Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby DarthEnder » Apr 28th, 2016 @ 12:11pm

kenzo wrote:You have to interact with real human beings at some point in order to perform work enough to make a living, never mind all the other interactions required on a daily basis in order to do the things necessary to stay alive. That's how the world works. And you either adapt to it and interact with people on some level, or you die. That's how MMOs used to be.
Right, and then the people making MMOs realized that they were supposed to...you know...be a game. Instead of an accurate recreation of the misery and boredom of real life.

kenzo wrote:No, you just hit a button and it auto-matches you with a bunch of might-as-well-be-NPCs.
Yeah...they aren't though. Those are people you can totally interact with if you want. I bet you don't try though. Turning it into a self-fulfilling prophecy.
DarthEnder
User avatar
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Apr 27th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: NinjaPirate HQ

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby LiQuid » Apr 28th, 2016 @ 1:10pm

If you've been playing MMOs since EverQuest and don't see the fact that the move towards making them massively single player experiences as well as the "quality of life" automation provided by stuff like matchmaking and instancing have ruined their social aspects, you need HELP. I've played a ton of MMOs over the course of my life and they are not social anymore. Even the ones I've gone out of my way to attempt to play with friends, it's pointless to attempt to socialize or play them cooperatively because they are such a trivial treadmill of an experience. I still actively play Guild Wars 2 and don't ever talk to anybody. I could talk to my guild and invite people to accompany me on my rote ass fucking nonsense, but what's the point? The game has provided no incentive to do so. Even in FF14, which forces you to be in a group to progress, it has a matchmaker that puts you in a party with people THAT ARENT EVEN ON THE SAME SERVER AS YOU just to complete it. There's literally no reason to interact with any of them because they are temporary acquaintances at best and ersatz NPCs for the most part. This isn't MY fault as a player for not choosing to engage in other people. It's the games' faults for removing any and all reasons to ever have to do so.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28314
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby LiQuid » Apr 30th, 2016 @ 5:59am

Was suggested Duelyst as a panacea for my Hearthstone woes. It's a free 2 play collectible card game that takes it's daily questing and business model directly from Hearthstone. Only the game itself plays out on a grid as a TRPG. You play as a general on a grid and the cards are minions that you summon onto the board and play just like Final Fantasy Tactics. There are spells and artifacts added in too for buffs and shit. Played thru some training matches as each of the factions and can declare that this game is in fact awesome and CCG and/or TRPG fans should definitely try it out.

https://duelyst.com/



Check out how rad the pixel art in this game is

LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28314
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby meDotJS » Apr 30th, 2016 @ 6:09pm

Paragon is a lot of fun.

We need to play this with 5 people the next beta weekend. Unfortunately I think Ex and myself were the only two to get in this weekend.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS
User avatar
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sep 19th, 2012 @ 5:26pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 30th, 2016 @ 6:34pm

I think we are the only two even signed up/care about the game at all. Which is too bad cause the game is fun.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby LiQuid » Apr 30th, 2016 @ 7:42pm

Eh, I tried to get people to play Smite with me and nobody was into it. I don't really like the look of Paragon at all.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28314
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby meDotJS » Apr 30th, 2016 @ 10:04pm

Paragon is a lot better than Smite.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS
User avatar
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sep 19th, 2012 @ 5:26pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby LiQuid » Apr 30th, 2016 @ 11:24pm

Sorry medot but by now you've established that you're pretty loose with your snap judgments based on very little actual experience. How many games of Smite and Paragon have you got under your belt even? I'm genuinely curious.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28314
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby LiQuid » May 1st, 2016 @ 6:27am

I just got over 1,000 trophies in Clash Royale for the first time. I was hovering around the 800-900 mark for a really, really long time while I was trying to figure out how to properly build my deck around my balloon. I've been winning a lot with the set up the way it is now, but I still feel like the balloon is my least used unit in it. Way too many counters for it. The only way I score big damage on it is if I can manage to save up enough juice to create a diversion in one lane, then send the balloon down the other lane after the guy blows his load defending it. I do that with the Prince sometimes too. It's a risky maneuver because if they successfully defend against my diversion they can counter push me too hard for me to respond so I end up trading a tower at best, or worse losing my tower and the balloon comes up short and I get nothing. I dunno, balloon is one of those units I seem to get fucking wrecked by a lot but most of the time it's someone using cheeseball combos with it and Rage.

Oh, I played a little more of that Duelyst game yesterday too and I still really like it. I have yet to play against people, but I've leveled up like 3 of the factions to unlock cards and get a sense for how they play. I still catch myself making misplays on a pretty regular basis since there are a couple more things you need to be cognizant of during your turn that aren't featured in other CCG type games, like the ability to cycle one of your cards every turn for a new draw off your deck. Or your General's ability which is kind of like the hero abilities in Hearthstone, but you can't use it every turn. It's on a cooldown that cycles every couple of turns, so sometimes I'll totally forget about it and remember I could have used it after it's too late.

At the very least nothing about it actively annoys the shit out of me yet the way practically everything about Hearthstone does.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28314
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby LiQuid » May 1st, 2016 @ 6:31am

OH! I forgot the most important thing I wanted to say about Clash. There's some updates coming in a couple of days! Check this shit out!

- Gold: Receive Gold for each win, even when your chest slots are full
- Crown Chest: Contains twice as much!
- Super Magical Chest: Chance to drop doubled!
- Giant and Magical Chests: Chance to drop increased!
- Donations/Requests: Increases as you reach higher Arenas
- Card Shop: Legendary Cards can appear once you've reached the Legendary Arena

Gold per win!!!

Double loot from crown chests!!!

Better chest drops!!!

:o
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28314
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby Mr_eX » May 1st, 2016 @ 8:09am

I tried playing Smite and it didn't hook me the way Paragon has.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby LiQuid » May 1st, 2016 @ 1:48pm

Ofc it didn't. It doesn't have any graphics.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28314
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby LiQuid » May 2nd, 2016 @ 3:35am

Ex, I just uploaded a Clash match to our clan board this morning you MUST watch it. YOU MUST!

Spoiler: show
YOU MUUUUUST
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28314
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby Mr_eX » May 2nd, 2016 @ 6:28am

Saved by the bell. Same thing happened to me but I was on the losing end. Got them down to 1 hp and couldn't hit the tower.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby Jenn04 » May 2nd, 2016 @ 2:29pm

Golden Week in Japan means it's crazy-bones busy time in PSO2; with dance concerts & Miku & Emergency Quests that play old PSO music & busy lobbies & some dude running around shouting a swastika symbol. It's so strange but so great.

Spoiler: show
Raredrop dance yes pls.
Image


The only downside is that for the past 2 months or so it's been Easter in that game. Does Japan not know Easter's been long over?
Can we please please please PLEASE stop listening to Vamos a Carnaval? I was so excited when I first heard it but now it's been drilled into my brain.

HELP ME.
HELP ME PLSeguimos cantado,Seguimos bailando
Jenn04
User avatar
 
Posts: 976
Joined: Sep 21st, 2012 @ 1:02pm

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby DarthEnder » May 2nd, 2016 @ 8:11pm

LiQuid wrote:If you've been playing MMOs since EverQuest and don't see the fact that the move towards making them massively single player experiences as well as the "quality of life" automation provided by stuff like matchmaking and instancing have ruined their social aspects, you need HELP.
I don't know what to tell you. I socialize as much now as I ever did playing MMOs. Well, not right now, because we're in that long lull before the next expansion, which is when I always stop being active. But once the next xpac comes out, I'll be on and socializing as much as I ever did in Everquest.

I mean, your argument literally boils down to "Other people can play the game the way they like now, and that means the game sucks now even though it's still completely possible to play the game the way I like. If everyone isn't forced to play my way, then the game is shit."

LiQuid wrote:I've played a ton of MMOs over the course of my life and they are not social anymore. Even the ones I've gone out of my way to attempt to play with friends, it's pointless to attempt to socialize or play them cooperatively because they are such a trivial treadmill of an experience.
I guess you and I just had different Everquest experiences.

Because mine was sitting in a room in a dungeon killing the same 3 frogmen for weeks at a time. And I didn't spend the 10 minutes it took to for those frogmen to respawn swapping fireside tales with the other people in my group. I spent it watching TV or playing Pokemon or talking in guildchat with people I actually wanted to talk to instead of the randos I was grouped with 10 years before Group Finders existed.
DarthEnder
User avatar
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Apr 27th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: NinjaPirate HQ

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby DarthEnder » May 3rd, 2016 @ 10:52pm

Sweet May the Forth sale.

I finally grabbed the X-Wing series on both Steam and GoG.

In fact, my GoG wishlist basically emptied because I was just waiting on a bunch of Star Wars games to go on sale.

All that's left there now is poor, lonely, Street Fighter Alpha 2.
DarthEnder
User avatar
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Apr 27th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: NinjaPirate HQ

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby LiQuid » May 6th, 2016 @ 2:24am

I've had Battleborn tap running on my phone for 2 days now. Getting me hype to play Battleborn proper.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28314
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby Mr_eX » May 6th, 2016 @ 7:52am

Dont trust G2A. My friend bought something last week from them and was given a code for something else. The issue still hasn't been resolved.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 6th, 2016 @ 8:05am

I love that this one anecdote is what soured you on them.
CrossXhunteR
User avatar
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Jul 3rd, 2010 @ 2:09pm

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby Mr_eX » May 6th, 2016 @ 9:13am

The one person I know that has used the site got burned on their first purchases and customer support isn't helping. That's a 100% fail rate as far as I'm concerned.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby LiQuid » May 6th, 2016 @ 3:55pm

Did he get the G2A guard for a dollar extra?
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28314
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby Mr_eX » May 6th, 2016 @ 5:12pm

No, he bought some 11 cent DLC
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby LiQuid » May 7th, 2016 @ 4:55am

Serious question: If your friend bought 11 cent DLC and got a code for something else, what did he get a code for? It had to have been worth more than 11 cents...

Also, this explains why customer support hasn't bent over backwards to fix his shit. Seems like a troll purchase. I don't trust this testimony tbh.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28314
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby kenzo » May 7th, 2016 @ 1:59pm

11 cents down the drain! How will his 401k ever recover!?
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26704
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby Mr_eX » May 7th, 2016 @ 10:07pm

I literally watched him make the purchase and contact customer support. He was doing it as a test to see if the site was legit. Thats why he didn't make a bigger purchase. He received Enclave instead, which he has no interest in playing.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby Mr_eX » May 7th, 2016 @ 10:08pm

kenzo wrote:11 cents down the drain! How will his 401k ever recover!?


The money isn't the issue. He purchased one item and received another.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby kenzo » May 7th, 2016 @ 11:48pm

If you were managing a company, would you waste your resources on a complaint only worth 11 cents? That wouldn't even pay for a minute's worth of a single employee's salary. To say nothing of other associated costs of managing your complaint. I really think you're being ridiculous.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26704
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby LiQuid » May 8th, 2016 @ 12:29am

Out of all the CD key resellers G2A is the only I know of that offers an insurance thing for a dollar more that guarantees you'll get a working code and it only costs a dollar which is chump change compared to the amount you save over buying retail, and it's super easy to get a referral link from any Twitch streamer that will save you a small percentage, like 3 or 5% off, that will basically save that dollar and more anyways. I'm sure there are scumbags on there trying to scam a few dollars off this site by posting keys for garbage they've collected from around the internet (that game you mentioned was a free giveaway game from some indie games website a couple months ago IIRC because I own it too) but I'd wager the majority of the keys that pass thru the system are legit otherwise they wouldn't be able to stay in business. Gamers are very entitled and discerning customers.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28314
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What'cha been playin'?

Postby DarthEnder » May 8th, 2016 @ 7:58am

kenzo wrote:If you were managing a company, would you waste your resources on a complaint only worth 11 cents? That wouldn't even pay for a minute's worth of a single employee's salary. To say nothing of other associated costs of managing your complaint. I really think you're being ridiculous.
Well, if what he's saying is true, and it was a test to see if the site worked, and then it didn't work, it's not just costing them the 11 cents, its costing them any and all future business with that person, because he's clearly not going to use their site again when it spectacularly failed his test.
DarthEnder
User avatar
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Apr 27th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: NinjaPirate HQ

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

Options

Return to Games

cron