Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: Kenzo's Anime Hostage Exchange Program

Postby kenzo » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 11:50pm

I'm really looking forward to it, I love hard scifi. But I'm going to basically be putting off almost all anime watching for about a week during fucking summer school finals which are destroying my life.
kenzo

Postby meDotJS » Jul 16th, 2014 @ 12:13am

Wow, it would really suck if I were to throw another show on top of your already long list during this busy time...
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby kenzo » Jul 16th, 2014 @ 12:58am

meDotJS wrote:Wow, it would really suck if I were to throw another show on top of your already long list during this busy time...
Like, you can, but it's going to take some time to get around to me watching it.
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Jul 16th, 2014 @ 8:19am

Finished Psycho-Bump. Really enjoyed the ending and most of the series but the later half has more intrigue and momentum that you might not expect from watching the first half. Another false sense you may get from the first half is the level of aptitude the show can have while dealing with it's own concepts. The second half introduces elements I wouldn't of enjoyed but does so in suspensfull ways that encourage you to stick with it and once the smoke clears it goes in unique directions. I might type more specifics at another time when I'm not on my PS3.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 16th, 2014 @ 8:22am

You use the internet in really strange ways Dar.
CrossXhunteR

Postby darfox8 » Jul 16th, 2014 @ 8:26am

I can't deny it. I'm a G at PS3!
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Jul 16th, 2014 @ 9:25am

Hopefully Dar , now you understand why I was pushing so hard for you to get into the second half of the show so you could see the ending.
Last edited by kenzo on Jul 16th, 2014 @ 9:36am, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Jul 16th, 2014 @ 9:29am

Yes Son, it's just that I wanted you to walk a different path than me.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Jul 16th, 2014 @ 9:38am

Fucking autocorrection
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Jul 31st, 2014 @ 10:23am

Just wrapped up Car Driver. It was a good show with very consistent quality from start to finish. It doesn't always draw you in or it takes a few episode but it's never a bad show because even when it's not super magnetizing it's still super colorful and energetic.

Car Driver is colorful show about horny young adults. There's a lot of innuendo and straight up perverted-ness but it's not drawn as scummy or as cheap inserts to fill a quota. The scenes are scripted with these "fanservice" shots in mind so they're actually not "fanservice" they're gags and punchlines and recurring jokes. When creating a panty shot in a scummy show I can only assume they're goal is to show as much as possible for as long as possible to satisfy the nerds and not get in trouble. In Car Driver the purpose is to tell a joke or provide incentive for character emotions and/or lust. There's a good amount of irreverent humor that feels good natured even when it involves pervy yoai fantasies.

Car Driver is occasionally super cryptic as well. Or more like it's constantly at least a little cryptic. Until the last few episodes you never really find out what the villains goal is, what the main char is doing on the island, the nature of the mechs called Cybodies, or certain char's allegiances. You know your cryptic when the bad guys you know little about are conspiring against each other for unknown reason. It's very strange to see the villain's double lives. You see variable maliciousness in their "bad" personas then change into their every day selves and be all chummy with their arch nemesis. You come to the conclusion that either they don't really want to fight against the main char(and it's just a necessary step to achieving their goal) or their Kiroboshi order is so guided by rules and regulations that they can never act on their own or outside of the predetermined battlegrounds. Things happen in the show that support both ideas so it probably lies somewhere in between. Meaning that it's different motivations for different chars. Certain chars would like nothing else than to seize a chance and shit on everything and fuck the world, while others would much prefer for things to go amicably and peacefully, because they just see their "evil plot" as the most pragmatic way to deal with these supernatural forces at play.

What is the purpose of the mysterious cryptic-ness in a show where the main char announces him self as the Galactic Pretty Boy? I have no idea. Maybe they just wanted to create layers in the show to make it more engrossing or to make it seem deeper. Maybe they wanted to create incentive for repeat viewing. Either way it's kinda the style or tone of the show. If they make a sequel I would expect a similar mysterious tone, dealing with the few things they hint at but never show again in these 25 episodes.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Aug 3rd, 2014 @ 6:53am

Glad you pushed through Star Driver, Dar. It's a fun show. I forgot to ask you how you felt about the ending. IMO, that's as good of an ending that you're gonna get in a blood-pumping show. It was like TTGL, but a lot better, IMO, because rainbows, sparkles, kiraboshi, and a giant fuck you to people who need resolution in their love triangles/love polygons (spoilers I guess).

I really enjoyed the 'cryptic' nature of the show, because it was the right kind of crypitc. Where things weren't mysterious just for the sake of mystery like in a bad show such as Lost. You know, where the writers invent mysteries without knowing themselves where things are going and with no plan to actually answer things. Star Driver poses a lot of questions, but they're almost all answered by the end. And the beautiful thing about the 'cryptic' mysteries is that they aren't actually mysteries or actually being cryptic.

Star Driver does a thing I wish more fiction would do, where the show just deposits the viewer into the middle of a fully formed and well thought out universe, without any setup or explanation. There's no narrator info-dumping, and there's no characters explaining things to people in ways that break immersion because the characters involved should already know what's going on. Every character we're shown has a personality, their own motives and objectives, and they all act in the show according to said motives and perspectives. The first few episodes are really confusing in that manner because things are happening, and we don't really know why - having just been thrust into this world. But Star Driver respects its viewers, doesn't dumb anything down, and assumes its viewers are intelligent enough to piece together things themselves through simply observing this world over time and becoming more familiar with it. It's so much more fun and engaging to have to pay attention to a show and to slowly figure things out yourself in such a manner rather being spoon-fed your narrative.

I really liked the Glittering Crux too. It seems confusing at first because the structure of the story presents them as the villains - they kidnap the princess, keep another princess in chains, provide resistance to our main character, and generally gloriously act like old school cartoon villains. But the thing is that they're not actually bad guys (by and large). Everyone is there for their own reasons, and most of them are noble or at the very least sympathetic. I think the only problem with the show is that its cast is actually too broad. There's dozens of Crux members, and there's barely enough screen time for them all. That's something I think Captain Earth is doing right ATM - its bad guy brigade is about a third of the size of the Crux, so we're getting to spend much more time with each individual bad guy so that they feel more fleshed out (only problem is, the main core duo of baddies are not actually all that interesting, unlike say, the majority of the Glittering Crux).
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Sep 13th, 2014 @ 12:21pm

Remember when kenzo made this thread everybody? Remember when he promised to watch our shows?
dakazu

Postby CrossXhunteR » Sep 13th, 2014 @ 1:15pm

Or read my comic. I have watched one of my recommendations and a few episodes of the other.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Sep 13th, 2014 @ 3:19pm

Ya'll niggas got scammed
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Sep 13th, 2014 @ 11:30pm

Not really going to make excuses, I'm a little disappointed in myself for not catching up. I've just been slammed with shit I've been watching lately. I'm watching 14 currently airing shows. Couple that with work, school, and playing dumb amounts of dota, it's been hard watching hostage exchange shows. My laptop is also at full capacity, which means I never have enough space on it to just download an entire show on a whim, so it's easy to keep putting it off. Now that this season is drawing to a close, I can offload a bunch of archived shows and next season (weirdly, because that's not how anime seasonal patterns work) I should be following less shows so I'll start tackling these exchange shows in earnest. Either way though, I've got a ton of shows to burn through from everyone so it was always going to be a slow process. I expected you guys to take a while to watch my recommendations, but you all surpassed expectations like total pros.

I've been reading Gunderkreig Court (you can't stop me cross) here and there today. Burned through about 100 pages so far. It's not bad for a web comic. I probably couldn't do as well at least. If I hold it to those expectations rather than professional ones it's pretty good. It's just sooooo ugly at times. Guy/gal needs to practice drawing some more and develop a better style. Also, holy shit does this comic want to be Harry Potter real bad. Which is honestly fine - I feel like that formula hasn't been abused yet and I miss Harry Potter.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Sep 14th, 2014 @ 12:15am

Cross... I finally know what your stupid forum avatar is a reference to... :x
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Sep 14th, 2014 @ 12:49am

I thought it was that wolf from Okami.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Sep 14th, 2014 @ 12:50am

No, it's a god damned demon furry from the webcomic he's making me read!
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Sep 14th, 2014 @ 4:50am

The art is really shitty for a while, but it does gradually get better, to a point where it is not an embarrassment. It also develops a more formal plot instead of just having unconnected stories.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Sep 16th, 2014 @ 6:05am

Cross, I'm 62% finished with your comic.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Sep 16th, 2014 @ 6:37am

Cool. So around chapter 30 or so?
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Sep 16th, 2014 @ 6:43am

Just finished Chapter 32?
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Sep 18th, 2014 @ 2:50am

Finished Cross's comic.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Sep 18th, 2014 @ 3:23am

We need to talk tonight. Also, good job. Webcomics usually read as fast if not faster than manga.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Sep 18th, 2014 @ 7:34am

It wasn't that bad, but I have a lot of nagging problems with it. Namely, it's ambitious and wants to be as fleshed out of a world as Harry Potter, but it's clearly making everything up as it goes in a super impromptu manner. And that leads to a lot of narrative inconsistencies that dig under my skin. Lots of fun moments though. Definitely better than most shit webcomics, but that isn't saying much. Also, the author has the biggest hard-on ever for his waifus and as a reader it makes me feel weird.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Sep 18th, 2014 @ 7:42am

I don't think the author knew what he was doing/wanted to do with the comic until about chapter 7. I don't feel like a lot of the latter parts are just spur-of-the-moment story telling, as there is a lot of stuff that is hinted at and foreshadowed much earlier on. Those treatise pages are basically just Foreshadowing: The Comic Book Page. Of all the webcomics I read, I feel like this one is probably one of the best at not just making everything up page to page, probably because I know that their is at least a 3 month backlog the author is sitting on. One of my main gripes with it is similar to a problem I have with normal comics, in the fact that it can be very focused on stuff in one chapter and then not mention or revisit it for a long while/ever.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Sep 18th, 2014 @ 7:53am

There are times where I've spotted that yeah, someone is hinted at, and it's clear it's going to go somewhere within a chapter or two. But it's never farther than that. Most things happen completely out of left field in ways that I'm like "OK, I can see why you did that, but that was insufficiently built upon." Maybe this author thinks up an idea a month or so in advance and implements it later. But there's nothing remotely close to a series bible for this guy, or a long term plan where they know where they want to go from page one until the last page in the last book. That's what made Harry Potter special, and I don't think this person realizes that.

Like the, "Hey! You're a fire spirit now!" moment. Or, "Hey, you're bisexual now!" moment. Those are bad moments with zero lead up. Where as at least the whole robotic angel thing is something that feels a little more built up properly.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Sep 18th, 2014 @ 8:52am

Harry Potter was happy to just make stuff up but it was easy to dismiss anything out of the ordinary because of wizards and magic and stuff. The world that this comic lives in is very open to the idea of myth. One of the few things that bothers me is the flashback panel that explains Annie's acceptance of Kat's sexuality, as that was literally something that the reader was not privy to, but could have been as those events take place in between moments of the story. I feel like both the fire-elemental-thing and the story about Kat's sexuality are both fairly grounded in the events of the story and easy to see where they come from.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Sep 24th, 2014 @ 11:33pm

Now that this season is drawing to a close, I've finally got some free time to watch more recommendations and free up hdd space for them. Moonlight Mile is proving really hard to find. But the show's obscurity is only making my hipster boner even harder!

Watched the first episode of Claymore. OP and ED are kinda garbage. I'm curious to see where this goes though if only because I have no idea where it's going. MC so far is pretty boring though.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Sep 24th, 2014 @ 11:36pm

Also, I think I'll officially absolve cross from watching my second recommendation considering how fast I went through gunterkeg court. Unless cross wants to just watch it anyways or give me a second recommendation.
kenzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics