Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

DOTA 2

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 15th, 2011 @ 4:52pm

There is a $1 million Dota 2 tournament happening at Gamescom this week.

This will probably be the first game of the genre I play.
Last edited by Mr_eX on Jul 21st, 2014 @ 6:47pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Re: DOTA 2

Postby Konanda » Aug 15th, 2011 @ 5:06pm

That so blatantly rips off Blizzard's artstyle and at least LoL made some different looking heros that played a little differently. If that little display of the different heroes is indicative of how they'll play in the game than they pretty much are making a copy of DotA, which is really sad and unoriginal, why buy this when I can just play the original for free?
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby Rodney » Aug 15th, 2011 @ 5:19pm

I'm sorry, I watched the clip with the sound off, but I didn't see any game trailer. Is this an animated children's movie?
Rodney

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 15th, 2011 @ 6:04pm

Konanda wrote:That so blatantly rips off Blizzard's artstyle and at least LoL made some different looking heros that played a little differently. If that little display of the different heroes is indicative of how they'll play in the game than they pretty much are making a copy of DotA, which is really sad and unoriginal, why buy this when I can just play the original for free?

A. Blizzard is one of the most direvitive developers working today.
B. You're complaining that Dota 2 looks like Dota.
C. At least Valve gave the game a cool visual style(I assume the painted look will also apply to the actual gameplay)
D. Has Valve even said they're charging for it? They just launched the free 2 play section of steam and they made TF2 free 2 play and have been using TF2 basically as a beta for Dota 2 features(replays, store, coaching).
E.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 15th, 2011 @ 6:07pm

Rodney wrote:I'm sorry, I watched the clip with the sound off, but I didn't see any game trailer. Is this an animated children's movie?

Oh man, if Valve started making movies they'd be up there with Pixar.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Konanda » Aug 15th, 2011 @ 6:13pm

Mr_eX wrote:
Konanda wrote:That so blatantly rips off Blizzard's artstyle and at least LoL made some different looking heros that played a little differently. If that little display of the different heroes is indicative of how they'll play in the game than they pretty much are making a copy of DotA, which is really sad and unoriginal, why buy this when I can just play the original for free?

A. Blizzard is one of the most direvitive developers working today.
B. You're complaining that Dota 2 looks like Dota.
C. At least Valve gave the game a cool visual style(I assume the painted look will also apply to the actual gameplay)
D. Has Valve even said they're charging for it? They just launched the free 2 play section of steam and they made TF2 free 2 play and have been using TF2 basically as a beta for Dota 2 features(replays, store, coaching).
E.

That's cool it still looks like it's just a shitty skin of DotA. I'd rather play DotA.
Konanda

Postby ribkicker4 » Aug 15th, 2011 @ 9:39pm

My reaction to that trailer?

Meh.

DotA 2 has to bring something new to the table for me to be at all interested. Besides "new and improved graphics".
ribkicker4

Postby Konanda » Aug 15th, 2011 @ 9:42pm

20 seconds Drow Ranger (Traxex)
45 seconds Axe (Mogul Khan)
53 seconds Now this one I'll give you an unsure about since it looks like a weird Anti-Mage but Anti-Mage shows up after. Best guess is a little change on, Troll Warlord (Jah'rakal)
58 seconds Anti-Mage (Magina)
59 seconds about to pound totem pole down, Earthshaker (Raigor Stonehoof)
59 seconds dude beside him with weird polearm, Rogue Knight (Sven)
1:10 lightning dude, Storm Spirit (Raijin Thunderkeg) difference human now instead of Panderan
1:14 hard to say mostly because of it's head but it looks like a less skeletonlike, Oblivion (Pugna) or maybe a Shadow Priest (Dazzle) with a weird head and strange balls at his arms.
1:16 looks like a Lich (Kel'Thuzad) but they made it's wispy ranged attack look like a whip. Could also be a Necrolyte (Rotund'jere) but with a different ranged attack
1:18 Now this one could be new, I have a couple ideas but I'm actually a little stumped. Maybe a variation on Twin Headed Dragon (Jakiro) or Obsidian Destroyer (Harbinger)
1:19 Butcher (Pudge)
1:20 Sand King (Crixalis)
1:22 Redhead in Red is Slayer (Lina Inverse)
1:22 Blue ice mage is Crystal Madien (Rylai Crestfall)
1:26 swooping in Netherdrake (Viper)
1:29 transforming into a dragon it's a Dragon Knight (Knight Davion)

So still doubting me that it's just a straight rip off, I'm not just going on looks I'm going on abilities as well and I found 16 heroes and only 3 of them I'm unsure of and only 1 of those I'm actually considering it may be new. I also bet you it will have at least 16 heroes of each type (Strength, Agility, Intelligence) for each side. Meaning at least 96 heroes total and all but a small handleful will be carbon copies with maybe one or two little tweaks.

What they have shown of that game is so creatively bankrupt it's not even funny.
Konanda

Postby Konanda » Aug 15th, 2011 @ 9:43pm

ribkicker4 wrote:My reaction to that trailer?

Meh.

DotA 2 has to bring something new to the table for me to be at all interested. Besides "new and improved graphics".

Basically my thoughts except I liked the artstyle of WC3 a little better.
Konanda

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 15th, 2011 @ 9:51pm

Konanda wrote:So still doubting me that it's just a straight rip off

Do you understand that Dota 2 isn't a new IP and that it is a sequel to Dota and you're writing off an entire game based on a 2 minute teaser trailer that shows no gameplay at all?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Aug 15th, 2011 @ 9:53pm

I've written it off based on the fact that it's a non-Half Life game from Valve with a number in the title.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 15th, 2011 @ 9:55pm

LiQuid wrote:I've written it off based on the fact that it's a non-Half Life game from Valve with a number in the title.

At least your reasons are semi legitimate and not blind internet fanboy nerd rage.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Aug 15th, 2011 @ 9:56pm

I wouldn't call them legitimate. Though they are as legitimate as Konanda's stupid reason. You might be forgetting too that he has a severe and illogical bias towards the game in the first place. He's going to use any means necessary to justify his irrational hatred. You need to stop taking it personally.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 15th, 2011 @ 10:06pm

I just try to speak out against anything I think is stupid, he didn't say anything I could take personally.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby ribkicker4 » Aug 15th, 2011 @ 10:14pm

If DotA 2 is what I am expecting it to be (DotA reskinned with some minor variables thrown in), I don't see why it should exist. HoN already does that.

In that respect I can agree with Konanda.

Did any of you see the article that Rydog posted on Gamespy? He interviewed a Valve employee. It was not helpful (but nice try Ryan)...
ribkicker4

Postby kenzo » Aug 15th, 2011 @ 11:33pm

Mr_eX wrote:Oh man, if Valve started making movies they'd be up there with Pixar.
You're retarded if you actually believe this.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Aug 16th, 2011 @ 4:13am

Mr_eX wrote:
Konanda wrote:So still doubting me that it's just a straight rip off

Do you understand that Dota 2 isn't a new IP and that it is a sequel to Dota and you're writing off an entire game based on a 2 minute teaser trailer that shows no gameplay at all?

I'm not writing it off. I'm willing to change my mind if they show me a reason why I should care about this game over the original Dota or LoL and so far they have not.

I really don't care to play a Dota reskin when Dota is already out there and contrary to your beliefs is still being supported with regular updates.
Konanda

Postby LiQuid » Aug 16th, 2011 @ 5:00am

Konanda wrote:I'm not writing it off. I'm willing to change my mind

LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 16th, 2011 @ 6:20am

kenzo wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:Oh man, if Valve started making movies they'd be up there with Pixar.

They already have ex-Pixar animators and better writers than 99% of the movie industry.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 16th, 2011 @ 11:39am

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Aug 16th, 2011 @ 3:26pm

Mr_eX wrote:
kenzo wrote:
They already have ex-Pixar animators and better writers than 99% of the movie industry.
The logical dissonance you're displaying is amazing.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Aug 16th, 2011 @ 4:05pm

LiQuid wrote:

I told Mr_eX this last night in TF2 as well but it appears he did not read my response at that time.
Konanda

Postby MR LADIESMAN69 » Aug 16th, 2011 @ 4:18pm

I'll try DotA2, it'll be the first of it's kind that I try.
MR LADIESMAN69

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 16th, 2011 @ 4:48pm

Konanda wrote:
LiQuid wrote:

I told Mr_eX this last night in TF2 as well but it appears he did not read my response at that time.

Dude, you said you'd rather play Dota over Dota 2 based on a 2 minute trailer that showed no gameplay. You've clearly written it off and saying otherwise is either a boldface lie or you're delusional.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Aug 16th, 2011 @ 5:04pm

I'd rather eat dirt than play dota2.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Aug 16th, 2011 @ 5:09pm

Mr_eX wrote:
Konanda wrote:
LiQuid wrote:

Dude, you said you'd rather play Dota over Dota 2 based on a 2 minute trailer that showed no gameplay. You've clearly written it off and saying otherwise is either a boldface lie or you're delusional.

If you watched the same trailer as I had and played the original Dota you would notice all the abilities of the old heroes that they actually show in the trailer. This implies they will just make the same old heroes and I like the way WC3 looks.

It is not a lie, I'm merely stating my opinion so far because what they have shown is not enticing me to try out this game because what they have shown looks like like if you made the old Dota into a cutscene, slapped a new can of paint on it and set it in a couple different backdrops.

That just is not interesting to me. If I have to pay for it I'll definitely not play it but if it's free I might try it if Valve shows something that is new and interesting, not just a new paint job. I can see why you are more interested because you have never played the original map, it appears new to you.
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Aug 16th, 2011 @ 6:13pm

Personally, I think it's funny that the guy arguing against a strawman rather than what is actually being said, is calling someone else delusional. :lol:

From the sidelines, it looks like Ko is bringing some well reasoned arguments to the table, and Mr_eX is ignoring it all saying "OMG IT'S VALVE THIS GAME WILL RULEZ UR A TARD 4 NOT LIKING IT."
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 16th, 2011 @ 9:44pm

kenzo wrote:Personally, I think it's funny that the guy arguing against a strawman rather than what is actually being said, is calling someone else delusional. :lol:

From the sidelines, it looks like Ko is bringing some well reasoned arguments to the table, and Mr_eX is ignoring it all saying "OMG IT'S VALVE THIS GAME WILL RULEZ UR A TARD 4 NOT LIKING IT."

You throw around the term strawman way too much and it's really annoying and not true in most cases.

Konanda wrote:That's cool it still looks like it's just a shitty skin of DotA. I'd rather play DotA.

Konanda wrote:I really don't care to play a Dota reskin when Dota is already out there and contrary to your beliefs is still being supported with regular updates.

Honestly how can you say he's not writing off the game when he's already said he'd rather play a different game before 1 second of gameplay has been seen? His biggest complaint is that the trailer made Dota 2 look like Dota which is like complaining about Gears of War 2 being like Gears of War or Modern Warfare 2 being like Modern Warfare.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 16th, 2011 @ 9:51pm

Also kenzo you totally just strawmanned me. Show me once where I said Dota 2 would be a good game.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Aug 16th, 2011 @ 9:55pm

Mr_eX wrote:You throw around the term strawman way too much and it's really annoying and not true in most cases.
You misrepresent people's opinions and intentions more often than a FOXNews broadcast.

Mr_eX wrote:Also kenzo you totally just strawmanned me. Show me once where I said Dota 2 would be a good game.
Can I show you the billion times you've said that Valve can do no wrong and everything they touch turns to gold? Because that's the same thing.
kenzo

Next
Forum Statistics