Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: Gunpla/Model Kits/Crafts Thread

Postby Rodney » Aug 25th, 2015 @ 8:55am

LiQuid wrote:Rodney, my birthday is coming up...

http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-ZGMF-X20A- ... 00435WX76/

Rodney

Postby LiQuid » Aug 25th, 2015 @ 12:31pm

??????????????????
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 25th, 2015 @ 12:32pm

CrossXhunteR wrote:Wings? On a Gundam?

If all goes well and I fall into a Gundam rabbit hole, I think my next kit after the G-Gundam will be one of the Astray's from Gundam Seed.

Ain't no feathers on those wings, ladyboy. Those wings might as well be swords.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 25th, 2015 @ 12:40pm

One of these two will probably be next after G-Gundam, if I do more. And those things on there backs a literal swords. They turn into giant ass buster swords, along with a few other transformations.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Aug 25th, 2015 @ 4:37pm

Those are some hideous Gundams, Cross.

Work is progressing on the God Gundam. I have both arms & legs done, as well as the waist.

I'm not too happy with how this one is turning out. I don't think this was designed and/or manufactured very well. Parts don't fit nearly as snugly, and the little extra flaps of plastic from the molds are much more pronounced versus my Turn-A. Look at this shit:

Spoiler: show

That's the back of the knee joint. The joint itself doesn't come together as together as it should, expanding the size of the joint, and making it a pain in the butt to articulate and causing everything else to not fit right. The flexy-bits there wouldn't actually flex because of it, and I basically had to jack up a bunch of plastic and brute force it just to get the damned thing to be functional.

A lot of the inking lines too are also ridiculously shallow, to the point that they might as well not even be there. My solution to this issue was to cut my own grooves, but if you look carefully at the first two pictures, there were a couple mistakes I made along the way so the black lines have little errors jutting out that just infuriate me beyond reason.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal because from a foot or more away you won't notice any of it, and it'll look fine. But putting it all together, it's really frustrating. It's still fun to build though.

In other news, got my package in the mail. Ta-dah!

I officially have a problem.

You can't really tell from this picture, but the stand it comes with isn't just clear plastic, but clear plastic that has glitter in it. :lol: This is the best
kenzo

Postby Jenn04 » Aug 26th, 2015 @ 10:25am

Wow, everyone's models are looking sweet! Kevin's Deathscythe turned out great (keep the wings, they're fine). I see some Artemis Fowl books on his shelf too, very nice!

Cross, your room is immaculate. Where's the infamous fan though?

& Kenzo, post your butterfly wings when they're dooooone! (& fluffy kitty is cuuuuuute!)

I've been busy the past several days so I haven't worked on the Tallgeese since my last update. Soon though, soon!
Jenn04

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 26th, 2015 @ 10:40am

The fan is to the left of this picture. I didn't want to take a picture in that direction as I have a mini-fridge with some books stacked on top with some cardboard boxes in a pile next to it. My bed is actually dominated by a pile of comforters and pillows, but those are on the half I don't sleep on. I also noticed you can technically see one of the cats in my picture, beneath my thumb. Bad resolution though.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Sep 1st, 2015 @ 10:57pm

My new favorite thing to do is go to the Gunpla general threads on /m/ and just marvel at what gets made. Look at this custom paint job on an MG Heavyarms:

:o :o

And here, somebody took the Tallgeese and painted it the TV colors:

I need to stop playing videogames and finish my gunpla!
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Sep 1st, 2015 @ 11:19pm

Fuuuuckkkk it. Just bought a MG Zeta 2.0

kenzo

Postby kenzo » Sep 1st, 2015 @ 11:20pm

God, this is such sex

kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Sep 2nd, 2015 @ 5:49am

Have you finished God Gundam and the Butterfly wing attachment yet?
CrossXhunteR

Postby Jenn04 » Sep 2nd, 2015 @ 1:00pm

Wowwww those models ... ;____; Dammit why's airbrushing so hard?
Jenn04

Postby kenzo » Sep 2nd, 2015 @ 1:05pm

CrossXhunteR wrote:Have you finished God Gundam and the Butterfly wing attachment yet?

Nope. Still need to do the decals on the g Gundam and need to do my wings.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Sep 2nd, 2015 @ 2:00pm

Got my G Gundam in today. Beat the delivery estimate of September 3rd through the 25th.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Sep 2nd, 2015 @ 4:15pm

CrossXhunteR wrote:Got my G Gundam in today. Beat the delivery estimate of September 3rd through the 25th.

Now get to building!!!!
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Sep 2nd, 2015 @ 6:37pm

Been meaning to post for a while now.

Here's the finished Burning Gundam.

Well, OK, it's not finished. I'm procrastinating on putting on the decals. I'm still upset with a lot of the model's jank, but it turned out OK. If you blow the picture up, you can see all kinds of fuckups I made. I think it would definitely be improved by a paintjob too. That blue is too dark, especially for an old school anime that typically has washed out colors on TV anyways. I think it could use a 2.0 upgrade the same way a lot of older kits have had. But that'll probably happen as soon as I get a MG G-Self (i.e. fucking never).

Here's the Burning Gundam standing next to my Turn-A:

Fun fact: Burning Gundam is only ~55 feet tall. Turn-A is ~65 feet. (OG RX-78-2 is 59 feet; Wing is 53 feet; Nu Gundam is 75 feet; Unicorn is 65-70 feet; Zeta is 65 feet)
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Sep 3rd, 2015 @ 2:22am

CENTURY COLOR, MILLION COLOR
kenzo

Postby Jenn04 » Sep 3rd, 2015 @ 8:55am

Those turned out awesome! The fuckups are super super minor, I didn't notice any at all until you brought them up, don't worry about them - if you wanted to, you could probably still clean them up with some alcohol & a qtip right? (unless you're sick of it and don't want to touch it anymore haha). Did you do the panel lines on his face? SO CLEAN. Nice work! Where did you get the sticker with the anime's name on it (for your stand?) - my stand came with a sign like that but I can't seem to find a sticker with the Wing / Endless Waltz name anywhere?
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Sep 3rd, 2015 @ 1:44pm

Those butterfly wings are gay af.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Sep 3rd, 2015 @ 5:26pm

Jenn04 wrote:Those turned out awesome! The fuckups are super super minor, I didn't notice any at all until you brought them up, don't worry about them - if you wanted to, you could probably still clean them up with some alcohol & a qtip right? (unless you're sick of it and don't want to touch it anymore haha). Did you do the panel lines on his face? SO CLEAN. Nice work! Where did you get the sticker with the anime's name on it (for your stand?) - my stand came with a sign like that but I can't seem to find a sticker with the Wing / Endless Waltz name anywhere?
So, because the kit here is so shitty, a lot of the grooves to ink the lines are too shallow to hold any ink and you just rub/wash all of it away. So in order to make them look clean, I took an x-acto knife to dig my own lines. Just one single cut produced a grove deep and clean enough that filling that with ink looks pretty good. And it cleans up well too. The problem is that it's super easy to fuck that up and cut your line off-guide on accident, thus the little lines that pop off to the side. And once they're cut, it's hard to NOT get ink in there to make it look ruined. The yellow thing on the top of God Gundam's blue chest thing I botched so fucking bad because I made the mistake of making multiple cuts that don't line up properly. If I alcohol try to rub it out, I rub out too much so it's hard to clean up. My plan - when I get around to it - is to find some masking tape and tape off the sections I want to preserve, leaving only the fuckups to alcohol wipe out of existence. But that'll take time and I wasn't up to it yet. Also, coincidentally, I fucked up the face lines too. There should be a horizontal line below the eyes lining the top of the mouth guard of the Gundam. I haven't carved that yet because I'm terrified of fucking the face up, and there's not even a shallow groove there to provide guidance. I've seen some tutorials to making your own grooves on gundams with more success but I haven't had time to sit down and invest in that yet and to get it right since it seems like it's a lot of work.

As for the name-sticker? That's a rub-on decal that came with my Turn-A. I think all the newer HG Gundams come with such decals?? But my God Gundam didn't. My Turn-A also came with a decal that was just like:

SYSTEM Turn-A-99
Turn-A Gundam

Like a model name and number, and I originally wanted that on my placard. But I fucked up the rub-on decal for that so I just went with the show logo - which works just as well for this since, you know, this is the titular mech for that show.

If you want something like this Jenn, something I've read about online is that a lot of gunpla people do is they print out their own decals. You can buy water-slip decal paper that you can run through a regular inkjet printer. People do that to add details that don't come with the kits, or to fix fuck-ups, or to do wacky customizations. You should look into doing that; getting a Gundam Wing logo, resizing and editing it in photoshop is probably pretty easy, and then you just print it out and water-slip it onto it.

LiQuid wrote:Those butterfly wings are gay af.
Yeah, I know, and it's AMAZING.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Sep 9th, 2015 @ 6:25pm

Did some work on my G-Self today. Did the waist and one of the arms. I'm not being too careful about sanding/filing, only doing it for some really glaring spots. When I work on my God Gundam, I will definitely be more attentive of buffing out the marks. I also haven't done any panel lines yet.
I got stuck on the arm for like 15-30 minutes because I had a piece of it on backwards. This made it impossible to fit one of the pieces of white armor on to the arm frame underneath. I looked at some guys review of the kit and he tore an assembled arm apart. This let me spot my mistake after going through it frame by frame.
The piece of plastic that makes up the neck is bothering me a whole lot, as it doesn't like to sit straight, especially when I move the head around.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Sep 17th, 2015 @ 1:36pm

I got impatient last night waiting for my Zeta and ordered a Master Gundam. The build quality from reviews I've watched online looks similarly janky to the God Gundam (if not more so), but I'll enjoy having 'em square off. I'm also contemplating buying a cheapo HG kit just to experiment with in terms of cement gluing. My Turn-A is somewhat of a 'grenade' (love that term gunpla enthusiasts use) and I'm actually really fretting over the Zeta given how flimsy it'll probably be if I only snapfit it, given how many points of articulation it'll have what with it being transformable.

I came really close to ordering a ZZ Gundam instead. And after watching a review of the MG version of it I think I'll wait off on that one. If my current Gundams are grenades, than the ZZ is a fucking cluster grenade with the pin already pulled out.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Sep 19th, 2015 @ 10:26pm

Where's muh plamo bros and sistahs!? I swear, MGS5 is the worst thing to happen since AIDS.

Guess what came in the mail today!?

It's so biiiiig!!!! I'm about ready to list mgs5 on ebay and just start making this boss-ass mech instead.
kenzo

Postby kevinep3 » Sep 20th, 2015 @ 7:14am

Yeah ive been sitting on sandrock for weeks now but im like, must play video games
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby kenzo » Oct 1st, 2015 @ 5:20pm

MGS5 RESENTMENT INTENSIFYING
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Oct 14th, 2015 @ 10:14pm

MGS5 Ending GET; praise Allah, time for gunpla!

I'm starting with the Master Gundam instead of the Zeta. Mostly because I'm using the Master Gundam as a test-case for some new techniques. In particular, I'm removing seam-lines with plastic cement and just welding pieces together so that my Gundangs aren't grenades (it's super annoying when pieces pop off when you're posing them, or if they fall over on accident).

Here's the contents of the box:

For being a very similar size and sharing a lot of design and parts of the God Gundam, the Master Gundam's box and contents are like, twice as much. A lot of it is the cape thingie I think. Anyways, I wasn't very happy with how the God Gundam turned out with regards to a lot of its pieces/construction, so assuming the Master Gundam would be similar with its flaws (and so far it is) I don't mind messing it up a bit with this experimentation.

I should have took better pics. I spent a decent amount of time trying to sand down some marks and seam lines with some fine grit sanders and polishers. I'm using a nail filler/buffer that wasn't giving me the happiest of results and just ended up looking like a lot of scuff marks. Haven't tried using sanding sponges like the video above does at ~5:30-6:00 mark. But! The plastic cement I've been using is really nice. It's getting a lot of the seams completely filled, and my model feeling a lot sturdier so far. The plastic cement I have is also really thin, so I can kind of use it as a wash over the surface of the plastic to smooth out sanding/shaving of nubs and seamlines so that the whole thing shines like I put a coat of polish on it. I'm a little concerned of the long-term ramifications of this since it leaves the surface kind of glossy/sticky afterwards, and I think that might make it more prone to attracting dust, but w/e. It LOOKS fantastic atm. The only big problem is that using plastic cement, while it dries relatively quickly, it takes several hours for the plastic to 'cure' or set/reharden, so this whole process prolongs the whole production phase of building my Gundam by a lot, and requires some extra planning and equipment. Here's a pic of setting some pieces to cure/dry before their final assembly into the arms of the Master Gundam:

The clothespins or something else is generally a good idea to keep pressure on the pieces so that the seams fit together and stick. Master Gundam though, just like the God Gundam, has pretty inferior engineering, and a number of the pieces don't naturally fit flush against each other like they should, making this whole exercise kind of pointless with those pieces since they won't completely touch and therefore fuse. Still, it's good practice. And if I sat down beforehand and identified the problems of why they aren't fitting right, I could probably do some sanding/shaving to make them fit better.

So I'm almost done with the arms. I should have taken pictures of before sanding, after sanding, and after the plastic cement, but I forgot to. Maybe I will take more pics later if people want to see it.

Another weird side note is that this gundang has some weird runners. Usually a piece is just attached in a way that you snip the runner off at the place where it connects to the part at a 90 degree angle to the surface it connects to. Sometimes that leaves undesirable nubs or marks on surfaces. Good engineering of these kits has those nubs in more invisible spots, but it's not always avoidable. This kit however, has a weird system where you make multiple cuts so that the nub-connection part is more out of the way. This method hasn't been in any of the other kits I've seen, so it clearly mustn't have been very popular/effective. It's kind of confusing honestly because sometimes I shouldn't actually be using this cutting method, so it's hard to tell when and when I shouldn't use this.

kenzo

Postby kevinep3 » Oct 15th, 2015 @ 8:38pm

Will finally be getting around to sandrock this weekend
kevinep3

Postby kenzo » Oct 16th, 2015 @ 6:50pm

Look at all this PROGRESS I'm making now that I don't have to play MGS5!!!

Washing the plastic pieces with plastic cement is giving me mixed results (some parts end up looking a little discolored under direct light), but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Mostly just gotta be liberal with it and coat the surface without brushing too much, since the brush might leave brush strokes.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Oct 17th, 2015 @ 8:59pm

Getting really close to being done!

Got everything glued and assembled. Now it's a matter of touch ups, panel lines, and decals.

There's not a lot of panel lines necessary here, but just going by the manual as a reference for suggested panel lines, this model is a fucking BITCH to do. Like, almost none of the panel lines have grooves to easily paint, so get cucked trying to draw straight lines on flat plastic.

There's huge yellow shapes on the back wings things that need stickers, and that's pretty disappointing. Especially when they could have just used yellow plastic inserts instead. Sasuga early MG kits. I already have the motherfucker mostly assembled, but no pic of that yet; gonna wait until I get the decals down and then it's rad posing time.

I'm also really liking how firm and steady the model is though. The screws, while annoying as fuck, give the joints a lot of firmness so they aren't flimsy. And gluing everything keeps it feeling like something that could actually withstand some abuse versus the grenades I've previously built.
kenzo

Postby kevinep3 » Oct 19th, 2015 @ 2:31pm

Aw shit
kevinep3

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics