Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: What Anime are you currently watching?

Postby kenzo » Jul 23rd, 2015 @ 11:11pm

Jenn04 wrote:Both shows had extended sections past the credits this time, though - is the current anime season taking a break for a bit?

I have no idea what you're talking about, or how you came to this conclusion.
kenzo

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 24th, 2015 @ 11:37am

dliu3d wrote:Are you asking for a recommendation?

I'm just writing whatever; you can reco if you guys want to but I wasn't implying it.

kenzo wrote:
Jenn04 wrote:Both shows had extended sections past the credits this time, though - is the current anime season taking a break for a bit?

I have no idea what you're talking about, or how you came to this conclusion.

Previous episodes of both those series usually just have "Next Episode -- title!!" after the credits, but for this week's episode for both series, after the credits they had 5-10 minutes of additional story stuff. It was just weird that they didn't do it before now - so I figured something was up. IDK, IDK how animu works.
Jenn04

Postby kenzo » Jul 24th, 2015 @ 12:26pm

Gotcha. To my knowledge there won't be any delays. That's just a style thing shows do once and a while depending on the whims of the episode director. Some shows do it more than others. I remember Captain Earth and Star Driver used to do that after every other episode.

You should watch World Trigger. Most shows have an OP and an ED. World Trigger puts its OP halfway through the show and has no ED. So every episode is like it has 10 minutes of additional story stuff.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Aug 2nd, 2015 @ 1:02pm

Kenzo what is your take on Dagonropa
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 2nd, 2015 @ 2:31pm

Never seen it, but it's universally maligned, and that's pretty rare in anime because usually there's some shitter out there that'll like the most garbage of garbage.

Is this what you and Davis do to recharge your hate-energy? Just find the worst anime out there and watch it? I've got some recommendations for shit-watching that will guaranteed make you angry and laugh at it while you're watching. Starting with Master Higgins' favorite show Earth Maiden Arjuna. It's about how McDonalds is literally poison, and how we'd all be better off if we were paleo-vegans. :lol: You'll fuckin' hate it! It does though have the best OST in a bad show ever made.

kenzo

Postby kenzo » Aug 4th, 2015 @ 7:19pm

kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Aug 6th, 2015 @ 9:16pm

Oh shiiiiiiit I'm watching some GunDAMN Seed Destiny and I'm only 3 minutes in and this is already radical! The main character's mom, dad and little sister all just got gruesomely blown to bits! Kenzo trade me something for the rest of this series! It's like 50 episodes. That's gotta be like at least 2 seasons of Babylon 5!!
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 6th, 2015 @ 9:22pm

1) 50 episodes is like 1 season of babby5
2) I wouldn't want you to watch SEED, let alone SEED Destiny. I'd rather you watch G-Reco

Nevermind, you couldn't handle how amazing G-Reco is. You'd probably love Zeta though. So many bitch-slaps in one show!
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Aug 6th, 2015 @ 9:47pm

I already watched Seed back when it originally aired. I don't remember anything about it other than what I refreshed from the wiki. Alls I know is that the robots in the Seed universe don't have wings, they don't have hair, they don't fucking sparkle like Twilight vampires. They're just fucking robots. Sometimes they turn into airplanes. Sometimes they turn into fucking tigers. But most of the time they're just regular-ass, gun-toting, energy-weapon wielding robots.

That video you just posted didn't show me dick except some anime people dancing to fairytale music. Seriously what the fuck are you even trying to accomplish? It's like you're trying to be a dick. Imagine if I went into Higgins' comic book store and asked him for a recommendation for a cool Spider man comic and he kicked me in my dick and told me I was a fucking moron if I read that shit instead of Bat man comics. I mean, he'd probably do that anyways, and he'd be just as big of a dick as you. Why can't you just be happy for me for once you miserable fuck?

And watch some fucking Babylon 5 al-fucking-ready you god damned idiot. You would like it.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 7th, 2015 @ 2:59pm

Sparkling mechs are so rad dude.

Mechs with hair are fucking rad too.

You rail about mechs with wings, and then lavish praise on Gundam SEED - a show full of mechs with wings!!!

Hey man, I'm not trying to be a dick. I thought I was being trolled here, so I was responding in kind.

G-Reco is amazing. It's just breakneck speed, all hand-drawn, classical mech action and whimsical fun.

But I'm convinced you don't like fun.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Aug 9th, 2015 @ 12:33am

Me and Davis just watched 3 episodes of that Dragonraper show and while its subject matter might not be as immediately offensive as the last 2 animus we watched (oh boy, another "kids trapped in a hopeless situation and forced to kill each other off" storyline! How original), the ways in which it feels so much like the (no doubt) awful weeb video game it's adapted from are quite offensive. During the courtroom interrogation scene it even broke out the video game overlays ripped straight out of Phoenix Wright, complete with OBJECTION! flashing on the screen when the main character poked a hole in someone's alibi. Quite gross.

Dakazu was totally right too, the character designs are fucking abysmal. I've never seen such a thorough A-Z assemblage of tired, animu archetypes assembled in one place. I don't know why I'm deconstructing this show, or any anime for that matter. It's all created solely by and for the mentally deficient.

Bonus thoughts to ponder:

<Aequitas> what if i wanted to become a japenese delinquent... but was unable to grow out a sick pompadour... #showerthoughts
<Veritas> u'd never b able 2 fulfill ur dreams :'(
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 9th, 2015 @ 2:57am

Who could have possibly foreseen that you'd hate that crummy show!?!? :ugeek:

If you can't grow out a pompadour, you can still be a Japanese delinquent because this isn't the 90s anymore.

I'm sitting here ruminating on your professed preferences for mechs shows liquid, and I really don't know where to start with something you'll actually unironically enjoy. The closest bet is any of the og UC Gundams, but I don't know if you'll put up with the old/jank animation. Maybe the film versions of the shows then?? 0083 or 08th MS Team might be good compromises.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Aug 9th, 2015 @ 10:45am

You trying to recommend old Gundam shows to me? I've seen a lot of that shit. The OG 79 series, Zeta, etc. That shit's the best. That shits the shit I'm saying is awesome when I say I like Gundam. That shit's got better animation than all the modern shit. New anime wishes it could be that good. There was so much care put into those old shows and the character designs weren't all deformed weeb-pandering caricatures with gravity defying hair. I still have my collection of Chinese bootleg Gundam shows. Some of that shit's pirated so badly and has some of the worst subtitles it's nearly unwatchable but I'd still watch that stuff over robots having karate matches.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Aug 9th, 2015 @ 9:18pm

Finished danganronpa. Was pretty bad and I only ended up finishing it because I thought is was hilarious that the OG voice of Doraemon(children's anime icon) was torturing shitty looking high schoolers.
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Aug 9th, 2015 @ 9:25pm

You shouldn't watch anime based on Davis recommendations. It has gotten me nowhere good in life.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 10th, 2015 @ 12:42am

LiQuid wrote:You trying to recommend old Gundam shows to me? I've seen a lot of that shit. The OG 79 series, Zeta, etc. That shit's the best. That shits the shit I'm saying is awesome when I say I like Gundam.
OK, based on everything you've said, I think I can say with good confidence that you need to watch Gundam Unicorn. You'll love it. It's concentrated mecha pron and everything you say you like about Gundam:

And though I know now that you'll probably hate it, I still think G-Reco is a solid recommend. You probably won't like the mecha designs as much, and the plot is bat-shit crazy (something I think you could actually enjoy if you just stopped being a dickhead and just enjoyed the stupidity for how nuts it is), but the care and detail put into the hand-animation in this show, and especially the mechs, is amazing, old school, throwback stuff:

LiQuid wrote:You shouldn't watch anime based on Davis recommendations. It has gotten me nowhere good in life.
To be fair, he wasn't following a Davis-recommendation. He was following a LiQuid recommendation. You told him to watch it, not Davis.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Aug 10th, 2015 @ 7:25am

Stop trying to recommend anime to me until you finish the first 4 seasons of Babylon 5. I'm already in the middle of watching 2 anime shows at the moment which is tied for the most anime shows I've watched in the last decade combined.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 10th, 2015 @ 9:27pm

You're hilarious. You complain about anime being awful, yet go out of your way to only watch the worst of the worst stuff, and refuse to give something you know you'll actually enjoy the time of day. Heaven forbid LiQuid to actually watch something he'll like! And then you come and tell me that you'll 'exchange' shows by 1) refusing to actually watch a shows I recommend, and then 2) always request a totally unbalanced trade. :lol:
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Aug 10th, 2015 @ 9:53pm

I'm watching a Gundam show that is good. I'm watching that other show because Davis asked me to and I don't get to watch things with Davis as much as I used to.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 10th, 2015 @ 10:00pm

You should make Davis watch Gundam Unicorn. I know he'd fucking love it. Or even better, watch Gundam: The Origin. Only the first episode is out, but Davis would probably cum his pants while watching it. Just tell him it's an entire OVA centered around Ramba Ral and he'll be in:

kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Aug 10th, 2015 @ 10:32pm

He's probably seen it. Davis has probably seen more Gundam than I have.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 11th, 2015 @ 7:19am

You know what they say when you make assumptions... The Origin literally came out only months ago.

I've been digging through memory lane with a bunch of Gundam crap, and man, so many of these shows have the most rad, blood-pumping music.

These songs (especially the bit at 2:30) get me gooooing

Amai na! Char!

This hand of mine is burning red!

kenzo

Postby kenzo » Aug 12th, 2015 @ 9:12pm

BUY THE BLURAYS!

(skip to ~3:30)

Obvi, NSFW
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Aug 12th, 2015 @ 9:32pm

kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Aug 12th, 2015 @ 9:42pm

Is that the anime equivalent of Family Guy? "Hey remember that thing you used to like???"
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 13th, 2015 @ 12:06am

She's a giant nerd in her private life. So she plays games, watches anime, eats junk food, and shit posts on the Internet. She plays MonHun too!
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Aug 13th, 2015 @ 3:39am

I can't believe how into himouto you are when you complain about all the other moe otaku crap out there.
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Aug 13th, 2015 @ 9:01pm

dakazu wrote:Image
I've always said, I have no problem inherently with cutesy shows. It's just gross when it gets weirdly exploitative and sexualized. And the whole KyoAni, K-On, blobby, literally nothing happens kinda show/trends is gross, but that's not Himouto (most of the time). Himouto is funny, genuinely cute and not creepy, and like I've described before I can identify with a lot of the shit going on here too. It's not a perfect show by any means (some of these other girls in the show are shitters) but it's entertaining, and beat my (non-existent) expectations.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Aug 18th, 2015 @ 11:27pm

Happy birthday, Jenn! I got you Wakako-zake on Crunchyroll! Watch it, you'll love it!!!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/wakakozake

Srsly doe, it's fantastic news that someone picked this show up finally.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Aug 19th, 2015 @ 1:55am

I'm pretty sure LiQuid would love G-Reco if he gave it an honest try, but since I want him to watch it he's obligated to hate it.
kenzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics