Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: Dark Souls 2

Postby LiQuid » Jul 9th, 2015 @ 11:34am

Beat Sir Alonne. Tried 5 times solo before I decided to abuse the two summons they give you and beat him on the first try. I don't even feel bad since FromSoft decided it would be fun to make my spells all do bullshit damage to every boss in this lame ass DLC. All I have is the snowy DLC left and I'm done with all this garbage forever.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 9th, 2015 @ 6:30pm

The DS2 thread on GAF is amazing. It's like hundreds of posts bitching about how hard the DLC is. :lol:
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 9th, 2015 @ 8:07pm

Only the optional boss fight in Ivory King DLC left for me and then I've beaten all the Dark Souls 2 content. Gotta get whatever last minute farming I need done and then I'm gonna roll over to NG+
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Jul 10th, 2015 @ 12:12am

DLC stuff is hard but I'm OK with it because the game proper is pretty easy in comparison.

Super impressed you're doing that optional boss. Traversing the ice fields and blizzard to get to those 2 ice tigers is already a huge fucking pain so I passed on that shit.
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Jul 10th, 2015 @ 5:05am

You're so fucking weak willed, I can't believe you call yourself a fan of these games. You're a fucking casul.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 10th, 2015 @ 5:07am

I love how you've been lying to me this whole time, claiming you've beaten this game yet it keeps becoming more and more apparent that you just cried and gave up every time something got difficult. :lol:
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 10th, 2015 @ 1:19pm

Haha, beat the pets on my first try (today). Dakazu, you should really think about gitting gud. :D
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 10th, 2015 @ 2:18pm

Vendrick's Blessing

If you talk to Vendrick after obtaining his crown (King's Crown) and the other three DLC crowns (Crown of the Sunken King, Crown of the Old Iron King and Crown of the Ivory King) a short cutscene will play. Afterwards the three DLC crowns and the King's Crown will provide an extra hidden effect when you're wearing one of them:

When you die you will no longer go hollow / become more hollow.
You are immune to Curse.

I don't go hollow anymore when I die!!! NG+ is going to be a breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze! Boy Vendrick sure was a piece of shit. Recovering from being hit even once was so fucking hard. By the way, I read bosses like Ancient Dragon and Vendrick are supposed to basically one-shot you, but I have not had that problem and I realize now it's because I have 50 VGR. Ancient Dragon's room-sweeping fire breath in particular is supposed to be lethal damage but I was able to sustain a hit and heal thru it, which is probably why that particular boss was so easy for me. Same with Vendrick. I could take 2 hits from him MAX (sometimes just one) before I needed to heal up, but that's fucking hard when his swings all track to the player so fucking much. You basically have to wait for a window in his swing recovery and either heal or take a swing at him. Even after figuring out his pattern it still took me half dozen tries. Probably harder than Darklurker to be honest, but not as annoying because you didn't have to spend a humanity to get back to him.

For me the hardest bosses in the entire game were the Sunken King DLC optional boss (the one where it's 3 dudes, a guy in Havel's armor, a swordsman and an archer), Darklurker, The King's Pets (Ivory King optional boss I just killed) and Vendrick (because you basically have to perfect dodge his bullshit tracking hits). The rest of the game was fairly easy, including the final boss who was basically countered by wearing a Ring of Binding, though if I had waited until now to fight her, I would just be immune to her curse anyways...

Overall, I'd say if Dark Souls 1 is A++++++ Game of the Year/Generation/Forever, Dark Souls 2 is a SOLID A---------- Despite the annoying fucking DLC areas, I still had a ton of fun playing DS2. I'm not going to be done with either game any time soon, tho as I think I've said before, going back to DS1's 30FPS and its more archaic combat, equipment and upgrading systems is going to be a little difficult. I really, really, really hope DS3 manages to be a combination of DS1's masterpiece-grade level design and DS2's combat and mechanics refinement WITHOUT all the forced difficulty, developer middle finger bullshit (like arrows that bend mid-air to follow the player - it fucking happens, believe me).

I've seen a little footage of Demon's Souls and to be honest it's probably kind of a blessing that I don't have the means to play it. Its UI looks like a massive step back from DS1/2 and something about the character movement looks especially janky as well. It probably would have been amazing and revelatory the way DS1 was had I played it first, but I'm glad DS1 was my first Souls game. I'm actually kind of bummed that DS3 will be the last of these games and I hope From makes another series like this that isn't confined to Sony hardware.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 10th, 2015 @ 2:39pm

LiQuid wrote:
Vendrick's Blessing

If you talk to Vendrick after obtaining his crown (King's Crown) and the other three DLC crowns (Crown of the Sunken King, Crown of the Old Iron King and Crown of the Ivory King) a short cutscene will play. Afterwards the three DLC crowns and the King's Crown will provide an extra hidden effect when you're wearing one of them:

When you die you will no longer go hollow / become more hollow.
You are immune to Curse.

I don't go hollow anymore when I die!!! NG+ is going to be a breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze! Boy Vendrick sure was a piece of shit. Recovering from being hit even once was so fucking hard. By the way, I read bosses like Ancient Dragon and Vendrick are supposed to basically one-shot you, but I have not had that problem and I realize now it's because I have 50 VGR. Ancient Dragon's room-sweeping fire breath in particular is supposed to be lethal damage but I was able to sustain a hit and heal thru it, which is probably why that particular boss was so easy for me. Same with Vendrick. I could take 2 hits from him MAX (sometimes just one) before I needed to heal up, but that's fucking hard when his swings all track to the player so fucking much. You basically have to wait for a window in his swing recovery and either heal or take a swing at him. Even after figuring out his pattern it still took me half dozen tries. Probably harder than Darklurker to be honest, but not as annoying because you didn't have to spend a humanity to get back to him.

For me the hardest bosses in the entire game were the Sunken King DLC optional boss (the one where it's 3 dudes, a guy in Havel's armor, a swordsman and an archer), Darklurker, The King's Pets (Ivory King optional boss I just killed) and Vendrick (because you basically have to perfect dodge his bullshit tracking hits). The rest of the game was fairly easy, including the final boss who was basically countered by wearing a Ring of Binding, though if I had waited until now to fight her, I would just be immune to her curse anyways...

Overall, I'd say if Dark Souls 1 is A++++++ Game of the Year/Generation/Forever, Dark Souls 2 is a SOLID A---------- Despite the annoying fucking DLC areas, I still had a ton of fun playing DS2. I'm not going to be done with either game any time soon, tho as I think I've said before, going back to DS1's 30FPS and its more archaic combat, equipment and upgrading systems is going to be a little difficult. I really, really, really hope DS3 manages to be a combination of DS1's masterpiece-grade level design and DS2's combat and mechanics refinement WITHOUT all the forced difficulty, developer middle finger bullshit (like arrows that bend mid-air to follow the player - it fucking happens, believe me).

I've seen a little footage of Demon's Souls and to be honest it's probably kind of a blessing that I don't have the means to play it. Its UI looks like a massive step back from DS1/2 and something about the character movement looks especially janky as well. It probably would have been amazing and revelatory the way DS1 was had I played it first, but I'm glad DS1 was my first Souls game. I'm actually kind of bummed that DS3 will be the last of these games and I hope From makes another series like this that isn't confined to Sony hardware.

Nice, glad you loved them so much. They're really fantastic games. See? DS2 wasn't the shitshow you thought it was going to be!

Shame you're unable to check out Demon's Souls, for the small things it got wrong (and were then improved in DS1 and 2), it also got a shitton of things right. I still have my collector's box for it <33

I really need to go back and finish DS2's DLC, it sounds great!
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Jul 10th, 2015 @ 3:00pm

I dunno how you got that impression but the DLC is some of the worst content among both of these games. The reward for having beaten it all is kind of nice, and yea you could technically be a shitlord like Dakazu and skip the optional areas, but I'd just as soon rather it not exist personally.

I just discovered (via being summoned into another person's game) that there's another boss after the final boss of the game, so there's technically a boss I haven't beaten in this game yet. I just read that a bonfire ascetic can be used if you kill the final boss before Vendrick and do the DLC, so I guess I'm gonna do that before I NG+ I need to get all the way up to NG++ in order to buy the remaining spells I need to finish this game's achievements, so I'm kinda eager to just roll it over and get on with it...
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jul 10th, 2015 @ 3:09pm

Dude, can't believe you've gone back to chievo-chasing
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jul 10th, 2015 @ 3:35pm

I mean, if you consider trying to complete these two specific games that I love more than pretty much any game I've played in a decade being off the wagon then yeah, I guess, sucks to be me...
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Jul 10th, 2015 @ 4:12pm

Hey man, Cross didn't play the DLCs and Jen didn't even finish the game yet.
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Jul 10th, 2015 @ 5:16pm

LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 10th, 2015 @ 8:50pm

I don't own the DLCs and I never finished the game.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 10th, 2015 @ 9:11pm

Shitlords!!!!!!!!!!!
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 10th, 2015 @ 9:13pm

You guys should get this shit on PC so we can COOP.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 10th, 2015 @ 11:37pm

kenzo wrote:Dude, can't believe you've gone back to chievo-chasing

You know, as soon as you see me playing games like Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard on its hardest difficulty settings in the name of earning pointless achievements, then come back and talk some shit. These are some of the first games that I'm achievement hunting in out of PLEASURE since like Alpha Protocol...
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 11th, 2015 @ 12:11am

dakazu wrote:Hey man, Cross didn't play the DLCs and Jen didn't even finish the game yet.

Wut
I did finish it. I just never finished the DLCs because the Destiny Beta came out just before Sunken King released so I never completed or touched it again.
Jenn04

Postby dakazu » Jul 11th, 2015 @ 12:25am

You haven't even finished Bloodborne Jenn!!! What kinda From Software fan are you!?
dakazu

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 11th, 2015 @ 8:10am

dakazu wrote:You haven't even finished Bloodborne Jenn!!! What kinda From Software fan are you!?

Oh no! My Internet Cred™!
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Jul 11th, 2015 @ 8:33am

You guys are all chumps as far as I'm concerned.

LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 11th, 2015 @ 8:51am

I love these GheyForGames guys.

Something about people with silly Scottish accents bitching about shitty videogames pushes all my buttons.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 13th, 2015 @ 2:31pm

I'm kinda sad, Vendrick's Blessing doesn't carry over on the crowns in NG+ :( It's not reeeally a problem because I have like 70 something humanity, but I was really looking forward to not having to deal with the hollowing mechanic while going thru the game again. I feel like I've earned that respite. Fortunately, even on NG+ with all its new enemy placements and wall to wall dark phantoms, it's pretty damn easy. No OCD completionism going on in this run. I'm gonna get my 4 primal fires lit and bee line it to the end.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 14th, 2015 @ 2:46pm

I've left my game idle in Things Betwixt over night and all day today and I have yet to get a Bone of Order spawn. I keep seeing it will spawn after "10+ hours" but I'm beginning to think it's a myth or they got rid of it in the Scholar of the First Sin version cause it won't show for me.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Jul 14th, 2015 @ 7:32pm

The player only gets one Bone of Order when they start the game. You do not receive any extra bones upon starting NG+ or higher.
After "a certain number" of hours, a Bone of Order will spawn at the location where the game begins in Things Betwixt. The range of time for a new Bone to spawn appears to be 10-14 hours of gameplay without illegal disconnects after using a Bone of Order.
You may need to quit and reload your game for the Bone of Order to spawn at Things Betwixt or travel to/from another area to trigger a reload of the map. If the item still does not show up, then you need to wait longer.
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Jul 14th, 2015 @ 7:45pm

I know all that. It hasn't shown up after like 20+ hours.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 13th, 2015 @ 6:16pm

Fuck I forgot how to play Dark Souls. Why are my HP and stamina bars so small? I keep trying to press X to sheath my weapon before drinking a potion. What is Dark Souls?!?! Somebody help! I only intended on putting my NG+ and NG++ runs of this game to finish its achievements for a couple days but it turned into a month and now Monster Hunter instincts have taken over all my Dark Souls instincts. I'm at a fucking awful part of this game too in my run (Shrine of Amana) which is going to make it even that much more frustrating to go back to.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Oct 11th, 2015 @ 10:25am

Tried to play some Dark Souls 2 again this morning. Fucking Shrine of Amana is the actual fucking worst.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Oct 15th, 2015 @ 10:19am

Getting sniped by homing bolts, unreliable instakill terrain, inability to pull single enemies at a time: that place is a trifecta of shit.
dakazu

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics