Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: Gunpla/Model Kits/Crafts Thread

Postby kevinep3 » Jan 2nd, 2016 @ 8:33pm

kenzo wrote:Kevin, look at that shitty, cheap, monotone box... I think u got ripped off with a knockoff, man. U should mail that to me and I'll dispose of it for u.
kenzo wrote:Kevin, look at that shitty, cheap, monotone box... I think u got ripped off with a knockoff, man. U should mail that to me and I'll dispose of it for u.

So far the contents of the box seem to be legit
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby kenzo » Jan 2nd, 2016 @ 8:54pm

I mean, u thought the Tallgeese III was legit until I told u it wasn't...
kenzo

Postby kevinep3 » Jan 2nd, 2016 @ 9:01pm

kenzo wrote:I mean, u thought the Tallgeese III was legit until I told u it wasn't...

Just watched a bunch of japanese ppl on youtube do unboxings and builds and all have that colored box. So far seems legit.
kevinep3

Postby LiQuid » Jan 2nd, 2016 @ 9:14pm

You should probably give it to konzo. He only has your best interests in mind here.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jan 3rd, 2016 @ 7:28am

CrossXhunteR

Postby kevinep3 » Jan 9th, 2016 @ 12:04pm

Body is done, need to do weapons next.
kevinep3

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jan 9th, 2016 @ 2:58pm

Those weapons look like a pain in the ass with how many parts there are.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Jan 9th, 2016 @ 3:13pm

CrossXhunteR wrote:Those weapons look like FUN with how many parts there are.

ftfy

Lookin' gud so far kev
kenzo

Postby kevinep3 » Mar 25th, 2016 @ 6:35am

kevinep3

Postby CrossXhunteR » Mar 25th, 2016 @ 7:28am

So, when are you getting a Wing Gundam MG, and which one you going to get?
CrossXhunteR

Postby kevinep3 » Mar 25th, 2016 @ 10:15am

CrossXhunteR wrote:So, when are you getting a Wing Gundam MG, and which one you going to get?

Oh wing, gundams aren't supposed to have feathers.
kevinep3

Postby kenzo » Apr 19th, 2016 @ 7:43pm

The MG Gundam X was on sale on Amazon for a bit so I bought one. It's a good looking mech.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » May 25th, 2016 @ 11:03am

Update!

It's been a while since I last worked on any gunpla at all. Since last post, I ordered an MG Origin Gundam, and got my MG X in the mail. I Started doing work on the mk II a few nights ago, and then did a bunch this evening/tonight. So here's progress.

This is the right foot. It's crazy how much more complicated merely the foot is versus some of the older MGs. Like, the God Gundam just uses a flat, rubber sole. The ZZ doesn't really have different plastic for the sole either. This one, the sole is made of a composite of like 5 different pieces all fitting inside each other. It's also a BIG foot. Bigger than even the ZZ's, which is weird b/c the ZZ is a good meter or two taller. Those metalic piston things are cool.

This is the inner frame of the leg completed, with me working on some of the outer shell. All that exquisite detail on the leg parts? Completely obscured by the armor. You could snap the armor pieces off pretty easy, but I'll ever do that, so glued into place it goes.

Here's the right leg, on the left side. You can see where the seam comes together on the thigh. I contemplated plastic cementing it closed and trying to seam weld, but the seam wasn't a perfect fit, and I was getting a little too lazy to the hard work to fix it. Plus, that seam line looks kinda cool. IRL that seam is probably there anyways, since it would be ridiculous to machine a solid piece around the leg like that.

This is the right side of the leg, while bent. There's a pretty good range of motion, and the armor separation and how it moves with the body while the leg bends is friggin neat. Imma go out on a limb and assume the HGs don't have nearly as many moving parts. Not really pictured is in the back, there's fabric mesh hoses look cool as hell too.

I've also been watching Gundam Build Fighters, and that's a rad show. But the only downside (besides the nagging sensation while watching that you know you're just watching a really blatant, shameless, and glorified commercial) is that there's soooo many cool mechs/gunpla, but so many of them just straight up don't actually have kits. Or at least, kits that are as detailed and amazing as in the show. Like, I'm seeing obscure-ass kits from Turn-A that just straight up don't exist (like the Wa-Dom) or if they do, they're shit kits that aren't even HG and look like someone left a gunpla kit in the sun and it melted (like the Devil Gundam).
kenzo

Postby Jenn04 » May 26th, 2016 @ 10:08am

Nice! Very clean panel lining too - I see a ton of QTips in the background - that took some elbow grease, huh? Haha! Man the way the armor separates when you bend the leg looks phenomenal. The leg looks huge on its own though - how tall is the whole thing supposed to be?
Jenn04

Postby kenzo » May 26th, 2016 @ 10:34am

Jenn04 wrote:Nice! Very clean panel lining too - I see a ton of QTips in the background - that took some elbow grease, huh? Haha!
Tellin you, Jenn. Painting your panel lines is where it's at. QTips are for cleaning the panel lining up, which is IMO an easier process than with the gundam marker.

Jenn04 wrote:Man the way the armor separates when you bend the leg looks phenomenal. The leg looks huge on its own though - how tall is the whole thing supposed to be?
Most Gundams, if you break them down, most of their volume is based in the legs. My Turn-A for example, the legs are like 2.5x the height of the torso & head put together. According to this wikia business, based on the heights of stuff and scalled down to 1/100 scale, the Mk II will end up being a little less than an inch taller than your Tallgeese.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » May 28th, 2016 @ 3:35am

More progress pics. This time of the left leg. Here's the inner frame from the right side. Man, there's so much detail on the frame that goes completely to waste unless you're doing like, battle damage custom builds. That said tho, it's still awesome to put together. I'd be sad if it didn't look like this on the inside while putting together, or if it had the simplicity of a HG. You can see some of the OCD panel lining in this picture - things that you'll never see while the armor is on. But you'll see just enough between the cracks/joints of the armor that not panel lining wasn't an option, and if you go that far, might as well go the full mile. Given the dark color of the plastic, maybe you can't readily tell the panel lining is there, but there was a huge difference before and after.

Here's the left side of the inner frame, while flexed. This picture (and the last one too) you can see a number of nub marks. I was decidedly less deligent in cleaning them up because of how much work that takes and how most of those spots aren't going to be visible at all under armor. I might go back and clean a few spots up, but probably not. Also, check that articulation tho!

Jenn wanted perspective so here's the legs matched up with the torso. I have the armor on this leg, then the waist, and that's about it besides some accessories and the stand.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Jun 2nd, 2016 @ 3:08am

Finished my MG Mk II a few days or so ago, and finished up with most of the accessories. And I should put quotes around 'finished' because yet again, I'm not putting decals on. It just kinda doesn't need it and looks pretty boss as-is. A lot of the decals are flourishes like AEUG or Argama logos that just feel kinda wrong because that's not how it ever looked during the shows or films. And I'll also justify it because if I ever decide to paint it, I'll decal afterwards. But asterisks aside, woo! Here she is:

Mk II is a very well designed mobile suit, and this v2 is a very well designed plamo. Also, going forward I'm making it so if you click on the image, you can easily get forwarded to a higher res pic of the same pic if you like.

It comes with its own base, which is a hanger for inside the Argama. Here it is with the dock lifted, and the little floaty worker-guys, and the cockpit hatch open for a ghetto-diorama. When I make the Zeta later, that comes with a complementary base too, which is a launch runway:

Here it is from the back. I latched the bazooka launcher to its butt-flap. If you zoom in, you can see some of the really neat details like the cloth mesh pipes that make up some pipes/cabling for the Mk II. Also, if I were to ever paint this bad boy, the inside of the rockets should be red. It looks really good that way.

Here's the Mk II with its beam rifle and its shield. The 'ammo cartridge' for its rifle is detachable and there's extra cartridges attached to the inside of the shield. The shield isn't held by a grip, but attached to the forearm which adds stability but looks kinda wonky if you look at the connecting part. The Bazooka launcher's ammo cartridge also detaches, and the extra one can be attached to the hip of the Mk II.

Here's the Mk II with its beam saber. The way the beam saber connects to the hand, the way it connects to the backpack, and the shape of the beam itself is probably the most satisfying beam saber I've made to date.

"Lt. Emma Sheen, Gundam Mk II... Launching!" (Play this music in the BG)

Action pose! My GP Bases are stashed away somewhere, and I'd also have to look into whatever is the proper way to mount the Mk II as well, so this is about as elaborate of an action pose as I'll do for now:

So with this, half of the Gundam Team is assembled!

Here's the Mk II next to all the others I've made to date for more scale reference. When you look at the Mk II compared to the orginal Gundam or the Hyaku Shiki, it looks kinda chunky. But all you need to do is stick it next to the ZZ and it looks downright slim. :lol:

So that's it. We'll see which one I'll tackle next. I really want to finish the Gundam Team, but I also want to hone skills more before going after the Zeta and the Hyaku Shiki. I can only imagine how awful the Hyaku Shiki would look right now with me scraping away the nubs and half of the thing's paint along with it. Maybe my Quebeley, or my F91? Or my Origin Gundam? For this Mk II, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It looks a little weird standing next to the ZZ because it's so much newer and more detailed, and the plastic is a much higher quality too. The flexibility is actually superb here, it's better than pretty much every one I've made to date, but part of that is just owed to the simplicity of the design. The armor separation in the legs is really neat. The obvious seam I complained about a post or two ago? Turns out that's actually by design! The armor slides letting the leg bend even more. All that said, the unit is a little flimsy? The joints don't feel super tight or anything, but they're not bad. The kit itself feels very solid though. I don't know how much of that is just good engineering, and how much of it is me gluing everything down (which IMO seems like it helps a great amount). The MG Mk II v2 is a really good kit, it comes highly recommended from me. Oh, and one more sexy bonus pic before I wrap up this blog post:

:o
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jun 2nd, 2016 @ 4:46am

I really like the cage and launching platforms that come with this and the MG Zeta.

I hear that the Origin RX-78-2 is probably one of the best kits around, at least in regards to articulation.

I like the cut-ins that were added for the appropriate characters.

Am I wrong, or was the Mk II's beam saber not yellow at some point? Maybe it changed when it changed sides or something.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Jun 2nd, 2016 @ 11:10pm

The platforms are kinda silly; I'm probably going to bag it up w/ the accessories and forget about it. :lol: I'm getting to the point where I'm considering a display case, but like, I don't know if I've given up on life enough to do that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The cut-ins was actually really embarrassing to do; it's so dorky. But I wanted to make a joke image to look like you would see in a Gundam; Tomino loves his cut-ins like that.

I counted and I'm sitting on a backlog of 6 MG kits. :oops: I should probably stop buying Gunpla for a while until I do some more catching up. That's actually quite a bit of money I'm sitting on. So unless an MG Burning Try, or an MG G-Self, or an MG God Gundam or ZZ 2.0 show up outta nowhere, I'll impose a ban until I've finished like, 4 of these. When I do buy more (besides the wishful thinking ones I listed that only exist in my dreams) I think the next place I'll go is with a tandem duo of the Nu and a Re-GZ.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jun 17th, 2016 @ 7:56pm

Finally finished the kit I started at the very beginning of the year. Some of the stickers bugged me, as did some of the nub placements. A cool kit overall. I'm super glad I was able to pick this up over the anime variant, as I much prefer the colors of this one, plus it has more stickers included.
Kind of ripped it in half right as I finished it, and was super worried that I wasn't going to be able to put it back together.

Cleaning nubs on rounded parts super sucks, especially when they are on the dark weapons. I'm still not super successful at cleaning up weapons well, so there are lots of scratches on them. Top coat would fix that probably, but I don't know if I'm up to doing it on one of my kits yet. I do need to glue down some pieces, as the vents on the chest keep slipping out when I handle it.

My favorite feature on this kit is the shield arms, but they are much harder to work with than I though they would be. The arms themselves do not have articulation down the length of them. Lots of poses are achievable, they just require a lot of though on how to manipulate it to get what you want. Luckily, the Powered GM Cardigan has much more articulated arms for better posing.

CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Jun 28th, 2016 @ 8:50pm

I swore I would stop buying gunpla until I worked through my backlog more and also started saving more money.

Since then, I've purchased a Bearguy, the SD Star Winning Gundam, the HG Try Burning Gundam, the HG Lightning Gundam, and just now a fuckin' 1/72 YF-31J from Macross. :o

I'm going to end up homeless, and my shopping cart I push around is going to be full of plamo kits. :lol:
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Aug 7th, 2016 @ 4:34pm

Big, overdue update. Mostly to show-off for Kevin. What I've done lately:

MG Gundam F91:

Front:

Back:

The MG F91 was a bitch and a half to build. First off, it's small AF. MG kits are 1/100 scale, but the F91 is, as a plot point in universe, a good 25% shorter than your average Gundam. Just for comparison's sake with the ZZ Gundam:
Spoiler: show

So there's a fuckload of really small pieces to handle here, which ended up being frustrating to build. The kit also has no polycaps, which makes all the joints kinda loose and shitty. And the grooves for panel lines are a crapshoot and often too shallow for ink/paint to settle in properly. And the color separation on certain pieces leaves a lot to be desired, requiring a lot of painting that I'm not able/willing to do. All that said though, it was still a cheap kit, and turned out better than the G Gundam kits I made, and still looks like a boss (F91 is so rad), so I shouldn't complain too much.

HGBF Lightning Gundam:

Front:

Back:

Took a break from longer, more stressful MG builds and made some of my first High Grades. Partially to take a break, and partially b/c that's my only option to make these Build Fighters Try mechs I like. This is the Lightning Gundam. It was a good looking kit for an HG, and came out real clean. The Lightning Gundam has a few backpack options, which I made but aren't pictured here. They're cool looking backpacks, but I 1) Broke them, and 2) they unbalance the kit and cause it to droop and fall over. If only there was a MG...

HGBF Try Burning Gundam:

Front:

Fuck this kit tho. As good as the Lightning was, this was awful. It's very detailed and offers a lot of articulation for a HG. But it's flimsy as shit and all its panel lines are poorly grooved. It's also designed so that you can swap out a lot of the clear blue pieces with special effect pieces. But without glue/plastic cement, the blue pieces fit very poorly and are prone to falling off. But if you glue them down, it defeats the purpose of the kit/effect accessories. All of which is really upsetting, because it's a great mech. I wish there was a MG version for it. Oh, I also ended up erasing and redoing the panel lines on the head so much that I caused the head piece to crack in half. Check it:

SD Star Winning Gundam:

Front SD Mode:

Front Real Mode:

The Winning Gundam/Star Winning Gundam is an SD Gundam. The Star Winning Gundam has a gimmick though that lets it turn into a "Real Mode" and more like a conventional kit. I think that's pretty amazing. Unfortunately, the kit is still an SD kit, and that means it's overly simple in design. Too many shitty stickers to deal with color separation. Poor levels of detail in a lot of places. And like zero range of motion in its joints. Can't complain too much for a cheap SD kit though. I don't normally like SD Gundams, but the Star Winning Gundam is pretty boss. One of my favorites from GBF Try.

Try Fighters Go!

HGBF Beargguy (F):

Front:

Back:

I swore up and down I'd never get a beargguy, and that they were lame. And then I gave Build Fighters a try, and now I like them. Womp womp. This is a Mamagguy and her lil Petit'gguy. This was actually a surprisingly fun build. There was a lot more detail and pieces to put together versus the other HGs I built, with less stickers. The Beargguy itself actually has most of an inner frame, and it's a big kit, putting it closer in line with an MG. This was also the first time I tried panel lining in a color other than black. The grey worked really well here I think. I might, depending on context, default onto grey panel lines for white plastic in the future.

MG Gundam X:

Front:

Back:

Satelite Cannon:
Image\

Great kit. Clean. Well made. Rad colors. Amazing and easy panel lines. Fun gimmicks. Fresh design. Good articulation. Only annoying thing is the hands, which doesn't offer articulated fingers and needs them swapped out. Other than that a lot of fun.

MG Gundam RX-78-2 The Origin Ver.:

Front:

Sword & Board:

Final Pose:

Most of the things I said about the MG GX, you could say about this kit. Only even better. Lots of great little details, incredible articulation, a buttload of accessories, and lots of neat gimmicks. There's a spot for an LED to make the eyes light up. The hands are fully articulated, to the point where each knuckle in each individual finger bends. No core-block bullshit so the torso is sturdy and is allowed to bend and manipulate. Just a really beautiful kit. Best version of the Granddaddy Gundam.

Good ole Granddaddy has a message for you haters out there reading this too (you know who you are):

kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 8th, 2016 @ 8:53am

You are about the only person I've seen crap on the Try Burning as much as you have. I can understand about the falling off pieces though even with my somewhat different experience of the Build Burning. It has little white covers over the blue elbows that are prone to falling off anytime I move it or touch it. If it was an MG, I would hope for more of a snapping mechanism to the armor to make it secure.

Working on the MG Double X right now as my first Master Grade build. So far I'm really liking most, if not all, of the gate placements. Compared to some of the connection points on the HG's I've done, this has been quite pleasant.

I've started to use a 7-way nail buffing stick to deal with my nubs instead of my normal sanding sticks. They work really well, they just don't have the longest life to them. Luckily they are quite cheap, at about $2 a stick.

Kenzo, what camera are you using for your photos? It is probably also the lighting, but I feel like my photos never look good.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Aug 12th, 2016 @ 12:56pm

Try Burning is a piece of shit. The most aggravating thing about it is that it wouldn't take much to make it amazing with regards to making some of the panel lines more recessed, or getting pieces to fit snugly, or making the legs not wobbly pieces of shit.

MGs take more work, but they're so much more satisfying to build. I also ordered a DX, it should show up in the mail tomorrow. :D

Nail buffing sticks are legit.

I just use my iphone. Which honestly has some really disappointing image quality. A lot of getting the pictures to look "nice" is just lighting. If you scroll up to the MG Mk II v2 I made, the pictures look like ass because of the bad lighting. When I took the most recent batch of photos, I turned all the lights on in my room, made sure there wasn't any backlight anymore, and set up a lamp to shine light on it from the front/side so it would look better. Just take your pictures in places that aren't dark-ass basement rooms and you'll be good. I notice a lot of the dudes on /m/ go out of their way to take their pics outside during the daytime for the best lighting. If you don't want to move around lamps and shit that might be the way to go for you.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Sep 30th, 2016 @ 10:26pm

Last two kits I worked on:

1/72 scale VF-31J Seigfried Veritable Fighter from Macross Delta:

This kit looks good at first glance, but it was a frustrating build filled with lots of things that bug me. Pretty much all the color separation you see on this kit is achieved with decals. So that was a lot of stress and problems. Being a transforming kit as well, it's kinda finicky and doesn't do the best job of being sturdy. I don't really like how it looks transformed either, and transforming it is such a pain in the ass that I never bothered to transform it after finishing making it. :lol: Still, the VF-31 is sexy as hell. It's roughly the size and price of a MG kit; maybe a little bigger. There's a matching one in purple coming out in a few months that I'll probably buy. Here's a look at the plane's undercarriage:

MG Gundam Double X:

This is the upgraded version of the Gundam X I built before. I wasn't the biggest fan of how the DX looked in its TV show, but man is this kit sexy. It's backpack is ridiculous and makes the kit slouch backwards. But that's only a concern when its solar array is tucked away like pic above. When it gets into firing mode tho, ohhhh boy does it look sexy:

:mrgreen:

Next kit to tackle... I'm gonna need some Good Luck Mode for...
kenzo

Gunpla/Model Kits/Crafts Thread

Postby Reidyjfl » Sep 25th, 2017 @ 12:12am

I am wondering if anybody has used the resin casting kits. I need a 5th wheel for my Jeep Rubicon project but nobody sells individual wheels and tires and I dont want to have just 3 wheels and tires I cant use sitting around. So if anybody has used them, will it work?

Thanks
Reliable superior trading system for successful business
Reidyjfl

Postby Sonomyxg » Oct 8th, 2017 @ 10:28am

Depends on how much you want those star wars/trek kits to look good, you may want to grab some cheap kits to practice on before the real thing. Last time after a long hiatus, I wanted to get back into building model kits, I went out to get a cheap car kit to practice on before getting into the expensive kits.

As for your questions:
I'm using this superior trading system for profitable business
Sonomyxg

Postby Mandietxoj » Oct 10th, 2017 @ 11:02am

Welcome to DX, Rudyard I moved your question to our Custom model section. There are many helpful tutorials that you might want to research first and I am sure many members that could chime in with helpful tips.
Reliable mt4 expert advisor for self-earnings
Mandietxoj

Previous
Forum Statistics