Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/18

Postby cool_wizard » May 26th, 2010 @ 1:02pm

WARNING! -incoming text wall-

ah! so I finally got the game a couple days ago. I ended up getting it for Xbox 360. Problem was that I had lent my 360 to a friend (he got dumped a while back, so I lent him the 360 so he could have something to do and keep his mind off the girl-troubles).

ANYWAYS, I call him up to say that I am going to pick up the 360, but he is like "we can play here instead, I have a bunch of chips and some beers and we can hang out". Of course I say yes, and totally wasn't thinking about "don't do any sidequests". Actually I did remember the contest, but it was really hard to say "SRRY we can't do any fun stuff because of the contest!", especially when your buddy is providing you with snacks and beer. So we ended up doing a bunch of non-main-storyline things in the game, going up in rank and what not in treasure hunting, survivaleering, sharpshooting and still no achievements! We even picked up a wanted - criminal, and still no achievements! Then woah! My dudes honor is maxed out and we get a duster-outfit, and STILL NO AWARDS!

And then we finally get the lasso. So we go out on a bounty hunt mission, and I lasso the bad dude, but then he gets shot and dies anyways but his body disappeared before I can get the "proof" that he died. So I go back to the sheriffs office to leave my and there is a yellow x there like it's mission complete so i walk up and the game thought that I had the outlaw alive. and uh, i got an achievement, and things just went downhill from there. I ended up getting another outfit + achievement, and even helped a stranger. So I guess that I'm out.

BUT! Some notes!

1. I will also be able to dump a Modnation Racers Promo-copy into the winnings-pot (or should I save it for the next contest maybe?)

2. It says on the cheat menu that if you turn on cheats that you can't get achievements. So... could you just turn on a cheat, get through the game w/o any awards and win this contest?
cool_wizard
User avatar
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Apr 14th, 2010 @ 3:50am
Location: sweden

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/18

Postby dabeast0976 » May 26th, 2010 @ 1:15pm

cool_wizard wrote:. I ended up getting another outfit + achievement, and even helped a stranger. So I guess that I'm out.


Just because you got an acheivement doesn't mean you're out. If you get six hundred and you are the last in the group you win. See? Besides there are some missions where achievements are thrust upon you. It is through these achievements that we know you finished the game (and why we make you post your image of the completed acheivement/trophy list from your profile).

cool_wizard wrote:
2. It says on the cheat menu that if you turn on cheats that you can't get achievements. So... could you just turn on a cheat, get through the game w/o any awards and win this contest?


We work on the honor system here. We trust each other not to cheat to win. We may yell, scream and curse at each other, but we trust each other. If you finish the game with no achievements we know you cheated and you are automatically out of the contest...and we will do whatever we can to make your life hell on the site. So no cheating. Also, the second rule of the contest states one playthrough on the default setting. Cheat is not the default setting.
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976
User avatar
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 6:14pm
Location: Queens, New York

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/18

Postby cool_wizard » May 26th, 2010 @ 1:31pm

dabeast0976 wrote:Besides there are some missions where achievements are thrust upon you. It is through these achievements that we know you finished the game


Yeah, but the only achievements that are thrust upon you are the ones that you get when you complete the real "story mode". You NEVER EVER have to help a stranger, and you NEVER EVER have to buy a new outfit or hunt animals or collect stuff. The main story quests are always distinguishable from sidequests so there should be no excuses for doing a sidequest. And if you are really nervous, just shoot the dude/lady talking to you in the game. If they die w/o anything happening, its okay, but if you get like a game over or something? then you know that they are important main quest material.

but still yeah! I gotta complete the game first! Who knows, maybe everybody is going to get tempted sooner or later in the game!
cool_wizard
User avatar
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Apr 14th, 2010 @ 3:50am
Location: sweden

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/18

Postby dabeast0976 » May 26th, 2010 @ 2:09pm

cool_wizard wrote:
dabeast0976 wrote:Besides there are some missions where achievements are thrust upon you. It is through these achievements that we know you finished the game


Yeah, but the only achievements that are thrust upon you are the ones that you get when you complete the real "story mode". You NEVER EVER have to help a stranger, and you NEVER EVER have to buy a new outfit or hunt animals or collect stuff. The main story quests are always distinguishable from sidequests so there should be no excuses for doing a sidequest. And if you are really nervous, just shoot the dude/lady talking to you in the game. If they die w/o anything happening, its okay, but if you get like a game over or something? then you know that they are important main quest material.

but still yeah! I gotta complete the game first! Who knows, maybe everybody is going to get tempted sooner or later in the game!


Exactly. You don't have to do anything but the story parts. No side quests. However, you go into the game thinking you are not going to do any quests to win the contest, then you get so engrossed in the story because the characters/writing are so damn good and the quests so much fun that you do it anyways.
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976
User avatar
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 6:14pm
Location: Queens, New York

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/18

Postby Mr_eX » May 26th, 2010 @ 2:50pm

cool_wizard wrote:I ended up getting another outfit + achievement, and even helped a stranger. So I guess that I'm out.

You don't have to come in first to win a prize
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/18

Postby kevinep3 » May 28th, 2010 @ 11:58am

as to playing it with cheats, if i remember correctly in gta4 you couldnt get any acheives or even have the game save with cheats on so i assume that the same thing would apply here so i dont think its possible to do it that way.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3
User avatar
 
Posts: 1758
Joined: Mar 10th, 2009 @ 6:19am
Location: Northwest Ct

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/18

Postby LiQuid » May 28th, 2010 @ 12:23pm

Beat it yesterday. Final gamerscore at the time of completion was 755. Let me know if I win!
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/18

Postby LiQuid » May 28th, 2010 @ 12:36pm

Also, I further feel bad for people participating in this, knowing that in the end, if you use the same file you used to beat it to actually play the game you have to MEGA ENDING SPOILER
Spoiler: show
play as Jack
:lol:
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/18

Postby Jehlro » May 28th, 2010 @ 3:20pm

Finished the game today with a 390 gamerscore and played under gamertag of salty cod. I'll probably go back and do some more stranger/side quests, but the ones I did do were either hit or miss.
Jehlro
User avatar
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Mar 24th, 2009 @ 3:40pm

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/18

Postby dabeast0976 » May 28th, 2010 @ 3:28pm

Jehlro wrote:Finished the game today with a 390 gamerscore and played under gamertag of salty cod. I'll probably go back and do some more stranger/side quests, but the ones I did do were either hit or miss.

Damn. Good shit. Havbe fun with the rest of the game. The hideouts are great.

EDIT: Not that it matters, but mine was 510
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976
User avatar
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 6:14pm
Location: Queens, New York

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/18

Postby LiQuid » May 28th, 2010 @ 5:29pm

Was 360GS already established as the minimum possible to complete the game with? If not I just used some motherfucking MATHS and did that myself!
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/18

Postby Jehlro » May 28th, 2010 @ 6:06pm

LiQuid wrote:Was 360GS already established as the minimum possible to complete the game with? If not I just used some motherfucking MATHS and did that myself!


Looking at my completed achievements I see four that could have possibly been passed up to get a score of 350, but I am not sure if Spurred to Victory and Clemency Pays are avoidable achievements. If they aren't then you are probably correct with your total.
Jehlro
User avatar
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Mar 24th, 2009 @ 3:40pm

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/18

Postby LiQuid » May 29th, 2010 @ 3:10am

Jehlro wrote:
LiQuid wrote:Was 360GS already established as the minimum possible to complete the game with? If not I just used some motherfucking MATHS and did that myself!


Looking at my completed achievements I see four that could have possibly been passed up to get a score of 350, but I am not sure if Spurred to Victory and Clemency Pays are avoidable achievements. If they aren't then you are probably correct with your total.

They are. I am. MATHS!
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/18

Postby Fallen_Angel » May 30th, 2010 @ 9:39am

Feel very sorry for those taking part in this comp. Missing the fuck out!
Afro
Fallen_Angel
User avatar
 
Posts: 960
Joined: Mar 24th, 2009 @ 10:53am

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/18

Postby dabeast0976 » May 31st, 2010 @ 8:47am

Fallen_Angel wrote:Feel very sorry for those taking part in this comp. Missing the fuck out!


Not really. he may have sub 400, but if the next guy has 560 he comes in second.
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976
User avatar
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 6:14pm
Location: Queens, New York

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/18

Postby Fallen_Angel » May 31st, 2010 @ 8:53am

dabeast0976 wrote:
Fallen_Angel wrote:Feel very sorry for those taking part in this comp. Missing the fuck out!


Not really. he may have sub 400, but if the next guy has 560 he comes in second.


yeah wasn't thinking straight when I wrote that. A lot of the big achievements are actually story based
Afro
Fallen_Angel
User avatar
 
Posts: 960
Joined: Mar 24th, 2009 @ 10:53am

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/18

Postby uppi17 » Jun 1st, 2010 @ 1:49am

Well I'm about halfway through and I can already tell I'm not going to win because:

Spoiler: show
I bought the elegant suit and also caught my bounty alive. The curse of being vain and wanting to be rich.


Plus I'm not sure I'll actually finish it in time, what with next weekend being my anniversary.
uppi17
User avatar
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Mar 30th, 2009 @ 11:14am
Location: Old York

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/25

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 1st, 2010 @ 8:15am

Decided to extend it a week.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/25

Postby bayfield » Jun 1st, 2010 @ 8:52am

this game is too awesome, i'm racing to complete all the achievements, but i see now that 1 achievement is going to require me playing through the game again (if i understand it correctly).. :?
"It's a rockstar vatican assassin torpedo of truth sent by a warlock" - KindGalaxy
bayfield
User avatar
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Mar 25th, 2009 @ 9:10am
Location: new jersey, usa

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/25

Postby IMLabman » Jun 1st, 2010 @ 6:48pm

<RANT>Oh my effing GOD! My copy of RDR finally arrived today...but I'm kinda pissed. They decided to send it via UPS and for some reason whenever I get packages delivered via UPS there is always import duties charged. I had to pay an extra $39 just to get it delivered. Well, I was thinking, okay it's not a total loss...at least I am getting a RDR shirt with it. The package arrived and my shirt wasn't there! I emailed Rockstar to see what's going on, but so far no response. Arrrrrrgh! :x </RANT>

I've only played a little of the game so far, but what I have played has been awesome. I've got 10G so far, but I can see myself straying from the contest and picking up more chievos. I'm a dirty little whore! :lol:
IMLabman
User avatar
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Mar 3rd, 2010 @ 4:25pm
Location: Labrador, Canada

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/25

Postby cool_wizard » Jun 2nd, 2010 @ 1:59pm

beat the game with a grand total of 505 achievement points. gamer tag is blackest wizard, but my "non-wireless" internet isn't working with me right now, so I can't update. I can still take pictures like back in the old school "send your high scores to our magazine" times.
cool_wizard
User avatar
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Apr 14th, 2010 @ 3:50am
Location: sweden

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/25

Postby cool_wizard » Jun 2nd, 2010 @ 2:11pm

IMLabman wrote:I get packages delivered via UPS there is always import duties charged


wot? Did you have to import the game to play it in canada? Whats the deal with that? Is it not available in regular stores or what? Kinda funny because I usually order form a canadian site when I need to import games to here.
cool_wizard
User avatar
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Apr 14th, 2010 @ 3:50am
Location: sweden

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/25

Postby IMLabman » Jun 2nd, 2010 @ 6:38pm

cool_wizard wrote:
IMLabman wrote:I get packages delivered via UPS there is always import duties charged


wot? Did you have to import the game to play it in canada? Whats the deal with that? Is it not available in regular stores or what? Kinda funny because I usually order form a canadian site when I need to import games to here.


No, no...they have it here in Canada. But I'm in a small community (less than 350 people) in Northern Canada, so wherever I order it from it would take at least a couple of weeks to get here. I looked at all the pre-order bonuses before ordering my copy of RDR, and the free t-shirt seemed like the best bonus for me, so I ordered directly from Rockstar. If Rockstar had sent it USPostalService it would have made it here fine with no duties, but for some UPS packages always get charged a shit load.
IMLabman
User avatar
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Mar 3rd, 2010 @ 4:25pm
Location: Labrador, Canada

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/25

Postby Isaiah » Jun 2nd, 2010 @ 9:15pm

im in. PSN is IsaiahTheProphet
Isaiah
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Jan 10th, 2010 @ 2:14am

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/25

Postby kevinep3 » Jun 6th, 2010 @ 10:09pm

so i think i just beat this but im not sure, im on ps3(kevinep331) so could whoever's in charge check for me plz and thanks
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3
User avatar
 
Posts: 1758
Joined: Mar 10th, 2009 @ 6:19am
Location: Northwest Ct

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/25

Postby LiQuid » Jun 6th, 2010 @ 11:24pm

kevinep3 wrote:so i think i just beat this but im not sure, im on ps3(kevinep331) so could whoever's in charge check for me plz and thanks

If you didn't see the ending credits roll you haven't beaten the game yet. Keep on truckin'
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/25

Postby kevinep3 » Jun 7th, 2010 @ 9:13am

LiQuid wrote:
kevinep3 wrote:so i think i just beat this but im not sure, im on ps3(kevinep331) so could whoever's in charge check for me plz and thanks

If you didn't see the ending credits roll you haven't beaten the game yet. Keep on truckin'

well theres nothing marking anything as to where to go for the next mission
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3
User avatar
 
Posts: 1758
Joined: Mar 10th, 2009 @ 6:19am
Location: Northwest Ct

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/25

Postby LiQuid » Jun 7th, 2010 @ 9:25am

Wander a bit. It's really not hard to find.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/25

Postby kevinep3 » Jun 7th, 2010 @ 12:04pm

ok just beat it, equated my trophys to the acheivment points and i came out to 370
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3
User avatar
 
Posts: 1758
Joined: Mar 10th, 2009 @ 6:19am
Location: Northwest Ct

Re: Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest 5/18-6/25

Postby cool_wizard » Jun 7th, 2010 @ 3:44pm

kevinep3 wrote:ok just beat it, equated my trophys to the acheivment points and i came out to 370


wow nice job there! How many hours did you clock in on your run?
cool_wizard
User avatar
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Apr 14th, 2010 @ 3:50am
Location: sweden

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Options

Return to Games

cron