Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: Monster Hunter - Let's Hun Some Mons

Postby LiQuid » Oct 2nd, 2015 @ 11:36am

Practicing charge blade on high rank kushala and it turned what would have been a 5 minute hunt with an IG into a half hour hunt.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Oct 2nd, 2015 @ 11:38am

I need 2 more G Dalamadur rippers and then I never have to fight him anymore. He's surprisingly easy, or maybe I just had a good group? His beam attack doesn't OHKO but his lunge certainly does (or did, on some Brians).

After that I really want to farm that GX Hunter set, it looks incredible! I kinda knew about it before, but looking it up, it's like what Star Knight does for IG but instead it's a beast GS set. Waaaant
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Oct 2nd, 2015 @ 11:41am

Bai bai kaiser is already Star Knight for GS. I would never wear GX Hunter as a full set, it's awful. It's just really good for plugging in holes in mixed sets because of it's mix of skills and 3 slots per piece. Its availability makes so many more skill combinations available.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Oct 2nd, 2015 @ 12:23pm

Mixed sets? Gross, nevermind. The fashion hunter in me can't stand those.
Mixed look okay on male characters but the girl ones always look SO BAD - the only one I can stomach is NaKuNaKuNa but that set's been obsolete for some time now.
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Oct 2nd, 2015 @ 12:48pm

99% of people say it's the other way around. Female mixed sets don't tend to clash as hard. Male mixed sets make them look like rainbow clowns. Best part of AASS is being able to pick and choose an armor combo that looks least bad. Mixed sets are kind of the only way you can even hope to get HG plugs on most functional damage sets. The only good full sets in the entire game are Star Knight and chameleos. Did you check that video? Baibai kaiser on female actually looks good as long as you have the black belt helm instead of the skull visage. All the colors match, actually.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Oct 2nd, 2015 @ 12:53pm

A lot of torso up parts, which form the foundation of a lot of mixed sets, have pretty visually neutral design, with the exception of headgear. Gaijin Hunter mentions a G-rank torso up part in some Japanese DLC but I've never heard of it. The only 2 options are the skull mask, which makes your head a skull (good for me, probably bad for you), and the black belt helm which requires some high rank arena coins and its primary color is red/orange so it doesn't have a very neutral coloration.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Oct 2nd, 2015 @ 1:12pm

LiQuid wrote:99% of people say it's the other way around. Female mixed sets don't tend to clash as hard. Male mixed sets make them look like rainbow clowns. Best part of AASS is being able to pick and choose an armor combo that looks least bad. Mixed sets are kind of the only way you can even hope to get HG plugs on most functional damage sets. The only good full sets in the entire game are Star Knight and chameleos. Did you check that video? Baibai kaiser on female actually looks good as long as you have the black belt helm instead of the skull visage. All the colors match, actually.

I've had Athena's ASS on my computer for some time but never really used it; I'll check it out and see what's up though, thanks!

I did see the video, BaiBai Kaiser doesn't look bad. I don't really follow all of Gaijin's builds / videos so I never saw that one before. I think you might've convinced me haha and I've always shrugged off mixed sets. We'll see though. What have you done!?

Blackbelt helm, awaayyyyy
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Oct 2nd, 2015 @ 4:44pm

If you need those arena coins still take me with you.

I'll forewarn you, a lot of mixed sets that have HG Plugs start with Garuga Mail as a base and some people don't like the way that looks. I personally like it cause it's purple (mostly).
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Oct 3rd, 2015 @ 3:27am

Love when I get my set complemented and it's my fly ass DB set I made from scratch before I discovered Athena's.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Oct 3rd, 2015 @ 4:56am

Here's some female mixed examples. Some of them don't look great, but some of them look totally fine.

http://imgur.com/a/Zde4D

imo this one looks better than any of these full sets do individually.

LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Oct 3rd, 2015 @ 10:08pm

Yeah, there's only like 2 in that list that look pretty decent. I like how the dude who made the imgur is at least honest with how bad some of them look, haha!

So I made like Cross' brother and after experiencing what dirty cheaters have to offer, I deleted all but less than a handful of weapons and armors I added. The ones I kept, I researched legitimate stats other people have gotten (Which are incomplete sets that either use Torso Up or just mixed pieces) and edited them further (making the stats way lower than they were before, and also deleting pieces). Then I noticed I'm an idiot and actually had a few legit parts in my box already, shined them up (oh god the caravan points) and registered the sets to use whenever. Some of them glow!

I'm sure either way you guys still know I'm a dirty cheater, but now I'm only cheating like 4% of my total equipment box. lol
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Oct 3rd, 2015 @ 10:24pm

Instead of your game just being a raw sewage dump it's a swimming pool with a turd floating in it. Either way, not too fun to swim in.

Got my black belt helm today thanks to Cross helping me slay some tigrexes and gravioses, and some pubs helping me kill a couple D-Joes. Still down to do some more of those arena hunts if you guys need so I can get a gunner version as well.

I need divine spheres (and true spheres) so fucking bad. I saw a streamer with a stockpile of like 200+ divine spheres and all his armor was max level. So jealous. Why can't I be so successful with pub hunts that I'm living that life??
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Oct 4th, 2015 @ 6:58am

Elder dragon bones can kiss my white ass.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Oct 4th, 2015 @ 7:19am

LOL! Gross analogy.

Grats on the Blackbelt helm; the couple times I played yesterday I just kept running See No Evil, Hear No Evil with pubs. The first few times were great, but then the next set of Brians were terrible. I don't understand how someone is HR 400+ and can't handle a Rajang. Having traps and bombs didn't matter, this guy just kept running up, getting smacked, and wiping every time. So bad.

Divine Spheres are such a pain. I had a stock like that not long ago thanks to the endless Rajang / Teo / etc GQ farming with irl friends a while back. Stocks are running low now though. :(

I agree, Elder dragonbones suck so bad. Just help baby Brians with their elder dragons - if they're capable you should be OK! (HA)
Jenn04

Postby Jenn04 » Oct 4th, 2015 @ 7:28am

I can play now and just grind HR elders with you if you want? An HR7 Daora quest has the best drop rate.
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Oct 4th, 2015 @ 7:29am

I was fighting daoras with the noobs for bones and I kept getting tripped by retards so I went into pout mode and just stood still in the same areas as the monster and watched them battle around me while I was taking no damage from wayward tornados that managed to find me. Eventually I got tired of them taking all day so I just went and killed the damn thing, but clearly I was tilting from the 3 prior kills with only one bone dropped.

You need to start sending me a message when you're doing farming. I finished my GX blademaster set but I still need the gunner set. I got pretty lucky doing those rajang quests. First attempt, win, got ticket. Second attempt, win, got ticket. Then there were a string of failures as the brians fed relentlessly, but then when I finally got a 3rd success I got all 3 of the tickets I needed and I rejoiced. Honestly I don't even find rajang that hard to fight anymore, you just gotta not be a pussy and stand near/along the side of him and he barely ever hits you. Worst part about that quest is you have to fight the lesser monkeys with pubs you just KNOW are going to all drop dead the second rajang shows up. That 5 minutes of anticipation of the impending failure really adds a whole new dimension to hunting that damn thing haha.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Oct 4th, 2015 @ 2:08pm

:lol:

LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Oct 5th, 2015 @ 9:36am

LiQuid wrote:You need to start sending me a message when you're doing farming. I finished my GX blademaster set but I still need the gunner set. I got pretty lucky doing those rajang quests. First attempt, win, got ticket. Second attempt, win, got ticket. Then there were a string of failures as the brians fed relentlessly, but then when I finally got a 3rd success I got all 3 of the tickets I needed and I rejoiced. Honestly I don't even find rajang that hard to fight anymore, you just gotta not be a pussy and stand near/along the side of him and he barely ever hits you. Worst part about that quest is you have to fight the lesser monkeys with pubs you just KNOW are going to all drop dead the second rajang shows up. That 5 minutes of anticipation of the impending failure really adds a whole new dimension to hunting that damn thing haha.

What's a good way to reach you? If I sent a message via Discord would that be the best way? What about a Twitter direct message? HALP!

Omg you hit the nail on the head about See No Evil, Hear No Evil - that feeling of impending doom as you wait for the Rajang to drop from the sky and kill all the Brians is a feeling I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy ha.

I'm still keen on the idea of making mixed sets, but my all-purpose set is def. this GX Tempest. You feel like a ghost with DBs and dash juice. I took out bombardier (its buff was pretty minute) and added tremor resist since that gives me the most trouble. I'm debating whether to bother gemming out that HP penalty at all - I always eat for Max HP before a quest, or if it doesn't proc I drink a max potion before heading in. What do
Jenn04

Postby CrossXhunteR » Oct 5th, 2015 @ 10:11am

Liquid literally sits in Discord. That is probably the best way to hit him up.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Oct 5th, 2015 @ 10:13am

If I'm at the computer I see Discord and Steam 100% of the time.

The skills obtained from GX Tempest are trivial for a mixed set. You can get all of them with full S+1 and no HP penalty so, so, so easily.

GX Temptest/Kushala mix looks so good IMO:

Ladyversion:

LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Oct 5th, 2015 @ 10:25am

It's actually impossible to find any information on the few exhaust phial switch axes out there, other than a lot of people on message boards that hate them but aren't able to articulate why. Bucking the trend, I've created the molten tiggy, exhaust SA and built a set for it with evasion+3, evade extender, weakness exploit, speed sharpening, KO king, and sneak on it that looks pretty rad (some narga with 2 torso ups and diablos belt). The KO damage according to the reddit posts I've read is supposed to be minuscule, but the main feature of them is supposed to be the ability to keep the monster exhausted more often than standard weapons, sacrificing the damage you'd get from power/element phials, with higher base raw to compensate.

I just fought the caravan G-rank seregios with it to test it out and he spent almost the entire fight exhausted and I even knocked him out one time. I hate this monster, fighting him solo especially is really rough for me so I was actually kind of shocked how little he moved around during the fight. So initially it seems pretty cool, but that was just one hunt. I definitely have to try it out a lot more before I make a verdict on it. I just really hate this mentality that a lot of Monster Hunter players get into where they're elitist about shit and claim that not min maxing is playing the game wrong so I wanted to try something different. Helps that the molten tigrex switch axe looks baller as hell. Let's see if I can get away with using this thing with the pubs online. I feel like I've been kicked from rooms for less. :lol:
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Oct 5th, 2015 @ 10:44am

The bad thing about exhaustion is that as soon as the monster enrages, it doesn't do anything. I've gotten most of the upgrades for the Grisaxe.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Oct 5th, 2015 @ 10:52am

Traded sneak and speed sharpening for stamina thief. This version of the set is way better, and I wish I'd known about stamina thief earlier because I had to farm blue kelbi horns in order to make ninja jewels which was a pain in the dick. Sneak was pointless anyways.

A lot of things don't do anything when a monster enrages. Exhausting it makes the times when it's not enraged a whooole lot easier to fight tho.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Oct 5th, 2015 @ 11:00am

Yeah, some of my favorite parts of using hammers is exhausting monsters quicker. They are so laughable to fight when exhausted, sitting still and literally tripping over themselves, just waiting to die.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Jenn04 » Oct 5th, 2015 @ 1:49pm

Never even knew there were exhaustion swaxes, nevermind the monhun community shitting on them left and right. Huh, you learn something new every day!

That mixed set with Tempest looks sick; will def. try it out. Heat Cancel potential as well ... so great!
What I meant with the health bonus is that it's trivial - just thinking (typing?) aloud on whether it's even worth having gemmed out at all.
Jenn04

Postby Jenn04 » Oct 5th, 2015 @ 1:55pm

Even so, it's going to be tough moving away from the full set... it's so pretty...
Jenn04

Postby Jenn04 » Oct 6th, 2015 @ 10:19am

3 posts in a row, wow!

I put together that mixed set; instead of Speed Sharpening + Tremor Res I had a decent Earplug talisman to use, and now have HG earplugs, as well as Focus and Heat Res. SO GOOD!
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Oct 6th, 2015 @ 1:53pm

I've been fucking with my evasion+3 set lately and Cross was right, most of the time you can evade right thru roars. That's still rad that you fit both of them on the same set.

Even tho it's so fun, I'm so so so bad at evade lancing. You're actually literally invincible as long as you're spamming the evade button and I still manage to die so much because I'm so bad at positioning it. Also I've found that getting deflected wrecks your shit badly too, so evade lancing on apex monsters is a death sentence for me.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Oct 6th, 2015 @ 1:55pm

An axe I'm making needs drops off of a G-rank savage joe and from my searching it looks like it's only possible to fight them in rare, G-rank expeditions...? What the fuck?
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Oct 6th, 2015 @ 2:14pm

LiQuid wrote:I've been fucking with my evasion+3 set lately and Cross was right, most of the time you can evade right thru roars. That's still rad that you fit both of them on the same set.

That's true, but with DB I always pop a dash juice and just X+A on the mon over and over until my gauge is full - it just prevents the dumb roar from ruining my combo.

If you're farming Jho GQs tonight I might be able to join you - but it won't be until around 11:30 or so. :(
[Edit: I'm an idiot. Expeditions != GQs Jenn, you dumdum.]
Last edited by Jenn04 on Oct 6th, 2015 @ 3:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenn04

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics