Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Dark Souls 3

Postby dakazu » Jun 16th, 2015 @ 7:53pm

I honestly wasn't too excited to hear this is coming out next year because I didn't want From Software to be pumping out annual releases but listening to Brad from Giantbomb talk about all the cool shit made me HYPE.

Things about Dark Souls 3
- 3rd game in a trilogy(hopefully that means no DS4)
- Weapons have multiple stances(different move sets like Bloodborne trick weapons?)
- there will be options to make character move even faster(possiblely as fast as Bloodborne)
- Greatsword with fighting game style launcher move
- shortbow with a quick shot to combo with melee strikes
- torch from DS2 is back but doesn't have a timer

After Bloodborne it'll be nice to create a custom character to fit my own play style. New weapons stuff has me thinking about all the new long range options I'll have in combat.

Also the developers mentioned Guts from Berserk by name.
Fucking Dope
dakazu

Re: Dark Souls 3

Postby LiQuid » Jun 16th, 2015 @ 11:34pm

Hard to take these impressions seriously from a guy who claims to be a Dark Souls fan but doesn't know who the Lord of Cinder is. Brad hasn't ever beaten any of these games has he? I remember he didn't get far in DS1, if the last time he played it was on his 24 hour live stream a couple years ago (he was stuck in the forest and at Capra Demon), and he quit playing DS2 part way thru to wait for the PC release which I wanna say he also didn't play very much of.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Jun 17th, 2015 @ 11:45am

Brad beat Demon's Souls for a Breaking Brad series on Giant Bomb. Also I don't see why impressions of game mechanics should be based lore knowledge? He's played all of the games so that's good enough for me.
dakazu

Postby Jenn04 » Jun 17th, 2015 @ 3:17pm

According to Oroboro's first impressions (Souls streamer on Twitch and Redditor) DS3 seems pretty promising:

+ Interconnected world like DkS1, highly explorable, no world hub (think Firelink Shrine), Miyazaki PERSONALLY TOOK OVER LEVEL DESIGN !!!
+ Slightly fewer areas than DkS2, but the areas have larger scale and are interconected
+ DS1 Kicking
+ DS1 Estus Speed
+ DkS1 style parries/backstabs/movement
+ Roll-backstab
+ Summon signs
+ Ragdolls
+ Firebombs

Even if he's sperging out and wrong, and it ends up like DS2, it'd still be a great game.
Jenn04

Postby dakazu » Jun 17th, 2015 @ 3:36pm

+ Interconnected world like DkS1, highly explorable, no world hub (think Firelink Shrine), Miyazaki PERSONALLY TOOK OVER LEVEL DESIGN !!!

This is great. Miyazaki was in charge of DS1 and Bloodborne and both those games have amazingly crafted interconnected areas.

DkS1 style parries/backstabs/movement

This actually sucks because PVP will be nothing but circle strafing and aiming for backstabs again :(

Roll-backstab

dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Jun 17th, 2015 @ 4:02pm

PVP? You mean Alt-F4?

If Miyakazi's really back in charge then great. DS2 sounds like the kind of shit-out sequel a B-team would produce when left to their own devices.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Jun 17th, 2015 @ 4:47pm

LiQuid wrote:PVP? You mean Alt-F4?

If Miyakazi's really back in charge then great. DS2 sounds like the kind of shit-out sequel a B-team would produce when left to their own devices.

I dunno, you should play at least some of it before saying that - it's really not THAT bad.
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Jun 17th, 2015 @ 10:54pm

I know it's hard to follow my few weeks worth of near constant shit posting about Dark Souls but I've PVP'd plenty and I'm 100% done with it now. Being invaded is such a nuisance. Literally the only time I'm ever in human form in this game I have a real good reason to be and being randomly attacked by someone isn't that reason. PVP should be completely opt in and not tied to any PVE mechanics of the game.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Jun 18th, 2015 @ 12:21am

I got invaded in DS2 in heavy PVP areas and they were pretty much all optional. They had a covenant designed around the Gargoyles and you would make crazy souls for fighting against invaders of those areas.

Besides you can always play offline if you'd like.
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Jun 18th, 2015 @ 3:26am

Playing offline isn't a solution. I still want orange markers and the ability to summon other players.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Jun 18th, 2015 @ 12:37pm

The souls games have always tied co-op eith some kind of alive/dead mechanic.

I hope they use the DS1 system in DS3. I liked how you didn't have a health penalty for being hollow and you had the choic to use summoning along with the risk of invasion.

Just don't go back to the Demon's Souls system.
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Aug 4th, 2015 @ 6:38pm

dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Mar 23rd, 2016 @ 9:20am

Really fucking disappointed to find out that this game uses the hub + branch level design of Dark Soul 2 instead of the organic, explorable, Castleroid layout of DS1. Really fucking disappointed. Watching the GB East guys stream right now and Austin literally just used a fucking bonfire to warp to the first area of the game. He didn't even run to it, he just warped there. If the rest of the game is like than then FUCK this game, seriously.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Mar 25th, 2016 @ 3:16am

That's really disappointing. The level/world design of DS1 is so impressive with how each environment connected with each other. Not a deal breaker for me but I guess people don't like walking from point A to B anymore.
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Apr 12th, 2016 @ 1:41am

Played around for about an hour. Couple 1st impressions.

*Doesn't really run smooth on my PC. I think my processor is the bottleneck which really sucks. Kinda makes me wish I was playing on PS4.

*Frame rate drops will kick you from the game. You literally get a message that says "Frame rate too low for online play. Returning to main menu". Happened to me in the middle of my 1st boss fight! Shit is REALLY DUMB. Don't remember if the other games did this but it really sucks.

*Camera control is sensitive and weird. Might be because of my 360 controller but there is a large dead zone in the center and when you push past it it reached MACH speed. Might be an issue of frame rate spikes but regardless it feels weird.

*Started with a Sorcerer and magic is still OP as fuck. You now have health and magic estus and can choose how many you allocate to each which seems like a cool idea.

*They've put more emphasis on quick rolls Bloodborne style. The roll itself didn't use up a lot of stamina and I think you can spam it more.

*Fireline Shrine has some cool stuff and NPCs
Spoiler: show
Blacksmith Andre from DS1 is back and the Firelink maiden has a mask that is reminiscent of the Maiden in Black from Demon's.

Gonna go read up stuff on the WIKI and checkout explaination behind some of the mechanics. Probably will be streaming on Wednesday if I can get my stupid frame rate taken care of. Pretty excited so far.
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Apr 13th, 2016 @ 2:18am

Played some more today. Still getting the message about frame rate. It's really annoying to constantly be kicked back to the main menu and then rebooting if you want online features.

Spent 20 mins wandering looking lost until I realized you need to use the warp to get to your 1st new area. I though they weren't going to have a hub world? At least the level design of the 1st area seems pretty good.

Did some summoning. Summoning is the best. Got to the boss. Frame rate message. Kicked to main menu... restarted me outside boss... so dumb
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Apr 13th, 2016 @ 2:51am

I can't confirm, but I've heard now from multiple people that say the first couple areas are hub world + warp and then it gets more open/interconnected. Seems REAL fucking cheesy to have to just warp to new areas at first tho. That seems super shitty especially if it does get more well designed later. Why not just open with the well designed stuff? I'm curious to hear what you have to report after you've played more of the game. Somehow I managed to talk myself out of picking it up for $60, but I think about it every day.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Apr 13th, 2016 @ 9:51am

Yo fuck this game. 99 max arrow carry limit?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Worst Souls game confirmed
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Apr 13th, 2016 @ 12:20pm

The fuck, actually?
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Apr 13th, 2016 @ 12:54pm

Here's Austin Walker's paragraph about the level layout:

While the world has the same geometrically-connected design that so many loved in the first Dark Souls, the opening areas seem more linear than previous games in the series. In actuality, each of the opening zones does have a number of ways through (and out), but it’s not something that is readily apparent in those early hours. Where Dark Souls 1 felt like an intricately designed vertical diorama and Dark Souls 2 was spread out on an impossibly broad plane, Dark Souls 3 gives the impression that it is a line, pulling you from one boss to another, towards finality.

I've heard people on GAF assure me it's more like DS1 than DS2, but this kind of vague language makes me worried still.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Apr 13th, 2016 @ 3:20pm

LiQuid wrote:The fuck, actually?

Carry max 99. Storage max 99.

Imma bout to boycot this bullshit
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Apr 14th, 2016 @ 1:39am

Played a little more today and beat the 1st area. Dropped my settings to low and was able to maintain enough frame rate to do a lot of co-op. Sadly it was still chugging at times...

Messed around with some weapon skills. Most weapons have a special move you can do by 2 handing them and using L2.

Swords will put you in a stance where your regular attacks break shield blocks and heavy attacks are sweeping launchers.
The long bow makes you extend your stance and shoot penetrating arrows that go through armor.

All of these attacks use the same blue meter as Magic and Attunement is the stat that effects your max blue meter.

Running through the 1st area as a phantom trying to farm the boss. The area seems really reminiscent of Undead burg from DS1 but I think DS1 just has more intricate level layouts. Nothing like the bridge with the dragon that leads back to the 1st bonfire in DS1. We'll see if this changes as I look at the next section.
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Apr 14th, 2016 @ 10:27pm

Showing off area 1 to darfox. Challenged a super hard enemy and died forgetting I had a shit ton of souls on me. Double died right in front of it.

It was 150000 souls, not 15000...
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Apr 17th, 2016 @ 4:08pm

This was depressing to see

LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Apr 17th, 2016 @ 10:50pm

Watching darfox play Bloodborne reminded me how that game is a lot closer to the level design of DS1
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Apr 19th, 2016 @ 3:15pm

Ran though a lot of undead settlement area last night. I'll probably fight the boss tonight after I wrap up exploring.

I was excited to find a path leading to a new area but it turned out to be the next area. So far each zone has a lot if interwinding pathes that are interesting but nothing like the dense level design of DS1's undead burg/parish/depths/firelink shrine/catacombs/londo ruins/darkwood garden.

Hopefully it'll change as I progress. Still really early and getting hella invaded!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Apr 20th, 2016 @ 10:45am

Beat the boss of the settlement. Still have some unfinished business there but moved on to the next section.

BTW this game is CRAZY with invasions. You don't get them in less you're embered (this game's version of unhollow) but as soon as I spawn at any ANY area bonfire I get invaded like crazy. Invaders get to use their estus as well which gives invades such a fucking advantage too.
Last edited by dakazu on Apr 26th, 2016 @ 1:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Apr 21st, 2016 @ 2:46am

Invasions pissing me off so much. I just want to farm bosses but every time I help beat one it embers me and then the invasions are nonstop. The connection lag is also shit so I get assholes warping around and backstabbing me out of the blue. Shit's just as bad as DS1 invasions but worse because they can estus.

I feel like I should go back to firelink and take a dive from high so I can be in hallowed state. Reminds me of doing the same stuff in Demon's Souls so the world tendency wouldn't go black.
dakazu

Postby BeowolfSchaefer » Apr 21st, 2016 @ 5:58am

Finished up (or at least opened the exit of) that god forsaken swamp, damn what a pain in the ass. First the water, then the poison, then the poisonous enemies then why not some cursing enemies as well right? Holy shit.
BeowolfSchaefer

Postby dakazu » Apr 21st, 2016 @ 10:34am

BeowolfSchaefer wrote:Finished up (or at least opened the exit of) that god forsaken swamp, damn what a pain in the ass. First the water, then the poison, then the poisonous enemies then why not some cursing enemies as well right? Holy shit.

You forgot the crabs. Fucking crabs
dakazu

Next
Forum Statistics