled their weight, which is rare for a show with such a large cast. The ending where everyone worked together to help lift up the MC was really well done, even if it's kinda shitty that all the character growth of the MC up to that point was instantly negated by yonder ancient mech.

Loved the setting too. It's just... neat. Having an exodus of people traveling across the frozen wastes of Siberia trying to find a new home made for an animu setting that was refreshing compared to most shows that are happy with conventional settings. Having the wagon train of titanic buildings being dragged along always made for a striking background. And the diehard liberal in me had a laugh at the social commentary of the show - namely that modern capitalists and market economies is basically the new serfdom. I also like the historically accurate juxtaposition that railways and the corporations that run them are oppressive and do more to hold people down in place than actually giving them the opportunities to travel and leave where they are.

I also kind of like that this show was old man Tomino softening up and making a much more wholesome and uplifting show for kids versus his old M.O. which was to emotionally scar youth. Even though there were a few really dark and heavy scenes that came out of nowhere. I also like that, unlike a lot of Tomino shows, his portrayal of women here are mostly positive and progressive. It's also kinda funny that an old man like Tomino would basically justify the bad habits of today's kids with this show by saying that there could be merit to playing video games and shit. That's not the usual M.O. of grumpy old dudes.

I'm also mostly OK with the ending, even if we could have used a lot more epilogue. When shows have a good ending and are at least 24-26 episodes in length, I want at least half an episode dedicated to an epilogue. If I've stuck with you for this long, I want some god damned payoff. Show Gainer and Sara trying to figure out rice cultivation and being lovey dovey. Show Gain heading off on another quest or vising a certain grave. Have Princess Ana welcoming her father to Yapan. Gimmie Adette and Gauli settling down and running a school together or something.

Show is also beautiful. There's a few wonky CGI bits, but they're mostly relegated for a part of a background, or a sprite scaling gone wrong because this show was never meant to be seen in HD. But for the most part, it's all hand drawn and gorgeous, just like G-Reco (except this looks like it has even better budget than G-Reco on average).

Final verdict: Really liked this one. It was an effortless watch. I wish it wasn't over. Thanks again, Medot. Time for you to catch up. Objectively the show is probably like an 8 or so out of 10, but with the fun I had, and how I don't really care about (or actually enjoy) a lot of the quirks associated with Tomino shows that normal people hate, this is a 9/10 for me easy.

Edit: Also, the dub is fucking garbage.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby meDotJS » Jan 23rd, 2015 @ 5:55pm

About a third of the way through DtB and so far so good. So far it seems like villian of the week (well, bi-weekly villians, but you get the idea) with each story being used for world building. They seem to be building towards an overarching plot though, and I kinda hope they start getting there. I mean I'm fine with villian of the week shows but DtB doesn't really have the tone for that. But still, I like the world they're building and I'm interested to see where they're going with it.

Also:
Kenzo wrote:When shows have a good ending and are at least 24-26 episodes in length, I want at least half an episode dedicated to an epilogue.

I just want to point out that you're the one that got angry at me for wanting a 60 second epilogue at the end of Star Driver.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS
User avatar
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sep 19th, 2012 @ 5:26pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby dakazu » Jan 24th, 2015 @ 12:31am

Star Driver is poop from the butt
dakazu
User avatar
 
Posts: 3094
Joined: Nov 14th, 2009 @ 1:00pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Jan 24th, 2015 @ 3:20am

meDotJS wrote:I just want to point out that you're the one that got angry at me for wanting a 60 second epilogue at the end of Star Driver.
Yeah, that's true. Star Driver at least choreographed a lot earlier its intentions that "hey! we're not interested in telling you what comes after!" Going so far as to directly tell the audience that multiple times. Even if Star Driver didn't show us what was going to come next, it left a lot of hints telling us what was going to happen anyways (maybe we'd see some generation xeroxing, maybe we'd see Adult Bank take mechas public now that Zero Time is gone, maybe we'd see the gang move off island so that the girls could go be singing idols in the big city). Where as King Gainer, we flippin' hear about Yapan all show and then never even get to see it. I suppose I should know better when it comes to Tomino shows though, because they've never really been about that life either. Except for Turn-A Gundam. Which is, you know, amazing.

Darker Than Black has some of the finest pacing I've ever seen in a show. There will come a time medot, where you wish you could go back to a time where there wasn't much of an overarching plot and you could just hang out with Hei and the gang again.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby meDotJS » Jan 24th, 2015 @ 8:41am

So far 14 episodes in I'd say DtB is the perfect example of an anime that could've benefited from having hour block episodes. Everything has been a two-parter so far.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS
User avatar
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sep 19th, 2012 @ 5:26pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby meDotJS » Jan 25th, 2015 @ 11:15pm

kenzo wrote:There will come a time medot, where you wish you could go back to a time where there wasn't much of an overarching plot and you could just hang out with Hei and the gang again.

How right you are. Damn that all went down pretty quickly.

Spoiler: show
RIP Mao, at least I assume RIP, I don't fully understand what happened there. I assume they cut off his access to the external servers, which means he reverts back to animal instincts and loses his humanity. Either way he showed up with all the other dead people at the end so I assume that means he's effectively dead.

Spoiler: show
Started off not liking any of the characters as people at the start, but the show won me over to them. I ended up liking all of them, even Huang, who I was shocked I ended up liking and even feeling back when he died.


Good watch. Though you and I have different opinions of what "bleak outlook" means Kenzo. That wasn't really bleak. I mean it wasn't all sunshine and roses but it ended on a decent note and was even pretty lighthearted at points, even introducing a comedy-relief duo that really served no purpose but to lighten the mood.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS
User avatar
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sep 19th, 2012 @ 5:26pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Jan 26th, 2015 @ 11:40am

meDotJS wrote:
Spoiler: show
RIP Mao, at least I assume RIP, I don't fully understand what happened there. I assume they cut off his access to the external servers, which means he reverts back to animal instincts and loses his humanity. Either way he showed up with all the other dead people at the end so I assume that means he's effectively dead.
If you plan to heed my warnings about foregoing season 2 and the OVA, then read this spoiler where they clarify that situation:
Spoiler: show
You're right on the money about what happens. S2 however opens up with Mao back and as a cat. In between the two seasons, Hei found Mao and got him hooked up to new remote servers, working with his new bosses the US CIA. Of course, the opening of S2 basically begins with someone fucking icing cat-Mao and Mao jumps bodies into a shitty flying squirrel that is too ugly and goofy and not nearly as cool as Mao the black cat.
Image


meDotJS wrote:
Spoiler: show
Started off not liking any of the characters as people at the start, but the show won me over to them. I ended up liking all of them, even Huang, who I was shocked I ended up liking and even feeling back when he died.
Darker Than Black has a fantastic cast. It starts out, you don't trust any of these assholes, but slowly you learn who they are, why they're the way that they are, and they're given opportunities to show their humanity. And by the show's end, it really sucks that you can't spend any more time hanging out with them, especially when some of them don't get enough screen time, and you just wish that they could have had a few more fluff episodes dedicated to them so that their life wasn't all suffering.

meDotJS wrote:Good watch. Though you and I have different opinions of what "bleak outlook" means Kenzo. That wasn't really bleak. I mean it wasn't all sunshine and roses but it ended on a decent note and was even pretty lighthearted at points, even introducing a comedy-relief duo that really served no purpose but to lighten the mood.
Dude, that show is bleak as hell. It's by the same people who did Wolf's Rain, and it's basically got the same tone and some similar themes. There are obviously some light hearted moments now and then so that the pace is broken up and that you can see a different side to certain characters. But all that exists first and foremost as a reference point to make the dark/sad shit even darker/sadder. You say it isn't that bleak, but man... the show ends in a way that isn't so happy. I mean, there are certainly some positive things to look forward to but mostly its sad.
Spoiler: show
I mean, half the cast dies in really sad ways. Hei has to abandon Tokyo and all the friendships/relationships he's built up. Love of Hei's life Amber dies in his arms after he realizes he was being horrible to her for so long for no reason. Hei doesn't get reunited with his sister. Misaki is left alone to wonder/pine over a man who she'll probably never see again and that she never really knew. Hei will probably have to spend the rest of his life on the run with Yin, running in fear from the Organization and constantly sleeping with one eye open. And now the knowledge of what contractors are is in the public, meaning the world is now doomed to the whole X-Men dilemma of increased paranoia and violence surrounding these 'inhuman' people.


I see on MAL you gave Darker Than Black an 8/10. Totally respectable score and stuff. Just wondering what kind of issues you did have with the show that kept it from being better in your eyes.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Jan 26th, 2015 @ 12:07pm

I also feel compelled to point out the soundtrack too medot. It's easy to overlook the soundtrack for this show because the most visible music - the OP and ED - are garbage. And sometimes it gets lost in the shuffle (especially if your anime watching experience leads to you having the volume relatively lowered like me) but the BG music is top shelf. It's a Yoko Kanno composition, so of course it's going to be amazing. Darker Than Black's OST has absolutely entered my busy-time background music shuffle.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby meDotJS » Jan 27th, 2015 @ 12:17am

I guess when you said "bleak" I was imagining NGE/EOE levels of bleakness, so probably my fault for false expectations.

Also that S2 spoiler killed any desire I had to watch it.

The reason I didn't give it any higher than an 8/10 was because it fell into that trap I kinda hate where it builds up to some mid-series climax and then goes back to square one (well, not square one, but close) again and then expects us to sit through another buildup. It can be done right but for the most part I just kinda get a little frustrated when that happens unless they introduce something new to distract me for the next buildup. Also the comedy-relief duo was a little on the weaker side and I really didn't see the point in them getting so much screentime. I'm fine with comedic relief but it felt thrown in to Darker than Black.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS
User avatar
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sep 19th, 2012 @ 5:26pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Jan 27th, 2015 @ 12:51pm

meDotJS wrote:Also that S2 spoiler killed any desire I had to watch it.
Hop on mumble some time, and I can give you a rundown of the trainwreck that is S2 and to a lesser extent the OVAs. Or just do like I (and the rest of the internet) do and pretend there's no such thing as a S2 to begin with. Pretty common sight on message boards like /a/ for people to be like "Darker Than Black Season 3 when?" and have all the replies be, "You need a Season 2 first."

meDotJS wrote:The reason I didn't give it any higher than an 8/10 was because it fell into that trap I kinda hate where it builds up to some mid-series climax and then goes back to square one (well, not square one, but close) again and then expects us to sit through another buildup.
Image
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 22nd, 2015 @ 4:50pm

Kenzo, do you have any anime to trade me for Steven Universe?
CrossXhunteR
User avatar
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Jul 3rd, 2010 @ 2:09pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Jul 23rd, 2015 @ 10:37am

Depends on how much Stephen Universe I need to be watching, since I see there's multiple seasons.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 23rd, 2015 @ 10:41am

There are currently 67, 11-minute episodes. Season 1 ends at episode 49. I would say watch to there, or to current.
CrossXhunteR
User avatar
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Jul 3rd, 2010 @ 2:09pm

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Jul 23rd, 2015 @ 11:04am

That's about 3 cours of anime. Then your options are as follows:

Lunch Set A:
- The Eccentric Family (13 ep)
- Space Dandy (26 ep)

Lunch Set B:
-The Eccentric Family (13 ep)
-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (26 ep)

Lunch Set C:
-The Eccentric Family (13 ep)
-Chinese Electric Batman S1 (25 ep)

Eccentric Family is the closest thing to watching a Ghibli TV show short of picking up Future Boy Conan. You get no choice on this one.

Pick Lunch Set A if you want a mixed bag of crazy fun times.

Pick Lunch Set B if you want hot blooded action and to experience the epitome of manliness.

Pick Lunch Set C if you want to watch CHINESE ELECTRIC BATMAN.

You also get no choice on amazing music, because ALL these shows have an AMAZING soundtrack. Except for Darker than Black's OPs/EDs, those blow. If you need help digging up how to watch some of these lemmie know. But you should generally avoid low quality streams because they're all gorgeous shows, and how amazing they look is part of why they're getting picked here.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Options

Return to Other Geekery

cron