Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: THE Geekbox Achievement Competition Thread-AND THE WINNER IS

Postby Bobloblaw » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 7:56am

I feel like now is the time to unveil my ultimate master plan. I think I am the only one of the top three that lives in the US. AP-Zac, LiQuid and Mr_eX all your prize are belong to us, I mean me.
Bobloblaw

Postby LiQuid » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 8:01am

PM me your address, I should be able to send it out today.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 9:28am

PM me your address, I'll try to get it out this week but I'm super busy at work so I might not be able to ship it till Monday.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 1:14pm

Ok, so I played hooky today, so no dice, but I gotta stop at the P.O. tomorrow to mail the IRC a bunch of fucking money, so I'll do it then. Just in case you were like, gonna sit outside and wait for the postman.
LiQuid

Postby Bobloblaw » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 9:22pm

I guess I have to call back in the Kraken.
Bobloblaw

Postby Bobloblaw » Apr 22nd, 2010 @ 4:41pm

Thanks Mr_eX!

Bobloblaw

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 22nd, 2010 @ 5:05pm

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby dabeast0976 » Apr 22nd, 2010 @ 5:17pm

Mr_eX wrote:Image

one of the greates shows ever.
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby LiQuid » Apr 23rd, 2010 @ 4:56am

Don't worry Bob, I'll make it to the P.O. sooner or later. I've had W11DS in my laptop bag for the last week.
LiQuid

Postby Bobloblaw » Apr 24th, 2010 @ 9:19am

LiQuid wrote:Don't worry Bob, I'll make it to the P.O. sooner or later. I've had W11DS in my laptop bag for the last week.

Signed W11DS, right?
Bobloblaw

Postby indieinsd » May 1st, 2010 @ 4:22am

Dude I'm going tomorrow. Both those packages have been sitting in my truck for like 2 weeks.
indieinsd

Postby Bobloblaw » May 3rd, 2010 @ 7:01pm

indieinsd wrote:Dude I'm going tomorrow. Both those packages have been sitting in my truck for like 2 weeks.

It is all good. My heart was broken by my lack of a signed W11DS.
Bobloblaw

Postby LiQuid » May 4th, 2010 @ 2:19am

Bobloblaw wrote:
indieinsd wrote:Dude I'm going tomorrow. Both those packages have been sitting in my truck for like 2 weeks.

Not signed... Autographed and it will fucking come! I'm BROKE. BROKE! It costs money to buy one of those fancy ass envelopes with the bubbles on the inside and put postage on that shit and I can't even afford a dozen eggs to provide sustenance for a week of staying alive much less a 1.75 of whiskey for staying drunk!! Could you throw me a fucking bone here?!
LiQuid

Postby Bobloblaw » May 4th, 2010 @ 6:40am

LiQuid wrote:Not signed... Autographed and it will fucking come! I'm BROKE. BROKE! It costs money to buy one of those fancy ass envelopes with the bubbles on the inside and put postage on that shit and I can't even afford a dozen eggs to provide sustenance for a week of staying alive much less a 1.75 of whiskey for staying drunk!! Could you throw me a fucking bone here?!

Don't risk sobriety on my account.
Bobloblaw

Postby LiQuid » May 4th, 2010 @ 12:19pm

I knew you'd understand!
LiQuid

Postby indieinsd » May 6th, 2010 @ 12:22pm

Bobloblaw wrote:

I sent it out yesterday.
indieinsd

Postby Bobloblaw » May 12th, 2010 @ 7:05am

indieinsd wrote:I sent it out yesterday.

Package received. 80s goodness appreciated. If I can get my Nintendo working I'll post some screen shots.
Bobloblaw

Postby PantslessJedi » May 12th, 2010 @ 2:27pm

DiRT received!
PantslessJedi

Postby indieinsd » May 12th, 2010 @ 2:32pm

Sorry Jedi, I don't have 360 and the other PC games I have just recently got (And thus have barely played any of the games) because I just built a gaming pc. Nice to see you guys both got your shit. Sorry about the lateness.
indieinsd

Postby Mr_eX » May 12th, 2010 @ 2:54pm

At least you got your stuff mailed out before liquid.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » May 17th, 2010 @ 1:41pm

Guess what I just mailed???
LiQuid

Postby dabeast0976 » May 17th, 2010 @ 2:13pm

LiQuid wrote:Guess what I just mailed???

Your credit card bill payment?
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby Mr_eX » May 17th, 2010 @ 2:17pm

Cashing in the Kool-Aid points?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » May 17th, 2010 @ 3:34pm

The application for your sex-change operation?
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » May 17th, 2010 @ 3:34pm

LiQuid wrote:

The application for your sex-change operation?

Cheater!!!
LiQuid

Postby indieinsd » May 17th, 2010 @ 9:00pm

That was pretty funny.
indieinsd

Postby kiwi » Jun 28th, 2010 @ 5:13pm

Does this need to be stickied still?
kiwi

Postby LiQuid » Jun 29th, 2010 @ 2:53am

You need to be sticky.
LiQuid

Re: THE Geekbox Achievement Competition Thread-AND THE WINNE

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 2nd, 2013 @ 7:59am

I am bumping this so it can be compared to the trophy contest. Bob was saying it was easier to win this than the trophy contest but I don't think it was
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Re: THE Geekbox Achievement Competition Thread-AND THE WINNE

Postby Bobloblaw » Mar 2nd, 2013 @ 8:25am

Mr eX didn't always believe in the Law of Loblaw. Also, It turns out I played two games in both contents, the sonic genesis collection and burnout paradise.

Bobloblaw wrote:
Pootrain5 wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:I thought Pootrain had it in the bag. What an upset victory for Bobloblaw

Tell me about it. :) I was keeping an eye on The Mule and Petturi thought no one else was even close haha. If I'd had a little more time I would have got another 20G and then Would have played through the Pitt in fallout for anouther 100G. BUT that still wouldnt have been enough.

I started out the competition thinking there was absolutely no way for me to win it. I considered it a bit of incentive to bolster my pitifully low achievement score. My initial goal was to try and garner 100 points a night playing games that I enjoy. Life was good. I tried some game modes I had passed by in Red Faction. I enjoyed my return to Paradise City. The grass was green and the girls were pretty. So were the smattering of achievements I had lying around. This is what is commonly referred to as the high point of my adventure in achievement whoring. I explored new game play mechanics and revisited solid fun games. In other words, I was still using protection and highly selective of what company I kept.

Then the weekly ranking came out and low and behold I was bring up the rear with the zero achievement squad. I had around 300 a far cry from the lead. At this point, I wasn't even entertaining the notion of making a run for the win. I just wanted to avoid being a achievement whore slacker. My aim was the top quarter. So I did what any achievement hungry gamer would do, I lowered my standards. I cracked the seal of my Ultimate Genesis Collection. "Waassssuuup!" 90s. Sonic is still fun to play. I realized how bad Golden Axe had declined, all of the sudden Streets of Rage wasn't the bomb and wtf is Alex Kidd? I was at the point where the game isn't so shiny and I let it go without too strong of a dislike built up. However, I only had half of the achievement points. Work began and I can safely say there is a small corner of my personal hell that has Dr. Robotnik's M.B.M. taunting me in it. Still looking at the positives, the collection didn't have Toe Jam and Earl or Earth Worm Jim. Part of my treasured Genesis memories remained untarnished and surely 950 additional points would put me where I wanted to be in the rankings, right? Wrong. Instead I stayed fixed in my position in the middle of the pack.

It was time to roll up my sleeves a little bit and get dirty. I like fighting games. My friend had Fight Night Rrd 3. I heard it had easy achievement points. It sounded like a good match. Initially, it was. I enjoyed creating a boxer and unleashing my button mashing fury on a very deserving CPU. Oddly enough, the game didn't roll over and produced the promised achievements. Investigation was warranted. As it turns out, I made a mistake. I was trying to play the game. I should have been trying to cheese the game. I turned off the illegal blows and started a new career of subsisting entirely on low blows and elbows. Enjoyment way down, achievement factor way up. Feeling slightly dirty I felt now I would be where I wanted in the pack and I can finally start playing Darksiders, a hot and sexy game that doesn't give up achievement points easily. A game I wouldn't be ashamed be seen with out in public.

Delusions are made to be broken though. The rankings came out and Master Higgins announced the top 5 on the podcast and he might throw some prizes in. I was sixth and a self avowed comic fan. It just got real. Suddenly, what I thought as a healthy achievement score looked pretty paltry. I'm sorry Darksiders. I like you and all but what I need now is something sluttier. Something that has no problem giving up their achievements on the first date. Hello TMNT and NBA 2K6. Sure TMNT is a little young and NBA 2K6 is a little more sporty than I like but I couldn't let standards and fun get in the way of achievement whoring.

I went to my local GameStop (yes, I had fallen far). When the inevitable "may I help you find something line" dropped, I broke from my normal response of no. "Yyyyessss, yes, you can. I need cheap games with cheap achievement points." I have no idea why my fingers were steepled like Mr. Burns and why I had an irrational urge to stroke a cat while quietly chuckling to myself.

I certainly made that GameStop employee's day. He lit up like it was Christmas. Out came the entire 2K6 sports lineup. The cheapest trick on the block, Avatar showed up. He assured me that Avatar gets around. I skimmed the pre-teen section for some slightly under age achievements. I did draw the line at Hanna Montana. I had fallen far, but come on. I was set or quite far from redemption depending on your point of view.

The little devil popped up on my shoulder and suggested a plan. I wanted to save the quickest and easiest achievements until the end. I figured that some one sly and clever would do the same sort of thing and save and easy 1 to 2K until end. I saved 2.5K. I wanted to be around 1000 off the leading pace. Close enough to strike but not close enough to be considered a real threat. I started to churn through the sports line up. I know they are supposed to be easy, but for a sporting game neophyte like me it was a bit of a challenge. I felt good at the end of the last weekend. I was 880 points out of the lead but close enough. Over the next couple of days the hammer dropped. The leaders turned it on. Crap. They forced my hand and I had to play more crappy games just to keep pace. Then the day of reckoning was at hand. The Mule and pootrain5 were going back and forth. I pulled my ethernet cable. I didn't want to spook the leaders. I wanted to come out of no where at the last minute.

I played all of the quick achievements I had save up. With an uneasy eye, I noted how that wouldn't be enough if they had a similar finishing move planned. Noooo. My nerd rage ignited. I had to play more crappy sports games. As an added wrinkle to the story, my mom had come into town on Wed to visit for Easter. She wanted help. I was desperate enough to take it. Of course, trying to explain control schemes and movement base on the camera view proved to be challenging. I also failed to get across the concept that the best way to "help" me was to make it easier for me to win, not to play against me.

With about 20 minutes left in March on the east coast, I was only 800 points ahead. If someone had Avatar up their sleeve, I'm done. The xbox rejoined the internet and I waited for my gamer card to update. It didn't update immediately. A cold sweat started to break. Finally, it updated with five minutes left. Then I noticed there were no dates on my huge batch of achievements. PANIC. What if the points don't count towards March???? Quickly what game do I have that I can eek out and achievement with the 5 mins left? Prey. I Preyed and finished a level for a quick 10 achievement points.

The next couple of minutes fanatically refreshing the first page of the achievement thread. Nothing was happening. I noticed that pootrain5 was still cranking some achievements. What timezone was this thing supposed to end in? Should I try to play until the west coast ends its run in March? After all, that is where the podcast is based out of... I briefly toyed with this notion but I was tired and the thought of playing more sports games was about as pleasant as swallowing a jar full of rusty tacks.

The next day my friends at work were waiting as soon as I came in to see if I was the biggest whore. Ironic coming from a bunch of WoW addicts. I booted up and looked at the forum. Still no update on the main page. I looked at the latest posts an saw the contest was going until April 1st 7est. I hoped vainly it was some sort of sick April fool's joke. Then I noticed pootrain5 was at it again chewing up my lead with Bionical. I was trapped at work. I would check about every hour and sure enough pootrain5 was 100 points closer every time.

I still had MLB 2K6 waiting at home. I really, really didn't want to play it. In addition to my new abject hatred of all sports games, I couldn't figure out how to play the game. It didn't have an instruction booklet and I couldn't find any menu for the controller setup. The only clue I had was the single tip the game offered when you were loading a game.

I did some quick mental math and figured I may able to squeeze 45 mins of gaming before seven. At pootrain5 current rate of play, I would need at least one achievement. Fuck. I had to play MLB.

That my friends is the story of my fall from gaming grace. It is also how I went from 4k to 16k achievements in one month without playing Fallout. The big number makes me happy. I think I can actually feel my ePeen growing. I lead my friends list. I am only slightly sickened if I look at that make up the score. Hopefully, in time I will bury those slutty games with quality games. You know what I mean, the sort of game that you wouldn't be ashamed to show to you mother.

Then again, GTA4 is a great game and my mom did not approved of my use of the ultra-violence and the old in-out. Never mind me. I off to see if I can find a cheap copy of Hanna Montana.
Bobloblaw

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics