Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: Monster Hunter - Let's Hun Some Mons

Postby kenzo » Jul 21st, 2015 @ 9:13am

Konanda wrote:I wasn't translating it for your benefit, b-b-b-baaaaka! :oops:

Sure, Ko. :lol:
kenzo

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 21st, 2015 @ 9:13am

LiQuid wrote:Do you have to do many of the expeditions as a part of the single player? I absolutely hate them.

Only if you need Caravan points; you get them automatically for now, but later quests don't give them to you (you'll need lots of them later as you play). Speed upgrades for your bug is so great!

Last night / this morning I finally beat Act of Gog (pugs wipe on it all the time, been trying to beat it for the past 3 weeks), which unlocks more tradable monster parts. I only need to beat Gogmazios one more time and then I have enough parts to get a Dire Miralis set. So pretty...

Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Jul 21st, 2015 @ 1:33pm

YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS!
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 21st, 2015 @ 3:28pm

Congalala farted on me. :(
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 22nd, 2015 @ 3:52am

Had some good hunting with Liquid yesterday, and Jen also joined us at a point. I still find the Rathalos to be a giant pain in the ass compared to MHFU, but we hunted a few of them. Managed to get 3 plates from the guy, all from different sources.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 22nd, 2015 @ 7:47am

I managed to pull enough shit off that dude to make a full armor set! Also got his switch axe via upgrading the starting axe, and just using a bunch of materials I already had on hand. I love how easy it is to just jump to other weapons to experiment with them.

Switch axe is definitely a weapon for me. You move around a BIT slow with it drawn for my tastes, but you evade really quick with it out. It seems like it would require big, lumbering swings to do its damage, but once you get its combos going, those swings come out so fast. Both the axe and sword forms have a combo where you just stand there in place savagely swinging which is so good for downed monsters. I've been using it to clean up the HR1/2 junk quests that I've skipped over while advancing and it's felt very powerful. It does require a LOT more sharpening than my glaive does. Also, not having the pole vaulting ability from the glaive absolutely makes me feel fucking naked in this game. Having to actually look for high ground to jump off of is TEH WURST! Oh and be-fucking-ware if you get near me while I'm going nuts with this thing. I feel bad for my poor cats when they're dumb enough to get near me while I'm doing my work.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 22nd, 2015 @ 8:23am

You can do jump attacks off of even the tiniest ledges, as long as you roll or run off them. There are usually plenty of opportunities for jump attacks even if it doesn't look like it.

On the subject of fucking up your fellow hunters with your attacks, I sent Jen flying so many times yesterday with my charge blade. The transform mode has an infinite combo that you can do of alternating upward and downward slashes, and the upward slash will apparently launch any hunter caught by it.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 22nd, 2015 @ 8:44am

Looks like they're straight up adding jump attacks to all the weapons in MHX. To be honest that seemed like WAY too severe an advantage for IG users that I'm completely not surprised to learn that.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 22nd, 2015 @ 9:21am

Damn those upswings!! (nah it's fine, but a lot of people rage over those wowee).

MHX looks incredible; I watched the gameplay clips GaijinHunter put up the other day. There were rumors beforehand that the game was going to be very different from other MH titles, but it looks exactly the same - albeit more flashy and (as you said) everyone can jump and vault themselves upward.

Seeing Forest & Hills from MH1 / MHP made me smile. haha

Switchaxe is fun, but you're right compared to IG it makes you feel 10x slower - it hits much harder though, so that makes up for it!
Jenn04

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 22nd, 2015 @ 9:30am

I think MHX has 2 or 3 play styles. One similar to old MonHun games, and something new.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 22nd, 2015 @ 9:41am

The ONLY thing I don't like about the SA so far is the movement speed with it unsheathed, but even that seems like it's only to serve as a balance for the retarded damage you do with it. I went on an expedition with this thing and using the sword mode's standing XAXAXAXAXAXA combo I was DECIMATING all the mons that showed up. I plowed thru a gendrome, g.jaggi and a seltas in like literally seconds each. It was like I was cutting my way thru trash mobs, they didn't even have time to limp or retreat, they just died.

Cross, I keep forgetting to swap guild cards with you when we're online. Jen and Voltic have been slaving away on hunts for me, I need to get you in on the action.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 22nd, 2015 @ 1:09pm

I've been doing expeditions out of necessity (need to get seeds so I can dupe items), and I still don't like them (let's take everything cool about this game, but squish it into a boring corridor), but the axe is making them way more tolerable cause the shit dies so damn fast. I know I technically could just skip killing all the mons, but I'm OCD so I have to fight them when they show up, plus I'm seeing a lot of stuff I haven't fought a lot in single player yet (the rock monster and the Yan Kan Kook bird). The only mon that's even been able to run from me has been the rock monster cause I think it might be resistant to both blades and fire, the double whammy I'm using to smoke all this shit like some sticky ganj.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 22nd, 2015 @ 1:50pm

The baby rock monster (Basarios) and Yan Kan Kook can only be fought in those areas, that's why they keep showing up - I don't think they show up in normal single player (aside from that tutorial Research' stuff) but I could be wrong. You'll notice that when you beat so many expeditions it says you unlocked Guild Quests - that's considered the end-end-game of this ver. of Monster Hunter.

tl dr; you do hunts (like you have been in single player) but in the expedition map, and in co-op. Each clear levels up the monster's difficulty & gear from rewards. There's potential to find 'Relics' (armor / weapons with random attack / elements - can either be crappy stuff or extremely OP). Totally RNG based but the rewards aren't too bad!
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Jul 22nd, 2015 @ 1:55pm

Aha, I was wondering what guild quests were. How do you eventually access them? Is that a gathering hall thing? Is that what it means to get "G rank" in the multiplayer?

I've been trying to find abrasive for polishing relics and that website says they are in expeditions, but I've done like 4 expeditions now and not seen a single one and I've been gathering every single node in them. I've got a ton of relics sitting around taking up space.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 22nd, 2015 @ 2:25pm

Wall of text incoming:

LiQuid wrote:How do you eventually access them?

- You have to register them; you can do that by going to Guild Quests in your menu, and then Manage. You need to move them from the Pool to Registered in order to run them.

LiQuid wrote: Is that what it means to get "G rank" in the multiplayer?

- Mmm kind of. Guild Quests are more like post-G Rank: it can be extremely difficult, but the gear's potentially better than any other legit piece you could craft. You need to level them up to about 120+ to start getting the sweet stuff - but the levels are locked until you get higher ranks in multiplayer.

Here's how G Rank works:

Say you finish 7-star in the current Gathering Hall, get your HR unlocked, and are now HR50 or whichever. You'll then get access to a different gathering hall. Visit it and they'll give you a nice red G1 next to your name. The second phase of quests begin - and are the 2nd hardest in the gaem! Quests here are arranged by G1, G2 and G3 - it's more the same formula; do key quests under G1, unlock urgents, get to G2, etc.

Once you finish G3's last key quest, you'll get a Bronze Crown next to your name, and a Scroll key item. The scroll will have letters (10 or so) that need to be translated; you do G Rank quests to translate letters (any quest is fine, as long as you kill a monster in it - EDIT: some high ranks also work). When you finish a scroll, you trade it in for a different scroll with more letters, and you get a special quest.

After 6 scrolls, you unlock silver crown ... 5 scrolls after that, you unlock Gold Crown!

Harder G Rank quests are locked based on which crown you have, so grinding for all the crowns lets you access all content, and unlocks level limits on Guild Quests. Phew!
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Jul 22nd, 2015 @ 5:21pm

Man I just killed some koala gopher in the ice level that was sliding around on his belly. It was the multiplayer version too so he was fucking hard as hell. Bitch never fucking stops moving and I couldn't fucking mount him even once on that flat ass map. What an annoying fight I wish I had my glaive on for. Still fucked him up tho. Fuck you, koala.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 22nd, 2015 @ 5:45pm

Lagombi was easy as hell for me. Didn't get hit the first time I fought him.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 22nd, 2015 @ 11:25pm

I dunno if I buy that. I just killed the single player version of it and even that was a pain in the ass. He died fast as hell to my fire axesword but he still moved around so fucking much he's annoying to hit.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 23rd, 2015 @ 8:39am

Custom Quests are popping up all over online; most seem to be people just DLing Japanese DLC quests that aren't released yet and hosting them (I guess the network doesn't verify quests so people can just post whichever?). Reddit and GAF are saying be careful with some of these pug event quests though, some are edited and can give you endgame parts and others give you so many points you can potentially get HR999 in one quest.

Anyhow I ran a JP Gogmazios quest a pug hosted a few nights ago, which was lovingly called '???????'.It was challenging, and there was a single death (mine :( ), but we beat it! The rewards were legitimate items, but included weird tickets for an armor set called GX Tempest - don't have enough to craft it though. :(
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Jul 23rd, 2015 @ 9:35am

Haven't done any multiplayer with randoms aside from that first time against Gore, but I don't need any fucking cheaters fucking up my game so I'll stick to hunting with you guys.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 23rd, 2015 @ 12:08pm

I have a sincere question. Why do Japanese people constantly want me to carry things while trying to avoid getting hit by other things for fear of dropping my thing and having to start to the carrying over from scratch?
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 23rd, 2015 @ 12:27pm

They hate you specifically. That is why all quests that are not "go kill this big monster" are the worst.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 23rd, 2015 @ 1:38pm

Doing that thing I did with GiantBomb's Dark Souls videos where I revisit them after learning more about the game to see how dumb all those guys are. I just noticed Jason saying he's a fan of the "switch blade" does he mean the charge blade?! or the switch axe?! Nobody knows but Jason, Monster Hunter Expert! :lol:
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 23rd, 2015 @ 2:12pm

Doing all(!) of the singleplayer's carry quests unlocks a hefty High Rank quest later, which is a Crimson Fatalis (big dragon that drops fire from the sky and slimes / blastblights you). You can use his parts to start putting together some of the best endgame weapons (not incl. relics). He's in multiplayer (as DLC), so you don't really have to do them anymore unless you want chievos / are a completionist (like all good Monhan players are haha).

Those GB videos sound really bad, wow.
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Jul 23rd, 2015 @ 3:55pm

They're funny. Those guys mean well but they're not hardcore gamers.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 23rd, 2015 @ 4:37pm

Starting to get a lil bit annoyed at the amount of functionality this game seems to be locking behind doing the single player stuff. For a game that's so lauded for its multiplayer you would think they would allow you to advance only in that mode without needing to do the single player stuff but they're totally separate and both pretty important to just unlocking all of the game. I think maybe I need to stop doing a lot of useless grindy stuff and just going ham on all the quests I have available just to open up the game fully.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 23rd, 2015 @ 5:05pm

LiQuid wrote:Starting to get a lil bit annoyed at the amount of functionality this game seems to be locking behind doing the single player stuff. For a game that's so lauded for its multiplayer you would think they would allow you to advance only in that mode without needing to do the single player stuff but they're totally separate and both pretty important to just unlocking all of the game. I think maybe I need to stop doing a lot of useless grindy stuff and just going ham on all the quests I have available just to open up the game fully.

It's funny because in every other game that was the case; you could access everything without having to touch the single player campaign at all. I remember in 3U I just did hundreds of hours in online, then eventually burned through single player with stuff that was waayyy too strong. I agree, I wish they didn't do that for this one, but they wanted 4/4U to be more 'story oriented' :( Eventhough the story is MonHan tier - dumb and not worth it haha.

What stuff is locked right now? If it's not multiplayer high rank I could run those with you and get you geared enough so you can breeze through the story until Caravan 10-star (I think?)
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Jul 23rd, 2015 @ 5:13pm

It's nothing even major. I'm just noticing stuff like now Street Cook wants me to do a quest in order to get a spit that he can use to BBQ my meat. That's just a convenience/time saver thing, but then I think of all those bullshit quests I started up JUST so I could cook 10 steaks and how much time that would have saved me from doing dumb shit. I dunno anything else specifically because I haven't encountered it yet, but like the artifact stuff, the amulets, decorations, felyne companions and their associated mini games and armor creation. That should just be stuff available from the get go.

Honestly, given this game's reputation, it's probably for the better that they ease people into it with the single player the way they do. I don't know much about the previous games, but the way this game is set up seems to be WAY more user/noob friendly than I had been lead to believe. It's just a liiiittle frustrating because I'd like to get this stuff over with so I can just go full time on the multiplayer and become a god. It's not hard (all the gearing up I've been doing with you guys has made the single player trivial for the most part) but it's becoming a bit rote. Like I just killed one giant spider, I don't really want to do 2 at once just to get to the next quest in the sequence. I'd rather do that kind of quest online.

edit: oh, I just thought of another good one, the Wycoon! Having the multiplication vendors in there be gated by single player progress is ASS.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 23rd, 2015 @ 6:25pm

I just had the worst time fighting a khezu for the first time. I was expecting an ice monster and got a thunder monster and with the armor I had on (rath set) he was fucking me upppppppppppppppppp. He's also just fucking annoying to fight cause he climbs shit like a fuck. I don't want to fight him anymore.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 23rd, 2015 @ 10:55pm

Gore fight solo was tough but I did it and got a feeler and tail break. I don't think his own armor is very strong against him,
LiQuid

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics