Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Mar 27th, 2009 @ 1:12pm

I got the Pokemon bug pretty bad last night when an online friend asked me to breed some pokes for his new Platinum playthrough. I haven't played any Pokemon in a few months. Last time I played I was strip mining my Sapphire and Leaf Green carts for all their delicious pokeymans and filling up my Pearl dex. I'm currently in the process of organizing my ~300 pokes into the beginning of a living dex to finally get my shit organized and find out where my gaps are so I can work on trading/playing for them.

Something I'm wondering is if anybody knows of a way to get my entire dex from Pearl to Platinum once I finally get that version (I'm getting sick of not having a 'back' button on the poketch, dammit!). I'm not looking forward to capturing 300 junk pokes in Platinum just to trade them over with a second DS. I found out that the WiiWare Pokemon ranch doesn't allow trading between saves like the older Box programs which I think it total horseshit (what's the point of the ranch then?!). Any tips on this would be great.

Anyways, I've heard more than a few people around here meekly admit to enjoying Pokemon, so I figure there's gotta be at least a couple willing to jump on and trade or battle with me. If anybody wants to, my Pearl FC is: 4725 4435 3854 and I'd be willing to set something up through our new IRC channel which I'm always in, but only active evenings and weekends US Central time (GMT -6). I'm usually more focused on breeding, trading and evolving to fill out my dex, but I'm willing to battle too. Just be warned that I have zero pokemon optimized for battle and it would just be on a casual basis. If anyone wants to help me fill out my dex though and needs help getting theirs filled I'm more than willing to help out. I've got all 4 generation's starters and a decent amount of legendaries/rares. To my knowledge I don't have any "hacked" pokemon, but I've done a number of GTS and GameFAQs trades, so who knows if a few a few have snuck in there. Most of the pokes I breed are ditto bred, so if you want me to try and get a special egg move or nature for you, you have to specifically request it (and be willing to wait for and/or help achieve proper results).
LiQuid

Re: Pokeymans

Postby SkuttyB » Mar 27th, 2009 @ 7:24pm

I am not meek about admitting to enjoying Pokemon, I am a Pokegeek and darn proud of it 8-)

As far as I know theres no other way to get your mons from Pearl to Platinum other than junk trade for them, but since theres even more wild pokemon to catch in Pt it should at least be somewhat easier to fill that dex

I would love to battle with you, but sadly I cannot use wi-fi from my signal challenged house. Do you have PBR?
SkuttyB

Postby LiQuid » Mar 30th, 2009 @ 12:45am

I just played my first (and likely last) battle in Pokemon! It was a resounding comedy of failure! My opponent (a guy from another forum) only had to show me three Pokemon before he had an impenetrable wall of Fuck put together that I couldn't even hit anymore due to his maxed out evasion. Meanwhile, my entire team (most of them fresh off their victory against the Elite 4) failed to impress with moves like "Cut" and "Bubble Beam."

When you're OCD like me, and only care about collecting 'em all, it's kind of hard to put together any kind of effort into formulating a battle strategy, but I didn't realize how hopeless a single-player optimized set of pokes really was against a team with any modicum of thought (and TM's) put into them. I seriously don't think I've used a TM ever in my entire history playing Pokemon. I pack rat them away for some nonexistent day in the future when I plan on "building" a team and trying to win. Yeah, not gonna happen. I'll stick to building the pokedex for now.
LiQuid

Postby Magitek85 » Apr 1st, 2009 @ 5:21pm

I hadn't played since the first one, Pokemon Red. But I picked up Pearl and sunk 100 hours into it before I broke free of its hold. It's the OCD thing with me too. My wife would just roll her eyes when she walked past me playing with the strategy guide and pokedex or whatever opened up on my lap.
Magitek85

Postby LiQuid » Apr 3rd, 2009 @ 1:25pm

Haha I get jeers from some of my friends too. They just don't get it. Collecting pokes is like OCD therapy for me and I've been a huge fan of the series since the very first set. I used to sit in class in high school and play while the teachers were attempting to learn me some knowledge!

My copy of Pearl currently has over 150 hours on it. I've been playing since it first came out in 2007, but I drop it for large portions of time. As soon as I pick it back up though, there's another 40 hours. Plus I've got a few of the GBA ones, all with well over 60 hours each, that I use to strip mine pokes off of to fill my dex. My dex is currently at 382 seen, 355 obtained, but I'm just finishing a Leaf Green playthrough and I've been slowly milking pokes off of it, with about a dozen left in a box waiting for shipment. Also I throw a Spiritomb up on GTS daily trying to fill in blank spots.

Missing too many middle evolutions and goofy trade+item evolutions. I miss the days when it was just leveling up or stones. Now you have to almost know in advance how to evolve some of these pokes in order to evolve them. That kind of kills the fun of just accidentally getting a better poke just from playing with it.
LiQuid

Postby SkuttyB » Apr 3rd, 2009 @ 6:16pm

I will be getting my 488th mon in my Pearl tomorrow when I get Shaymin from the official event in Game
SkuttyB

Postby LiQuid » Apr 3rd, 2009 @ 11:05pm

SkuttyB wrote:I will be getting my 488th mon in my Pearl tomorrow when I get Shaymin from the official event in Game

Say what now?
LiQuid

Postby SkuttyB » Apr 4th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

My apologies, that wasnt very clear. By 'Game' I mean the store of that name, over here in the UK an official Nintendo event is on for the purpose of giving away Shaymin...

Which I now have two of :D 8-)
SkuttyB

Postby LiQuid » Apr 4th, 2009 @ 7:18pm

You wanker!

What you want for the second one? :)
LiQuid

Postby SkuttyB » Apr 5th, 2009 @ 3:53pm

LiQuid wrote:You wanker!

How British of you ;)

I would happily trade one with you, alas it is unfortunately not possible as my house is in a signal blackspot so I cannot get onto the wi-fi network. Unless you can think of any other way?
SkuttyB

Postby LiQuid » Apr 5th, 2009 @ 5:18pm

McDonald's or Starbucks? Most of them here in the states are wi-fi hotspots. But don't go out of your way for me. I've got plenty of other pokes to find before I have to worry about chasing down all Nintendo's silly event pokemon. :)
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Apr 6th, 2009 @ 2:42pm

Haha, not quite. There are 493 total, about 482 or so of which are obtainable without attending Pokemon events, giving someone at Nintendo a handy, or using a cheat device to hack or clone.
LiQuid

Postby SkuttyB » Apr 6th, 2009 @ 6:00pm

LiQuid wrote:McDonald's or Starbucks? Most of them here in the states are wi-fi hotspots. But don't go out of your way for me. I've got plenty of other pokes to find before I have to worry about chasing down all Nintendo's silly event pokemon. :)

I believe McDonalds have hotspots here too, but I havent been in one for so long Im not entirely sure. If I manage to find a way Ill let you know :) How many more mon have you gotten since you last mentioned?
SkuttyB

Postby LiQuid » Apr 7th, 2009 @ 2:00am

SkuttyB wrote:How many more mon have you gotten since you last mentioned?

421 seen, 413 obtained. Running out of stuff I can GTS for! I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and just start leveling up all the ones I need to evolve at this point. Man, looking up, I see that just 3 days ago I'd only had 355, and when I first picked the game back up again a week and a half ago I was at 283 obtained. I've really been cruising!

I'm just about to finish my Leaf Green playthrough. I only need about 4 more of the original 151 to finish that dex off completely. After that I'm probably going to restart a Sapphire game since I'm currently post-E4, but since I (unwisely) mined that save file of all its pokes, items and even money I have no way to go hunt the legendaries without hours of work trying to build money and a new team from scratch. I figure it will be easier to start from the beginning and just rush through the game, only catching what I need to build my team and beat it. I'd love to swap this copy of Sapphire for a copy of Ruby or Emerald and start fresh there so I can get Groudon and the other exclusives I don't have from that gen.

Regardless, eventually I'm sure I will just bite the bullet and go solicit the GameFAQs trading board for the few dozen I'll have remaining after I've evolved everything I have currently. It seems kind of silly to spend yet another 30-40 hours playing through Hoenn again for 8 or 9 pokes. If you add up my save files from Pearl, LG and Sapphire I'm pretty close to 300 hours as it is, which is a number I wish I'd not just discovered. :)
LiQuid

Postby SkuttyB » Apr 7th, 2009 @ 4:14pm

Im at about 300 hours combined for Diamond (90+) and Pearl (210+) alone, and thats not even counting the fact that Diamond is a second playthrough. Ive restarted all my gba games countless times so I couldnt tell you what Ive put on them.

You dont need to spead 30-40 hours replaying, just go with your starter for every battle and by the time you complete the game in no more than about 10 hours youll be strong enough to catch any pokemon you need.

Also if you dont mind it being Japanese I could send you my copy of Emerald if you like? Youd have to trade with Sapphire before mining, but other than that itd work fine for what you need.
SkuttyB

Postby LiQuid » Apr 9th, 2009 @ 11:49am

That's not necessary, but thanks! Now that I'm at about 423 seen, 420+ obtained and am running out of ways to rapidly obtain more, I'm starting to lose the OCD drive to get the rest. It's going to be much slower from here on out. I restarted Sapphire the other day and I'm blasting through it (just did fourth gym), just to get back to the end game with a healthier save file than the one I just deleted. Not bothering to catch anything I don't immediately need. Just leveling up four solid pokes to make it through as fast as possible.

I forgot how annoying it is to travel around in Hoenn. The paths leading me to all these towns is winding around, up and down the mountain and shit, it's really annoying. I forgot when they give you fly in this game, but it can't come soon enough. Also I have the umpteen million surf/water routes to look forward to. Man what an annoying region. Having to swap back and forth between the mach and acro bikes is baaaaaaad after getting used to D/P's bike. And then there's not being able to run while indoors... Sheesh. Really makes you appreciate all the minor little improvements that come with each new generation. There's a ton of annoying shit in D/P as well, and I'm hoping to hell it all gets fixed in Gen 5 or the SGC remakes. :)
LiQuid

Postby SkuttyB » Apr 9th, 2009 @ 3:40pm

You get fly at the top of 119, from your rival after you beat them. Yeah, having to switch bikes is annoying, and Im almost always trying to run in a building everytime I go back to a 3rd Gen game.

What kinda stuff annoys you in DPPt? I cant think of anything paticularly terrible in the last 7 hours Ive just played of Platinum. And GSC remakes? Is that you being hopeful there are some or do you know something?
SkuttyB

Postby LiQuid » Apr 9th, 2009 @ 4:02pm

SkuttyB wrote:What kinda stuff annoys you in DPPt? I cant think of anything paticularly terrible in the last 7 hours Ive just played of Platinum. And GSC remakes? Is that you being hopeful there are some or do you know something?

GSC remakes is just me being hopeful. It would be cool if they did those on DS like FR/LG on GBA. Sorry there hasn't been any word to that effect.

As far as minor annoyances I still have in D/P (haven't played Platinum, so I don't know what's all fixed):

Battle speed is WAY slower than Gen 3. Even with animations off. HP bars drop super slow now and text messages about stuff like abilities kicking in before battle (like Intimidate), hailstorms going off every round, status messages like poison, burn, etc, all take way too long and adds to the overall length of battles.

HM usage actually seems to take longer in D/P. All the text boxes you have to click through just to use an HM seems to have increased by 1 or 2. Also, ideally I would like it so that when rocks get broke, or trees get cut, they are gone FOR GOOD. Traveling back through areas with multiple rocks/trees is a pain in the butt. Especially if you just walk far enough so that an off-screen tree respawns when you're like 10 steps away from it... Annoyance!

HM's in general need to be moves you put on pokemon. I'm sick of having useless HM's on my characters (especially the terrible ones like rock smash and flash) or having 1-2 HM mules in my party at all times. At least in Gen 4 you can fit all 8 HM's onto Bibarel and Tropius, but it's still a shitty system that needs an overhaul.

Back button on the Poketch (I know this got added to Plat, but I don't haaaave Plat!)

Registering your item to a hotkey needs to be overhauled as well. Instead I'd rather have an item hotbar added that you could stick a number of items into, radar, bike, rod, etc, which you could scroll through with the L and R buttons, and then use with X. Also this is something that could be added to the touch screen, though I kind of like the poketch, so I'd like that feature to stay. Plus there's no reason all those DS buttons should be on there completely unused (except for just being able to map the confirm key to L as well as A, which is useful IMO, but I'd rather give it up for an item hotbar)

We still don't have customizable characters. When you GTS pokes, you see other players represented as different sprites, why can't we do that in-game? Instead of collecting dolls and furniture for a secret hideout that no one is ever going to see, I'd like to get different clothing items and stuff that people would see when they battled or traded with me.

And then lastly, I still don't feel like there's enough end-game content. They keep adding all kinds of stuff to end-game play, which I appreciate, but it never feels like enough. I want more daily event stuff like swarms, the lottery, etc. Stuff that will keep me playing and exploring/wandering the world long after I've beaten the game. Another thing that would really help this is if they added more varied hunting spots at end game. It seems like the only way to train pokes after a point is to just keep running them against the Elite 4, which gets boring. There needs to be more areas like the island in D/P, preferably with wild pokes you can level up on all the way to 100.
LiQuid

Postby SkuttyB » Apr 10th, 2009 @ 5:49pm

Youve got some good ideas there. None of the stuff youve mentioned, besides the back button on the Poketch, seems any better. In fact if anything somethings are worse, like the text speed is even slower, had to put it on fast where normal has always been fine before. Havent gotten to see how much faster surf is yet, but Im glad they fixed it cos that was really annoying in DP.

What the should do for HMs is have a fifth slot on all Pokemon. Not for battling, but just so you can attach a field move that you wouldnt normally use in battle.

The item registering could be so much better if they just moved the menu back to the start button. Then not only would I stop trying to open it like that while playing the GBA games, but also youd have an extra hotkey button, plus you could get up to five if L, R and select were used as well.

A high leveled wild mon area would be a great idea. Trying to get upto Lv 100 is hard when wild mon only go up to mid 50s, and the only trains that hit the 60s are the E4 hand your rival. At least thats slightly better in Plat as they increase upto mid 80s. Dunno if wilds should go all the way upto 100 tho, that would make training pretty hard.
SkuttyB

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 11th, 2009 @ 6:17pm

Man, I actually want to try Pokemon one of these days. I have a feeling I'll become hopelessly addicted to it.

On second thought, maybe I better not.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Apr 11th, 2009 @ 10:22pm

Yeah, if you've made it this far into your life without falling victim you might as well just not open up Pandora's Box.

On the other hand, if you pick it up I can trade you some super sweet pokes! :D
LiQuid

Postby SkuttyB » Apr 12th, 2009 @ 3:31pm

Master Higgins wrote:Man, I actually want to try Pokemon one of these days. I have a feeling I'll become hopelessly addicted to it.

On second thought, maybe I better not.

Do it. Doooooooo it. You know you want to...

:twisted:
SkuttyB

Postby LiQuid » Apr 12th, 2009 @ 3:58pm

LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Apr 18th, 2009 @ 6:07am

HIGGINS! I know you're one of us now... How about you supplement your piplup with a rad cyndaquil or or a cute little treecko? FRIEND CODE! Make it happen! Only YOU can catch 'em all!!!
LiQuid

Postby NoTomToLose » Apr 18th, 2009 @ 9:54am

If you guys have Platinum, can you say whether it can access WPA-secured wi-fi through the DSi? It seems impossible to discover this information online.

I've always really liked the Pokémon games, it's just too bad they're so much cursed work. I mean, at least it would only take a couple hundred hours to reach the endgame in an MMO like WoW - and when you do, all the options in the game are within relatively easy reach. Not so for Pokémon, and it's a darn shame. The actual battle game is pretty cool - too bad I'll never get to play it. Oh, to be a Japanese ten-year-old. :)
NoTomToLose

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 18th, 2009 @ 11:09am

LiQuid wrote:HIGGINS! I know you're one of us now... How about you supplement your piplup with a rad cyndaquil or or a cute little treecko? FRIEND CODE! Make it happen! Only YOU can catch 'em all!!!

I have no idea what this means but I'm sure it's the most awesome thing ever.

I'll find my friend code tonight!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Clint » Apr 18th, 2009 @ 12:03pm

Friend codes? Back in my day we had link cables and GameBoy Colour infrared ports. Damn kids.
Clint

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 18th, 2009 @ 12:44pm

Clint wrote:Friend codes? Back in my day we had link cables and GameBoy Colour infrared ports. Damn kids.

--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Apr 18th, 2009 @ 12:46pm

Clint wrote:Friend codes? Back in my day we had link cables and GameBoy Colour infrared ports. Damn kids.

Hahaha, friend codes might actually be a step backwards from link cables...
LiQuid

Postby SkuttyB » Apr 18th, 2009 @ 2:45pm

I wouldnt say friend codes are a step back, just the equivalent of a cable thats 1000s of miles long :P

Also, I is sad that I cannot do this myself :(
SkuttyB

Next
Forum Statistics