Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Final Fantasy: The Thread

Postby Konanda » Jan 14th, 2011 @ 8:41pm

Apparently some company that registers domain names for Square-Enix registered this domain. http://finalfantasy13-2game.com

Here is a news article about it from 1up
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Re: Final Fantasy XIII-2?

Postby kenzo » Jan 14th, 2011 @ 9:50pm

What I think is more surprising is that there hasn't been a proper Final Fantasy XII-2 (although I understand that Revenant Wings was basically XII-2). XIII-2 would be nice as long as there's a decent story this time.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Jan 14th, 2011 @ 10:06pm

kenzo wrote:What I think is more surprising is that there hasn't been a proper Final Fantasy XII-2 (although I understand that Revenant Wings was basically XII-2). XIII-2 would be nice as long as there's a decent story this time.

Revenant Wings was cool although getting the 100% extra ending is ssssssssssssoooooooooo not worth it. Ugh so much grinding.
Konanda

Postby kevinep3 » Jan 14th, 2011 @ 10:56pm

I dont want this unless this one is good like XII or X. Actually I wish they would up rez with trophys or remake both of those games but not X-2, that game was terrible.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby kenzo » Jan 15th, 2011 @ 1:27am

X-2 was actually a good game, mechanically. The only problem was that the YRP-nonsense was insufferable. Honestly, X-2 will probably mark the beginning of the end for SquareEnix. That company is so creatively bankrupt that it's insane.
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Jan 15th, 2011 @ 2:18pm

And a thousand words.. have never be spoken... suspended on SILVER WINGS!

I like the idea of a sequel to 13 but you guys want to know something shitty. Yesterday, just four days away from LittleBigPlanet 2, there was a power outage while I was playing FF13(just got to Gran Pulse, "the good part") and now my PS3 is fucked up. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I need to experiment more but the first thing I noticed was that FF13 wasn't on the XMB while it was in the drive. So I ejected it and re-inserted it and it reappeared. But when I boot it up it only gets past the Square Enix logo and stayed on a black screen for a few moments. I tried to access the XMB and it wouldn't load. This seems to be the real problem because I put in LBP1 and I was able to play the game fine. But when it came time quit out of it I had to manually turn off the PS3, as if it crashed(though I could see the upper right "loading" symbol working). I figured the blu ray lens is failing but I tried Battlefield 1943 off the hard drive and I couldn't quit out of it through the XMB. Later I tried playing the Star Trek Blu-Ray and it wouldn't load. The screen only went black for a few seconds and it took me to an empty version of the XMB so I had to turn it off again. I never get any type of error code.

Does the Blu-Ray lens always affect the XMB even if it's not being used? I've yet to try DVDs. I was thinking of making a thread about this but I figure it wasn't worth it.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Jan 15th, 2011 @ 3:57pm

If the XMB is having issues, it might be that your HDD is crapping out.
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Jan 15th, 2011 @ 6:41pm

I thought it might of been the HHD too but since all the videos on my PS3 played I thought it didn't. But it seems you we right cause I turned the PS3 now and it told me it had to reconfigure the Hard Drive and now it's working fine. Hopefully it doesn't crap out and I can actually finish FF13.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Jan 15th, 2011 @ 6:49pm

I know you don't got a lot of dinero lately Darfox, but you should think about buying a replacement HDD asap, and backing up the stuff you value during the interim. I basically had the same thing happen to me a few years ago (the Seagate HDDs in the early PS3s were garbage) and lost all my data in a heartbreaking event.
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Jan 15th, 2011 @ 7:17pm

I already replaced the hard drive once, purely for the space(I have a launch 20gig). It gave me trouble the moment I finished the operation. Sometimes when I turn it on it says "Cannot start incorrect hard drive found". But when I reboot it, it works. This happens every few days and sometime I have to reboot it multiple times. After writing this I feel like I sustained an injury and refuse to go to the doctor, even though the wound is clearly infected. I do, however, have an external hard drive I use to occasionally save the files of the games I currently play.(but it's way too small to house the mammoth amount of shows and movies I have on my PS3, so I can't just auto back up)

Anywaaay... I remember Patrick saying that nothing happens in the FF13 story. Is this true, cause if it was a sequel would make alot of sense. Like how a TV show always returns to normal before the next episode.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Jan 15th, 2011 @ 7:46pm

There is seriously no story to speak of in FFXIII.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Jan 15th, 2011 @ 10:25pm

kenzo wrote:There is seriously no story to speak of in FFXIII.

Did you read the database articles? It makes what is happening and the world itself make more sense at least at the point I'm at.
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Jan 16th, 2011 @ 3:46am

I stopped reading them because I was like, "this kind of bullshit should just be mentioned through the course of the game." The problem is, that information is kind of crutial to following the plot to begin with. I don't like to play this card very often, but that's bad game design. If you're going to offer extra info like that to expand the plot, do it like Peace Walker, where:
1.) The information is easily digestible. Instead of reading boring and poorly written prose, give it to us in a more entertaining format like an audio log (like in Bioshock), or like in Peace Walker with recordings of mission debriefing/conversations with other characters.
2.) Don't leave crucial information about who is what out of the main story. Those those kinds of things shouldn't be key to following or explaining the plot's main thrust.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Jan 16th, 2011 @ 9:10am

kenzo wrote:I stopped reading them because I was like, "this kind of bullshit should just be mentioned through the course of the game." The problem is, that information is kind of crutial to following the plot to begin with. I don't like to play this card very often, but that's bad game design. If you're going to offer extra info like that to expand the plot, do it like Peace Walker, where:
1.) The information is easily digestible. Instead of reading boring and poorly written prose, give it to us in a more entertaining format like an audio log (like in Bioshock), or like in Peace Walker with recordings of mission debriefing/conversations with other characters.
2.) Don't leave crucial information about who is what out of the main story. Those those kinds of things shouldn't be key to following or explaining the plot's main thrust.

Ya it's not as great an implementation as my favourite implementation of written story in a game, which is Lost Odyssey's unlockable short stories. Although those just served to develop the immortal characters [mainly Kaim] and are not critical to the story.
Konanda

Postby darfox8 » Jan 16th, 2011 @ 1:12pm

As I said I just got to Gran Pulse and I understand whats going on in the story but I'm not sure why. I think it was because I was following this game for so long.

I'm still skeptical of this game not having a story. I mean the Hope arc was a story(the stuff with his mom and then his dad), the reveal right before you get to Gran Pulse was story(even though it's kinda random). So unless the stuff that happens next is actually less substantial of what has come before then I can't see this game missing a story.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Jan 16th, 2011 @ 2:17pm

darfox8 wrote:As I said I just got to Gran Pulse and I understand whats going on in the story but I'm not sure why. I think it was because I was following this game for so long.

I'm still skeptical of this game not having a story. I mean the Hope arc was a story(the stuff with his mom and then his dad), the reveal right before you get to Gran Pulse was story(even though it's kinda random). So unless the stuff that happens next is actually less substantial of what has come before then I can't see this game missing a story.
It is severely less substansial. Here's what happens:
Spoiler: show
You aimlessly wonder around Gran Pulse until you make it to Vanille's broken hometown. Then, out of nowhere, a fal'Cle attacks. You beat it. It gives you the means to go back to Cocoon. You go back to Cocoon. You fight through monsters attacking the city. Then you fight the final boss. Then your party refuses to destroy Cocoon, and then gets turned into monsters. Then, out of PURE LOVE AND STRONG WILL, they turn back into people. Then, for reasons I can't understand, they power down cocoon, which causes the city to fall from the sky, which would end up killing everyone. Then, out of more PURE LOVE AND STRONG WILL, Vanille and Fang decide to save the day, using means I don't fully understand and isn't sufficiently explained. They encase Cocoon (and themselves) in a bunch of crystals which props Cocoon up (which, as it turns out, ends up looking a lot like the game's titular logo). And again, for reasons I don't really understand or are poorly explained, everyone who was crystallized before turns back into being normal people.

The whole plot of the game boils down to a group of random people, who travel to random locales, searching (mostly in vain) for a way to lift their virtual death sentences. They don't make any appreciable progress along the way, but they do spend the vast majority of the game's dialog talking almost exclusively about their feelings and motivations.

It's basically what you'd get if you made a game that consisted of only the camping sections of the last Harry Potter book, and removed the rest of the seven books that give the camping section meaning, context, and backstory.
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Jan 16th, 2011 @ 2:42pm

Bummer, I still enjoying the game play and the general audio-visual-experience so I plan of finishing it, but that almost sounds like an anti-FF game or something.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Jan 16th, 2011 @ 3:10pm

darfox8 wrote:Bummer, I still enjoying the game play and the general audio-visual-experience so I plan of finishing it, but that almost sounds like an anti-FF game or something.
I still enjoyed it on that level as well, and is actually the first FF game in a long time that I've beaten without giving up on, borrowing a save file, or using cheat codes. I think that says something for the game. I enjoyed the combat and the A/V experience as well.

And it's not really anti-FF, just anti-modern FF. In a lot of ways, FF13 is a very classical FF - simple battle mechanics, not a lot of story to speak of, emphasis on exploration and monster killing, etc.

But as a game that tries to tell a story, it's an absolute failure.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Jan 18th, 2011 @ 4:30am

So, someone leaked a picture of the logo for this game, making it totally official. And apparently it'll be out sometime this year as well (in Japan at least). I'm actually kind of excited for this game actually. Like I mentioned before, FF10-2 was a pretty good game for reusing a bunch of art assets in a small time frame. FFXIII-2 will have had a much longer time frame to develop a halfway decent game/story. Plus, if I remember correctly, they made about twice as many environments for XIII than were actually in the game because shit got left on the chopping room floor - they could use a lot of those and make the sequel something that doesn't feel repetitive.

Also, apparently Type-0 is actually Agito XIII. Go figure, eh?
kenzo

Postby James-Kond » Jan 18th, 2011 @ 9:16am

Leaked trailer:
[youtube]ObiaNbDtF3Y?fs[/youtube]
Small spoilers for XIII I guess?
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond

Postby LiQuid » Jan 18th, 2011 @ 11:43am

God Square Enix is the absolute laughing stock of the game industry.
LiQuid

Postby lemon-fresh » Jan 18th, 2011 @ 12:10pm

nerd rage incoming
lemon-fresh

Postby LiQuid » Jan 18th, 2011 @ 12:15pm

Nerd rage from who? People who have given up on FF are going to ignore this one as well. People who blindly love everything S-E puts out are going to love this one as well. People that had their hearts broken by how godawful FFXIII turned out are going to buy this one anyways because it still says Final Fantasy on the cover.
LiQuid

Postby darfox8 » Jan 18th, 2011 @ 12:26pm

FF13 is an OK game. I kinda lost steam on it once I hit Gran Pulse(ironic, right?) but I think this official announcement reinvigorated me on it. I think I'm going to do minimal side stuff and go for the throat and later come back to it. I really want to see the teaser but apparent it manages to have spoilers for however brief it is, so I'll watch it later.

Either way the Versus 13 Trailer looks really cool and I'm eager to know and see more. Although I dislike the brand of characters, kinda dark and brooding, they just seem more douchbaggy than the regular 13 characters(who aren't spectacular to being with).
darfox8

Postby lemon-fresh » Jan 18th, 2011 @ 12:31pm

LiQuid wrote:Nerd rage from who? People who have given up on FF are going to ignore this one as well. People who blindly love everything S-E puts out are going to love this one as well. People that had their hearts broken by how godawful FFXIII turned out are going to buy this one anyways because it still says Final Fantasy on the cover.

people who feel the need to defend everything square puts out are going to defend this one as well
lemon-fresh

Postby kevinep3 » Jan 18th, 2011 @ 12:34pm

Fuck Square Enix for not having anything about VersusXIII, that one actually looks like it could be good. Dammit these guys piss me off
kevinep3

Postby darfox8 » Jan 18th, 2011 @ 1:10pm

They had a trailer...
darfox8

Postby LiQuid » Jan 18th, 2011 @ 1:18pm

kevinep3 wrote:VersusXIII, that one actually looks like it could be good. Dammit these guys piss me off

I LOVE this kind of post and Square Enix seems to be a magnet for them. Explain to me please, Kevin how a game with virtually nothing known about it "looks like it could be good." What about it looks good to you so far?
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 18th, 2011 @ 1:24pm

Must...buy...
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kevinep3 » Jan 18th, 2011 @ 1:25pm

LiQuid wrote:
kevinep3 wrote:VersusXIII, that one actually looks like it could be good. Dammit these guys piss me off

I LOVE this kind of post and Square Enix seems to be a magnet for them. Explain to me please, Kevin how a game with virtually nothing known about it "looks like it could be good." What about it looks good to you so far?

well i mean the graphics look good, and thats pretty much all im basing that off right now. also, isnt the guy who is making the same guy that made some other good games or something?
kevinep3

Next
Forum Statistics