Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Journalism Still a Viable Career Choice?

Postby Jaconius » Apr 17th, 2009 @ 6:20pm

Good evening, my intelligent little internet ferrets, i have a question to pose to you all. I have been lining up all of my final highschool courses in order to correspond to a University degree and further career in Journalism, and I am growing a little worried. With magazines and newspapers closing left and right, is there really a viable option left for Journalists like myself? If you need more details, I'm looking more towards music journalism than game journalism and am not adverse to online-only establishments but do prefer actual print journalism. Thanks for your responses.
Jaconius

Re: Journalism Still a Viable Career Choice?

Postby czartim » Apr 18th, 2009 @ 9:56pm

Depends on you're definition of journalism is. According to my definition, journalism died with Murrow.
Thy Czar hath spoken. May his words inspire and thoughts provoke.
czartim

Postby mtcantor » Apr 18th, 2009 @ 10:04pm

Doing something is easy. Finding someone to pay you to do something is much much harder. Its a rough field out there man, especially if you are just starting out and the industry being in so much flux.

Good luck to ya. I would say that it's worth a shot but you will have to go into it 100% and be prepared to do a LOT of work for free to make the right connections, impress the right people, and build on your writing. Don't expect to walk out of school with a Journalism degree get a job like that. Interning somewhere is probably your best bet.
Currently Playing: Heavy Rain, Dragon Age: Origins, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Saints Row 2
Recently finished: Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2,No More Heroes 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders
mtcantor

Postby jinpei05 » May 21st, 2010 @ 7:49pm

czartim wrote:Depends on you're definition of journalism is. According to my definition, journalism died with Murrow.

I would agree with this statement, except for me, sub out Murrow with Cronkite.

Journalism is a tricky profession, to put it lightly. With technology advancing quickly and print media going the way of the dinosaur, the world just wants the facts as quickly as possible, with lesser regard to accuracy. Feature-rich articles that are well written and thoroughly investigated are few and far between.

I wish you nothing but the best of luck, good sir.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Skrattybones » May 25th, 2010 @ 10:03pm

If you live outside America you should get real friendly with the idea of living paycheck to paycheck as a freelancer. It's next to impossible to get a full out job as a journalist outside of the States, and it's next to impossible to get a work permit to work inside the States if you aren't a citizen.
Skrattybones

Postby lemon-fresh » May 26th, 2010 @ 11:31am

If you're looking to get into games journalism I would start freelancing RIGHT NOW!

Bitmob uses a ton of freelancer material.

http://www.bitmob.com/
lemon-fresh

Postby Jaconius » May 26th, 2010 @ 5:16pm

I'm going music or investigative, but thanks for the suggestion anyways!
Jaconius

Postby Belle25 » Oct 2nd, 2016 @ 5:09am

Hello, everybody!
Essay writing required much time and efforts to get awesome results if you're only a fledgling writer but would like to become the best in this field, here is the source compulsory to visit and enhance your knowledge http://bigpaperwriter.com/blog/essay-on-journalism-is
Belle25

Forum Statistics