Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Gunpla/Model Kits/Crafts Thread

Postby kenzo » Aug 3rd, 2015 @ 9:34pm

Might as well make a thread for this kinda stuff! Go craft hobbies!

Edit: Going to include some info here in the OP for easy referencing, and hide my original OP.

Here's a translation guide to what the symbols in the instruction manuals mean:
http://www.mech9.com/2009/10/meaning-of ... anual.html

Here's video guide & tutorial to applying decals:

If y'all have any additions I should throw here in the OP, lemmie know!

Spoiler: show
I've wanted to make a Gundam kit for years, finally nutted up and bought a kit. Picked up a Master Grade Turn-A Gundam. I've barely opened the box and I feel like I'm already in over my head.

Here's what the kit is supposed to look like when it's done:

Opening the box: Yikes!

Here's the contents - literally started panicking while unboxing:

I been watching/reading gunpla building advice. You're supposed to be able to make these kits without any tools or glue, but I'd like it to look a little nicer. I've got a hobby-nipper for taking the plastic pieces apart, pens (official Gundam-brand ones! :lol:) for doing detail work like accenting the lines, q-tips and alcohol for cleaning up marker-mistakes, and a x-acto knife. I still need some fine-grit sand paper and maaaaybe some hobby glue, but I'm not a big fan of how that ends up looking sometimes. This video gave me an anxiety attack while watching all the crap that goes into building one of these:

I'll start soon, maybe build this a little while watching TI5.

Bonus picture of my cat getting in the way because she noticed a new thing that doesn't smell like her and needs her scent rubbed on it:
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 11th, 2015 @ 5:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Re: Gunpla/Model Kits/Crafts Thread

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 4th, 2015 @ 4:47am

Instead of staining it for wear, I see you cutting yourself with the x-acto and staining it with blood. SUPER COOL.

You think there are 3D-Printer enthusiasts that have printed there own pieces and made custom models?
CrossXhunteR

Postby Rodney » Aug 4th, 2015 @ 10:11am

I've only put together one of these kits before. The Kotobukiya Metal Gear Rex. The box is the full size of two cats, so I can imagine how you feel. There were so many plastic sheets and a thick instruction book. I wanted to do a master build too, but then I let it sit in the box for a year. Despite not having perfectly filed down plastic nubs and or being painted, it still looks pretty amazing so don't feel too pressured to be perfect. If you have the months/patience though, go for it.
Rodney

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 4th, 2015 @ 10:52am

I keep thinking about buying the God Gundam, but I want Kenzo to build his first and document his experiences.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Aug 4th, 2015 @ 11:34am

Rodney wrote:I've only put together one of these kits before. The Kotobukiya Metal Gear Rex.
Post pics!!

CrossXhunteR wrote:I keep thinking about buying the God Gundam, but I want Kenzo to build his first and document his experiences.
I love G Gundam but that titular Gundam is pretty low on my wish list/priorities. You should just buy/build/photograph too!!
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Aug 4th, 2015 @ 6:24pm

Stepped into an LCS for the first time in like a decade to get some hobby supplies. Got some plastic cement, some files, and a gundam stand. I think I'm ready to rumble on building now.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Aug 5th, 2015 @ 2:59pm

Last night, I put together that Gundam stand:

Dat LCS-tax doe! :o

Here's what it looks like before I put it together:

The whole point of this exercise was to build up a little experience and tinker on something that's NOT my precious Turn-A. Snipping and grinding down the little nubs is harder than it looks. Very uneven results I was getting. I picked up some fine-grit sandpaper and some sharp x-acto knifes today though, so hopefully I can get a little better results here with the Gundam itself. And here it is put together:

While shoving the base together, I put a big crack in it, though I think it'll be fine. All-in-all, good stuff. I have a little bit of confidence now. But the whole process of putting together this little stand was well over an hour, so the Turn-A itself is going to take a fucking loooong time. I'm kind of worried about the cat making off with little pieces too. :?
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Aug 5th, 2015 @ 8:22pm

So, finished the first part of the kit. I'm just going by directions, and directions have me doing the upper torso first:

Hopefully, this was the hardest this kit gets, because there were a billion tiny little pieces. There's like a dozen different boards, but this one only took 5:

Step 1: The skeleton

Step 2: The waist and shoulder pivots

Step 3: The shell

Step 4: The missile cages (done!)

This took a lot of work. Just doing the cutting and sanding of the nubs was a lot of work, and it was pretty hard because the pieces were so small. Managed to mostly avoid cutting myself so that's good. Bonus picture:

This is a pic of one of the smaller pieces I was working with for scale reference:

Next up is the head!
kenzo

Postby kevinep3 » Aug 6th, 2015 @ 9:54am

I want to get one for gundam wing (the best gundam) but idk which one I would get.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby LiQuid » Aug 6th, 2015 @ 9:56am

Gundam Wing is for fruits.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 6th, 2015 @ 10:00am

Kenzo, what is a basic set of tools that you think would be needed/useful when building Gunpla?
CrossXhunteR

Postby Jenn04 » Aug 6th, 2015 @ 10:42am

kevinep3 wrote:I want to get one for gundam wing (the best gundam) but idk which one I would get.

Wing Zero Custom, of course!

Epyon is the best tho.

Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Aug 6th, 2015 @ 11:57am

Robots with wings. Still makes me smh after all these years
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 6th, 2015 @ 1:30pm

CrossXhunteR wrote:Kenzo, what is a basic set of tools that you think would be needed/useful when building Gunpla?
I was actually just going to post about this! I think I ended up going overboard on my supplies. For example, I bought a set of official gundam markers, and that was a mistake because I don't think I'll end up using any of them (I assumed one of these was a black marker; should have read the description more closely!). I'm just not up for doing any additional coloring/weathering past adding the black contour lines (which look really good, btw). So, I'd suggest:

• Fine tip black marker - for contour lines
  • Rubbing alcohol & cotton swabs/q-tips for cleaning up those contour lines (get cotton mildly damp, and rub over contour lines lightly so only ink in the crevices remain).
  • Get a stand while you're buying your kit if you have any ambitions of having your Gundam strike a badass pose, and so it doesn't just fall over on your bookshelf. And buying one with your Gundam means saving a bunch of money. Don't buy one after the fact from your LCS where you're having to pay double!
  • Hobby nipper is a must: and probably the only thing you need to go out of your way to buy since you probably don't have one at home. You could just snap most of these pieces out, but a hobby nipper will make the breaks a lot cleaner, and reduce the risk of you breaking a smaller, more delicate pieces.
  • An x-acto knife for shaving down the nubs so you can get a cleaner look.
Maaaaybes:
  • Plastic cement - plastic cement for hobby junk basically melts the plastic to make it bond so you get rid of seams in the plastic. But due to past experience, you can really mess up your model if you use too much on accident - ending up with gross warping and bad textures. And with this Master Grade kit, most of the seams fit really snuggly, and I'm not really seeing a compelling reason atm for me to even try, so I regret buying some. I miiight use some at the end however to smooth out some nubs I didn't do the best job of cutting.
  • Metal file/sandpaper - for further grinding down nubs. I don't know if these are all that necessary. A metal file has been kinda handy for weird shaped nubs that I can't cut down easily. But you risk adding unwanted abrasive scratches to elsewhere on your model.
  • Forceps/tweezers - some of these pieces are really effing small, so you'd think forceps/tweezers would be a good idea for holding and manipulating them and to keep your fingers out of harms way. But I've found that you usually can't get the kind of grip you need to hold it down in order to apply the force necessary with an x-acto knife to do shaving. Just being really careful with your knife has proven enough for me. There was however one instance where the forceps/tweezers proved useful, and that was when applying a small sticker with accuracy. I imagine they'll be useful for applying decals later as well. But again, not 100% necessary IMO.
One thing I did notice Cross, while snooping around on Amazon: MG God Gundam for stupid cheap! ($23)

There's also apparently, a mod attachment for the God Gundam, giving the kit an LED-glowing Burning Finger. How rad is this shit!?!?

Jenn04 wrote:
kevinep3 wrote:I want to get one for gundam wing (the best gundam) but idk which one I would get.
Wing Zero Custom, of course!
Epyon is the best tho.
Obviously, you should get a Gundam Wing kit Kevin, since you have close to no experience with the rest of the franchise and should probably get a kit that you'll have some kind of emotional attachment to. However, I always thought the Wing/Wing-Zero and the Epyon were disappointing/lackluster Gundam designs. What I would suggest is the much superior:

Gundam Deathscythe:

Tallgeese:

Gundam Sandrock:

Gundam Heavyarms:

There's also lots of variations on the Gundam Wing, and not just the Wing-Zero Jenn posted. Like:
Wing Gundam Proto Zero Version:
Image'

So pick the one you think is the coolest! One piece of advice for you Kevin:

These are all Master Grade. They're 1/100 scale, and about an inch or so larger than the next grade down (Real Grade). Master Grade kits are at least double the price of Real Grade kits, but they look soooooo much better. I'm going to always suggest a Master Grade over a Real Grade, because there's no point in being a pussy ever with your Gunpla. Go big or go home. However, there's some really small pieces, and after putting together my Turn-A over the last few days, my fingers are really raw and wrecked, so that might be a problem for you with your situation, if you've ever had problems with things like say, playing a guitar. Also, I would suggest while making one that you probably forego the x-acto knife process as well. I'm precariously close to cutting myself all the time while doing this. Just using a hobby-nipper alone will be good enough, IMO.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Aug 6th, 2015 @ 3:31pm

So, instead of going to sleep last night at a reasonable time, I started fiddling with my Gundam and accidentally made like, half of it!

Here's the core of the head unit:
The inside dome of the Turn-A's head is clear yellow plastic. It's clear yellow 100% because of the eyes. Not shown in this picture is the fact that on the inside (something I almost didn't do because I couldn't understand the directions and later took time to open up my jisho to translate) of the eyes, you're supposed to put a sticker that provides a silver reflective surface so that the eyes can kinda sparkle when light gets shined on them. And the silvery part was the sticky part, so doing it with my fingers was kind of messing up the sticker, and I needed to be using some forceps or tweezers instead.

Little bit more of the head:

Here's the finished head:
It's not actually finished, because there's the Turn-A symbol on its forehead that needs to be pasted on. It's a decal, and I've decided to do all of those last at the end. Although tbh, I could just paint that one in, since there's an indented groove there. Also notice that I didn't fill in any of the grooves with any black contour lines yet. You'll notice how that looks versus later pieces I'll show you were I contoured the lines like this one:

From here on, I wasn't as diligent with taking photos. Here's the right arm completed:
The hand part here was probably the hardest thing I've done to date on this guy. The way it was put together, the keeping the fingers in place and not falling apart before sticking it all together was a nightmare and very frustrating. There is an alternate part where the hand is static and one piece for easy construction. But that removes all the articulation and makes it so the Gundam can't really hold any of its equipment like its gun, shield, or beam sabers. So not building the hands was not an option. Plus, moving individual fingers on this guy is really cool. Also, note the black lines! Turn-A has some of the best contours on any Gundam. Syd Mead's designs are so boss.

Here's the right arm and right shoulder attached to the torso:
Not the yellow part on the top of the torso - I was actually supposed to put that on before but forgot! Putting together gunpla while sleepy is probably a bad idea.

I have one more image to post of the entire upper body put together, but imgur is pooping out on me atm. Will edit post later when imgur is done being a POS.

Edit: Here's the finished upper body:
It's really coming together, guys!!! :D
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Aug 6th, 2015 @ 4:39pm

Quicker than I thought. You're making me want to buy one. Gimme a link to the shop you used.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 6th, 2015 @ 5:07pm

He used Amazon. I believe this is what he ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-WD-M01-Tur ... n+a+gundam
CrossXhunteR

Postby kevinep3 » Aug 6th, 2015 @ 8:04pm

I bought one, we'll see how this goes.
kevinep3

Postby kenzo » Aug 6th, 2015 @ 9:09pm

LiQuid wrote:Quicker than I thought. You're making me want to buy one. Gimme a link to the shop you used.
To be upfront, I spent a lot of hours last night doing building. Like, ~3-4hrs during and after the last TI game? These kits take time, especially if you're trying to make them look nice. If you just slap them together without a care in the world about doing detail work though, I imagine you could do one easy in an afternoon. Otherwise they can take time.

And yeah, what Cross said, I got 'em off of Amazon. Find a reputable seller and a price you're willing to pay. The one I got shipped from Japan, no shipping cost, and the price was pretty reasonable - that link he provided is indeed the one I bought, and IIRC I got from "TOY SHOP JAPAN HOBBYONE". Prices apparently fluctuate on these as well. When I added this kit to my Amazon wishlist, it was like, >$50. Now it costs what you see there. There's also multiple types of the same model so pay attention to the descriptors unless you don't really care. The original RX-78-2 has like, multiple Master Grade versions and revisions, to say nothing of variations like the RX-78-1 prototype, or the RX-78-3, RX-78-4, and RX-78-5. I was thinking of getting a Hyaku Shiki - the badass golden Gundam that Char rides in Zeta. But looking into it, there's two versions - an original one that came out like 15 years ago, and a Version 2 that's updated and better in most ways. The price difference is like, $20. There's also a third version, released ~10 years ago, that's basically just the original kit with a stupid orbital re-entry getup on. But yeah, look at the differences and tell me the new one (center) doesn't look better than the original one (left):

(Right one is a mass-production model based on the Hyaku-Shiki's design - which itself is a prototype)

kevinep3 wrote:I bought one, we'll see how this goes.

Kevin... BUDDY. You can't just say you bought one and not tell us which one you picked!!!
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Aug 6th, 2015 @ 9:18pm

:lol: Fuck it, bought a MG Burning Gundam. I've fallen down the rabbit-hole, folks!
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 7th, 2015 @ 3:11am

I bought one, we'll see how this goes.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kevinep3 » Aug 7th, 2015 @ 5:07am

Oh well deathscythe hell, if I like it sand rock and talgeese are next
kevinep3

Postby Jenn04 » Aug 7th, 2015 @ 12:09pm

Oh god that Tallgeese model is beautifulllllllll - don't tempt meeeeeee
(PS. Rodney, my birthday is soon.)
Jenn04

Postby kenzo » Aug 7th, 2015 @ 3:05pm

CrossXhunteR wrote:I bought one, we'll see how this goes.

kevinep3 wrote:Oh well deathscythe hell

MY NIGGA!!! (my choice for coolest mech in Wing)

Jenn04 wrote:Oh god that Tallgeese model is beautifulllllllll - don't tempt meeeeeee
Dakazu made fun of me pretty hard last night for liking the Tallgeese. But it's amazing, yeah??

And if you like Tallgeese, you might like:

Tallgeese II:

Or maybe Tallgeese III!:

:twisted:

I still like the OG Tallgeese the best
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Aug 7th, 2015 @ 7:02pm

More progress pics!

Last night after dota, I could have done something productive with my life. Instead, I decided to gunpla build all night instead. :lol: I'm almost done, guys!

Beginning of doing the lower-half of the body. Getting the feet made:

Feet complete:

Skeleton of the leg:

Note the black vents there at the top back of the leg. Those are connected to the joints so when you move the Turn-A's legs, the vents pop out. It's totally rad:

Connecting the bottom vents and the ankle joint:

Demonstration of the bottom vents moving around when that joint bends:

Putting the outer casing on the top parts of the legs:

Here's a better angle of the back vents:

Attached the rest of the junk and put the legs together:

Now attaching the legs to the waist-unit:

All done!

God, Turn-A is such a sweet mech. I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. I still have a couple gripes through about certain details. The core-fighter/cockpit is garbo. That transparent dome where the pilot sits is awful. It basically falls off and isn't snap-fit. I hate it. I'm considering just gluing it down because I don't want it to disappear one day.

Here's how the back looks:

I still have a few more pages of building through, so I'm not done yet. All the accessories, equipment, and decal work remains. But the core unit is done, and it's looking fucking SVELTE.
kenzo

Postby Jenn04 » Aug 7th, 2015 @ 9:08pm

Looking great! You're making super fast progress, wow! The plastic is so detailed you don't even really need to paint it!

I was just jokes about Wing Zero and Epyon, they're not as good as the other ones in the series. I asked Rodney to get me the OG Tallgeese but oh man I forgot about how great Tallgeese III is in Endless Waltz. HNNNG! Might just go OG though... or get BOTH(?????)
Jenn04

Postby kenzo » Aug 8th, 2015 @ 2:03am

Thanks, Jenn! I have been painting it... kinda. Doing the black lines. Black lines are hard but they're kinda worth it. I could do shit like battle damage and weathering, but I won't. Especially since this isn't no shitty Zaku, this is the mothereffing Turn-A Gundam! The most powerful mech in the franchise! Even if it were to get damaged, it would repair itself with nanomachines! When ya get one and make it, I expect pics!

Speaking of pics, I finished! 100%! I nearly fucked it all up though with the decals. Turn-A comes with some optional ones, but only really one mandatory decal. I started trying to put on the name-plate decal (that goes on the stand) and then realized late that it was all wrong. I was treating the decal like it was a water slide one, and not a rub-on one. Whoops. This video here cleared a lot of things up and is mandatory viewing IMO:

Anyways, pics! Here's all the finished equipment:

And here's the Turn-A, in a default pose/equipment, with its pilot Loran and Loran's cow for scale:

Turn-A with its Gundam Hammer:

And now some juicy action poses! Here's why we buy a stand.
Bad lighting here but that's because of my TV providing a poor backlight.

Iconic pose of the Turn-A prepping to fire its beam cannon:

Turn-A doing my favorite leap-strike with double beam sabers:

Classic Tomino-pose:

Extremely iconic pose of the Turn-A turning around and leaping towards the future that you can see at the end of both OPs:

All in all, I'm pretty happy with how things turned out. This is definitely a rabbit hole I'm probably going to regret falling down, but IDGAF because I love mechs and I love Gundam and love building shit. My only complaints with this model are:
  • Not gluing leaves this snap-fit model kind of fragile. Which isn't the biggest deal, but while doing a lot of the articulating for those photos, pieces kept falling off and I had to put them back on. Which, isn't a big deal, and if it gets really bad I can just start gluing stubborn pieces on, but yeah.
  • As I've already described, the cockpit is garbageeee
  • Some of this Gundam's movements are a little gimped, but that's mostly just due to design limitations inherent to the Turn-A. those beefy pauldrins mean I can't really get a the guy to raise his arm very high above his head.
  • All the hatches on Turn-A's chest and back are cool but very flimsy and prone to falling off if you move 'em about.

But the only complaint that actually means anything or matters is the fact that the Turn-A didn't come with any attachments to splay out its Moonlight Butterfly. Apparently, this year Bandai released a very limited edition version of this model with Moonlight Butterfly attachments, but I can't get ahold of that without breaking the bank (~$150).

Which is kinda makes me sad, because in a perfect world, I make a bunch of gunpla, and have the Turn-A suspended above all of them engaged in the Moonlight Butterfly attack, and then I just call all the dust accumulating on the ones below nanomachines. :lol: Only I will understand this reference but IDGAF
kenzo

Postby kevinep3 » Aug 8th, 2015 @ 6:06am

Jenn04 wrote:Looking great! You're making super fast progress, wow! The plastic is so detailed you don't even really need to paint it!

I was just jokes about Wing Zero and Epyon, they're not as good as the other ones in the series. I asked Rodney to get me the OG Tallgeese but oh man I forgot about how great Tallgeese III is in Endless Waltz. HNNNG! Might just go OG though... or get BOTH(?????)

I was thinking the same thing, I'd do both as they're both baller and look different enough from each other.

I should be getting mine next week, I will attempt to document progress
kevinep3

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 8th, 2015 @ 8:05am

Next week? My shipping estimates next month for the God Gundam.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Aug 8th, 2015 @ 1:38pm

CrossXhunteR wrote:Next week? My shipping estimates next month for the God Gundam.
You know Kevin doesn't respect his money. He probably paid for real shipping rather than our podunk free shipping.
kenzo

Next
Forum Statistics