Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: What Anime are you currently watching?

Postby kenzo » Aug 19th, 2015 @ 2:50pm

kenzo wrote:Happy birthday, Jenn! I got you Wakako-zake on Crunchyroll! Watch it, you'll love it!!!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/wakakozake

Srsly doe, it's fantastic news that someone picked this show up finally.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Sep 4th, 2015 @ 6:18am

I have watched 6 episodes of space dandy. They were kind of crappy. You owe me 3 episodes of Babylon 5 now kenzo but you might as well just get 6 cause I'm gonna finish this retarded Han Solo shit by the end of the weekend cause I want it off my computer.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Sep 4th, 2015 @ 9:24am

Such a good OP! It's too bad it takes up like half the episode haha
Jenn04

Postby kenzo » Sep 4th, 2015 @ 4:52pm

LiQuid wrote:I have watched 6 episodes of space dandy. They were kind of crappy. You owe me 3 episodes of Babylon 5 now kenzo but you might as well just get 6 cause I'm gonna finish this retarded Han Solo shit by the end of the weekend cause I want it off my computer.
Space Dandy is an amazing show but it starts out pretty weak and it takes a while for the viewer to warm up to Dandy and his brand of stupidity in general. I'll be interested in seeing if you change your mind as the show goes on, or if you're completely hopeless.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Sep 4th, 2015 @ 5:29pm

I feel like watching 50% of a show's entire run should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect from the character. I think the show is full of way too much bad anime fanservice. I see the ways the Dandy character is like Onizuka that he's both kind of a pervert and also has kind of a heart and wants to help people, but that comes off as cheap. In general this show is way too erratic for my tastes. I really don't like the episodic monster/crisis of the week plotlines. Even the ones that try to be serious are full of so much anime nonsense that it's a bit of an affront to my senses just to watch it.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Sep 4th, 2015 @ 5:53pm

LiQuid wrote:I feel like watching 50% of a show's entire run...

>says watched half
>only watched 6 episodes
>tfw space dandy is 26 episodes long

Again, I'll be interested in seeing how your opinion changes.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Sep 4th, 2015 @ 6:08pm

Huh, how come I only have 13?
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Sep 4th, 2015 @ 6:34pm

*Shrug*
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Sep 5th, 2015 @ 12:03am

Jenn04 wrote:

Such a good OP! It's too bad it takes up like half the episode haha

Glad you like the show! I love Wakako!

Now you know why I don't like these short shows. When they're good, you get sad that they're not longer!
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Sep 6th, 2015 @ 4:35am

Wakako is based on a manga and each chapter is 5 pages. It's gonna be short no matter what.
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Sep 18th, 2015 @ 1:13am

TFW Zeta Gundam ending

It's time to blaze forward with ZZ, but I've seen too many Tears of Time and I might take a break with something lighter like more City Hunter as a palate cleanser.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Sep 19th, 2015 @ 1:01am

7 episodes deep into ZZ Gundam. I'm really really digging it this time around, versus the last time where I found it lame. It's just a lot of fun, and spending the first half dozen episodes hanging out on a colony as Judau plays the Gundam tutorial level is nice too (very little time in 0079 and Zeta is actually spent on colonies proper).
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Oct 4th, 2015 @ 11:50pm

Kekkai Sensen ending was kinda meh. It ended up revealing how weak the original characters were. I would have preferred a full season ending with Leo confronting the evil doctor from manga volume 10 and saving his sister. Oh well, maybe season 2.

Prison School was fantastic. As absurd as it needed it to be. Once you accept the fan service for what it is you can really sit back and enjoy it.

Ushio to Tora is great but they've skipped a lot of storylines. It's unfortunate but I'm just glad they're doing that series justice.

One Punch Man pilot was great. Really quality animation at the last fight scene. Hope they keep up the quality. OP song is super disappionting. Not manly epic like Ushio and just junk metal/alternative crap.

New Gundam was very BreakBlade like. Hate the mobile tanks.

Z Gundam continues to be meh.
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Oct 5th, 2015 @ 4:34am

Prison School was good but needed more budget. Still a good show but imagine if it had OPM's level of resources to worn from. Hopefully they get more made in the future.

OPM's OP is sex. I wish you could articulate why it's bad besides 'song is bad'. What makes it bad?

I haven't read Ushio & Tora but even I can tell it's getting condensed. And honestly, that's fine. It's better to cut out the fat than be bloated.

That is an insult to Break Blade. Reading noob-reactions to this show on the Internet is actually infuriating. Then I try to gain perspective again and realize that everyone starts out as noobs at some point. But yeah. Lots of little kids with no perspective or appreciation for history who take glee in and boast about their ignorance.

Z, and UC Gundam in general is not for everyone. Honestly Dakazu you probably should have just watched the New Translation movies of Zeta. It cuts the fat so you wouldn't be so bored, and adds a bunch of new animation so certain fight scenes and added/condensed dialog work better for a movie form. I love Zeta though so I didn't appreciate the condensed version, plus I hate the new ending it gets. Also the abrupt switches between old footage and new animation is kinda jarring; they probably should have just reanimated everything from scratch.

I have 4 episodes left of ZZ. This is becoming one of my favorite Gundam shows. Fuck the haters; let this be a lesson to myself and everyone that you should always watch shit and make up your own opinions yourself rather than listening to a hive mind consensus that's usually dead wrong.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Oct 16th, 2015 @ 8:12pm

Holy crap is that Valkyrie Drive show lewd. The Senran Kagura guys finally get to show all the anime titties that they want.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Oct 16th, 2015 @ 9:40pm

CrossXhunteR wrote:The Senran Kagura guys finally get to show all the anime titties that they want.
Not the Senran Kagura guys. It's made by Arms. A studio that makes a lot of ecchi-sketchy stuff, and also straight up hentai. Shows like Ikkitousen and Queens Blade. And hentai like "Slave Nurses". So this is just par for the course.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Oct 17th, 2015 @ 4:18am

The anime isn't made by the Senran Kagura guys, but the franchise is.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Oct 18th, 2015 @ 5:24am

Just watched the 3rd episode of the new Gundam. So far, this show is remarkable because it's managed create the most unlikable protagonist in possibly all of Gundam (can't speak for SEED). I'm giving the show the benefit of the doubt and assuming that some character development is going to happen. But this guy currently goes beyond the normal autistic Gundam MC and is just straight up a psychopath.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Oct 18th, 2015 @ 5:41am

Both of the Seed protagonists are kinda shit but they spend a lot of time in the background while the show focuses on the way better supporting characters.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Oct 18th, 2015 @ 6:22am

That's kind of IBO's MO so far too, so that's a nice saving grace.

Also, what I consider a unlikable protag, I'm sure others will disagree.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Oct 18th, 2015 @ 6:39am

The guy is like the most child soldier of any child soldiers. Of course he is fucked up.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Konanda » Oct 21st, 2015 @ 10:18am

CrossXhunteR wrote:The Senran Kagura guys finally get to show all the anime titties that they want.

So you mean the Senran Kagura anime?
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby CrossXhunteR » Oct 21st, 2015 @ 6:19pm

But do we get nipples, or just scantily clad ladies? Valkyrie Drive is borderline hentai.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Oct 27th, 2015 @ 7:16am

In the time it's taken Kevin to watch 6 episodes of 08th MS Team, I've watched ZZ, CCA, 0080, and 0083.

I just watched the 100th episode of City Hunter, and I've never been so blueballed by a return to the status quo as I was at the end of this episode. But still was a damn fine episode. Best animu kiss in forever. And Based Ryo Saeba disarms a friggin nuke with a gun by shooting it, bringing new levels to badassery and manliness.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Nov 3rd, 2015 @ 3:26am

Haha! Get cucked, Dakazu!

They announced the studio for My Hero Academia, and it's Studio Bones! This is great news, I now have excitement for this. Above is also the released key visual for the show.

Sunrise also announced that Gintama will start the Shogun Assassination Arc in the beginning of December... :?

Looks like they're going to be skipping a lot of stuff... I hope they're just saving it for padding after this arc, because the serious-train doesn't end after the Assassination Arc. But I'm worried that they're just skipping to the big shit to either try and resuscitate interest in the show, or sending this season off with a bang.
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Nov 6th, 2015 @ 4:46pm

Ugh Bones? Are they gonna have a 5 month hiatus for the season finale again?

Bones handling this source material is gonna be really really weird. My Hero is such a straight forward shonen series.
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Nov 7th, 2015 @ 2:42am

dakazu wrote:Bones handling this source material is gonna be really really weird. My Hero is such a straight forward shonen series.
Because Bones has never done a straight forward shounen series before.

Spoiler: show
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Nov 7th, 2015 @ 11:05am

Eureka Seven was not straight forward; FMA, Soul, Eater and Heroman (the two episodes I saw of it) are straight forward enough though.
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Nov 7th, 2015 @ 12:07pm

Eureka Seven is as straight forwards as it gets, man. It's a Gundam clone beat for beat.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Nov 7th, 2015 @ 7:10pm

I mean large parts of it are but there is also the weird The Zone shit, or the mechs being sentient and like the entire end of that series, just off the top of my head.
Konanda

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics