Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: Final Fantasy: The Thread

Postby Konanda » Dec 2nd, 2013 @ 11:37pm

Going through Haukke Manor was fun. Haunted house kind of thing, kind of want to do it again to see if my character will get some drops this time. Was kind of a bummer where on the boss I got instakilled when it was down to like 5% health by two adds and the boss focusing me all at once.

Probably gonna get the Warrior job first since I'm so close. (lvl 30 Maurader quest and the Warrior Job quest left along with 30 minutes of grinding on Gladiator)

Contemplating on also getting Pugilist up to level 4 to 8 first as well (which shouldn't take long) since the Evasion and self-cure abilities gained at those levels are usable by Warrior.

BTW for the big 2.1 patch it appears that the launch date is December 17th. (two weeks) Also I dig that they'll be letting you put more stuff in the Armoire including seasonal stuff. Its kind of annoying when you either have to dump off vanity gear on your Retainer or just be constantly out of room in the Armory system (specifically the main hand) if you decide to take on other classes (including crafting and gathering ones) Apparently there is going to be a Christmas event as well so that is cool.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby Konanda » Dec 11th, 2013 @ 7:39pm

NEXT TUESDAY GET HYPE!

Also for people interested in Crafting/Gathering this is a great resource for figuring out what are the best Leves or what kind of materials you'll need to get your craft on and such. http://craftingasaservice.com/
Konanda

Postby Konanda » Dec 16th, 2013 @ 8:00pm

ITS COMING TOMORROW!!!!! Also you can download the update right now although servers are down for maintenance until tomorrow.

Also I don't think the Blades of Judgement will be getting a house anytime soon. Here is the starting prices on Ultros for housing. Every 6 hours it will go down by 0.14%.

Fifth-class Plot Fourth-class Plot Third-class Plot Second-class Plot First-class Plot
Small 8,000,000 8,500,000 9,000,000 9,800,000 10,000,000
Medium 30,000,000 31,875,000 33,750,000 35,625,000 37,500,000
Large 100,000,000 106,250,000 112,500,000 118,750,000 125,000,000

*Edit: Changed the percentage being reduced to the proper value.
Last edited by Konanda on Dec 18th, 2013 @ 7:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konanda

Postby totoro » Dec 17th, 2013 @ 2:54am

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro

Postby Konanda » Dec 18th, 2013 @ 10:19pm

Thanks meant to post that with my other post. Also they don't mention this but the patch has a bunch of excellent UI updates particularly to the map and the ability to resize hotbars and other HUD elements, along with consolidating some of the menus.
Konanda

Postby Konanda » Dec 19th, 2013 @ 5:35pm

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2013/The_Starlight_Celebration/

Christmas Event! Time to get you some crazy Snowman, Santa, and Caribou vanity and Caribou barding.

You have to do one of three FATEs near the cities of Limsa Lomimsa, Ul'dah or Gridania to get the items (Eternal Ice) to trade in for it. (find the locations here) Do it three times and you'll have enough to afford all the vanity equipment/barding with some left over for the Christmas themed food. The FATE shows up at every half hour or so and all three of them seem to show up at the same time, so to get everything is about an hour and a half.

Also keep in mind this seasonal event only runs until the end of the year.
Konanda

Postby Konanda » Dec 21st, 2013 @ 11:03am

>Mined a bunch (aprox 130 each) of the new Potter's Clay and Limestone crafting materials for housing to sell on the marketplace last night.
>Woke up this morning and fuckers are already undercutting me by 5 gil.
>Time to crash this shit.
>Drop the price by 20%. (approx. 40 gil for Potter's Clay normal quality and 60 gil high quality and 20 for Limestone normal quality and 35 high quality)
>They do it again it's another 20%.

Edit: Got undercut again on Potter's Clay by 20 girl dropped the price by another 20 gil.

Price has gone from 200 gil to 130 gil in the space of 2 hours. Burn the marketplace and salt the ground.
Konanda

Postby Master Higgins » Dec 21st, 2013 @ 12:40pm

Finally got some time to play! Finished the quest where you have to choose your Grand Company (chose Girdania, my starting zone), started grinding some CG leves to get my chocobo!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Konanda » Dec 21st, 2013 @ 2:14pm

Master Higgins wrote:Finally got some time to play! Finished the quest where you have to choose your Grand Company (chose Girdania, my starting zone), started grinding some CG leves to get my chocobo!

If you picked up a crafting or gathering class you can do the daily supply and provisioning missions for Grand Company seals as well. Also beating FATEs and Dungeons will award seals. Also you should try to do the Duty Roulette, it's allowed once a day and will stick you in a random Dungeon you went through previously and award you with enough exp to go up 50% to 75% of your level along with some additional Gil and Seals.

I've actually maxed out my rank in my Grand Company (Maelstrom, because pirate bro) at the moment because of how many damn seals I had. Need to get to 44 and do a quest before I can get further. However, it's all good since I have access to buying the level 2 Company Issue Engineering Manual (crafting 50% exp booster for 3 hours/40,000 exp) and level 2 Company Issue Survival Manual (gathering 50% exp booster for same duration/exp amount), so if I get towards the cap in the meantime I can just buy them, or maybe gear. I have like 2 pieces of gear I need to get up to snuff + accessories.
Konanda

Postby Konanda » Dec 21st, 2013 @ 2:31pm

Konanda wrote:>Mined a bunch (aprox 130 each) of the new Potter's Clay and Limestone crafting materials for housing to sell on the marketplace last night.
>Woke up this morning and fuckers are already undercutting me by 5 gil.
>Time to crash this shit.
>Drop the price by 20%. (approx. 40 gil for Potter's Clay normal quality and 60 gil high quality and 20 for Limestone normal quality and 35 high quality)
>They do it again it's another 20%.

Edit: Got undercut again on Potter's Clay by 20 girl dropped the price by another 20 gil.

Price has gone from 200 gil to 130 gil in the space of 2 hours. Burn the marketplace and salt the ground.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All of my Potter's Clay sold two hours later, (probably by somebody that will try listing it back at 200 gil) but now two assholes are undercutting my Limestone by 1 Gil. Time to drop the price by 20 Gil because fuck them! I'll bring the price all the way down to 10 gil if need be. (going to be 60 right now)

Going to make sure bitches know not to start a price war with me. You want to make a profit on Ultros on an item I'm selling? Your going to sit back and watch me make mine first!
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Dec 22nd, 2013 @ 10:31pm

TIL: Konanda is not a nice person, and Dakazu is a total asshole. Jen & Rodney are OK though.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Dec 23rd, 2013 @ 12:18am

kenzo wrote:TIL: Konanda is not a nice person, and Dakazu is a total asshole. Jen & Rodney are OK though.

? I'm confused, are you Nalih Fujibashi, the random mysterious person who added me out of nowhere in FFXIV? Invites from random people in videogames make me cautious. I ended up friending them anyway cause they seemed alright, and didn't have some kind of ill intent. It's hard to judge somebody on 5 sentences of text.
Konanda

Postby darfox8 » Dec 23rd, 2013 @ 3:23pm

I'm so conflicted. The kencho wants me to play the FF14s nao but I want to play it on PS4, which comes out in like four months. It's not cross buy so it'll be wasted money. I already have a shit load of games on my PS3 that is preventing me from PS4ing it up and an MMO is not going help that. I wish Star Trek Online was on consoles.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby darfox8 » Dec 23rd, 2013 @ 5:19pm

Wait a tick... this is actually cross buy, I'm reading now. Mayhaps FF14 will grace me PS Triple some time soon.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby totoro » Dec 23rd, 2013 @ 8:57pm

darfox8 wrote:Wait a tick... this is actually cross buy, I'm reading now. Mayhaps FF14 will grace me PS Triple some time soon.

Well, it's "cross buy" as in you can upgrade without charge, but I don't think you can use the PS3 copy after you activate the PS4 version. Probably just semantics and you likely won't try to do that, but I thought it was worth mentioning in case anyone might be confused about it (at least, this is my understanding how it's going to work).
totoro

Postby dakazu » Dec 24th, 2013 @ 2:42am

darfox8 wrote:I'm so conflicted. The kencho wants me to play the FF14s nao but I want to play it on PS4, which comes out in like four months. It's not cross buy so it'll be wasted money. I already have a shit load of games on my PS3 that is preventing me from PS4ing it up and an MMO is not going help that. I wish Star Trek Online was on consoles.

Considering your laptop is ancient and probably can't run it anyway, I would consider waiting.
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Dec 24th, 2013 @ 3:10am

totoro wrote:
darfox8 wrote:Wait a tick... this is actually cross buy, I'm reading now. Mayhaps FF14 will grace me PS Triple some time soon.

Well, it's "cross buy" as in you can upgrade without charge, but I don't think you can use the PS3 copy after you activate the PS4 version. Probably just semantics and you likely won't try to do that, but I thought it was worth mentioning in case anyone might be confused about it (at least, this is my understanding how it's going to work).

dakazu wrote:
darfox8 wrote:I'm so conflicted. The kencho wants me to play the FF14s nao but I want to play it on PS4, which comes out in like four months. It's not cross buy so it'll be wasted money. I already have a shit load of games on my PS3 that is preventing me from PS4ing it up and an MMO is not going help that. I wish Star Trek Online was on consoles.

Considering your laptop is ancient and probably can't run it anyway, I would consider waiting.

Both of you dummies are off your rockers.

1) If darfox upgrades from ps3 to ps4 version... why would he even care if he can't access the ps3 version after that? Once he has the ps4 version why would he ever go back?

2) Dakazu... it's like you didn't even read what darfox wrote. He's looking to get the game on ps3, not pc. All versions share the same servers, so we can play with him just the same.
kenzo

Postby totoro » Dec 24th, 2013 @ 4:18am

That's why I was saying that he probably wouldn't do that, but I wanted to clarify in case someone else was reading the boards and wanted to basically do the same, but might want to have the PS3 version as a version they could play in another room if they're in a situation where they can't always play on the PS4. It's probably a long shot that information could be useful here since the number of people who use/read the boards is relatively small, but I wanted to throw it out there on the off chance.
totoro

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 22nd, 2014 @ 8:40pm

So I've been playing a bunch of Bravely Default. And mechanically, it's pretty much everything I used to love about Final Fantasy games.

It's sad that none of this stuff is in mainline FF games anymore. But if Squareenix is going to spin this off into it's own franchise, then I guess I can be satisfied with just playing this. And I can finally just give up on the main FF games.

Hopefully in the future, they'll bring the story up to the level of FF6 or Chronotrigger. That's the one thing about those 16-bit RPGs that this game is still lacking in.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Feb 22nd, 2014 @ 9:56pm

I dunno I figure I cared about JRPG stories when I was twelve, but the best among them couldn't hope to hold my attention as an adult. All those stories we remember fondly are tired ass bullshit now. The best JRPGs to me are always going to be judged on the virtue of their mechanics. Either you want to grind job levels for dozens/hundreds of hours or you don't. I can't think of any story they could tell me that would make me feel otherwise.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 23rd, 2014 @ 12:42am

LiQuid wrote:I dunno I figure I cared about JRPG stories when I was twelve, but the best among them couldn't hope to hold my attention as an adult.
That's why it's great being a stupid manbaby. It allows you to continue liking things.

LiQuid wrote:The best JRPGs to me are always going to be judged on the virtue of their mechanics. Either you want to grind job levels for dozens/hundreds of hours or you don't. I can't think of any story they could tell me that would make me feel otherwise.
Well, what made those games stick with me was the stories.

The fact that I really enjoyed the mechanics as well was just a bonus.

There's plenty of game's that I like the gameplay of. It's the things that do both that become my favorite games ever. And games like FF6 and CT are definitely two of those games.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Nov 30th, 2015 @ 5:10pm

Jumped back into my 20+ hour play thru of FFXII:IZJS that I started a few years ago and never got around to continuing. Still love it.

I kind of wish they didn't lock your team into their jobs when you pick them. I think I used a guide or FAQ when I started this game to determine the "optimal" job for each character, but I would like to be able to mess around with the other jobs. It sucks, for instance, that I don't have a proper time mage to use haste, which is a pretty OP ability in this game.

In other Final Fantasy news, during Black Friday weekend shenanigans I picked up copies of both FFXIII, which I'm pretty sure I at one point in my life swore I'd never play, and don't really see that changing, and FFIV After Years, which I'm pretty sure I at one point in my life swore I'd never play, and don't really see that changing.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Dec 1st, 2015 @ 10:32am

They lock each character into different jobs? Why did they think that was a good idea over the OP, broken, and AMAZING job board system? If you're gonna put in the time to grind, you should be rewarded with your party members being able to cast every spell in the game, and use every weapon godammit. Squeenix is so retarded sometimes. I hope when they release an HD version of XII they don't bring over IZJS - the more I read about it the more I hate it. Vanilla onry!

After grindan more last night I might try to finish this game finally - I've only been on and off with it over what .. 9 years?

Oh man, you gotta play XIII. It'll bring out the weeb in you!
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Dec 1st, 2015 @ 11:35am

I haven't beaten 12 since it came out so I don't remember the specifics of it, but I remember it going crazy at the end, in a bad way. It gets up its own ass a bit with all the mystical crystal nonsense. But playing thru it now, I can't imagine it being bad enough to spoil the bulk of the game. Between all the politicking and the amazing localization and voice cast, this was pretty much my dream story for a main line Final Fantasy game. The personalities and relationships between almost every character is awesome. Even the judges, who you think are going to be nameless, faceless ass kickers, turn into a handful of really well developer characters.

I honestly still don't think I'll ever play FF13. Over the weekend I read up about it a bit and refreshed my memories of why the game sounded so bad to me when it came out. Wish I had done that before I plunked down 4 of my hard earned dollar bills on it. I also blame kenzo for not properly talking me out of it. That dude owes me $4 as far as I'm concerned.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Dec 1st, 2015 @ 12:28pm

Do as I did and play the first 4-8 hours of FFXIII.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Dec 1st, 2015 @ 12:46pm

I know the way FF12 washes out its color palette is a stylistic choice, but I can't help but think it looks a little bit better with some color saturation and contrast tweaking.

original: http://i.imgur.com/o1Cgxw9.png
tweaked: http://i.imgur.com/Xb3otoS.png

Consensus?

Spoiler: show
Vaan's paint-by-numbers abs always make me laugh
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Dec 1st, 2015 @ 12:54pm

LiQuid wrote:I haven't beaten 12 since it came out so I don't remember the specifics of it, but I remember it going crazy at the end, in a bad way. It gets up its own ass a bit with all the mystical crystal nonsense. But playing thru it now, I can't imagine it being bad enough to spoil the bulk of the game. Between all the politicking and the amazing localization and voice cast, this was pretty much my dream story for a main line Final Fantasy game. The personalities and relationships between almost every character is awesome. Even the judges, who you think are going to be nameless, faceless ass kickers, turn into a handful of really well developer characters.

I honestly still don't think I'll ever play FF13. Over the weekend I read up about it a bit and refreshed my memories of why the game sounded so bad to me when it came out. Wish I had done that before I plunked down 4 of my hard earned dollar bills on it. I also blame kenzo for not properly talking me out of it. That dude owes me $4 as far as I'm concerned.

Oh no, I know how crazy it gets. A few days ago on Discord Ko went all out and talked about the twists anyway, so if I didn't already know before, I'd certainly know now! Haha I mean FF Tactics (best FF game, after XII) also went batshit at the end too. Started all political and serious then goes into gods and zodiac and whatever. FFT Advance was the worst piece of shit I've ever played, and set a really, really low bar. What I know of XII and what happens doesn't even come CLOSE to as bad FFTA ended up being. What a pos game. The judges in XII are phenomenal -- FFTA ruins them.

You still should play XIII - even for a few hours like Cross did. From what I heard from Rodney, and seen, the battle system was really well done ... it's just really linear. ... and really anime. I think it'd be more hilarious than anything to see your take on it.

Oh shi -- it looks way better without the filter. How do!?
Jenn04

Postby CrossXhunteR » Dec 1st, 2015 @ 12:55pm

LiQuid wrote:I know the way FF12 washes out its color palette is a stylistic choice, but I can't help but think it looks a little bit better with some color saturation and contrast tweaking.

Consensus?

I thought this was supposed to look good through the emulator.

Also, how did FFTA ruin judges? It came out first. That just means FFXII saved judges.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Jenn04 » Dec 1st, 2015 @ 1:01pm

CrossXhunteR wrote:
LiQuid wrote:I know the way FF12 washes out its color palette is a stylistic choice, but I can't help but think it looks a little bit better with some color saturation and contrast tweaking.

Consensus?

I thought this was supposed to look good through the emulator.

Also, how did FFTA ruin judges? It came out first. That just means FFXII saved judges.

Whoops!
Then thank you, based FFXII!
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Dec 1st, 2015 @ 1:46pm

CrossXhunteR wrote:I thought this was supposed to look good through the emulator.

You ever seen FF12 not in the emulator?

Spoiler: Not 1080p, not AA'd, not 16:9.

The reason why that probably looks bad to you is because you're used to 1080p games having much higher resolution textures. Those textures were created for standard def, and not made to be blown up that large. The character models themselves are night and day next to the game running on actual PS2 hardware.

ImageImage

So how about you shut your smart ass mouth you piece of shit, eh?
LiQuid

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics