Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: Dark Souls 2

Postby dakazu » Jun 29th, 2015 @ 4:42pm

Hmm. I thought you could upgrade your catalyst in DS1 but I guess you just craft that beast one from the butterfly boss.

The Blacksmith's daughter will eventually sell some twinkling titanite but they're 15000 a pop.

Yeah the pc port of DS1 was trash and some dude ended up making a patch to up the resolution. Some areas in DS2 chug but nothing comes close to Blighttown. And that shit was even worse on the PS3
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Jul 1st, 2015 @ 5:53am

Hexes are actually so good. I just got invaded by some piece of shit and Dark Fog fucked her up so hard.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 1st, 2015 @ 6:08am

I think I found one of the DLC areas. I've been seeing these shrine type monuments that have been warping me to big rooms full of statues with a locked door in them and I just got to one I had a key for and I'm in Shulva something or another. I got all 4 lord souls and kinda wanna just go beat the game. Does it boot you straight to NG+ like the first game or can I go do the DLC after?
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Jul 1st, 2015 @ 9:30am

You can beat the game and then do DLC without starting NG+ and I highly recommend doing it that way. All the DLC is endgame content and fucking hard(Shulva especially)
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Jul 2nd, 2015 @ 7:12am

In Tower of Flame
Get summoned into the game of guy named 2stoned2play
Attacking the first knight
2stoned2play swings at knight, hits nothing
2stoned2play rolls into the ocean
World master 2stoned2play has died
Returning to your world...
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 2nd, 2015 @ 7:57am

When I wear some Old Ironclad Armor I'm all like..

LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 3rd, 2015 @ 6:51pm

I've gotten to the point now where this character feels "complete" but I'm not going to Agape Ring to stop leveling cause I don't care about staying in a PVP tier. Is there any reason not to just keep dumping points into attunement for the rest of my life, or is there some amazing armor I'm going to want VIT for, or what?

http://i.imgur.com/v7yQ7ZX.jpg
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 3rd, 2015 @ 8:47pm

Fucking invasions are pissing me the FUCK off. I'm trying to do Drangleic castle and keep getting invaded by the same 2 dudes. One of them I'm pretty sure is an NPC but one of them has a **** swear word in his name and he's being a total fucking dickhead. If you burn a humanity at a bonfire does it make you immune from NPC invasions too? I think I'm going to do that so I can play this game in motherfucking peace for once.

In other news, I just realized I could dark infuse my staff to make its hex damage higher. It's not MUCH higher, since it was already at an S for scaling, but it pushed its damage just high enough that I can kill enemies in Shulva with 3 orbs that used to take 4 orbs, which is a huge deal.

Also traded out my trusty, old standby fire longsword with a magic mace, which does a lot more damage per swing and with a crit can one shot the enemies in Shulva rather than needing 2 backstabs or like 4-5 regular swings. Making that place so much easier now.

I needed to farm 3 chunks to upgrade a piece of armor so I signed up for some quick Bell PVP and holy fuck this hexer is ass at PVP. Magic is just so underpowered it's not even funny.

OH, and one of the times I got invaded I was at fucking MCDUFF infusing some of my gear... so like the dude fucking attacked me IN THE FUCKING SAME ROOM AS MCDUFF and dude got hit by my fucking poison cloud, so not only did I have to alt-f4 to keep from accidentally icing motherfucking McDuff, but then I had to run to a totally separate bonfire to warp to the forgiveness dude to absolve myself. Cause of fucking invasions again. So fucking sick of it. FUCKING SICK OF IT. I guess you must get an absolve on the house, or some sort of accident forgiveness for the sin happening during PVP cause it didn't cost any souls. Lucky in that regard I guess.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Jul 4th, 2015 @ 12:06am

There is an absolve in the Brightstone Cove area. That's the part past the 2nd rat area after Earthen Peak.

BTW, the reason you're getting invaded so much is because you keep ALT-F4ing every invasion. DS2 has a mechanic that makes you more prone to invasion if you keep quiting out of the game during invasions. You're in a downward spiral man. Just accept these invasions or it'll keep getting worse.

As far as your build goes you should take a look at this guy's build because it's dark/hex focused.

Hex/Dex Dark Mage

Vigor: 25, Endurance: 20, Vitality: 10, Attunement: 30, Strength: 16, Dexterity: 25, Adaptability: 17, Intelligence: 30, Faith: 30

Soul Level 175: Vigor: 50.

Stat Explanation: I soft capped Vigor and Endurance and threw 5 extra points into Vigor because I couldn't find a better home for those points. Vitality is low given the natural of the build is lightweight. Attunement is at 30 because you need 10 more points for just one additional slot. Strength and Dexterity are just high enough so we can use the weapons we like. Adaptability is just high enough to get 100 agility and 100/140 resists. Intelligence and Faith are both at 30 because dark damage barely increases after this point.

Main Hand Weapons: Chaos Blade, Silverblack Spear, Roaring Halberd, Pilgrim's Spontoon, Mace of the Insolent
Off Hand Weapons: Sunset Staff, Caitha's Chime, Sanctum Shield
Gear: Chaos Set (obviously)
Rings: Abyss Seal, Dark Clutch Ring, Third Dragon Ring, Chloranthy Ring
Backup Rings: Ring of the Evil Eye, Southern Ritual Band, Clear Bluestone Ring
Spells: Dark Weapon, Dark Orb, Dark Hail, Dark Fog, Affinity
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Jul 4th, 2015 @ 4:55am

I only alt-f4'd 1 invasion and it was the McDuff invasion which happened after the 5 times I was invaded in Drangleic. Also I'm pretty sure you're talking out of your ass. The mechanic you're speaking of is just the co-op ban I experienced earlier, which leaves you susceptible to invasion without any of the positive online interaction. That alt-f4 was literally the first one since my first ban.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 4th, 2015 @ 1:50pm

This DLC has been fucking brutal as a hexer. The lady boss I just killed was taking practically zero damage from my spells.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 4th, 2015 @ 4:13pm

Holy fuck the trio boss fight in Shulva. :cry:
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Jul 4th, 2015 @ 9:46pm

Wait for the final boss. That fight is so fucking hard.
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Jul 5th, 2015 @ 4:40am

I went to go do some of the vanilla game after finishing that DLC and it's fucking mental how much easier it is. Killed the mirror knight on the first try and then got pretty far into the watery area after him with no issues.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Jul 5th, 2015 @ 10:40am

How was the fight against Sihn? Fucker took me over 10 times to beat his flying ass.
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Jul 5th, 2015 @ 11:51am

It only took me 2 tries but I summoned some people. The 2 NPCs were useless tho, except as distractions. It's not that hard to not get hit by him, but my spells and attacks were doing like 130 damage tops to him, so it would have taken me all day by myself.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 5th, 2015 @ 2:34pm

Killed another big knight dude and got the King Ring. Now I gotta try and remember where all those locked doors have been.

Also, I don't remember where the rest of the shrines are to get to the rest of the DLC. I might have to look that up actually.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 6th, 2015 @ 9:35pm

Respec'd so I could use some rad armor. There's so much rad armor in this game!

http://i.imgur.com/vYgFi99.jpg

Can confirm that this character is still useless in PVP. I did some Bellkeeping for like 2 hours today and got like 3 chunks. So fucking bad. I've been in the middle of transitioning to some new gear, a new 2 handed sword (I hate 2 handed swords so far in this game) and some non-upgraded armor, so that could be a part of the problem, but I still just think magic is kinda crap for the most part in PVP. Dark fog (poison) is the only useful spell I have in PVP and at the soul level I'm at everybody has enough HP that they can just withstand a full duration of it, if I can even manage to land it on someone. It's pretty easy to roll out of it. It's SO hard to land hits with slow melee weapons and when they do land I don't feel like they do enough damage to have been worth the effort. I also fe
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Jul 7th, 2015 @ 2:28am

Man, your Adaptability is still real low. Don't you notice a lag in raising your shield at all?

PvP has always boiled down to quick strikes or backstabs. The backstabs work a bit differently in DS2 so they aren't too hard to dodge but I remember most PvP invaders would use a katana that was buffed for Bleed damage. Shit would stack and be a huge pain in the ass more than poison because most armor doesn't offer any real Bleed resist. Magic is easy to dodge, as you say.

I remember when Patrick Kelpek was streaming Demon's Souls he would get invaded by an asshole who used this spear that would break all your gear. Be glad you don't have to deal with that bullshit :lol:
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Jul 7th, 2015 @ 5:10am

All adaptability does is raise your agility, which I get a ton of from attunement. When you guys play these games do you just level every stat evenly and end up with a character that's all 30's?
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Jul 7th, 2015 @ 9:45am

I usually play warrior sorcerers who use heavy shields, light armor and bows. Basically a long range turtler. I think I focused on my END, and INT. Raised my STR, DEX, ATN, and VIT only to match equipment requirements. I remember my health wasn't that high and ADP was around 15-20 for +100 agility. I didn't use Hexes so FTH was super low.
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Jul 7th, 2015 @ 11:49am

Basically the way it works is agility can be raised with either adaptability or attunement. If you're playing a magic focused character you're going to get most of your agility from attunement (especially attunement as high as mine) so adaptability is nearly pointless. You don't have to get to 100+ agility, it just adds a few more invincibility frames to your roll. I'm not sure where the shield raising thing comes into play but I've never had a problem with it not raising fast enough, and I can't see any mention of that being a feature of the stat anywhere on the wiki.

Anyways, I just beat the game. I still have 1.5 DLCs left to finish, but I found an infinite soul farming location and really wanted access to unlimited titanite chunks, so I just went ahead and beat the final boss (who was simple). Now that I have unlimited souls and crafting materials, it's time to max out all my gear, finish the DLC and then NG+. I fucked up an NPC quest real bad (the sorcerer NPC Aldia's Keep - I pulled the lever and freed him before I even talked to him :( ) so I won't be able to complete all the spell achievements in this playthru. Bummed a bit, but I wasn't planning on being done with this game anyways.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 7th, 2015 @ 1:05pm

I really need to stop summoning NPCs for boss fights. They're so retarded they don't help at all. I killed that ancient dragon and it probably took twice as long since I brought 2 NPCs with me who died fucking instantly.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Jul 7th, 2015 @ 1:21pm

Which dragon? The optional boss at the dragon castle? Impressive because that boss is supposed to be really hard. Go join the Pilgrams of the Dark covanent and kill Darklurker

Speaking of NPCs did you do kill the priest lady yet?
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Jul 7th, 2015 @ 2:30pm

I already killed the darklurker. He was actually tough, but only because he spams attacks so much when he splits. I had him down to about 10% HP three times and got greedy trying to go for the killing blow over healing and playing safe, so I kept dying. Plus I kept tilting cause it was annoying fighting the 4 monsters on the way to his lair. The dragon was called ancient dragon, he's the big one on top of the mountain that gives you the item to go into the giant memories. He was not hard at all you just stand behind his hind legs and beat him when he lands. He breathes fire under his crotch sometimes but if you stand outside of his legs it doesn't hit you. Not sure what priest lady.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Jul 7th, 2015 @ 8:05pm

I'm talking about Licia. You save her after killing the 1st Dragonrider boss in Heide's Tower of Flame and she becomes a faith trainer in Majula. Use the Crushed Eye Orb by her and she'll attack you and show her true colors.

Kudos on beating Darklurker. I came close a few times but always got fucked by his illusions spamming laserbeams and eventually ran out of humanity and didn't feel like farming for more.
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Jul 7th, 2015 @ 10:30pm

God I love going back to old Giant Bomb videos on these games after I've been thru and mastered them. In this video Vinny is in Drangleic Castle trying to kill shit with a Pursuer Greatsword +2 :lol: NOW I understand why Dark Souls fans come off as so fucking insufferable, because watching someone play the game "wrong" is hilariously infuriating. There's no reason not to have a +10 weapon when you're 80% done with the game. That's all not to mention the fact that he's fatrolling around with +1 Havel's gear at like 25% of the total armor as my mixed set of light and medium armor with max upgrades. :lol: He's talking about how hard of a time he had going thru Iron Keep and that place was soooooo easy for me. 2 dark orbs per enemy all day every day.

This particular video I've watched 4 times now. Once when it first came out, back when I had less than zero interest in this franchise, again after I had started Dark Souls 1 when I was hungry for any Dark Souls related media, once when I started Dark Souls 2 and had at least SOME idea how the sequel's mechanics in particular worked, and now again for the fourth time after I'd beaten the entire game. It's amazing how much my perspective has shifted all three times. I suspected Vinny was just bad at the game, but he's really just kind of clueless on how to maximize his efficiency. These games really are NOT that difficult at all, even tho there are frustrating situations in them and I died a lot more than I do in a traditional game. They're easy because they're pretty easy to exploit. By not doing that, you're playing on hard mode regardless of your build. What an amazing franchise. I so can't wait for the third game. I'm definitely in day 1.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Jul 8th, 2015 @ 1:37am

dakazu

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 8th, 2015 @ 8:11am

I remember when you used those GB videos as gospel. Happy to see that you've now seen the light hahaha. ;)
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Jul 9th, 2015 @ 9:43am

Ahahahaha, this annotated disclaimer at the start of this youtube video called Top 10 Dark Souls 2 Weapons or whatever, is fucking hilarious and perfectly sums up the dumpster tier fanbase of this series:

"GUYS WE GET IT, a good player can win with any weapon! we already knew this and thought this, but that argument isnt what this video is about. its crazy that we actually need to say this so you all stop shitting yourselves but this is our opinion (we might say its fact in the video but its hyperbole) for what WE THINK are the best 10 weapons, no we dont have many greatswords or your specific favorite weapons in our list, does it matter? no it doesnt."
LiQuid

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics