Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: Red Dead Redemption

Postby Fallen_Angel » May 5th, 2010 @ 4:48pm

indieinsd wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:Which movie are you on in your marathon?

Ive watched THE SEARCHERS, THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD and THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. Going to watch the MAGNIFICENT SEVEN tonight. And maybe THE PROPOSITION, since it's available streaming on netflix.

What did you think of assassination of Jesse James? It's sitting on my table waiting to be watched. I'm watching Open Range as we speak, hoping it'll impress.
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby LiQuid » May 5th, 2010 @ 4:50pm

Open Range isn't stellar, but it has my single favorite shoot out in the history of westerns. It's fucking slow paced and visceral in the best ways imaginable.

EDIT: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Last edited by LiQuid on May 5th, 2010 @ 5:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
LiQuid

Postby dabeast0976 » May 5th, 2010 @ 4:53pm

Fallen_Angel wrote:
indieinsd wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:Which movie are you on in your marathon?

Ive watched THE SEARCHERS, THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD and THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. Going to watch the MAGNIFICENT SEVEN tonight. And maybe THE PROPOSITION, since it's available streaming on netflix.

What did you think of assassination of Jesse James? It's sitting on my table waiting to be watched. I'm watching Open Range as we speak, hoping it'll impress.

I hope your using it as a coaster for a pint because that is all it's good for. The pacing is so slow the tortoise crossed the finish line, did a victory lap and fucked the hare before Jesse James got killed.

edit: i'd rather watch Immortal again before this "classic".
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby indieinsd » May 5th, 2010 @ 6:13pm

dabeast0976 wrote:I hope your using it as a coaster for a pint because that is all it's good for. The pacing is so slow the tortoise crossed the finish line, did a victory lap and fucked the hare before Jesse James got killed.

edit: i'd rather watch Immortal again before this "classic".

It really depends on what you want from a Western. I really like the cinematography by Roger Deakins in JESSE JAMES, but it is slow paced and not like most Westerns. But it looks better and the world feels more fleshed out than almost any other Western. Like I said before it's more of a period piece, and it's about Robert Ford just as much as it is Jesse James. Thats why I think the title is so long (and film itself), to double bill both characters. Just don't expect a shit ton of shoot outs and robberies. If you want that shit go watch THE WILD BUNCH, or any of Sergio Leone's westerns.

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qp2ppYB9fDo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qp2ppYB9fDo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
indieinsd

Postby LiQuid » May 6th, 2010 @ 12:58am

Don't bother trying to defend yourself to the cinematic savages that reside at this forum, indie.
LiQuid

Postby indieinsd » May 6th, 2010 @ 12:30pm

LiQuid wrote:Don't bother trying to defend yourself to the cinematic savages that reside at this forum, indie.

NEVAR!
indieinsd

Postby dabeast0976 » May 6th, 2010 @ 1:55pm

indieinsd wrote:It really depends on what you want from a Western. I really like the cinematography by Roger Deakins in JESSE JAMES, but it is slow paced and not like most Westerns. But it looks better and the world feels more fleshed out than almost any other Western. Like I said before it's more of a period piece, and it's about Robert Ford just as much as it is Jesse James. Thats why I think the title is so long (and film itself), to double bill both characters. Just don't expect a shit ton of shoot outs and robberies. If you want that shit go watch THE WILD BUNCH, or any of Sergio Leone's westerns.

i wasn't expecting a ton of shootouts. I like well written and acted films (Cool Hand Luke and The Great Escape are two of my favorites). But the pacing of this movie was ridiculously slow and took away from any and all performances that Casey Affleck, Brad Pitt and Jeremy Renner had. This movie could have been half as long and twice as good if the director wasn't also the writer of the film. This screamed ego trip to me.

LiQuid wrote:Don't bother trying to defend yourself to the cinematic savages that reside at this forum, indie.

Immortal was a train wreck of a movie. Get over it. The writer was also the director for this film. Another ego trip.

edit: I want to mention i like Kevin Smith's work when he is writer and director. Why? Because he surrounds himself with people that will tell him if something sucks.
dabeast0976

Postby Fallen_Angel » May 6th, 2010 @ 3:59pm

dabeast0976 wrote:
Thumbs up to the first three choices. And 3:10 to Yuma was fantastic. However, if you can sit through the Assassination of Jesse James without doing one of the following you are a better man than I:

1. Fall asleep
2. Fast forward through more than 1/4 of the movie
3. Fall asleep
4. Wish you were watching anything else
5. Fall asleep.

Well I watched it today and could see why you found it boring. I liked it though. You knew how it was gonna end but the way the story unravels makes you think twice through the whole thing. Also don't understand why/how you'd fast forward any part of the movie, what's the point in watching it then?

Anyways latest (campaign) trailer is out, it's called REVOLUTION!

and FREE CO-OP DLC already announced!

http://kotaku.com/5531487/red-dead-rede ... ssion-pack
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby indieinsd » May 6th, 2010 @ 6:22pm

dabeast0976 wrote: This movie could have been half as long and twice as good if the director wasn't also the writer of the film. This screamed ego trip to me.

Man you must hate Tarantino films.
indieinsd

Postby dabeast0976 » May 7th, 2010 @ 6:10am

indieinsd wrote:
dabeast0976 wrote: This movie could have been half as long and twice as good if the director wasn't also the writer of the film. This screamed ego trip to me.

Man you must hate Tarantino films.

I don't hate them, i just don't like them. I consider him the Rob Liefeld of films. He lifts ideas and even whole scene shots from different films to make one film.
dabeast0976

Postby LiQuid » May 7th, 2010 @ 1:20pm

OMG. You can hogtie ladies and leave them on railroad tracks! If I can grow a mustache and wear a top hat, I may never need to play another video game as long as I live!!
LiQuid

Postby indieinsd » May 7th, 2010 @ 1:44pm

LiQuid wrote:OMG. You can hogtie ladies and leave them on railroad tracks! If I can grow a mustache and wear a top hat, I may never need to play another video game as long as I live!!

indieinsd

Postby indieinsd » May 7th, 2010 @ 1:57pm

I finished THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN last night
Spoiler: show
(DaBeast you'd probably hate it because it is a wholesale ripoff of SEVEN SAMURAI, it's not better but still good.)
it was pretty awesome. It's hard to not like a film with Steve McQueen in it. There are a bunch of things RED DEAD could pull into the game as missions, especially a 7 players only Co-op, defend the town scenario.
indieinsd

Postby dabeast0976 » May 8th, 2010 @ 6:51pm

indieinsd wrote:I finished THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN last night
Spoiler: show
(DaBeast you'd probably hate it because it is a wholesale ripoff of SEVEN SAMURAI, it's not better but still good.)
it was pretty awesome. It's hard to not like a film with Steve McQueen in it. There are a bunch of things RED DEAD could pull into the game as missions, especially a 7 players only Co-op, defend the town scenario.

Actually it is one of my favorite films wiseass. Can't go wrong with McQueen, Bronson and Brenner. It's not like it's shot for shot from a different (or a few different) film.
dabeast0976

Postby indieinsd » May 8th, 2010 @ 7:52pm

Watched THE PROPOSITION last night on Netflix. Good not great, wish we spent more time with the Burns Gang and less time with the Colonel and his wife. Pretty fucking brutal film though. Not a lot of stuff they could have in RED DEAD other than character design. Maybe headshots animation but I think Fallout 3 already did that.

FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, and RIO BRAVO for the weekend.
indieinsd

Postby dabeast0976 » May 9th, 2010 @ 6:23am

Gametrailers did a great show on Red Dead this weekend.

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/91
dabeast0976

Postby LiQuid » May 9th, 2010 @ 9:39am

Upsets me that video content creators have figured out how to disable it unless you whitelist them in Adblock. :(

Edit: Even more so when said ads lock up the motherfucking video...
LiQuid

Postby indieinsd » May 9th, 2010 @ 4:19pm

Man ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST is not Leone's best work, Morricone's score saves this because it is awesome. It's a good film but it has the single worst title credit at the end of a film, especially considering how well the opening titles are done. It's hard to believe that this film was made after THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jQ4bNTU965E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jQ4bNTU965E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Here's the end duel with Morricone's music, if you haven't seen it, just open it in a new tab and listen (close tab when you hear gun shots).
indieinsd

Postby aihuman » May 11th, 2010 @ 12:04pm

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/preorder#/bestbuy
Here's video of the various exclusive retail DLC.
aihuman

Postby Bobloblaw » May 11th, 2010 @ 12:26pm

aihuman wrote:[url]<a class="linkification-ext" href="http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/preorder#/bestbuy" title="Linkification: http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadred ... r#/bestbuy">http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/preorder#/bestbuy</a>[/url]
Here's video of the various exclusive retail DLC.

They are missing the credits for Amazon ($20) and GameStop ($10).
Bobloblaw

Postby Mr_eX » May 11th, 2010 @ 12:58pm

I heard there are cars in this game.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby aihuman » May 11th, 2010 @ 5:55pm

45.99 with free shipping at Buy.com.No exclusive DLC,though.
http://www.buy.com/prod/red-dead-redemption/q/loc/108/210851881.html?adid=17070
aihuman

Postby PantslessJedi » May 11th, 2010 @ 6:40pm

aihuman wrote:45.99 with free shipping at Buy.com.No exclusive DLC,though.
http://www.buy.com/prod/red-dead-redemption/q/loc/108/210851881.html?adid=17070

Wow, that's one hell of a deal.
PantslessJedi

Postby Jon Cole » May 13th, 2010 @ 7:21am

Amazon's deal is slightly better, coming from someone who's tied into Amazon's system pretty securely. $60, but you get a piece of DLC and a $20 gift card after it ships. And with Amazon Prime, I get it on release day.
Jon Cole

Postby indieinsd » May 13th, 2010 @ 7:34am

Jon Cole wrote:Amazon's deal is slightly better, coming from someone who's tied into Amazon's system pretty securely. $60, but you get a piece of DLC and a $20 gift card after it ships. And with Amazon Prime, I get it on release day.

Id have to agree, anyone with prime should really be buying games from Amazon.
indieinsd

Postby indieinsd » May 14th, 2010 @ 2:31pm

Still chance to change your pre-orders if you've got both consoles.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/14/red-dead-redemption-gets-exclusive-content-on-ps3/#continued

It doesn't look game changing, but if both versions run the same...

indieinsd

Postby indieinsd » May 18th, 2010 @ 12:10am

Watched BUTCH CASSIDY last night it was good. Kinda falls apart when they get to Bolivia but it was still good. Going to finish the marathon with THE WILD BUNCH tonight, and I'll sneak a couple in during playing thru Red Dead.
indieinsd

Postby Luke » May 18th, 2010 @ 8:32pm

I am loving the game so far, but it's really fucking annoying that the controls aren't really explained very well anywhere and I have to learn them via trial and error. The voice acting and writing is pretty impressive.
Luke

Postby dogridesturtle » May 18th, 2010 @ 8:59pm

Loving the game so far. Bravo, Rockstar. Bravo.
dogridesturtle

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » May 18th, 2010 @ 9:16pm

I'm not going to be able to play for awhile, my brother got his copy earlier but work has made it so he can't play.
BEARinaMANSUIT

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics