Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Big thread for stuff about Next Xbox and Next Playstation!

Postby darfox8 » Jan 11th, 2013 @ 1:38pm

So I've been reading some neogaf threads about next gen and it's gotten me pretty excited. Yaw know me, I get excited kinda easily for this stuff. So I figure we make a thread about it so we can dump any new rumors or stuff in here.

Well recently people have talked about the Xbox 360-2 having 8 gigs of RAM and the PS4 having 4, but with the catch that PS4's RAM is gonna be gddr5 and Xbox is gonna be like gddr3 or something like that. As someone who knows nothing about this shit I'm pretty sure PS4 has the clear advantage. Kidding aside, some people have described it being the difference between "more" or "faster" RAM.

There's also the rumors of the NEXbox also being Kinect 2 and similar rumors with the PS4 bringing Move shit packed in. Or a freaky new Dual Shock that splits into two sub-controllers.

And finally most people are leaning towards Sony announcing before Microsoft. Which would mean that they're announcing very soon. Destination PlayStation is on Feb 25 but that is kinda low key so who knows.

Who knows about any of this. It should go without saying that these rumors don't really mean anything because even if they're sourced and legit it can all change behind the scenes by the time it actually come out.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Re: Big thread for stuff about Next Xbox and Next Playstatio

Postby LiQuid » Jan 11th, 2013 @ 1:55pm

8 x 3 = 24

4 x 5 = 20

Seems clear to me.
LiQuid

Postby puppybox » Jan 11th, 2013 @ 2:17pm

The more I hear about Oculus Rift the more interested I get. A lot of the impressions coming out of CES seem great. I much more interested in things like this or the illumiroom Microsoft video Mr_Ex posted in the other thread then whatever spec bumps the new consoles will have. Hopefully Sony and Microsoft throw every wacky idea at the wall to see what sticks. Everyone will be trying to replicate the success of motion controls from this gen.

Also The Cruncheons podcast had some interesting next generation predictions in their latest episode.
puppybox

Postby Konanda » Jan 11th, 2013 @ 7:38pm

Don't know about the rumors but GDDR3 is based on DDR2 SDRAM architecture and GDDR5 is based on DDR3 SDRAM architecture. (GDDR is bascially a graphics specialized version of DDR SDRAM) So the main difference is that being based on DDR3 SDRAM, GDDR5 has twice the transfer rate of GDDR3. So yes, if those rumors are true it (PS3 successor) would have faster RAM. However, if the Xbox 360 successor is using GDDR4 (based on DDR3) than the difference is much less though.

Funniest part is once GDDR6 specification comes out based on DDR4 SDRAM (DDR4 specification released in September 2012 by JEDEC) in 2014 making the consoles dated hardware wise around 2015 to 2016 or so.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Jan 11th, 2013 @ 8:30pm

How is that the funniest part? New consoles are obsolete out the door - that's the way of the world and always has been. If anything that's a joke that's been horribly worn out.

Speculation is retarded. But if this pans out I'd say it's about what we all think. Which is to say that these predictions are horribly horribly boring ones.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 11th, 2013 @ 8:40pm

Yeah, this is the most trivial information you can possibly come up with prior to a console announcement. I remember back in the day tards were losing their fucking minds over the fact that Xbox 360 was only going to have "512 MB of ram" when most laymen don't have a clue what that even entails in a console. You can't really make a direct comparison between what a component does in a PC vs. what it does in a console.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 11th, 2013 @ 10:33pm

LiQuid wrote:You can't really make a direct comparison between what a component does in a PC vs. what it does in a console.
This. A cellphone's operating system requires a few megabytes of ram to operate. Modern versions of Windows require multiple gigs just to run smoothly. Not all machines are created equally.
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 12:29pm

Man... all these assholes on the internet are like "You wont have to wait long for the rumors to stop WINKWINKWINK". And I'm like noooooooo fuck you! Say something or dont but you being all sly like that is tacky.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby Konanda » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 7:18pm

kenzo wrote:How is that the funniest part? New consoles are obsolete out the door - that's the way of the world and always has been. If anything that's a joke that's been horribly worn out.

Speculation is retarded. But if this pans out I'd say it's about what we all think. Which is to say that these predictions are horribly horribly boring ones.

Mostly that all the speculation of it is about technology that will be date pretty much on arrival, making it even more trivial. (It's more the pointlessness of the arguements than being obsolete when they come out)
Konanda

Postby darfox8 » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 1:24pm

http://www.emol.com/noticias/tecnologia ... s-mas.html

It's a Spanish interview with some guy in Sony Home Entertainment, which means he probably isn't even directly involved with the games, but when asked about the possibilities of a PS4 he says "That's all secret" but he will say that "The guys in the PlayStation division are getting stuff ready and all I can say is that we're focused on E3 that's scheduled for June, so an announcement can take place then or even before that like May for instance."

It's a really weird quote in that it sounds like an intentional leak or an executive talking out of his ass. Either way it'd be cool to have an announcement before hand and at E3 have the huge blowout. That's kinda what MS did with the 360 but they ended up having one of the dumbest press conferences ever. The one with the slanted stage.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 2:07pm

Saying, "look forward to E3 for something" isn't a leak, darfox. It's like, common sense.
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 3:21pm

I meant "intentional hype building". He sez it's secret but then he sez when to expect it, he shouldn't of even said it was a secret. He should of just said "Ohhh, well Sony is proud of the PS3 and we're always looking at the market for changes in the consumer climate." or some round about thing like that. Basically what Kaz said at CES. He either doesn't know what he's talking about or he's being a wink-wink-wanker.
darfox8

Postby Konanda » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 4:41pm

ITT: darfox8's love/hate relationship with the buildup to the announcement of new videogame machines.
Konanda

Postby darfox8 » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 4:49pm

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU... I want next gen stuff so bad my dick hurts!
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 4:57pm

That's gross, dar. And I'm kinda surprised that you of all people want new consoles. I would have thought that you wouldn't want new consoles since you're broke and can't afford them. That's definitely how I am. New consoles are just new things I have to spend money on, and I'd rather save that money or buy games for the consoles I already have and am totally happy with.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 5:08pm

kenzo wrote:That's gross, dar. And I'm kinda surprised that you of all people want new consoles. I would have thought that you wouldn't want new consoles since you're broke and can't afford them. That's definitely how I am. New consoles are just new things I have to spend money on, and I'd rather save that money or buy games for the consoles I already have and am totally happy with.

I think darfox likes the spectacle of it, even if he's not going to be getting a new box right away.
Konanda

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 7:55pm

I'm with darfox. I want new consoles NOW
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 8:31pm

Mr_eX wrote:I'm with darfox. I want new consoles NOW
Says the guy who buys every new iteration of the iPad and the iPhone. I made a very conscious choice years ago to be a console gamer because I didn't like to buy new devices all the time. This gen has been the best simply because it's gone on for forever.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 8:54pm

It's gone on way too long and game sales have been declining because of it.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby darfox8 » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 9:05pm

I can't argue with having a great value and I admit that I haven't felt like this generation has taken too long. I remember when the PS3 was announced I looked back and felt like the PS2 had already been out since forever, but as I stand now I look back at when the PS3 came out and it feels like only yesterday(when it obviously is longer than the PS2 period). So konanda is mostly right when he said I enjoy the spectacle. Same way how I love The Phantom Pain is a stealth Metal Gear game, I love hearing different opinions and rumors.

Also it'd be cool for the console version of a multi-plat game to be as good as the PC version, atleast for a year or two. I really want to try out Far Cry 3 and Skyrim and I'm sure I'll be ok with the PS3 version(more or less) but the PC version looks and plays twice as hot.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 9:47pm

The only people who get upset at console versions of games not being 'as good as the PC version' are the Arthur Gieses of the world.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 14th, 2013 @ 7:24am

darfox8 wrote:So I've been reading some neogaf threads about next gen and it's gotten me pretty excited. Yaw know me, I get excited kinda easily for this stuff. So I figure we make a thread about it so we can dump any new rumors or stuff in here.

Well recently people have talked about the Xbox 360-2 having 8 gigs of RAM and the PS4 having 4, but with the catch that PS4's RAM is gonna be gddr5 and Xbox is gonna be like gddr3 or something like that. As someone who knows nothing about this shit I'm pretty sure PS4 has the clear advantage. Kidding aside, some people have described it being the difference between "more" or "faster" RAM.

There's also the rumors of the NEXbox also being Kinect 2 and similar rumors with the PS4 bringing Move shit packed in. Or a freaky new Dual Shock that splits into two sub-controllers.

And finally most people are leaning towards Sony announcing before Microsoft. Which would mean that they're announcing very soon. Destination PlayStation is on Feb 25 but that is kinda low key so who knows.

Who knows about any of this. It should go without saying that these rumors don't really mean anything because even if they're sourced and legit it can all change behind the scenes by the time it actually come out.

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jan 14th, 2013 @ 3:21pm

Mr_eX wrote:It's gone on way too long and game sales have been declining because of it.
Correlation /= Causation. I blame economics, personally.
kenzo

Postby meDotJS » Jan 14th, 2013 @ 5:57pm

The 7th generation has had a couple of good years (2007 and 2010 for example), but for the most part this generation has been a drag and pretty stagnant. I honestly can't wait for the 8th generation if things like Destiny and Watch Dogs are what we can expect from next generation games.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby kenzo » Jan 14th, 2013 @ 6:07pm

meDotJS wrote:The 7th generation has had a couple of good years (2007 and 2010 for example), but for the most part this generation has been a drag and pretty stagnant.
Somebody hasn't been playing portable games. Pretty much all the innovation in gaming this generation has been on handhelds (and I'm not even talking about iphones and shit here). Home consoles has become a boom or bust business of big "AAA" titles that are forced to not take risks in the quest for profitability. All the ingenuity and innovation has moved to handhelds.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Jan 14th, 2013 @ 6:17pm

While we are talking about next gen consoles here's Microsoft's next conceptual mid-next gen gimmick.

Konanda

Postby kenzo » Jan 14th, 2013 @ 6:26pm

eX posted that in the CES thread. It's just the dumb ambi-light gimimck but taken to the next level of retarded. Honestly, if you're doing shit like this, might as well just forget the TV all together and put a projector on a blank wall.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 14th, 2013 @ 7:36pm

kenzo wrote:
meDotJS wrote:The 7th generation has had a couple of good years (2007 and 2010 for example), but for the most part this generation has been a drag and pretty stagnant.
Somebody hasn't been playing portable games. Pretty much all the innovation in gaming this generation has been on handhelds (and I'm not even talking about iphones and shit here). Home consoles has become a boom or bust business of big "AAA" titles that are forced to not take risks in the quest for profitability. All the ingenuity and innovation has moved to handhelds.

Sorry dude, but you keep spouting this nonsense and it's wrong. All the ingenuity and innovation in gaming has moved to the digital space. Handhelds are a wasteland. Triple A games are all rehashes. Indie devs making $10-20 games are doing the most profound shit with games for YEARS now. Even if I don't particular care for all the bullshit art games. You're not going to convince me anything on a handheld system in the last half a decade has done anything as innovative as FTL.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 14th, 2013 @ 8:43pm

Liquid is 100% correct.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jan 14th, 2013 @ 8:56pm

Infinite Space is basically proto-FTL, but way more obtuse and a disposable anime-story.
kenzo

Next
Forum Statistics