Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Game night game suggestions

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 15th, 2015 @ 2:11pm

Thinking about starting a game night for a new game. Any suggestions?

Maybe CS GO?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Re: Game night game suggestions

Postby LiQuid » Mar 15th, 2015 @ 3:10pm

Firefall

LiQuid

Postby Rodney » Mar 15th, 2015 @ 3:42pm

I miss game night. Jen does too. How about this one F2P game...
Rodney

Postby LiQuid » Mar 15th, 2015 @ 4:11pm

Firefall is F2P.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 15th, 2015 @ 8:32pm

So is Defiance
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Mar 15th, 2015 @ 8:42pm

The structure of Defiance is probably too stock MMO for casual game nights. It relies a lot on a pretty typical WoW-style quest system to progress. Firefall is kind of perfect. It's just a sandbox with all kinds of random content scattered around it. Also I think the actual gameplay in Firefall just feels better than Defiance too. Jumping around, jetpacking, and hang gliding are really fun. Defiance does have the better vehicles tho, by a mile... I dunno they would both be awesome IMO and I'd play either of them a lot more if other people were playing them too.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Mar 15th, 2015 @ 8:49pm

Along those same lines, I have Warframe installed too but I haven't tried it yet. It does seem kind of cool based on the videos Jeff from Giant Bomb has done on it but it seemed similar enough to Firefall and Defiance that I haven't felt the need to introduce a third MMO-lite shooter into my rotation. Not opposed to trying it out tho if others do.

You might think I'm being jokey, but I think all of these games are at least worth considering. Firefall actually really grabbed me very quickly when I first tried it just based on how cool it felt to move around in. I haven't played it in months, but that was because I had already played it a LOT. LIke I maxed out the levels on like 3 or 4 frames, which is the equivalent of a class in an MMO. It also has easily the most kind free to play/cash shop integration I've ever seen in game like that.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Mar 15th, 2015 @ 8:54pm

I think it would be really cool for a game night game to feature some real persistence and not like minecraft/rust style persistence that's reset every couple week out of necessity or fear of the game being inhospitable to new players. This is another thing that both Defiance and Firefall excel at. Both of those games are exceptionally friendly for new players and there's little restriction on what new and veteran players can partake in together.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Mar 15th, 2015 @ 9:09pm

Mr_eX wrote:Maybe CS GO?
Why the change of heart? I was saying this months ago.
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Mar 15th, 2015 @ 10:25pm

Because when you're constantly poo pooing everything Game Night for like a year+ we kind of don't listen to you. You might have a different view of it but I only heard, "Why you play bad game?" while TF2 was ending then "Rust is dead game, TF2 better." while Rust was going. Your voice on the matter becomes Negative Zone. So even if you had given good advice it sounds less like good advice and more like trolling.

Ex knows that Rust had it's down swing way faster than TF2(likely a general symptom of the community but also the game not being the best for one-off nights), but we tried to make it work and we had plenty of fun along the way, & now he wants to think of other possibilities.

I asked him, to ask Higgins, to send the call out on the big podcast, because I figure a lot of people who listen to the Geekbox would probably like to play on a Geekbox server, especially if they had a say in the game. The current spew of "What are they playing? Rust? Destiny? Sure, go play that with them." Probably isn't that enticing to new comers.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby LiQuid » Mar 15th, 2015 @ 10:47pm

Man you're really hung up on reviving this dead community lately aren't you? I guess if you're trying to legitimize game night and bring new people in, maybe something more popular is appropriate. If you guys are so hung up on attaining legitimacy why not just play whatever the newest FotM game is? That bad Battlefield game just came out didn't it? Play that for a month and then move on to whatever the next thing is.

I honestly don't think you're going to get much support for anything outside the small circle of us because Ryan doesn't actually care. It bothers me less than it seems to bother some of you guys, but it is what it is. Him even continuing to mention game night every week has become an in-joke as tired as the weekly Epstein blather.

Like I said in the other thread where this came up, us handful here barely even count as the Geekbox community anymore. All of that seems to have moved to the Facebook group. I don't know what we are anymore. We're kind of our own thing now. This forum, our mumble, game night, all of this seems to operate autonomously and independent of the podcast or Ryan Scott. You can blame the inhospitability of people like myself and kenzo for people leaving, or Dota 2 for people vacating mumble, but honestly this place has existed since 2009 and the mumble for years as well, and normal people just grow out of this type of shit. People leave things for a lot of reasons. People get married and have a kid, start listening on iTunes (and thus no reason to visit the website/forum), move to newfangled social media other than dated-ass forums or much more personal VOIP. We're a dying breed guys. Those few that actually enjoy typing (if not reading) long-winded diatribes about trivial bullshit on the internet. I'm sorry if this is a shock to you.
LiQuid

Postby darfox8 » Mar 15th, 2015 @ 11:05pm

It's literally about having fun.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby LiQuid » Mar 15th, 2015 @ 11:20pm

Well if it's just about having fun then someone should try downloading Firefall to check it out. What do you have to lose?
LiQuid

Postby meDotJS » Mar 16th, 2015 @ 12:02am

I actually have to agree with Liquid on the Firefall recommendation, and those words coming out of my mouth just feel weird, especially since they're not actually coming out of my mouth since this is a text based forum.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby dakazu » Mar 16th, 2015 @ 3:01am

If you want to bring back the TF2 crowd then it's futile. Numbers dwindled the last few months you were hosting TF2 game nights, so it proves that they've just moved on. We gained a few new people like Lord Skeletor from Rust but after they updated to experimental mode things haven't panned out because of the constant updates and server wipes.

If you really want to bring it lots of people, play something popular like Liquid suggested. Minecraft would be perfect for this but I know how Ex feels about Minecraft and we've tried this before with mediocre success.

The thing is, TF2 game nights were fun because of the allchat. We'd shoot the shit about lots of random stuff while playing the game super casually. The mumble server has replaced that and it's available 24/7 unlike Game night which is only weekly. Mumble replaced the need for Game night and then DOTA2 weeded out everyone else. I personally don't mind that too much but I do miss talking to people like Jenn and Rodney on a more regular basis.

Firefall seems like a decent suggestions but I'm worried that level discrepancies between super casuals and hardcore grinders will cause people not to really play together. I'd suggest doing Cards Against Humanity if you really want to bring back casual people. It's free and supports a large amount of players and is perfect for the mumble server.
dakazu

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 16th, 2015 @ 6:29am

Its not really about bringing people back its about staying fresh and having fun.

Problem with cards against humanity is it would get old after about two weeks. Once you've seen the cards the jokes are dead.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby CrossXhunteR » Mar 16th, 2015 @ 6:33am

I do not enjoy CAH. It was okay the first time or two.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Mar 16th, 2015 @ 6:39am

darfox8 wrote:So even if you had given good advice it sounds less like good advice and more like trolling.
Alright buddy.

For the record, I don't know why y'all try ALL of these suggestions. Not to enter a negative zone or anything, but I'm of the mind that none of these games really stand a good shot at maintaining any long lasting traction... but you might as well try the shotgun method to see if anything sticks and have fun trying new shit in the meanwhile. I'd even recommend switching back to TF2, if only for a little bit. I have no interest in it, but I'm sure you could rope a few people back into things with it. Except CAH. But eX already touched on the issues with that.

I still think CS:Go is an OK idea. Sure not playing 5v5ranked super cereal mode might not be ideal, but you can still have fun with a bunch of people shooting the shit and playing casually, and it's popular enough you're bound to get some traction there. Only real problem is server costs; I don't know why CS:Go servers are so damned expensive.

Sure wish Overwatch was sooner rather than later.
kenzo

Postby Jenn04 » Mar 16th, 2015 @ 8:36am

I'd be down for trying some CS:GO! Firefall looks interesting but the character models look like complete ass. If the gameplay makes up for it, it might be worth checking out?
Jenn04

Postby meDotJS » Mar 16th, 2015 @ 9:02am

The gameplay in Firefall more than makes up for it. Also it's a game where leveled characters and new characters can all fuck around with each other without too much of an issue. We could just group up, run around the world, and do the missions/events we run across.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby LiQuid » Mar 16th, 2015 @ 9:59am

I kind of can't believe there is another proponent for playing Firefall here. It's a little unfortunate that it's meDot but I'm not going to get choosy about my support here.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Mar 16th, 2015 @ 10:03am

And yes, going back to Firefall after playing FF14 for a couple months, it was hilarious how assy the character models (particularly the faces) are.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 16th, 2015 @ 10:27am

It looks like they dropped the price of CS GO servers. Can get a 16 player server for $16
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby CrossXhunteR » Mar 16th, 2015 @ 11:12am

I remember signing up for the Firefall beta when it was first announced. After about 38 years of waiting, I finally got a key. Downloaded the client and never launched the game.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 16th, 2015 @ 11:36am

The problem with FireFall is no one wants to play FireFall
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Mar 16th, 2015 @ 11:54am

No one knows how good Firefall is.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 16th, 2015 @ 12:25pm

Dakazu and I played the beta and were not impressed
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Mar 16th, 2015 @ 12:40pm

Oh the beta. I see. I guess you know all about it then. I don't think there has been a single update to the game since then.
LiQuid

Postby kevinep3 » Mar 16th, 2015 @ 2:41pm

Planetside?
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby dakazu » Mar 16th, 2015 @ 3:17pm

Planetside would be pretty good. You can the largest group of people rolling around the map capturing/defending stuff and it's free to play. Just don't expect any real progression for unlocks unless you drop some cash.
dakazu

Next
Forum Statistics