Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 16th, 2014 @ 7:58pm

Why would I want to use the D-pad?
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pokeymans

Postby meDotJS » Feb 16th, 2014 @ 8:34pm

To walk without the roller-skates.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS
User avatar
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sep 19th, 2012 @ 5:26pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 16th, 2014 @ 8:52pm

D-pad on the 3ds is fucking trash. They should just let you take the fucking skates off. This game is the culmination of two decades of shit programming on this franchise from Gamefreak. It's a fucking travesty.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 17th, 2014 @ 3:30pm

Even the 3D in this game is wretched. I didn't know the 3DS was capable of such laughable framerate, but turn on the 3D in battles in this game if you want to see that fucker chug like a frat boy.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 17th, 2014 @ 5:34pm

1907 - 8263 - 1822

Even tho everybody's done playing Pokeymans I added everybody anyways. Add me if you want.

I've spent about 5 in-game hours so far on Route 22 trying to find a male fire lion thing and I musta murdered about a million of them so far but all females. What the fuck. It's a 12.5% chance to be a dude, which is 1/8 yet ALL fucking chicks. This fucking shit...
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 17th, 2014 @ 10:12pm

Ahahahaha, the movement and camera function in the large city/metropolis in this game is HILARIOUSLY inept. I can't believe actual human beings were responsible for programming this shit! :lol:
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 18th, 2014 @ 9:46am

I finally found a way that X/Y improves on previous iterations. In these games the world renowned pokeyman professor doesn't have his state of the art research lab in your podunk-ass, 2-house starting city! You actually have to travel to the large city before you even meet the dude.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 21st, 2014 @ 10:39pm

How the fuck long does it take to get to the motherfucking second gym?! I'm getting real sick of my fucking duck not obeying my orders...
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pokeymans

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 21st, 2014 @ 11:12pm

Hah, I noticed the 2nd gym took forever to get to.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 22nd, 2014 @ 2:44pm

Aww man I was going to use this dumb bird/lucha pokemon but it doesn't evolve at all. I bet it sucks.

Image
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 22nd, 2014 @ 2:55pm

Holy shit, trading Pokes from Diamond/Pearl/Plat/HG/SS sounds like a pain in the diiiiiiiiiiiiiick. Gotta use my old DS to trade each individually to my copy of White and then use the Pokeyman Bank to get them on the 3DS. If I succeed in this mission impossible tho I will have successfully traded pokes from my actual Gen 3 GBA carts all the way up to Gen 6. That seems kinda rad I guess. Sounds like it will take hours/days/weeks to do that for all of them tho. Even having my Pearl save data wiped I still have hundreds of pokes on the rest of my carts. Doesn't sound like there's a way to just transfer them all either, like with the old Pal Park. You actually have to 1v1 trade them? So I need to go catch a zillion shitty pokes on my copy of white in order to do the trades? This doesn't sound fucking fun at all.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 22nd, 2014 @ 4:28pm

All the acquaintance shit in this game is weirding me out. I have a list of them from doing wonder trades and the act of passing them O-powers and Nice-es is just personal enough that it feels awkward. Before realizing what it entailed I requested to see someone's PR video. After the game was like "asking Random German Guy if you can see his video" I was like eeek, fuck all that, cancelled it and removed him from my list cause it was embarrassing. I'm not entirely sure why...
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pokeymans

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 22nd, 2014 @ 4:50pm

LiQuid wrote:You can't turn off the fucking roller skates?!
You use the D-pad if you want to move without using the skates.

LiQuid wrote:How much more fucking awful is this game going to get???
Quite a lot probably, given that it's easily the best game in the series.
DarthEnder
User avatar
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Apr 27th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: NinjaPirate HQ

Re: Pokeymans

Postby meDotJS » Feb 22nd, 2014 @ 5:22pm

LiQuid wrote:Aww man I was going to use this dumb bird/lucha pokemon but it doesn't evolve at all. I bet it sucks.

Image

He doesn't need to evolve, he's already one of the most powerful Pokemon in the game.

I had a party wipe happen to me once and it was to a trainer with that guy. And I was doing well up until that guy. And according to people who do number crunching on Pokemon fansites he's one of the most powerful base Pokemon in the game.

Basically you should use him.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS
User avatar
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sep 19th, 2012 @ 5:26pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 22nd, 2014 @ 6:31pm

I think I'm gonna. I got a Lucario in my team now who is pretty rad but then my fucking duck who never listens to my orders, I think I might ditch em both and tag that guy in. Get it "tag in?" Wrestling reference... :(
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 22nd, 2014 @ 6:40pm

And I'm over this game being awful. It is awful, but not in ways that the last couple games weren't already awful, for the most part. The bike is better than the skates, so at least I can use that instead now. The skates are garbage, and using the D-pad sucks. I really, REALLY fucking hate the way this game goes into its stupid, superfluous camera swing bullshit. They throw all these pointless perspective shifts out like the third person over the shoulder dungeon that not only make the game control even worse but serve NO function other than to say "hey guys, our game isn't a 2D, isometric piece of shit anymore, look, see!?"

Also I can't for the life of my figure out why the deposit and withdraw functions still exist in the storage PC. I've NEVER used either of those functions over the move/organize function. They seem totally worthless yet they are still there. Also the actual UI for moving shit around in the PC hasn't improved at all either.

There are some actual core elements of this game that I think are marked improvements, like consolidating all the internet/connectivity shit to a single PSS screen instead of having to visit NPC's and buildings and shit. Also probably the EV training and pokemon petting mini games are probably useful for people that care about that stuff.

I guess some points for the game finally implementing the radial menu, even tho it's rudimentary as fuck... I guess anything there is a step in the right direction but it's still clunky. Basically this game/franchise is Japanese as fuck and really annoying, but it's still god damned pokemon. Saying a pokemon game is the best in the series isn't really saying much. I've been playing these fucking things since the day Red/Blue dropped in the USA and that first one is still just as playable as this one.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 22nd, 2014 @ 7:20pm

Good news guys! I beat the 2nd gym and now pokemans up to level 40 won't fucking loaf in battle! TOO BAD MY FUCKING DUCK IS LEVEL 39!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pokeymans

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 22nd, 2014 @ 8:06pm

Bah, I didn't notice there was a whole 'nother page of posts here. Sorry my last post was full of outdated responses.

What kind of duck is it you're referring to? Farfetch'd? Psyduck? Ducklett?

LiQuid wrote:Holy shit, trading Pokes from Diamond/Pearl/Plat/HG/SS sounds like a pain in the diiiiiiiiiiiiiick.
It absolutely, totally was.

I've been trading my entire collection forward since Ruby. Every new game has been, like, a 10 hour nightmare of horrible minigames to do this.

The Pokemon Bank is a fucking godsend, and I hope it stays forever.

LiQuid wrote: I really, REALLY fucking hate the way this game goes into its stupid, superfluous camera swing bullshit.
Only time it bothers me is in the city, because it makes you get lost really easy.

LiQuid wrote: Also I can't for the life of my figure out why the deposit and withdraw functions still exist in the storage PC. I've NEVER used either of those functions over the move/organize function. They seem totally worthless yet they are still there.
Totally agree. There's no reason to every not use the Move functions, since you can use them to deposit and withdraw to your party just as easily.

LiQuid wrote:Also the actual UI for moving shit around in the PC hasn't improved at all either.
That's not true. The ability to draw a box around a bunch at once and pick up and move the whole group at the same time is awesome. Especially when using the bank to move an entire box all at once.

LiQuid wrote:Also probably the EV training and pokemon petting mini games are probably useful for people that care about that stuff.
They are. I didn't used to care about EVs BECAUSE they sucked so hard to do. Now their easy enough that I'm willing to put in the effort.

The benefits for maxing out the petting stuff is pretty good too, but it's pretty much all single player benefits, which doesn't really need to be any easier than X/Y already makes it.

LiQuid wrote:Basically this game/franchise is Japanese as fuck and really annoying, but it's still god damned pokemon. Saying a pokemon game is the best in the series isn't really saying much. I've been playing these fucking things since the day Red/Blue dropped in the USA and that first one is still just as playable as this one.
I agree with the first part, not the second.

The things that make this game the best in my eyes is how many of the elements that made the series SOOO archaic were FINALLY abandoned in this game.

Yeah, there's still a bunch left. But a lot have been fixed. And I really appreciate that.

This is also the first Pokemon game that isn't stupid grindy.
Last edited by DarthEnder on Feb 22nd, 2014 @ 8:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarthEnder
User avatar
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Apr 27th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: NinjaPirate HQ

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 22nd, 2014 @ 9:53pm

Moving multiple pokes at once by drawing a box around them... It's like Pokemon finally caught up to the operating systems of the 80s. You understand that I'm using hyperbole when I say the shit hasn't improved and that what I mean is that this shit is still not even half good as it should be provided they have a god damned touch screen at their disposal. I shouldn't have to open a menu to change which of my pokes is the first one in a fight. I shouldn't be limited to only using 4 items on the fly when there are like 6 perfectly fine buttons on this machine that game doesn't even bother to use. Like, I can't believe they brought back the L = A option rather than giving the L and R buttons some quality of life feature like being able to toggle thru menus or items or something. Every time a new game in this series comes out, ESPECIALLY a wholly new generation and on a new, powerful piece of hardware I see all these minor conveniences added and I'm all about that but I see all these annoyances they don't bother to address and it agitates the hell out of me.

I haven't really fucked around with the bank more than I needed to to get my Celebi. While I think it's a long overdue concept, I still think it's criminal to charge even its nominal fee for what could basically store as a .txt file. I've used PokeCheck. I know all these little fuckers only amount to just a bunch of numbers on a stat sheet.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pokeymans

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 23rd, 2014 @ 12:49am

LiQuid wrote: You understand that I'm using hyperbole when I say the shit hasn't improved and that what I mean is that this shit is still not even half good as it should be provided they have a god damned touch screen at their disposal.
Fair enough. And I agree.

Hell, a real kick in the balls, the Pokemon Bank doesn't even have the same touchscreen functionality that the in game PC does. You have to move everything around with the D-pad.

LiQuid wrote:I know all these little fuckers only amount to just a bunch of numbers on a stat sheet.
Ridiculous! Each of them is a little piece of your soul!
DarthEnder
User avatar
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Apr 27th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: NinjaPirate HQ

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 24th, 2014 @ 11:48am

HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm So why do you suppose there are such a scant few mega stones? Are they going to add new ones in? The ones that are currently available seem totally arbitrary. Like, is Manectric a popular pokemon? I don't really get it. Is there any reason not to use it in every fight, aside from having to watch the mini-Sailor Moon transform? I really don't get this entire system or why it's in the game at all. It doesn't seem fully implemented at all. Seems like a potential selling point for Pokemon Z.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pokeymans

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 24th, 2014 @ 8:52pm

LiQuid wrote:HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm So why do you suppose there are such a scant few mega stones? Are they going to add new ones in? The ones that are currently available seem totally arbitrary. Like, is Manectric a popular pokemon? I don't really get it. Is there any reason not to use it in every fight, aside from having to watch the mini-Sailor Moon transform? I really don't get this entire system or why it's in the game at all. It doesn't seem fully implemented at all. Seems like a potential selling point for Pokemon Z.
It's basically a way for them to give popular Pokemon a new evolution without given them a REAL evolution that breaks the game.

I hate it. Because I'm all about collecting them all. And you can't really collect Mega Evolutions. They don't have their own Pokedex entries, you can't transfer the stones to the bank. I'd rather these were all just new evolutions.

And no, there's no reason not to use it every fight.

I assume there aren't more of them because each one requires as much work to make as making an entirely new Pokemon.
DarthEnder
User avatar
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Apr 27th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: NinjaPirate HQ

Re: Pokeymans

Postby GoodLordMan » Feb 25th, 2014 @ 3:21pm

DarthEnder wrote:
LiQuid wrote:HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm So why do you suppose there are such a scant few mega stones? Are they going to add new ones in? The ones that are currently available seem totally arbitrary. Like, is Manectric a popular pokemon? I don't really get it. Is there any reason not to use it in every fight, aside from having to watch the mini-Sailor Moon transform? I really don't get this entire system or why it's in the game at all. It doesn't seem fully implemented at all. Seems like a potential selling point for Pokemon Z.
It's basically a way for them to give popular Pokemon a new evolution without given them a REAL evolution that breaks the game.

I hate it. Because I'm all about collecting them all. And you can't really collect Mega Evolutions. They don't have their own Pokedex entries, you can't transfer the stones to the bank. I'd rather these were all just new evolutions.

And no, there's no reason not to use it every fight.

I assume there aren't more of them because each one requires as much work to make as making an entirely new Pokemon.
transformation that don't last and require some sort of stone or crest where have I heard that.....
GoodLordMan
User avatar
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Dec 14th, 2013 @ 5:29am

Re: Pokeymans

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 25th, 2014 @ 10:27pm

I'm not familiar enough with Digimon to get that reference. So I'll just assume it's like that in Digimon.
DarthEnder
User avatar
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Apr 27th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: NinjaPirate HQ

Re: Pokeymans

Postby meDotJS » Feb 26th, 2014 @ 12:56pm

If anyone somehow has a 3DS but hasn't played this game Club Nintendo is doing a promotion right now where if you register your 3DS (XL and 2DS also work) and a "qualifying" game (Mario Kart 7, 3D Land, New Leaf, DKCR 3D, Lego City, or Yoshi's Island) you can get Pokemon X or Y for free.

http://club2.nintendo.com/3ds-pokemon-promo/
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS
User avatar
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sep 19th, 2012 @ 5:26pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 26th, 2014 @ 1:10pm

What the FUCK. I just got this shit last week. Fuck off Nintendo.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 26th, 2014 @ 1:13pm

Hmm. I wonder if the new YI game is going to be good like the first one or a flaming shitpile like the DS one. I might snag that and get a digital copy of whichever one I didn't buy.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pokeymans

Postby meDotJS » Feb 26th, 2014 @ 1:17pm

I probably should've mentioned that if you do try to use this promotion hold off until March. The promotion hasn't actually begun yet.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS
User avatar
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sep 19th, 2012 @ 5:26pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 26th, 2014 @ 1:33pm

Apparently this only works if you haven't already registered your 3DS prior to March 1st... Ok, so never mind then.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pokeymans

Postby LiQuid » Feb 26th, 2014 @ 7:12pm

I swore I was going to try sticking to only new pokes and ones that I would never have used before in playing thru this game but I cracked and leveled up a zubat. Now he's basically the only pokemon I use. The rest are just HM bitches. Even my greninja is fucking useless because his move set is such trash from having like Rock Smash and shit on him. Wish I had a breloom and milotic so I could complete the cycle of using only my favs every damn game.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28313
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Options

Return to Games

cron