Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: Dark Souls 3

Postby dakazu » Apr 26th, 2016 @ 11:06am

Did coop with Voltic over the weekend. Password system works like a dream. Killed the Crystal sage pretty easily.

Currently splitting my time between the chathedral and the poison swamp. They nerfed poison real hard in this game. It's probably the weakest it's ever been. The swamp itself is massive(as big as 5-2 in Demon's Souls) and filled with asshole enemies that are a pain to fight. Ran into some curse frogs as well. I've explored about 80% of it.

The cathedral is almost cleared. Did some coop phantom stuff to help others and the invasions were relentless. Will probably finish that area tonight.

BTW this game has so much stuff from the older games, it's kinda ridiculous. Certain NPC phantoms like Kirk and the Mad Butcher lady from the previous game keep invading. The connections to DS1 are huge and I'm not sure I'm a fan. I thought the really obscure connections from DS1 to DS2 were really neat. This feels too on the nose somehow.
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Apr 26th, 2016 @ 5:25pm

Forgot to mention this in the forums but I've fixed my framerate issues. Stupid Precision X16 software was fucking everything up. I had an older version that worked great and it must've self updated without me knowing. Rolled back again and everything is fine. Next time I upgrade I won't be getting a EVGA card.
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Apr 27th, 2016 @ 2:06pm

Cleared a reletively easy boss in the cathedral. Farming the boss there for some easy souls.

Currently using a fire spear and a dark axe. Fire is REALLY useful for a lot of enemies. Thinking about making a magic item because I'll now be putting a shit ton of points into INT but not sure what to use. Something one handed. I've always liked maces and morningstars but I want range so I'm thinking about the halbard.
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Apr 29th, 2016 @ 2:30am

Entered some Catacombs and I'm regretting my character specs. I might have to respec my character but that'll fuck with some quest lines so I'm waiting for now.

Made a Str build alt and he's pretty fun. Much more easy to use than my glass cannon sorcerer. Might make another one based on DEX because there's a lot of new crazy DEX weapons in this game.
dakazu

Postby dakazu » May 18th, 2016 @ 10:10pm

I'm rapidly approaching the end of this game and I have to say as a whole this maybe a better game than DS2 but I think I like the areas in DS3 the least.
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » May 18th, 2016 @ 11:37pm

The areas in Souls 2 are so so bad tho. How can 3 be worse?
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » May 19th, 2016 @ 11:44am

The Gutter from DS2 is still my favorite area in any Souls game by a landslide.
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » May 19th, 2016 @ 6:12pm

That's one good area in a game littered with fucking garbage areas that are trivialized by there being bonfires every ten feet, yet somehow the majority of them are still fuckawful annoying to traverse because of cheap enemy placement. You'll never convince me anything in 2 is better than the entire first half of 1. Even the best areas in DS2 are self contained in a way that makes them a total bummer. Like No Man's Wharf is a cool area and the payoff of calling in the ghost ship at the end is pretty cool but that place is 100% optional and complete cordoned off from the rest of the game.

Also, the Gutter isn't THAT cool. All those stupid poison statues are just fucking annoying and aside from 2 monster dogs the only enemies in there are low level shitty zombies. It's one of the only places that makes good on the dumb torch mechanic but that shouldn't earn it any brownie points. Damn that game is so half assed.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 19th, 2016 @ 7:09pm

Also, the Gutter leads into the Black Gulch, which is truly awful.
CrossXhunteR

Postby dakazu » May 20th, 2016 @ 12:00am

I'm not saying DS2 is better than 1 but I am saying I think the highs of DS2 are are better than DS3 and partly because of franchise fatigue. DS3 copies a lot of environments from DS1.
dakazu

Postby dakazu » May 22nd, 2016 @ 1:56am

Beat it. Mixed feelings about how it was and where it stands in the franchise.

I think I'm definitely feeling franchise fatigue at this point. The fact that DS3 reuses environment types plays into that a lot. All the weapons and armor from the last games were cool nostalgia touches but it also keeps the game from feeling fresh. Liquid was wondering about any branching paths but they're barely there. The progression is really linear and there's barely any traversal because of the warp system. There's a jail area that reminded me a lot of Demon's Souls world 3 and that was probably the area I enjoyed the most.

Also, they don't give you access to the really cool weapons/spells/armor sets til the end of the game. Instead of trying out the new weapons I just stuck with a magic katana that scaled with my INT build. Most of the new gear like the twin weapons are dex/faith based so those builds will have better access to the fun stuff.

Sad thing is this one plays the best. They kept the game systems that worked well in DS2 and created gameplay that's almost perfect. I didn't personally use the new weapon skills but they seem really useful and legit.

NPC questlines were kinda interesting but very confusing. Also the endings and general lore are REALLY confusing. I couldn't begin to tell you WTF happened in this game. Many of the covenants just seem like different PVP clubs with different farming rewards but there were so many of them and so much invasions it was driving me crazy in 1 section. PvP is a shit show on PC with the hacking problems as well.

None of the bosses really stood out to me this time they weren't balance for co-op at all. Some were super easy and others I can't imagine the grind to kill them solo.

Though this game does have the best fucking spell ever so that's a big plus.

I don't know if other people will share my opinion but this one kinda feels barely better than DS2. At least DS2 had some of my favorite environments.

It's hard to rank them because they each have their strong points

Demon's - Intro and therefore exciting new environments but shitty systems like world tendency
DS1 - Best interlocking level design
DS2 - Streamlined environments but has GOAT area The Gutter
DS3 - Best overall gameplay and world systems
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » May 22nd, 2016 @ 3:35am

The linear progression sounds like the fucking worst. For as awful as the areas in DS2 are, at least you could approach them in a few different ways. Not as open ended as DS1 with the master key but enough that you have 3-4 distinct ways you could start exploring right off the bat.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 22nd, 2016 @ 5:06am

And then there's Bloodborne.
CrossXhunteR

Postby dakazu » May 22nd, 2016 @ 12:07pm

Bloodborne is it's own thing. Even though they use the same basic battle systems they amped up the combat mechanic to be fast a furious and limited you to only use that play style. The weapon varieties were robust but you couldn't customize your character to be drastically different. Any magic spells would only complement your quick/heavy attacks and parry/dodge.

The hunter's dream is kinda sparse. Chalice dungeons were pretty boring(proving randomly generated souls games are bad). I personally dug the art style and world but it feels closer to DS2 world design.
dakazu

Dark Souls 3

Postby Aaronbam » Sep 11th, 2017 @ 11:53am

Anyone here play Dark souls 1 on PC?
I was kinda hoping to try some COOP with someone, even if it is slightly difficult to do.
I usually do most of my playtime during the weekends, since I'm so busy with class.

If you've never played this game before, you need to at least try it once and give it some time to progress.
You know, for the longest time, I just couldn't get into this game. But after I actually sat down and took the time to play through it, it's so hard to put down my controller.
DS2 just came out last Tuesday and it's been a blast. Just made it to the iron keep.PS3
I recommend trading bot for successful trading
Aaronbam

Previous
Forum Statistics