Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: What Anime are you currently watching?

Postby kenzo » Mar 31st, 2016 @ 3:19am

Spring 2016 Season is days away. Here's your stinkin' chart w/ scribbles on it:

ImageImage

Lotta shows I'm genuinely hyped for, but I see very few yellow borderline shows that might sneak into my viewing habits. One man can only watch so many battle harems or generic stuck-in-a-fantasy-world shows. :lol:
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Mar 31st, 2016 @ 12:59pm

Making a full season of Sakamoto desuga? probably won't work because the entire gimmick is pretty one note. Will still watch.

Ushio & Torah will be good but will continue to keep skip everything.

Boku no Hero Academia should be good but will probably have a bad ending.

Don't really care much about the rest. Have to wait til fall til Mob Psycho 100
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Apr 2nd, 2016 @ 4:13am

God, Diamond is such shit
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Apr 2nd, 2016 @ 12:53pm

dakazu wrote:God, Diamond is such shit

kenzo

Postby dakazu » Apr 9th, 2016 @ 2:13am

Don't tell Higgins about Koutetsujou no Kabaneri because it's fucking Japanese steampunk.

Also, Sakamoto Desuga? has the most amazing voice cast ever and is hilariously stupid and over the top. Amazing theme as well.

Jojo ending is actually fucking rad. Too bad all the stands in Diamond are shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Apr 9th, 2016 @ 3:32am

Well, don't tell Higgins that AoT was steampunk too, and he loved that. First episode of Kabaneri was pretty good.
kenzo

Postby meDotJS » Apr 9th, 2016 @ 8:17pm

I just watched the first episode of Kiznaiver, and that was a solid "eh" with a side of "alright I guess."

The first episode was unoffensive and nothing more.

We only learned enough about each individual character to know what archetype they fell into. Even the main character so far only falls into an archetype. We know nothing about him besides the fact that he's quiet and lonely. We haven't learned enough about the characters to know whether or not we will like them. We haven't learned enough to know any character traits that will play any interesting part in the story. We just know they exist, know their names, and know their basic archetype.

We know next to nothing about the world. It's obvious that it's a world that culturally and politically differs from our own (because none of this shit would fly in the real world), but we haven't been shown how it differs. We're told the world is in conflict, but we aren't shown that conflict. We don't know if the world itself will hold any interest.

We know nothing of the plot. We don't know if a major conflict will play out that the characters will have to overcome their issues and work together to resolve it, we don't know whether it will just be character drama with the premise always in the background used to push things along, etc. We know nothing about the people who gave them this connection. And again, we know nothing about this world and any plot that might unfold there.

All we know is the premise, and even then we just know what it is. So far they have yet to do anything interesting with it.

When it comes to introductory episodes this one was as safe as they come. It took no risks. It just did its job in the most unoffensive way possible. I can't form any opinion of this show based on such an introduction.

I guess the three episode rule is in effect for this one.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby kenzo » Apr 11th, 2016 @ 3:41am

I have discovered there are bluray rips of Macross Plus and Macross 7 and Macross II. My birthday has come early this year! :D :D :D :D I actually cannot wait to see Plus for the first time in HD. And holy shit 7 looks soooooooo good in 1080p. Sorry Gundam, but you're being put on the back burner now for my one true love.
kenzo

Postby meDotJS » Apr 16th, 2016 @ 12:15pm

Kiznaiver ep2 was better than the first one. I liked how it delved into the characters and showed us a little beyond just their archetypes. The characters could still use a lot of fleshing out but it seems like they're going in the right direction with this.
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
meDotJS

Postby dakazu » Apr 22nd, 2016 @ 11:53pm

Ushio to Tora in 5 seconds...
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Apr 27th, 2016 @ 11:34am

Best new anime 2016
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Apr 27th, 2016 @ 11:36pm

dakazu wrote:Best new anime 2016
Not remotely, at least for me. It's actually kinda bad. I can forgive it for being butt-ugly because it's kinda endearing how its drawn. It could be really neat if it had any budget, and like, a competent DJ mixing beats. But in a show about music, the music itself is generic and repetitive. And at 8mins/ep there isn't really enough substance to sink your teeth into. The story is fun, but really stupid. It works as like a 4koma gag, but stretched into 8 mins is a bit too much, leaving the show in a weird place where it's not substantial enough, but too substantial. I dunno. It's not awful or anything, but I strangely had higher hopes for it.

The upper tier of shows I'm watching that are vying for AOTS are:

Macross Delta
Concrete Revolutio
Boku no Hero Academia
JoJo
Joker Game
Ushio & Tora
AssClass
Kabaneri
Kumamiko

If I'm being honest with myself and going off of pure enjoyment factor and what I'm looking forward to every week, it's Macross Delta by a mile, but a lot of that is tied to franchise nostalgia/loyalty/fanaticism. Kabaneri by far and away the best looking show of the bunch, followed up by Boku no Hero and Joker Game. Joker Game is easily the most interesting thing going on simply because of how much of an enigma the entire thing is. And a lot of these shows are here simply because of what they represent in terms of long-running shows, how much I've liked what I've previously seen, and the open possibility for their endings to be something so amazing that it catapults that show up above the rest (or if it doesn't stick the landing, gets knocked down a few pegs). And then there's JoJo, which is like a class of anime all to itself. It'll be fun to come back once the season is done and see where my opinion stands with all of these.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » May 2nd, 2016 @ 12:43am

Macross Delta is AotS and it's not even close. It's really putting to shame every single Gundam thing that's been made in the last 16 years.

I'm rewatching the original SDF Macross for the first time in ages. Man, what a fuckin amazing show. I don't even want to keep up with current shows, I just want to watch more Macross.
kenzo

Postby dakazu » May 2nd, 2016 @ 2:46am

Your read this?
dakazu

Postby kenzo » May 2nd, 2016 @ 4:20am

Thisisbait.jpg

Hey look, another troll-post from Dakazu. Not only is every single point of those patently false or fucking stupid, but that clickbait article hijacked my phone's webbrowser and tried to install shifty apps. So thanks for the both figurative and literal cancer, Dakazu.
kenzo

Postby dakazu » May 3rd, 2016 @ 1:40pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dakazu

Postby kevinep3 » May 5th, 2016 @ 7:11pm

Funimation put yu yu hakusho on their apl, so fucking good
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby meDotJS » May 10th, 2016 @ 8:54pm

Kiznaiver feels like it's building up to some really emotional climaxes to several different character arcs, and I'm interested to see what they could be, but it still feels only mildly interesting at the moment. It is a very pretty show to watch though. The production values and art direction are actually really amazing. Now hopefully the writing turns out to match.
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
meDotJS

Postby kenzo » May 10th, 2016 @ 10:13pm

meDotJS wrote:Kiznaiver feels like it's building up to some really emotional climaxes to several different character arcs, and I'm interested to see what they could be, but it still feels only mildly interesting at the moment. It is a very pretty show to watch though. The production values and art direction are actually really amazing. Now hopefully the writing turns out to match.
The premise of this show is bad, and I'll never trust Mari Okada to be in charge of writing something ever again. Her brand of hamfisted drama is everything that's wrong with anime. It's not even the best thing Studio Trigger is making atm (Space Patrol Lalaco is so much better). I would normally try to be less judgmental about people doing things that ultimately they enjoy, but it seems like a shame that you're budgeting your limited amount of anime-time watching something that is admittedly mediocre when there's so many better things happening atm this season.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » May 11th, 2016 @ 5:16am

Finished SDF Macross. I'm actually surprised by how much of it holds up. It holds up much better than a number of its contemporaries like MSGundam 0079. I don't recall it having three recap episodes though. That's pretty brutal, but thankfully skipable. Also watched DYRL and Flashback 2012. DYRL is sooooo beautiful, and the music is soooooo good, but the story and characterizations are woefully inferior to the tv show. Onto Macross II, Plus, and 7 now. Man, I fucking love this franchise so much. Yak Deculture!
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 11th, 2016 @ 6:50am

Interesting that you reference Gundam 0079 instead of Zeta as the contemporary. It aired pretty much equidistant from both shows, if not a bit closer to Zeta I believe.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » May 11th, 2016 @ 7:00am

Kawamori was the head of a Gundam fanclub in college, where a lot of the ideas that became Macross was born. The show itself, is a deconstruction of a lot of tropes in Gundam and other shows that came before it. It's also the beginning of an epic franchise the same way 0079 was. IMO it's absolutely 0079's contemporary.

As a show it looks better than 0079 by a wide margin, but doesn't have the same constant standard of visual fidelity that Zeta has, and it reuses stock footage a lot (though mostly in ways that's not very noticeable). There are individual moments though, scattered throughout SDFM, that blow any individual moment in Zeta out of the water, and it's usually a scene with mecha. There are times I'm not convinced these animators at Studio Nue know how to draw people, but god damn do they clearly love their mecha.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » May 12th, 2016 @ 11:54pm

I started watching Re:ZERO, after seeing how popular it is on certain places. This is definitely a normie-bait show for casuals like Erased before it. I'm liking it, but it's pretty tropey so far. I also dig the hour long episode for #1 as well.
kenzo

Postby dakazu » May 17th, 2016 @ 11:12pm

The newest issue of Shonen Sunday reveals that Keijo(Hip Whip Girl) is getting an anime....

Can't wait for this god awful shit to be animated :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Jun 2nd, 2016 @ 12:33am

I know these kinds of little mangaka notes are pretty disposable/meaningless, but I like to think they provide a little insight into their mindsets. Like, look at Yoshihiro Togashi's serious note about his health/well being, and then Kohei Horikoshi's excitement at his comic getting its first official models being made, and then Tite Kubo's IDGAF attitude, talking about watching the Tour de France. :lol:
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Jun 8th, 2016 @ 12:30am

It's SO GOOD to have new Macross back in my life. It really is my favorite anime franchise. Sorry Gundam, you're pretty cool in your own right, but you solve too many of your problems by shooting at them. I've always been a Star Trek over Star Wars guy, and a big part of that is Star Trek having an ethical core, being better scifi, and trying to solve conflicts other than just killing everyone. Gundam is the Star Wars of anime - flashy fights, psychic magic, and lots of pew pew shooting and cool robot fights. Macross though is Star Trek - it's a big interstellar scifi adventure about finding understanding and resolving conflicts. Like seriously, how Star Trek is this here:

This OVA series is a big Moby Dick parable, where a guy is seeking revenge on a giant white space whale. But the MC flies in, and quells the space whale by singing a rad duet with it. And when everyone observing realizes that these rampaging space whales are really just other living beings capable of feelings and great beauty as well, they lay down their arms in awe. It's fantastic shit. I really wish Macross was the franchise we got yearly iterations and a billion plamo sets of instead of Gundam.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Jun 10th, 2016 @ 1:37pm

:lol:

3dcg is the best thing to happen to anime since Mari Okada
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Jun 19th, 2016 @ 4:12am

dakazu

Postby kenzo » Jul 1st, 2016 @ 3:09pm

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:

kenzo

Postby kenzo » Aug 29th, 2016 @ 11:14pm

OreImo is one of the most unpleasant things I've had the misfortune of watching in quite some time.
kenzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics