Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

What Anime are you currently watching?

Postby G-Nitro » Jun 13th, 2009 @ 11:23pm

I check through the pages and didn't see any topics yet on anime. So I figured I would start a topic to see what people around the boards have been watching as of late.

I'm currently watching K-On! (This is almost as good as Lucky Star to me), Lucky Star (so many times through now), Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Strike Witches, and about to start watching Kannagi, Certain Magical Index and Toradora.
G-Nitro

Re: What Anime are you currently watching?

Postby indieinsd » Jun 13th, 2009 @ 11:44pm

Just started Samurai 7 on Blu-ray.

Not a big anime fan, Avatar is really the only series I have ever watched.
indieinsd

Postby Clint » Jun 14th, 2009 @ 2:17am

Just finished watching 'Full Metal Panic' and just starting on 'Burst Angel' and 'Mnemosyne'. Also I have my usually weekly 'Bleach' and 'Full Metal Alchemist'. :)
Clint

Postby Michael Betts » Jun 14th, 2009 @ 8:17am

My fiance and I just worked our way through Ergo Proxy. I'm in love with it. It did the post-apocalyptic story so well for me I almost feel like other post-apocalyptic anime are redundant now. Not sure if it's considered that great in wider circles, but I love it :P
Stupazing.
Michael Betts

Postby James-Kond » Jun 14th, 2009 @ 4:11pm

Eden of the East and the new Full Metal Alchemist =D
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond

Postby Rosered » Jun 14th, 2009 @ 5:45pm

I've been watching Ristorante Paradiso on crunchyroll as that updates: http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Ristorante_Paradiso

The Wakfu cartoon (yeah, I know it's not technically anime, but it's pretty rad): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMT02Gt0teg

I'm going to check out a few episodes of Basquash later tonight: http://basquash.com/

And I've been re-watching Avatar the Last Airbender and Lupin III Part II lately!
Rosered

Postby Sokkratez » Jun 14th, 2009 @ 6:26pm

I took a long break. Was going to get into some shows in Fall 08's season, but I fell off. Not sure what ended up being good from that season.

But I did just start watching Red Garden, had meant to for a long time.
Sokkratez

Postby kenzo » Jun 15th, 2009 @ 4:19am

James-Kond wrote:Eden of the East and the new Full Metal Alchemist =D

I've been watching both of these. Eden of the East is one of those shows that is very interesting, but somewhat painful to watch because of its cultural ignorance. The story is so focused on the problems 'plaguing' Japanese society that aside from the first episode, it all but ignores that the world exists outside of Japan. Yea, Japan has issues, but it's still after all these years of stagnancy the #2 economy, and most everywhere else in the world has more than its fair share of problems by comparison. Another problem: I can follow the topics the show chooses to highlight like population pressures, NEETs, cultural malaise, not having the manpower or money to take care of the aging population, etc - but the average American anime-fan watching the show doesn't know jack about Japanese socioeconomics. The new FMA is so far a boring retread. I can't wait until it gets to the diverging point between the first anime and the manga.

Rosered wrote:I've been watching Ristorante Paradiso on crunchyroll as that updates: http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Ristorante_Paradiso

The Wakfu cartoon (yeah, I know it's not technically anime, but it's pretty rad): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMT02Gt0teg

I'm going to check out a few episodes of Basquash later tonight: http://basquash.com/

And I've been re-watching Avatar the Last Airbender and Lupin III Part II lately!

Ristorante Paradiso looks so interesting! It's next on my queue! I'm not convinced Avatar is anime, though it's a great show and definitely does it's best to emulate it. I wish someone out there would bother translating the rest of Lupin III part II. Lupin is one of my all-time favorites. I've been catching up on the dozens of Lupin films lately.

The biggies I've been watching lately are:
The before mentioned FMA & Eden of the East.
Hajime no Ippo: I love boxing, and I loved the first show. This one is... alright.
Future Boy Conan: Early Miyazaki has proven to be win so far!
Valkyria Chronicles: Loved the game so much I got trapped into watching the anime...
The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi: S1 was so good... lets see if they can repeat the magic with season 2...
kenzo

Postby G-Nitro » Jun 15th, 2009 @ 6:42am

Sounds like I will have to check otu Eden of the East and Ergo Proxy. My backlog for anime is huge tho. Spent a lot of money recently on a Rightstuf.com blowout sale. lol

Valkyria Chronicles is definitely one of the next I will watch.

As for Haruhi season 2, I am waiting for it to finish airing before watching, as they have decided to throw episodes in between episodes from Season 1. Which is extremely odd, and makes it hard to keep up with season 2 without rewatching all together.

If you like Haruhi or Lucky Star, I highly recommend watching K-On! I have absolutely fallen in love with that anime and Mio-Chan is pure win. :D
G-Nitro

Postby James-Kond » Jun 15th, 2009 @ 9:18am

kenzo wrote:
James-Kond wrote:Eden of the East and the new Full Metal Alchemist =D

I've been watching both of these. Eden of the East is one of those shows that is very interesting, but somewhat painful to watch because of its cultural ignorance. The story is so focused on the problems 'plaguing' Japanese society that aside from the first episode, it all but ignores that the world exists outside of Japan. Yea, Japan has issues, but it's still after all these years of stagnancy the #2 economy, and most everywhere else in the world has more than its fair share of problems by comparison. Another problem: I can follow the topics the show chooses to highlight like population pressures, NEETs, cultural malaise, not having the manpower or money to take care of the aging population, etc - but the average American anime-fan watching the show doesn't know jack about Japanese socioeconomics.

Eden of the East kills of more and more braincells everytime I look an episode. However the story is nice enough to go trough the bizarre other stuff. Kind of had to lol at the last episode where the subber ended with: 'Need = Zombie!?', hehe

kenzo wrote:he new FMA is so far a boring retread. I can't wait until it gets to the diverging point between the first anime and the manga.

Those new intros and outros kickass though :P, also the story is going at light speed, so we'll get new stuff sooner than later, also what I noticed is that there still making Manga's for FMA, the latest being in April 2009 O.o, so actually this new FMA can go on forever, yay n_n
James-Kond

Postby kenzo » Jun 15th, 2009 @ 4:06pm

James-Kond wrote:Those new intros and outros kickass though :P, also the story is going at light speed, so we'll get new stuff sooner than later, also what I noticed is that there still making Manga's for FMA, the latest being in April 2009 O.o, so actually this new FMA can go on forever, yay n_n

Nothanks.jpg
The original FMA show did the Bleach/Naruto thing of catching up to where the manga was. I liked that their approach to it was creating their own plot instead of loading up on needless and brain-destroying filler like in Bleach/Naruto. Both of those two shows are disgusting these days. Endless manga might be good for manga sales, but it makes me sad as an anime watcher. I don't want to read 300 chapters of Ranma 1/2 or Inuyasha in order to see the ending. Shows like Maison Ikkoku were so good because the source-manga ended and they could appropriately pace the episodes of the show. I pray to god the new FMA doesn't fall pray to such shenanigans.

OPs/EDs are a treat when they're good and can really help set the mood of the show. That said, listening to them too much is grating on the nerves. One of the things Eden of the East has going for it is great music for their OP & ED. OASIS!? That's REAL music!! Sold.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Jun 15th, 2009 @ 5:22pm

Gurren Lagann. This show is awesome.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Jun 16th, 2009 @ 1:16am

Master Higgins wrote:Gurren Lagann. This show is awesome.

I loved this show last year! You should think about mentioning this in the podcast. The upbeat tempo and energy is a nice break from the usual emo-ness of most anime. I particularly love how referential it is to the whole genre of big fighting robots. Combine our robots? Why, that's just what robots do, of course! I watched this first in Japanese, and I can't stand listening to this in English however. There's something about the English voice acting that lacks the same emphatic emotion and totally badass tone.
kenzo

Postby G-Nitro » Jun 16th, 2009 @ 3:46am

I just started reading the Gurren Lagann manga and I'm enjoying it so far, and I rarely get into mech style anime. I'll probably have to start the anime soon since the managa is very good.

And I agree on English Voice acting, as I refuse to watch dubbed anime. Only very few series are tolerable dubbed and Ranma 1/2's first 3 seasons were one of them.
G-Nitro

Postby PantslessJedi » Jun 16th, 2009 @ 4:40am

I'm watching Desert Punk, via Netflix. It has an awesome vibe to it, reminds me a lot of Trigun, only with the main character being obsessed with boobs and money. The guy wants to make a boob-filled theme park. :lol:

I'm only a few episodes in, but it seems to be a post apocalyptic world, showing the lives of a mercenary known as Desert Punk. He's immature and wisecracking, and I like it that way.
PantslessJedi

Postby Sokkratez » Jun 16th, 2009 @ 5:21am

PantslessJedi wrote:I'm watching Desert Punk, via Netflix. It has an awesome vibe to it, reminds me a lot of Trigun, only with the main character being obsessed with boobs and money. The guy wants to make a boob-filled theme park. :lol:

I'm only a few episodes in, but it seems to be a post apocalyptic world, showing the lives of a mercenary known as Desert Punk. He's immature and wisecracking, and I like it that way.

You may also like Aoi Hitomi Shojo. Not the same type of main character, but a similar setting and premise.
Sokkratez

Postby kenzo » Jun 16th, 2009 @ 1:45pm

G-Nitro wrote:I just started reading the Gurren Lagann manga and I'm enjoying it so far, and I rarely get into mech style anime. I'll probably have to start the anime soon since the managa is very good.

And I agree on English Voice acting, as I refuse to watch dubbed anime. Only very few series are tolerable dubbed and Ranma 1/2's first 3 seasons were one of them.

Not all dubbed anime is incompetent, it's just the nature and rate in which the relatively poor localization companies dub these shows usually makes for uninspired acting. I thought Cowboy Bebop and Inuyasha did admirable jobs. Though not anime, the Metal Gear Solid games have all had stellar voice acting that's actually better than the original.

PantslessJedi wrote:I'm watching Desert Punk, via Netflix. It has an awesome vibe to it, reminds me a lot of Trigun, only with the main character being obsessed with boobs and money. The guy wants to make a boob-filled theme park.

I really, really liked Desert Punk. But if you're going to continue liking it, you'll have to come to accept the fact that Kanta is not a good guy, and is in fact, a villain. This was part of the appeal of the show to me: it's so rare that any story, let alone anime, follows the story of a truly bad guy. Even shows like Lupin III, where the main character is a criminal and a thief, you know he's really the good guy all along.
Last edited by kenzo on Jun 16th, 2009 @ 3:11pm, edited 2 times in total.
kenzo

Postby Hellsfire » Jun 16th, 2009 @ 2:38pm

Monster Rancher because there were a few episodes I didn't get a chance to watch when I was a kid especially the last one. One more season to go. Monsters rule!
Hellsfire

Postby PantslessJedi » Jun 16th, 2009 @ 2:53pm

kenzo wrote:I really, really liked Desert Punk. But if you're going to continue liking it, you'll have to come to accept the fact that Kanta is not a good guy, and is in fact, a villain. This was part of the appeal of the show to me: it's so rare that any story, let alone anime, follows the story of a truly bad guy. Even shows like Lupin III, where the main character is a criminal and a thief, you know he's really the good guy all along.

That's the appeal of Desert Punk, for me. He's not out to save the world, or do good..He's out for himself.
PantslessJedi

Postby kenzo » Jun 16th, 2009 @ 3:22pm

I just started watching Natsume Yuujinchou. So far, I'm really diggin' it. It's basically everything I wanted Inuyasha to be. It's a show about a guy who can see spirits (when most people can't) and how it effects/wreaks havoc on his everyday life. Matters are complicated further when most spirits that he encounters wish to harass him for the misdeeds of his ancestor. Also, I have a softspot for cute cats like Nyanko-sensei:
kenzo

Postby Tobli » Jun 20th, 2009 @ 11:25am

I have been trying to get back into anime. I still haven't found a new show with a big appeal.

I watched Itzura na Kiss for the third time. It's one of my favorite shows :)

For some reason i watched a bunch of mediocre couple fighting against all odds anime for some reason..... Which made me burn out my anime interest pretty fast.
Tobli

Postby kenzo » Jun 20th, 2009 @ 3:27pm

Tobli wrote:I have been trying to get back into anime. I still haven't found a new show with a big appeal.

I watched Itzura na Kiss for the third time. It's one of my favorite shows :)

For some reason i watched a bunch of mediocre couple fighting against all odds anime for some reason..... Which made me burn out my anime interest pretty fast.

I just finnished watching Natsume Yuujinchou, and it's 2nd season, Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou. Very good stuff through and through. It's rather unconventional, and I have a feeling you might enjoy it.
kenzo

Postby G-Nitro » Jun 20th, 2009 @ 9:12pm

K-on! Episode 11 was really good. I'll be watching episode 12 soon and then wait for the special 13th episode to air for this season ends for it. Still heartbroken they are ending the season after only 13 episodes.
G-Nitro

Postby darfox8 » Jun 20th, 2009 @ 10:16pm

There actually was an anime thread in the TV and Movie section of the forum before Ryan created "Other Geekery" and tried to ghetto-ize anime. You think anime isn't TV and Movies!!!!??? HUH!!!!!!????? Ah whatever it's all good.

*********Spoilers************
I'm watching Hajime No Ippo(a Boxing anime). In the latest episode Takamura became the World Middle Weight Champion. It's a big deal, in the series, because Japanese boxers are inferior to other boxers around the world. Through out the show, a few Japanese boxers have had world title shots before but they've always been defeated pretty badly. But Takamura was the first one to pull it off and it was pretty epic.

I was actually afraid that they were going to kill off Takamura and leave the first World Title win for the main character. They did an amazing job at building up this fight. Normally the opponent boxers aren't evil or even assholes. They're just your next match on your way to the top. But this guy, they made him the most evil assholes you could ever imagine. And during the match they put you on pins and needles with the bad boxer talking about "having a License to Kill" and that he was going to exercise it. For a second there... I thought they really would kill him off.

I know I'm late because the manga is hella long and super ahead but I know nothing of the series ahead of the episodes I'm watching.
Last edited by darfox8 on Jun 21st, 2009 @ 11:10am, edited 1 time in total.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Jun 21st, 2009 @ 12:17am

darfox8 wrote:I'm watching Hajime No Ippo(a Boxing anime). In the latest episode Takamura became the World Middle Weight Champion.

***SPOILER ALERT!!***
Jeeze, dude! This show isn't even licensed yet and you're spoiling the ending of the season!
darfox8 wrote:It's a big deal, in the series, because Japanese boxers are inferior to other boxers around the world.

You say that, but I think that's what the show wants you to believe. Japanese people on average are shorter than say, the average American, and their fore you naturally aren't going to get any serious contenders for the Heavyweight title out of Japan. But if you look at the WBC (the World Boxing league Takamura fights in), Japanese fighters currently hold the championship at Flyweight, Bantamweight, and Featherweight.

I really, really liked this show until it started throwing in all these nationalistic references in this latest season. The reigning champion from America is a lazy jackass whose favorite 'meal' is Japanese women? WOW, kind of offended that this is how they portray the first American on the show. And the first Korean guy is a total pushover? :|

The first show was great, because it delved into the technical aspects of how boxing works, and all the matches were very realistically portrayed. This new one is terrible. The focus is less on the technical aspects, and more on the DBZ-esque spectacle of the fights. The speed lines and slowdowns are over the top, and if they didn't have boxing gloves on, you'd think this became an episode of Bleach, sucking out the realism from the art direction's standpoint. Even though Takamura is basically defeated in the beginning of the 5th round, he somehow pulls strength and energy out of nowhere and goes on for many more rounds, and at one point, fights while unconscious! The amount of blood that starts flying out of the two would have easily warranted the refs to call the match in real life, and yet they keep boxing. This last season has been brutal for me, it's going to have to shape up or I won't continue viewing it.
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Jun 21st, 2009 @ 11:09am

Oh damn, my bad. For some reason I didn't even realize that not everyone watches fan subs. I didn't even take into account anyone who does watch fans subs but might not be caught up on the series. I'm really sorry and I'll try and be alot more careful. I blame it on the late night posting.

****Spoilers for Hajime No Ippo******
So far I've been disappointed with the animation of certain scenes. Even though it looks "better" than the previous season it looks goofier to me. Also I don't like how they changed the music in the show. New tracks are fine but I think they got a new composer. It was obviously the guy who did the music for Trigun in the first 70 episodes and it was badass but now it's pretty different. Still good but I like the old style.

I seem to be more disappointed with technical aspects of the show. But the actual fights are alright for me. I do admit it was a little too silly the way the show represented them moving really fast(scary holloween faces?), and Takamura shouldn't have won after the beating he took, but that sort of stuff has happen before(just not to that extent). I remember being disappointed when Ippo broke his fist(or was it his wrist?) and they warned him that the morphine would hold the pain back during the match but afterward he would be in a world of torture. Well even if the character did experience that pain they didn't show none of the consequences. Also, the way they would animate the Dempsey Roll and splice in the sound of a Turbine engine was always over the top. I just think the Dempsey Roll was actually badass and the holloween scary faces in the Hawk vs Takamura was just looked dumb. It's a matter of the quality of the exaggerations for me.

Oh and yeah. If they didn't make the Mexican boxers(Date's nemesis) a quite and reserved boxer I'd swear this show really did make all foreign boxers ridiculous. Compared to most the other boxers I'm surprised the Mexican didn't look like a Mariachi.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby sgjackson » Jun 22nd, 2009 @ 12:39am

Been watching Souten Kouro, which is loosely based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I don't know much about Rot3K past that it's set in a historical period of China, but I'm enjoying it immensely so far. It focuses mostly on Cao Cao (so far, anyway), who seems very idealistic, calculating, and philosophical with a dash of the hotbloodedness one can expect from an anime protagonist, with the story recently adding some focus on Liu Bei, who's depicted as being a likable free spirit.

I kind of get the feeling they're hitting on the high points of the novel and moving at a breakneck pace, but there's enough engaging political intrigue and drama here to be interesting if that sounds interesting to you, and I get the feeling they're building up multiple storylines until they can all come together and clash.
sgjackson

Postby Clint » Jun 22nd, 2009 @ 8:42am

Just started watching the English dub of Teknoman, again. *love*
Clint

Postby James-Kond » Jun 23rd, 2009 @ 6:14am

Someone should add Spoiler tags in this forum :P (Ryan?)
Also most animes aren't licensed in the US if Japan already had 30+ episodes, and before there licensed in the EU, you're talking ages!
James-Kond

Postby kenzo » Jun 23rd, 2009 @ 3:38pm

James-Kond wrote:Someone should add Spoiler tags in this forum :P (Ryan?)
Also most animes aren't licensed in the US if Japan already had 30+ episodes, and before there licensed in the EU, you're talking ages!

This is true with unproven properties, but ones that show potential (like Samurai Champloo on the heels of Cowboy Bebop) or are sequels to previously licensed materials (like Hajime no Ippo's new seasons) get picked up relatively fast, if not even before they're released in Japan.
kenzo

Next
Forum Statistics