Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: Final Fantasy: The Thread

Postby LiQuid » Dec 15th, 2015 @ 12:29pm

Like I said. I love grinding. It's what makes a good RPG addictive to me. It's the reason I've hopped from one MMO to the other practically my entire adult life. It's the reason I spend hundreds of hours in games that should only take a few dozen. But I want that grind to be as non taxing to me as possible without it just being Progress Quest or Clicker Heroes where I literally just watch numbers go up on a screen. FF12's is perfect. I have to like, use the analog stick to move my people in the general vicinity of monsters and then they just do the rest. I don't have to wait for some pre-fight transitional animation to play out, or a loading screen before I can hit "auto fight" have the fight resolve in 5 seconds and then wait for another animation and a reward/loading screen to get out of it. I just wander thru areas and my dudes get power. Perfection. The gold standard that all RPGs should strive for.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Jan 13th, 2016 @ 7:55pm

It's not the grind I like, it's the maxing out the characters. If the grind is just infinite, I have no interest in participating in it.

But give me a Job system where every character can master every job and learn every spell and ability and I'm on board.

Randomly generated loot instead of ultimate weapons and armor? Get out of here with that shit.
DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » Jun 5th, 2016 @ 6:52pm

So, I've been playing Bravely Second. I'm not super far into it, but I kinda want to go on a rant here.

Spoilers for the original game ahead to set the stage for this complaint:
Spoiler: show
So, everyone's big complaint about the first game is the structure of the second half of the game. You spend the first half of the game making your way around the world trying to reactivate the four crystals. At that point, the game introduces you having to travel to alternate worlds where you basically have to do the same thing in 4 more worlds in order to get to the real ending. And while there's 4 times as much of the game here, it's really only the 2nd half of the game because you have the airship at that point, so it goes much faster.

The problem of course, is that these alternate worlds, are all the same as the first world. It's got all the same towns, same terrain, same dungeons. The monsters are all stronger, but in true FF fashion, they're just palette swaps of earlier monsters. The only thing that's different, is the characters. Each world has all the same characters, but they have completely different personalities. A character that was a villainous asshole in one world might be a noble hero in the next one. If you're a fan of superhero comics, it's basically the same as an elseworlds story.

Now, don't get me wrong, I can totally understand why people would hate that, and it's definitely lazy. But I didn't have a huge problem with it. It was fun getting to interact with all those character(most of which you kill in the first world) in all these different ways.

Okay, so there's that. So, we're on to the second game at this point and here's the problem:
Spoiler: show
IT'S THE EXACT SAME SHIT AGAIN!!

The game takes place, like, 2 years after the first game in the same place. It's a ton of the same characters(a lot of which shouldn't be alive btw...), and the world is exactly the same. Yeah, there are some new locations, and a few things have changed, but most of it hasn't changed. I'm even going through the same dungeons again.

I seriously can't believe that this is happening. That they took the thing everyone complained about with the first game and are DOUBLING DOWN ON IT. Like I said, I gave that shit a pass in the first game, but this is supposed to be A NEW FUCKING GAME, and instead, it feels like DLC for the first game.

In all fairness though, I'm not super far into the game, so for all I know, the game actually goes to other places later on. But so far, it's just me making my way around the same world map from the first game again.

That said, I still loved the first game's mechanics. And this is more of that, and I still love it. Job system 4 lyfe.
DarthEnder

Postby Rodney » Jun 6th, 2016 @ 1:14pm

Rodney

Postby kenzo » Jun 6th, 2016 @ 3:07pm

It still bothers me that games with closed book stories like FFX or FF7 games with shit stories like FF13 were the ones to get a plethora of sequels and not FF12 that had a huge unexplored world/my this and desperately could have used more got shafted.

Glad we'll finally be able to cross this one off the bucket list now. Maybe I'll finally beat this game now? (Lol probably not)
kenzo

Postby meDotJS » Jun 6th, 2016 @ 4:06pm

How long until it gets announced on the PC? It's now the only released main series Final Fantasy to not get a PC release.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby kevinep3 » Jun 6th, 2016 @ 6:24pm

Best FF game
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby DarthEnder » Jun 14th, 2016 @ 6:15am

Boy, watching 15 videos at E3, that game could not possibly look less like something I want to play.
DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 26th, 2017 @ 11:19am

I love Gumball so goddamn much...

DarthEnder

Previous
Forum Statistics