Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

top 5 albums of 2009

Postby laughingcao » May 27th, 2009 @ 6:21pm

I know we're about half way through the year. But what are your top 5 albums of 2009?

These are in no particular order.

Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

St. Vincent - Actor

Various Artist - Dark was the Night

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart- (self-titled)
laughingcao
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mar 17th, 2009 @ 1:53pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby Sokkratez » May 27th, 2009 @ 6:38pm

K'naan: Troubadour

The Bird and The Bee: Rayguns Are Not Just The Future

Dan Auerbach: Keep It Hid

Art Brut: Art Brut Vs. Satan

Haven't finished listening to the new Green Day or Manson yet, but they're both great so far. Also haven't gotten to the new Method Man yet.
Sokkratez
User avatar
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 9:22pm

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby Callan » May 27th, 2009 @ 9:30pm

So far this year:

Modest Mouse: No One's First and You're Next [leaked]

Random: Happy Ending After All
Sent from my TI-83.
Callan
User avatar
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 10:59am
Location: Midwest Coast

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby indieinsd » May 28th, 2009 @ 12:15am

laughingcao wrote:I know we're about half way through the year. But what are your top 5 albums of 2009?

These are in no particular order.

Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

St. Vincent - Actor

Various Artist - Dark was the Night

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart- (self-titled)


replace St. Vincent with The Thermals - Now we can See, Or DOOM's - Born like this
and we would agree. I don't know if i could put a comp. on a top 5 list but anything that has Sufjan Stevens singing with Buck 65 gets a automatic vote.
indieinsd
User avatar
 
Posts: 1522
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 9:28pm

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby JaguarWong » May 28th, 2009 @ 2:39am

I'm not really sure about albums in particular but the best stuff I've heard this year has come from:

Tame Impala
Tweak Bird
Three Trapped Tigers
Crystal Antlers
La Roux
JaguarWong
User avatar
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Apr 22nd, 2009 @ 12:30am

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby kwoktalk » May 28th, 2009 @ 10:51am

There's a few on people's lists that I still have in my queue to listen to, but here's what mine is currently:

Matt & Kim - Grand
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion
V/A - Dark Was the Night
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
Kelly Clarkson - All I Ever Wanted (Suck on that indie hipsters! :D )
kwoktalk
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Apr 14th, 2009 @ 2:11pm

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby James-Kond » May 28th, 2009 @ 11:55am

Hard one, I love music so give me some think time..

Righto:
1. Franz Ferdinand - Tonight (Played this to absolute dust)
2. Röyksopp - Junior (It's not what I really wanted from Röyksopp, but there is something there, waiting for Senior though)
3. The Horrors - Primary Colours (Whii, something newish under the sun, go more good Joy Division ;p)
4. Passion Pits - Manners (So fresh)
5. Kasabian - The West Rider Pauper Lunatic Asylum (just got leaked, so need to listen some more)

And yeah there is more I've not yet got time to listen to, but I'll backlog some in the near future >.>
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond
User avatar
 
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 1:13pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby DerBonk » May 28th, 2009 @ 2:03pm

Wow, I don't know most of these actually. Just goes to show that I'm nowhere near as much into music as I used to be. I only buy old stuff it seems...I'm loving MC Frontalot's Final Boss at the moment...

So far, there is only one album this year, that I've been listening to again and again:

Jimmy Eat World - Clarity Live

and even that is technically pretty old. I guess I should check out some of the albums in this thread...
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk
User avatar
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mar 11th, 2009 @ 12:11am
Location: Northwestern Germany

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby kwoktalk » May 28th, 2009 @ 2:08pm

DerBonk wrote:So far, there is only one album this year, that I've been listening to again and again:

Jimmy Eat World - Clarity Live

Metric - Fantasies almost made my list and that reminded me a LOT of JEW's Futures album. If you dug that, maybe you should check it out.
kwoktalk
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Apr 14th, 2009 @ 2:11pm

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby DerBonk » May 28th, 2009 @ 2:55pm

I will, thanks a lot! I actually don't like Futures that much, Clarity is still my favorite album period and it is very different from the more recent stuff. Still, I love that band.
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk
User avatar
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mar 11th, 2009 @ 12:11am
Location: Northwestern Germany

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby ReturnOfTheOgre » May 28th, 2009 @ 10:35pm

I will submit for consideration:

Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown

Kanye West: 808's and Heartbreaks (This came out this year, right?)
ReturnOfTheOgre
User avatar
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Mar 19th, 2009 @ 12:17am

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby laughingcao » May 28th, 2009 @ 11:47pm

ReturnOfTheOgre wrote:Kanye West: 808's and Heartbreaks (This came out this year, right?)


Kanye West was late 2008.

indieinsd wrote:replace St. Vincent with The Thermals - Now we can See, Or DOOM's - Born like this
and we would agree. I don't know if i could put a comp. on a top 5 list but anything that has Sufjan Stevens singing with
Buck 65 gets a automatic vote.


Doom - Born Like This is on the bubble for me.
laughingcao
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mar 17th, 2009 @ 1:53pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby James-Kond » May 29th, 2009 @ 7:14am

ReturnOfTheOgre wrote:I will submit for consideration:

Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown

Kanye West: 808's and Heartbreaks (This came out this year, right?)

Oh my god, your taste hurts my brain, and heart.

And you know.. those are two vital organs >.>
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond
User avatar
 
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 1:13pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby ReturnOfTheOgre » May 29th, 2009 @ 10:35am

James-Kond wrote:
ReturnOfTheOgre wrote:I will submit for consideration:

Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown

Kanye West: 808's and Heartbreaks (This came out this year, right?)

Oh my god, your taste hurts my brain, and heart.

And you know.. those are two vital organs >.>


I can justify my selections in two words:

AH, SHADDAP!
ReturnOfTheOgre
User avatar
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Mar 19th, 2009 @ 12:17am

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby James-Kond » May 29th, 2009 @ 4:41pm

ReturnOfTheOgre wrote:
James-Kond wrote:
ReturnOfTheOgre wrote:I will submit for consideration:

Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown

Kanye West: 808's and Heartbreaks (This came out this year, right?)

Oh my god, your taste hurts my brain, and heart.

And you know.. those are two vital organs >.>


I can justify my selections in two words:

AH, SHADDAP!

I mean, that Kanye West album was pretty good, but after listening to all songs 10 times or something it just becomes boring and blend, his previous albums where way better.

Also, come on Green Day? I really couldn't get in to that album and bad lyrics like 'DO YOU KNOW THE ENEMY O.O' isn't what you would say, great.
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond
User avatar
 
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 1:13pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby Info » May 29th, 2009 @ 11:04pm

Shaimus - The Sad Thing Is We Like It Here
Bang Camaro - Bang Camaro II
The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die

I'm also excited for the new 311 album. Hopefully it is not as big a disappointment as the last one, I can't listen to that anything on it. Evolver was still good though, but Transistor and Soundsystem will probably always be my favorites.
Info
User avatar
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Apr 13th, 2009 @ 12:12am

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby Jaconius » May 30th, 2009 @ 4:41pm

Well, since 2009 isn't over yet, i will pre-emptively put some onto my list:

1) Queens of the Stone Age - Queens of the Stone Age (RE-RELEASES COUNT, DAMN IT)
2) Horehound - The Dead Weather
3) 200 Million Thousand - The Black Lips
4) Together Through Life - Bob Dylan
5) Keep It Hid - Dan Auerbach
Jaconius
User avatar
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 9:25pm
Location: Paradise

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby laughingcao » May 30th, 2009 @ 11:38pm

Jaconius wrote:1) Queens of the Stone Age - Queens of the Stone Age (RE-RELEASES COUNT, DAMN IT)


I don't think so. If so I would add Radiohead - OK Computer
Plus it feels like there's a bunch of classic albums re-released this year.
laughingcao
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mar 17th, 2009 @ 1:53pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby Jaconius » May 31st, 2009 @ 5:48pm

I suppose so, but i feel like the QOTSA disc is special because it had a very limited release. I found my sister's really old bootleg and ripped that.

Yay for piracy.
Jaconius
User avatar
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 9:25pm
Location: Paradise

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby HurricaneDean » May 31st, 2009 @ 7:24pm

MxPx - On The Cover II
New Found Glory - Not Without a Fight
Asher Roth - Asleep in the Bread Aisle
AFI - Crash Love (coming in August, will be making this list)

There's really not much. I don't listen to a lot of mainstream music, most of it is local, or it's from last year and back. I need to get back into the swing of things.
Thanks to The Geekbox, I have cured my addiction to gaming. I now have an addiction to comics. And Lost. =/
HurricaneDean
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Mar 19th, 2009 @ 7:58pm

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby Duke_Of_Havoc » Jun 1st, 2009 @ 1:49pm

Only 1 album for me this year:

The 3rd coming of the Arctic Monkeys :)

They are working with Josh Homme from QOTSA. I cannot wait for this. Arctic Monkeys are pound for pound one the best bands in the world at the moment. Alex Turners lyrics are incredible for a guy barely in his 20s and the riffs are just sublime.
Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.
Duke_Of_Havoc
User avatar
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Mar 17th, 2009 @ 1:35pm
Location: Kent, UK

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby James-Kond » Jun 1st, 2009 @ 3:26pm

Duke_Of_Havoc wrote:Only 1 album for me this year:

The 3rd coming of the Arctic Monkeys :)

They are working with Josh Homme from QOTSA. I cannot wait for this. Arctic Monkeys are pound for pound one the best bands in the world at the moment. Alex Turners lyrics are incredible for a guy barely in his 20s and the riffs are just sublime.

My friend have to agree that Arctic Monkeys is my favourite band ever, but we havn't heard that much from the new album (live stuff, blegh) and Crying Lightning and stuff sound a lot more Punk/Rock-ish than the more 'Jazzy' Rock that I loved in When The Sun Goes Down and 505. But yeah, I hope it's good, but calling it your top album of 2009 is a bit silly
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond
User avatar
 
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 1:13pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby Peatron » Jun 8th, 2009 @ 9:13am

Pins and Panzers by Plushgun is definitely one of the best albums so far this year.
Peatron
User avatar
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Apr 7th, 2009 @ 12:58am
Location: Mountain View Ca

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby Duke_Of_Havoc » Jun 8th, 2009 @ 12:42pm

James-Kond wrote:
Duke_Of_Havoc wrote:Only 1 album for me this year:

The 3rd coming of the Arctic Monkeys :)

They are working with Josh Homme from QOTSA. I cannot wait for this. Arctic Monkeys are pound for pound one the best bands in the world at the moment. Alex Turners lyrics are incredible for a guy barely in his 20s and the riffs are just sublime.

My friend have to agree that Arctic Monkeys is my favourite band ever, but we havn't heard that much from the new album (live stuff, blegh) and Crying Lightning and stuff sound a lot more Punk/Rock-ish than the more 'Jazzy' Rock that I loved in When The Sun Goes Down and 505. But yeah, I hope it's good, but calling it your top album of 2009 is a bit silly



How so? I love the band and feel this will be my favourite album this year.
Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.
Duke_Of_Havoc
User avatar
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Mar 17th, 2009 @ 1:35pm
Location: Kent, UK

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby tseudo » Jun 8th, 2009 @ 6:07pm

How so? Because it could be absolutely shite. The CD could be entirely comprised of badly-played flute pieces.

I'd say Veckatimest is number 1 for me so far, Merriweather Post Pavilion second. I guarantee that this will change rapidly over the course of the year so I'm not going to list 5 albums. It's far too early to judge.
Freeing excellence affects reality
http://www.last.fm/user/maidenforce
tseudo
User avatar
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mar 15th, 2009 @ 8:32am

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby PantslessJedi » Jun 19th, 2009 @ 4:12am

c'mon, no love for The Lonely Island's album: Incredibad?
PantslessJedi
User avatar
 
Posts: 688
Joined: May 28th, 2009 @ 6:08pm

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby kwoktalk » Jun 22nd, 2009 @ 6:54am

PantslessJedi wrote:c'mon, no love for The Lonely Island's album: Incredibad?

It's a bit uneven for me. Also, it didn't really come to mind since we've heard a lot of the songs released over the past few years. But still a fun pickup.
kwoktalk
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Apr 14th, 2009 @ 2:11pm

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby Duke_Of_Havoc » Jun 26th, 2009 @ 5:18am

tseudo wrote:How so? Because it could be absolutely shite. The CD could be entirely comprised of badly-played flute pieces.

I'd say Veckatimest is number 1 for me so far, Merriweather Post Pavilion second. I guarantee that this will change rapidly over the course of the year so I'm not going to list 5 albums. It's far too early to judge.



Meh I have total faith in the boys. They wont release it unless its good. They have interest in pandering to the record labels.

Still think its gonna be a belter so Im reserving a space for it as my favourite album
Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.
Duke_Of_Havoc
User avatar
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Mar 17th, 2009 @ 1:35pm
Location: Kent, UK

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby sgjackson » Jun 26th, 2009 @ 10:34am

Speaking from a metal fan's perspective -

1. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
2. Mantic Ritual - The Executioner
3. Horrific - Your Worst Nightmare
4. Kreator - Hordes of Chaos

Haven't heard anything else that sticks out yet. I've heard bits and pieces of the new Napalm Death, which was pretty good.
sgjackson
User avatar
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Jun 22nd, 2009 @ 12:15am

Re: top 5 albums of 2009

Postby TheNinjaShrink » Jul 15th, 2009 @ 6:45pm

Man... tough stuff, as I usually discover bands that I love after they have disbanded and gone their seperate ways (Dispatch) Hmmm...

Psychositck - Sandwich (hehehe =D)
The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love
State Radio - oh.... wait.....
Motion City Soundtr.....
Ezra Furma....

.....

I'll get back to you on the rest....
TheNinjaShrink
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Jul 13th, 2009 @ 12:06pm

Next
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dasearert, Rooffuncoorp and 16 guests

Options

Return to Other Geekery

cron