Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

The Return of Crystal Pepsi is Upon Us

Postby LiQuid » Dec 8th, 2015 @ 10:35am

LiQuid

Re: The Return of Crystal Pepsi is Upon Us

Postby LiQuid » Dec 8th, 2015 @ 10:39am

This might be the best day of LA Beast's life.

LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Dec 8th, 2015 @ 10:45am

It's sad that people like Liquid make the corporations think this is a good idea.
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Dec 8th, 2015 @ 10:56am

From what I understand it's not going into a wide production run, just a limited thing for people who want to relive that nostalgia. I have had many, many Crystal Pepsis in my life. I used to get them from the corner store on the way home from school in 6th grade. But I couldn't tell you what they tasted like, just that kid me liked it. It could have been terrible for all I know, but I'd be willing to wager it's fine and that most people that hate it, hate it for the fact that it was severely over hyped. If I can get my hands on some I'll try it as an adult and make up my own decision. I don't drink regular soda anymore, but I'll make an exception to try these. I don't see how it could be seen as a bad idea. If your childhood memories of Crystal Pepsi touching you in your private spot is so profound that you can stand the thought of it being reintroduced for people to try again, then sorry, but shut the fuck up.
LiQuid

Postby Rodney » Dec 8th, 2015 @ 3:09pm

https://www.pepsipass.com/

According to Pepsi, it appears to be actually only available as a reward for a contest and only in the US. You have to join their dumb Pepsi points app thing and then maybe win one of 13,000 crystal pepsi 6-packs. This way, they can get the news covering Pepsi without actually having to produce these and get them in stores in any quantity; like the Back to the Future Pepsi Perfect promotion where they just made 2015 of them available. Kinda sad, I did want to try it again.
Rodney

Postby LiQuid » Dec 8th, 2015 @ 3:18pm

It's ok, I'm fairly certain it will get a wider distro eventually. IIRC Pepsi Perfect was just regular ass Pepsi in a fucked up bottle, right? They've actually gone thru the effort of reformulating and producing Crystal Pepsi, so I have to imagine it would be easier for them to get it out. I think they just didn't want to go into a big, dumb, loud relaunch completely, because of bigots like Derpkazu that hate something just because of a pent up, general sentiment in the populace.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Dec 8th, 2015 @ 5:14pm

:lol: what did Crystal Pepsi do for you that makes you anything besides nostalgic? It was a gimmick then and a gimmick now. A shitty one at that.

Remember Pepsi Blue? Also a gimmick and also shit :lol:
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Dec 8th, 2015 @ 5:52pm

Pepsi Blue existed recently enough that I remember clearly what it tasted like and I enjoyed it but understand why it was not universally liked.

Crystal Pepsi was just something fun from my childhood that I would love to be able to try again. I would be just as excited if Hostess rereleased Turtle Pies.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Dec 8th, 2015 @ 6:08pm

I just look up turtle pies and I think I'm gonna vomit. Dat green!!!
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Dec 8th, 2015 @ 6:16pm

It's just icing with food coloring in it dude. Have you ever tasted sugar before?
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Dec 8th, 2015 @ 8:27pm

They need to bring back these next
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Dec 8th, 2015 @ 8:48pm

Yeah, I remember those. I don't know if they offered anything unique over a regular ass ice cream bar. I've been missing the taste of Turtle Pies since I was a kid. That flaky, crusty, green shell with the sugar rush custard on the inside. YUM. Wouldn't be so bad if Hostess hadn't completely abandoned their custard pie line. I've had fruit pies as an adult and it's just not the same. I need that custard!
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Dec 8th, 2015 @ 9:06pm

No the same but you could get these
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Dec 8th, 2015 @ 9:31pm

Not even close to the same thing.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Dec 9th, 2015 @ 1:56pm

LA Beast got some inside scoop that this is eventually going to be made available, either by online order or in-stores, sometime next year!

LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Dec 9th, 2015 @ 2:59pm

I never got to try it but it sounds like it tasted great. Cool to know it's coming next year!
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Dec 9th, 2015 @ 3:31pm

From what I remember I wouldn't call it "great." It's really hard to remember back nearly 25 years, but I remember it tasting like a sweeter version of regular Pepsi, which I already kind of find too sweet in general. But I was a kid at the time and that's probably why I liked it.

I've seen people say they found it citrusy or like they mixed Sprite in with Pepsi, and I don't really remember that at all. I thought it just tasted like weird cola. We will see!
LiQuid

Postby GiantAsianMan » Dec 9th, 2015 @ 6:05pm

It tasted like Pepsi. That's it. It wasn't a different flavored drink; it was just clear Pepsi. It did lack the cola/caramelly aftertaste that would linger with regular Pepsi, but that should be obvious as to why. But the entire gimmick was that it was just Pepsi that was clear. Looked like Sprite. Tasted like cola. End of gimmick.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby kenzo » Dec 9th, 2015 @ 6:13pm

I think that's a pretty good gimmick, IMO. Especially when we know nowadays that the artificial brown coloring in colas is probably carcinogenic.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Dec 9th, 2015 @ 7:35pm

It was pointed out in the GAF thread about this that a the people that remember it having a citrus flavor were thinking about "Cystal" from Pepsi, and not "Crystal Pepsi" which was a totally different drink that was actually citrus flavored. Maybe this is why Crystal Pepsi tanked. Mixed marketing signals. I think Crystal Pepsi could potentially do better if it came out wide again. I'd even consider being a regular drinker depending on what the diet version tasted like. Regular diet Pepsi tastes like ASS tho, so I wouldn't be hopeful.
LiQuid

The Return of Crystal Pepsi is Upon Us

Postby Viasuaddy » Aug 23rd, 2017 @ 6:15am

Nice indeed, and very different

Never seen a Mini auto box before - what is that like?
Viasuaddy

Forum Statistics