Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Monster Hunter - Let's Hun Some Mons

Postby LiQuid » Jul 18th, 2015 @ 2:21pm

The only Monster Hunter thread that matters.

I made a set of easy to farm blademaster armor (Rhenoplos) and I have been playing with an insect glaive. I was initially kind of weirded out because there weren't any other glaives I could forge from the tons of monster parts I had on me, but after fucking with it a little bit I see how it works now. You keep the same glaive (at least for now) but you feed the bug nectar (which I happened to have a ton of), which levels IT up and then you improve the glaive itself and do another level of nectars until eventually your BUG transforms. I need more mats to level up my glaive again but I can turn my bug friend into a moth or some kind of death beetle. It's weird but cool. I need to learn how to use the actual bug more in combat too. The weapon itself is twirly as fuck and its animations carry you a lot, so it's tough to get used to, but I really like it a lot. Being able to pole vault from flat ground seems potentially OP as fuck. I'm gonna be able to mount shit whenever I want without having to lure them to advantageous positioning. Can't wait to try this thing out on some large mon huns.

I wish one of you guys had told me about combo books. I dumbly assumed they were books that taught you weapon combos and I'm like, well I'll just watch a video for that, tyvm, but it turns out they increase your combo success rate to STUPID levels. I have so much fucking garbage from failed combinations and now all my shit is 95-100% success rate. THANKS FOR THE HELP, VETERAN PLAYERS.
LiQuid

Re: Monster Hunter - Let's Hun Some Mons

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 18th, 2015 @ 2:55pm

End up using all 20 of my mega potions and both of my max potions, plus an ancient potion trying to fight a Rathalos, but I still ended up failing the quest. I didn't even need to kill him, just capture. I didn't even see him limp though, then I placed a trap right when he left the area. After like 35 minutes, I finally got carted for the third time. His patterns are so much more bullshit than past games.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 18th, 2015 @ 9:26pm

I heard some weeb on a stream bitching about Rathalos. :lol:

How do you get so many potions? Can you eventually carry more than 10, or did you just have a stock of regular potions and honey on you? The 10 item limit sucks.

Ever since I started using the insect glaive I've seriously gotten the bug (get it???) for this game. I got a full suit of tetsucabra gear +2 and me and my bugbro fuck up all this noob shit so hard it's not even funny.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 18th, 2015 @ 10:49pm

Awesome!! IG is one of my main weapons, I've used it since I got the game. The buffs you get from sending out the bug are so broken it's great. Remember: the head always gives red! Mounting is also very OP, you can get so many free hits!! Welcome to the insect glaive club.

I would've mentioned the combo books but, well, I hate it when people point out ez stuff like that to me in games so I thought it was a mutual thing re: that. Whoops!
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Jul 19th, 2015 @ 12:04am

Good hunts Jen! 1 Jen is worth more than a Cross and a Voltic combined turns out. :lol:

I know I'm still a novice, but the glaive seems OP to the point where it's almost unfair to the rest of the melee weapons.. I watch people on streams using great swords and shit and I wonder why anybody would go thru all the bullshit of using such a clumsy weapon when the IG is fast and does so much damage when you have even just the red buff alone, not to mention double or triple juiced. Fucking forget it.

Positive side effect of picking up a melee weapon is that my hand pain (which was mostly caused from the bow necessitating my near constant pressing of the R button) has ceased and I can finally start the binge in full!
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 19th, 2015 @ 6:33am

If you want a melee weapon that abuses the "R" button, use the hammer.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 19th, 2015 @ 7:48am

Yeah, no thanks. I'm done with ABC (always be charging).
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 19th, 2015 @ 8:34am

Really? With a hammer you'd only be using the triple pound with the face buttons, charged hits are only good when the monster's down / asleep. Triple pound its head a few times and bam! Down for the count.

(I'm most likely totally wrong though, I only used it a few times in this game - I'm going by the PS2 / PSP games here)

I'm back home tonight so if you're up for some more hunting I'd love to help out!
Jenn04

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 19th, 2015 @ 9:16am

You kind of have it backwards. Charge hits are good to knock it down, and the damage from the triple pound is good to use when they are down for guaranteed damage. I believe the triple pound does more damage than the charged R super pound.
Even on PSP, the different charge attacks are good for quick hits. The triple pound can be easy to screw up, leading to misses or getting hit during an animation. Super pound from a fully charged R is relatively quick and also quick to roll away from. The half charge 1-2 hit is also a good, fast hit.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 19th, 2015 @ 9:22am

Ohhh okay, good to know. Thanks! Yeah, I never really used hammers haha!
Jenn04

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 19th, 2015 @ 9:37am

I went through a lot of MHFU with hammers as my go to blade master weapon. I did like to use a variety of things for different situations though.
CrossXhunteR

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 19th, 2015 @ 4:07pm

Jenn, I looked up that Star Knight armor. Shit is so crazy. And it looks pretty cool.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 19th, 2015 @ 10:53pm

So many mons hunned. Got a full new set of emodragon armor that kinda makes me look like a lady. It's hard to believe I played 6 games of Dota today half-paid attention to Evo and still hunned all them mons. Where did Sunday go?
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 19th, 2015 @ 10:54pm

This armor actually isn't very ladylike. I dunno what's up it was just kind of jarring going from the bulkier, giant-pauldroned tetsucabra set to this.

LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 20th, 2015 @ 7:08am

Monster Hunter X comes out November 28th... in Japan.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 20th, 2015 @ 8:42am

Took my first foray into the realm of online multiplayer with randos and the result far exceeded expectations. Put up a noob room for Gore got 2 other HR3 noobs and a G2 horn user that showed up. Some buff we were getting was making it so that we like never lost stamina. It was insane. Fought Gore and got the feeler break on the first try. I was quick to juice up and I mounted twice. Felt really good to not shit the bed with the pubs present. Got that feeler on the first try and now got my Gore glaive!

Not sure what the etiquette is when disbanding a hall after you got what you wanted from it so I just said thanks all and switched to offline. If I had more time I probably would have just invited everybody else to just post quests they needed for fun.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 20th, 2015 @ 9:15am

Yeah! Pub parties have a surprisingly high rate of success - sometimes you get some duds but that's expected. There's also a LOT of French people who play, not sure what's up with that. They always use IGs so if you see "Je suis monte!" well ... dommage. Grats on the feeler!

There isn't really any etiquette when leaving a hall; I know gaf and reddit think people should thank for the hunt & when people heal you during a quest but it's not really necessary. I'll thank and then leave if it's a good group, but if they're REALLY bad then just ditch them and move to a different room - bad groups can potentially waste an hour + of your time.

PS. Here is that quest list I pasted in the chat the other day, so you know which key quests need to be done to move up an HR!

Spoiler: show

The HR numbering system stops past HR7 though - once you finish that you're considered 'G Rank', and your HR number gets unlocked (ie - you get points added each time you do any quest and that increases your HR number - that's how people have such high numbers. You're collecting points right now! You just can't see them yet.). As soon as you unlock it you'll shoot up from HR7 to like HR50.
Jenn04

Postby Konanda » Jul 20th, 2015 @ 10:36am

I went up/I climbed or I am up? (hard to tell what tense that is supposed to be) Is that some saying French players say when they mount a monster? At least I think that is how that would be translated, poor grammar and all.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby LiQuid » Jul 20th, 2015 @ 11:09am

What are you even talking about, Konanda?
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 20th, 2015 @ 11:36am

Jenn04 wrote: "Je suis monte!"
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 20th, 2015 @ 11:41am

Oh, yeah that totally didn't need to be translated, but thanks I guess.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 20th, 2015 @ 1:16pm

For maybe only the 2nd time since I got MH4U I reset the software and got to see how much time I'd spent in it from the load game screen... Uh, does this game count time even when your 3DS is closed? :|
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 20th, 2015 @ 1:47pm

That's a good question; I don't see why it would though? -- but! It'd be interesting to see if it did.

re: French, that's the default message French players shout when mounting monsters. Don't blame me, blame the localization teams!
Jenn04

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 20th, 2015 @ 3:00pm

No, it doesn't. Or else my count would be way more than 30-ish hours.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 20th, 2015 @ 3:14pm

Welp I've officially played more MonHun than Cross.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jul 20th, 2015 @ 3:22pm

Implying Cross never played any of the older games
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jul 20th, 2015 @ 9:41pm

Do you have to do many of the expeditions as a part of the single player? I absolutely hate them.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 21st, 2015 @ 7:56am

Just killed the spider boss in the single player, so still catching up to where I am in the multiplayer. Single player monsters can be such a pain in the ass cause it's so hard for me to juice up. I spend 75% of the time in fights trying to get at least red juice on me. After that the mounting and slaying is SO quick. I can see why speed is the stat to raise on the kinsect. I fucking hate siccing him on some monsterface and having the monster nowhere in the vicinity by the time he gets there.
LiQuid

Postby Konanda » Jul 21st, 2015 @ 7:58am

I wasn't translating it for your benefit Liquid I was trying to figure out what it meant, because its really shitty French that is probably the result of poor localization. Like I think what they intended to say is "I am riding" or "I am mounted" but because they just did a word for word translation without regard to sentence structure or grammar it ended up being something like "I went up", which is confusing in itself.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby LiQuid » Jul 21st, 2015 @ 8:27am

Who cares?
LiQuid

Next
Forum Statistics