Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: What Anime are you currently watching?

Postby LiQuid » Jan 3rd, 2016 @ 3:03pm

I could name at least 1 TV show that does not have jiggly tits and naked asses. Can you even name one anime?
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jan 3rd, 2016 @ 3:28pm

Sure.
CrossXhunteR

Postby dakazu » Jan 4th, 2016 @ 2:13pm

Ajin combines 3x3 eyes immortals with Jojo stands. Manga is pretty good. Too bad it's gonna be 3D.

Dagashi Kashi is good but it's all about Japanese candy so I doubt haoles will understand any of the jokes.
dakazu

Postby Konanda » Jan 4th, 2016 @ 4:51pm

Hating on P.A. Works for no reason, liking what is probably shitty otome game adaptation level anime by Studio Deen, hates on Studio Deen for one show doesn't hate on them for another.

?

I kind of want to see that P.A. Works show but it sort of sounds like Tari Tari but with a childhood friend duo at the beginning starting the club instead, which Tari Tari was a fun show but I already saw it.

Also watched this yesterday, it was funny and super absurd, which given its supposed to be a surreal, Dadaist interpretation of school life I suppose that is the point.

Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Jan 10th, 2016 @ 3:07am

Konanda wrote:Hating on P.A. Works for no reason, liking what is probably shitty otome game adaptation level anime by Studio Deen, hates on Studio Deen for one show doesn't hate on them for another.

First off, it's not for no reason. I don't know if you've noticed but PA Works has an MO it typically goes by, and their shows are typically are the kinds I greatly dislike. They make shows very much along the same lines as Kyoto Animation, featuring a similar look and focusing on the kinds of stories and characters I find boring.

It's not always that way; there's always room for statistical outliers and exceptions. One of my favorite shows in recent memory, The Eccentric Family, was a PA Works show. But their overriding trend is that I can pretty safely ignore what they put out from season to season.

As for hating/not hating on Studio DEEN... I didn't red-list any show for being DEEN iirc. It's just something that gives me pause. The other show however that "I didn't hate on for being DEEN" - watch this season's Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. It's by DEEN. And if the rest of this show is reflective of this first episode, we might have an AOTY on our hands. I don't want to potentially oversell it by lavishing too much praise because that tends to get ppl irrationally upset and turned off of a show. But that first episode was riveting and enthralling in ways that's rare in anime. This is the one, single show I want people to watch this season. If I could, I'd make everyone. I'd trade hostages or buy u dota hats or whatever. I just want ppl to talk to about this because it's so gud.

kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jan 10th, 2016 @ 5:33am

Do you know how many episodes it is going to be?
CrossXhunteR

Postby Konanda » Jan 11th, 2016 @ 6:14am

I mean shows like Cannan, Another, Red Data Girl and Angel Beats aren't really like KyoAni and that's about 1/3rd of the shows they've produced. Or are you including stuff that PA Works has partial credits on like Darker Than Black, Mushishi or Eureka Seven.

Or is it all those Layton Games they have partial credit on or that Layton movie they produced that turns you off.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby dakazu » Jan 15th, 2016 @ 2:27am

New season of Ansatsu Kyoshitsu is fucking insane. They've doing 3 storylines per episode. Shit isn't light speed, it's fucking plaid.

Dagashi is done real well but they have to combine chapters as well. It isn't really light speed because chapters in that manga are about 5 pages but I thought the 2 episodes I saw strung the stories together weakly.
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Jan 16th, 2016 @ 4:03am

I tried. I really did. But I can't.

Polygon Pictures is pure shit. Ajin looks like ass and the upcoming BLAME! movie will also be ass.

Fuck everything.
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Jan 16th, 2016 @ 4:50am

kenzo wrote:As for hating/not hating on Studio DEEN... I didn't red-list any show for being DEEN iirc. It's just something that gives me pause. The other show however that "I didn't hate on for being DEEN" - watch this season's Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. It's by DEEN. And if the rest of this show is reflective of this first episode, we might have an AOTY on our hands. I don't want to potentially oversell it by lavishing too much praise because that tends to get ppl irrationally upset and turned off of a show. But that first episode was riveting and enthralling in ways that's rare in anime. This is the one, single show I want people to watch this season. If I could, I'd make everyone. I'd trade hostages or buy u dota hats or whatever. I just want ppl to talk to about this because it's so gud.

Really? This show?

This show's problem is that it's Rakugo and Rakugo is boring and unfunny. It's not funny, like, at all. They have some good voice actors on this show but they're wasted because they're doing Rakugo.

BTW- It's INCREDIBLY unbelievable that the main character would be allowed to perform on stage in episode 1 because Rakugoka have super strict rules about moving up ranks and studying and working as underlings for senior members. You shouldn't even be allowed to perform unless you earn your stage name.
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Jan 16th, 2016 @ 5:37am

dakazu wrote:This show's problem is that it's Rakugo and Rakugo is boring and unfunny. It's not funny, like, at all. They have some good voice actors on this show but they're wasted because they're doing Rakugo.

BTW- It's INCREDIBLY unbelievable that the main character would be allowed to perform on stage in episode 1 because Rakugoka have super strict rules about moving up ranks and studying and working as underlings for senior members. You shouldn't even be allowed to perform unless you earn your stage name.
Did you actually watch the first episode? I can't really tell based on what you wrote here. If you did and didn't like the first episode, then that's really all I can ask of you and we just have different tastes. If you didn't watch it, then I dunno man, it kinda sounds to me like you're inventing excuses to hate it before you watch it.

I don't really want to bother you too much or get into lecture mode either. But I will say, I have zero appreciation for Rakugo, and don't find it funny or anything like you. But the show is magical to me, not because it's presenting the epitome of this obscure art-form or anything. But because it's a really good human drama, and the Rakugo is just kind of the setting for which everything happens. That and, even if I can't appreciate the craft of the characters, I can appreciate the trials, the tribulations, the drama, and the joy surrounding performing artists who are very involved in their art. I thought you'd appreciate that too, considering your background.

And as for your nitpick about it being unrealistic...
Spoiler: show
...the show knows this. The MC is doing performances way before he should for a reason - because his 'master' has no intention of actually teaching him, and he is throwing him to the wolves for several complicated reasons including his own petty amusement, and a weird sense of charity brought on by deep-seated guilt/shame.

Konanda wrote:I mean shows like Cannan, Another, Red Data Girl and Angel Beats aren't really like KyoAni and that's about 1/3rd of the shows they've produced.
You listed four shows that I didn't like/don't care for. Meanwhile other shows of theirs like Hanasaku Iroha, Tari Tari, Glasslip, Charlotte, and this season's Haruchika are all KyoAni shows with the serial numbers filed off. If you like the studio, good for you, but I've found through my own experience that by and large they make shows that I don't like. I obviously wouldn't blindly turn down anything made by them, because if I did, I wouldn't have watched the Eccentric Family (which was easily a top3; maybe best show of 2013) but knowing something is made by them sends up huge red flags that usually get validated.

Konanda wrote:Or are you including stuff that PA Works has partial credits on like Darker Than Black, Mushishi or Eureka Seven.
Nobody ever counts 'partial credits' for a studio. That just means they got some shitty and/or small part of production outsourced to some of their freelancers, while having zero input on the creative or managerial side of things where it matters.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jan 17th, 2016 @ 4:46pm

Finished Zeta Gundam.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Jan 29th, 2016 @ 5:45am

I wish people were watching Boku Dake ga Inai Machi so I could talk to people about it.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Feb 22nd, 2016 @ 2:12am

I just watched a movie called "Miss Hokusai". 9.5/10 at the very least.
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Feb 24th, 2016 @ 3:21pm

Man anime is boring right now. Another whole month til we get some decent shows again.
dakazu

Postby CrossXhunteR » Feb 24th, 2016 @ 4:32pm

Funny. I bet Kenzo would disagree.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Feb 24th, 2016 @ 7:23pm

Kinda agree, kinda disagree. I'm watching like 20 currently airing shows, which is more than last season. Most of them I wouldn't recommend any of you guys watching. Only like 4 or 5 am I really enjoying with no reservations or hints of irony. And next season looks loaded with a lot of really good shows. For my standards, that's not exactly a great season, but it's not a dreadful one either.

But that said, Dakazu only ever watches like 4 or 5 shows max at any given time; so there being 4-5 good shows to watch should be enough for him. But Dakazu, being Dakazu, won't give a number of these a real shot to begin with. He also reads the manga to a lot of these, so skipping the adaptation is a little more understandable. He's also, no offense or anything, a lot less open minded when it comes to his preferences, sticking to genres and archetypes he knows he likes, where as I make it a point to go out of my way to watch things I don't think I'll like, and I just generally enjoy a wider variety of genres.

So yeah, to each their own. A little breakdown of what I'm watching atm and generally how I feel about it:

Legit amazing; highly recommended:
  • Snow White w/ the Red Hair S2
  • Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
  • Osomatsu-san
  • Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Pretty good with some caveats:
  • AssClass S2
  • Dimension W
  • Ojisan to Marshmallow

I'm enjoying despite the caveats:
  • Active Raid
  • Dagashi Kashi
  • Durarara!!x2 Ketsu
  • Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
  • Oshiete! Galko-chan
  • Phantasy Star Online 2
  • Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen

Kinda bad but I'm still watching:
  • Garo: Guren no Tsuki
  • Gintama
  • World Trigger

It's shiiiiiiiiiiiit:
  • Musaigen no Phantom World
  • Shojo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

I'm pretty sure there's at least 4-5 shows here that Dakazu would enjoy if he gave them a chance. But I know there will be tons of things he'll enjoy next season.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Mar 8th, 2016 @ 6:57am

Only 4 more episodes of G Gundam left. It's been so long that a lot of this feels like I'm watching it for the first time, but there's still a ton of nostalgia making everything even better. There's some rough edges and problematic parts, and I feel like the story was probably just made up as the show went on (or at least, at the halfway point they sat down and reevaluated the direction things were going in). But man is this top Gundam. I only wish IBO had a quarter as much heart.

I might take a break from my trek thru Gundam after this. In not getting fatigued per say, but I'm worried I might be. If I continue, I'll either tackle X or GBF while simultaneously watching Wing. But I kinda want to go after some backlog too.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Mar 9th, 2016 @ 4:35am

The last time I utterly adored an anime like I adore Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, was The Eccentric Family. And before that, The Tatami Galaxy. Everything about it is amazing.
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Mar 11th, 2016 @ 3:12am

Blood orphans has been real bad but what should I have expected from a Gundam show?

TV in general is kinda shit on all fronts right now
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Mar 11th, 2016 @ 4:45am

dakazu wrote:Blood orphans has been real bad but what should I have expected from a Gundam show?

TV in general is kinda shit on all fronts right now
Agree about IBO. Disagree about Gundam in general, but agree if you apply it generally to AU Gundams. Agree about TV in general. Disagree about the implications that has on anime. The two best shows of this season you refuse to watch b/c you read the comics already. :lol:

Tell me you're watching AssClass at least? It's still bretty gud. So is Lupin III (not great, but good). So is Snow White w/ Red Hair, but you don't like shojo or Bones. Active Raid is pretty OK. It's like a poor man's Patlabor with Tiger & Bunny exosuits. Dimension W is pretty OK. I'm actually enjoying Durarara!! shockingly. Osomatsu-San is still boss. Anime is pretty OK right now.

The great thing about anime, and TV in general, is that even if there's nothing but shit on ATM, there's still TONS of good old stuff you can catch up on. Now that I finished my travels thru G Gundam and City Hunter, my newest backlog tackles are Dirty Pair, Tetsuwan Birdy, and Gundam Build Fighters.

Lots going on next season. I can't see any single show challenging Rakugo Shinjuu as king, but the overall quality of shows looks like it'll probably rise.
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Mar 12th, 2016 @ 1:26am

Tetsuwan Birdy was Masami Yuki's take on Green Lantern Corps and it got WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too political(like most of his manga).
dakazu

Postby Jenn04 » Mar 16th, 2016 @ 12:41am

Marathoned PSO2: The Animation tonight from episodes 2 to 9, so I'm all caught up. Thanks kenzo for watching the last few at the same time and writing hilarious posts in Discord! Man, Itsuki's such a knob. I just want my PSO2 character to punch him in the mouth. I love this show though - and all the characters - even though it's goofy and dumb. Then again, through thick and thin (looking at you, Universe), I've always loved Phantasy Star.
Jenn04

Postby Jenn04 » Mar 16th, 2016 @ 6:08pm

Jenn04 wrote:I just want my PSO2 character to punch him in the mouth.

Jenn04

Postby Jenn04 » Mar 16th, 2016 @ 6:32pm

Probably going to marathon another anime tomorrow. Rakugo? Rakugo!
Jenn04

Postby CrossXhunteR » Mar 16th, 2016 @ 8:03pm

I hear it's a good show. I'll probably end up watching it when it's finished and I complete ZZ.

28 episodes of ZZ down. I like the show much more now than the early bits of it.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Mar 17th, 2016 @ 3:03am

dakazu wrote:Tetsuwan Birdy was Masami Yuki's take on Green Lantern Corps and it got WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too political(like most of his manga).
I'm curious which one you read? If I'm reading things right, he made an original Tetsuwan Birdy comic, and then a remake comic like a decade later?

The 90s OVA was actually spectacular. It wasn't deep or all that unique or anything. But it's short, concise, and maaaaannn that's some really good animation. Like, fuuuuckkkkk. I can see why the OVA was a cult classic, it's just damned gorgeous. And no 3DPD either, just beautiful beautiful hand drawn cells. I really wish they'd do a bluray remaster. I don't know how far the comic goes, but the politics in the OVA don't go very deep at all. At most, they make reference to Unit 731 and its human experimentation during WWII, which had me flabbergasted since that's not something most anime would ever have the balls to touch upon, so that was fairly welcome.

I started up a few episodes of the 2008 anime show. What I've read is that the animation in this show was awful, but they probably cleaned up a lot for the DVD releases because things look OK. So far, the story is pretty jarring with the differences. There's a lot of changes from the OVA in ways that aren't necessarily bad, but just different. Lots of little details added that pad out the story more and fill in little plot holes or satiate lots of questions the original didn't bother to address (like there being a good reason why Tsutomu and Birdy talk out loud to each other). Some changes I don't like though. For example, they deus ex machina the parents out of the picture almost immediately, when their reactions to Tsutomu's weird behaviors was a great source of comedy in the OVA, and they always provided a grounded perspective to measure Birdy's crazy hijinks against.

Overall, it's pretty decent but not amazing. Tsutomu is right out of the Shinji Ikari/Amuro Ray book of reluctant protagonists who whine an inordinate amount. But he nuts up when it's necessary and shows character growth so it's all good. And Birdy is a delightful character. Her space spandex is a little unfortunate, but she's otherwise a real fun, interesting, and empowered character.

Jenn04 wrote:Marathoned PSO2: The Animation tonight from episodes 2 to 9, so I'm all caught up. Thanks kenzo for watching the last few at the same time and writing hilarious posts in Discord! Man, Itsuki's such a knob. I just want my PSO2 character to punch him in the mouth. I love this show though - and all the characters - even though it's goofy and dumb. Then again, through thick and thin (looking at you, Universe), I've always loved Phantasy Star.
PSO2 started out as a guilty pleasure, and I've grown to legitimately like it. It's generic as fuck, and the story is stupid. But the way its tying into the game is neat, and it's a better 'game adaption' than the vast majority of those out there. Characters are a lot of fun too, even if they're rather cliched. I think liking Phantasy Star helps the enjoyment a lot. If this show was for Elder Scrolls Online I would have probably quit it weeks ago. Also, PREZ IS A CUTE.

Rakugo is my runaway AotS. I actually am super envious of anyone who gets to marathon this show, because waiting week after week has been painful. Especially when the show flows so well into each episode and it's super easy to lose all track of time watching b/c it's so enthralling. If you gonna give up on Rodney watching it, go for it. If not, there's other things worth watching that came out in the last season or two. Erased is so far a pretty good dramatic thriller revolving around murder mysteries. It's probably the most popular show among weebs this season. One Punch Man is a good action show, it was the most popular show among weebs last season. Osomatsu-san is good if you're looking for laughs, it's the most popular show among Japanese otaku. And Snow White with the Red Hair is a really heartwarming romance show, it's the most popular show in my heart.

CrossXhunteR wrote:I hear it's a good show. I'll probably end up watching it when it's finished and I complete ZZ.

28 episodes of ZZ down. I like the show much more now than the early bits of it.
I think a younger me, who was obsessed with 'Serious Gundam' like Zeta, CCA, and 0083 would have preferred the back-end of ZZ. But the older me has enjoyed the more lighthearted pace of the first half. It really feels like a good trial run for G, Turn-A, and G-Reco, and I think I lean more towards those now. As for you at episode 28

How about those episode titles, "Leina's Blood" :lol:. Things were getting more serious in the episodes leading up to that two-parter, but Leina's Blood is the point of no return for ZZ into the depths of despair. Also, now we can finally talk about this!

How do you feel about that, Cross?
kenzo

Postby Jenn04 » Mar 17th, 2016 @ 10:40am

Good point - I reaaaaallly want Rodney to watch Rakugo. I'll watch OPM then, since he didn't seem to enjoy the first episode.
It's pretty likely I might just play Black Nyack tonight instead, though. Haha!
Jenn04

Postby Jenn04 » Mar 19th, 2016 @ 12:04am

PSO2:TA is only going to be 12 episodes, right? Damn, I want this wacky ride to last a bit longer. :( Episode 10 was good - but it's a little obvious what's going to happen now. Well, except for Rina and Itsuki hooking up at the end (aka Kenzo's desired outcome ha)! I hope they do what you mentioned before kenzo; cliffhanger ending in the anime but real ending in the game. That'd be so good!

Since Rina also turned into her character irl like Itsuki - does that mean possibly the rest of the cast will too at some point? That's pretty cool!
Jenn04

Postby kenzo » Mar 31st, 2016 @ 3:12am

This is a buffer post so that the next one doesn't get lost on the last post of a page.

So that there's still something of substance in this post, even though nobody will read it:

I've been watching Tetsuwan Birdy: Decode. It's simultaneously better and worse than the OVA. World, characters, and cast are more fleshed out, which is better. Production values are infinitely worse. The villains are less interesting, and the characterization is somehow less impressive versus the shorter OVA. New characters are almost all disposable. Natsumi Hayamiya is almost completely shoved to the side and relegated in a sad way. Birdy is still amazing. Tsutomu is less of a jobber, yet somehow far more boring. The parents/immediate family are immediately disposed of in the plot, which is regrettable because they're a great source of humor in the OVA. There's much more alien shenanigans going on. I'm not finding it overly political either. I like Birdy.
kenzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics