Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: Monster Hunter - Let's Hun Some Mons

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 24th, 2015 @ 11:40am

LiQuid wrote:I just had the worst time fighting a khezu for the first time. I was expecting an ice monster and got a thunder monster and with the armor I had on (rath set) he was fucking me upppppppppppppppppp. He's also just fucking annoying to fight cause he climbs shit like a fuck. I don't want to fight him anymore.

W-well --

LiQuid wrote:Gore fight solo was tough but I did it and got a feeler and tail break. I don't think his own armor is very strong against him,

Nice, grats! Some monster armor sets are weird like that; thankfully most aren't though.
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Jul 24th, 2015 @ 1:03pm

When I first started playing this I wished so bad I was playing it on PC or a console but after a couple weeks I think this is the perfect DS game and I wouldn't want it any other way. This game alone kind of vindicates my having bought this dumb 3DS. So easy to play this in 15-20 minute spurts over the course of the day.

I needed a water/ice weapon cause I started fighting a lot of stuff in the lava area so instead of just sticking to a weapon I was already familiar with I decided to try a brand new kind of weapon so I made a water elemental hammer and have been using that. It's actually quite simple to use but hooooly crap is it satisfying to unleash a fully charged wallop on some monster's shitty face.

I think I'm going to keep doing this, just trying a new weapon every time I get enough parts to make one of comparable level to the main ones I'm using or just need one of a new element. I did the tutorials for all of em and honestly the only weapons I didn't like at all were the bow guns (but at the time I was using the circle pad pro to aim them and it felt HORRIBLE while using B to shoot, I didn't think to try the d-pad, which probably would have been more intuitive). I wish I could switch to my bow again but I don't want to have to spend the mats on getting a set of useful gunner armor.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 24th, 2015 @ 1:30pm

Hammers are pretty bad for elemental damage. Element does damage per hit, so Raw is better on the slow weapons, while element is better of the fast hitting weapons.
CrossXhunteR

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 24th, 2015 @ 6:26pm

Liquid and I both got to High Rank today. Fought a Tigrex and a Gravios by ourselves. Fuck the Mohran or whatever his name is.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 24th, 2015 @ 7:16pm

Sweet! Yeah, the Mohran is the worst. ;___;
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Jul 24th, 2015 @ 7:36pm

I put my bow back on to do some junky quest where I had to kill a bunch of flying bugs and man I miss using bow but all it took was that one quest (fought a seltas too) and the trigger finger pain coming back and I realized how much easier it is using weapons with the X/A buttons rather than just holding R the whole time (which is kind of a problem on the hammer too, only to a lesser extent). I keep trying to go to type 1 bow controls to use X to shoot/charge, but it never ever feels right with the circle pad pro.

Kind of disappointed that all the 4 star high rank quests are just to kill harder versions of the same monsters you fight in the beginning of the game. Even worse is how much better the upgraded versions of their gear is compared to the stuff I'm using. I'm over wearing monkey fur. I don't want to look like that anymore. I want to keep wearing my rathian armor, but that monkey shit is like fucking double the defense of the stuff I got on now! I don't want to go back thru another cycle of using noob armor. :(
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 24th, 2015 @ 8:03pm

Yeah I agree; it's really dumb - it'll happen one more time in this game when you hit G Rank where there's another tier of fighting those monsters, but after that it's allllll elder dragons, baby! The step up from Low Rank to High Rank, (and ofc HR to G) are huge steps up, but honestly right now you only need a few sets to survive.

Don't sweat over equipment until you hit G when the real grind & min-maxing begins; if anything right now just concentrate on getting 1-2 sets, and just upgrade your weapons as you burn through HR.

Honestly during HR I used the HR Tetsu set, then the HR Gore set, and then the HR Crimson Fatalis set (mostly cause I was so happy I soloed him haha). When I hit G was when I really started looking at cool purdy sets.
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Jul 24th, 2015 @ 8:36pm

:lol: I ate some bad food and now I'm stumbling all over the gathering hall. How do I fix this?
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 24th, 2015 @ 9:24pm

Got carried thru HR4 and into HR5. You can tell I was supposed to have better gear by the end of that by how bad the pink rathian was whoopin my ass. That guy took me into some raging rojang fight or something and holy shit that guy was super saiyan. I got a bunch of hits in and managed to dodge almost all of his stuff, but he shot some lazer beam at me that killed me from 100% to dead instantly. :( still got some carves in on that bad boy!

Gotta put pink rathian on farm to get that set!
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 25th, 2015 @ 9:01am

So one of the food abilities always spawns you in a "hidden" area of the map. I've done it a couple times and it puts you in a place that has a lot of hidden gathering nodes and I've gotten some pretty rare talismans from them. Is the only way to get to these points to use the food skill? I tried to get back to the one in area 9 of the volcanic hollows, but there doesn't seem to be a way to climb up there.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 25th, 2015 @ 10:10am

I think there is normally a random chance to spawn there. It is only high rank and up though, I believe.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 25th, 2015 @ 10:22pm

Monster Hunter.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 26th, 2015 @ 1:09pm

Hunting prath with pubs. I'm kind of on fire. I haven't died in 2 hunts and I'm trappin and tranqin like I've been doing it my whole life. No drops yet, and waiting for the inevitable feed to start. I can't maintain this hot streak all day...
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 26th, 2015 @ 1:44pm

I think you did 12 or 13 Pink Rathian's yesterday. I still need one more inferno sac.
CrossXhunteR

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 26th, 2015 @ 2:47pm

Did a pub hunt for Pink Rathian. Got another Ruby.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 26th, 2015 @ 9:56pm

Everything's coming up LiQuid in MonHun today!

Got my plate and ruby, so my rath heart mail set is done (I'm so pretty in pink!) and all 5 pieces are leveled up to 5 with all the spheres I've been hoarding.

I managed upgrade my rare 3 fire switch axe into a rare 5 fire switch axe with some junk drops off HR Rathalos. Oh and my new armor and talisman gives me Fire Atk +3, so it hits like a truuuuuuuck.

Also upgraded a few of my bows and got a full high rank monkey suit so I can switch back to gunner with some half way respectable gear. I haven't tested out any of the bows yet, but I've got 3 of them that seem pretty nice. I'll go fuck with them in caravan missions to see which are good. One of them was made with pink rathian shit, so it's pretty high level!

All this upgrading and forging has made me fucking broke. I might actually need to look into selling some junk finally or look into some ways to farm coin.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 27th, 2015 @ 1:56am

I finally know what it's like to fail one of the AI-lead guild card quests, thanks to Cross. Couldn't even kill a great jaggi man. Shameful.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 27th, 2015 @ 10:38am

I knew I should've joined yesterday. .____.
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Jul 27th, 2015 @ 8:02pm

Jumping around random online halls. Someone posts azure rathalos. Kill it. Get ruby. :cry:
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 27th, 2015 @ 8:43pm

Just when I finish a set I find another set I want already. I need to kill some more azure rathalos. I think I have the only rare drops needed to finish the set, just need some more common drops off of it.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 28th, 2015 @ 1:01am

Fighting 2 lagombi for the high rank 5 quest to unlock the frozen seaway harvest tour by myself is probably the hardest thing I'll ever do in this game. I had just switched over from my gunner gear and forgot to readjust my item loadout so I didn't have a single whetstone on me. Fought one of them with a dull axe for about 15 minutes until supplies arrived. By the time I was nearly done with the 2nd one I was completely out of healing items except for a single herb that my cats had dug up for me. I never want to fight another one of those fucking things as long as I live. Their moveset would be annoying enough under normal circumstances, but having to fight them in frozen seaway where there ain't a god damned motherfucking thing to jump off of to mount them takes it to whole new levels of irritation. Fought both of those fucking things without a single mount. Just chasing them around like a fucking idiot while they slid from one side of the area to the other. Getting in 2-3 hits at a time before they buttstomped me or did their stupid spinning slide that's literally impossible to dodge, then rinsed and repeat for the nearly full allotment of 50 minutes. God fucking damn it.

But hey, at least I unlocked the ability to go farm novacrystals for hours until I can upgrade my weapon! What a fun game!
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 28th, 2015 @ 11:02am

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/28/mo ... e-monster/
New MHX news, including a look at a new monster design. These are the 4 styles in the game.

Liquid, I can't believe you have issues with Lagombi.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 28th, 2015 @ 11:35am

Go do to the HR5 quest where you have to kill 2 of them and come talk.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 28th, 2015 @ 2:06pm

Having trouble with Lagombis?

Spoiler: show

MHX seems interesting, love how it like caters to every play-style. I was thinking of staying with the classic mode if it ever came out here... but Bushido and Arial sound too great to pass up - auto mounting or lolvade? Perfect. Much excite!
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Jul 28th, 2015 @ 2:36pm

Talk all you like, but I'm only HR5, doing an HR5 multiplayer quest where I had to kill 2 of them, with them often in the same area, with said area having zero platforms to jump off of for mounts, was a fucking pain in the ass. Switch axe is built to do a lot of fast hits, but only on stationary targets. Lagombi move around fucking constantly. When you have to move around with the SA it's slow as hell. ...And anyways, I beat it on the first try with almost no supplies, so fuck the both of you. Make sure you leave your stack of whetstones at home when you do this quest Cross, you fucking braggart piece of garbage.

As for MHX, I don't understand why they're segmenting it into separate styles. Why can't you just be capable of all of them at any time? Having to select a style sound super fucking janky and dumb, but I guess that's how Japan likes it.

I want to hunt some azure rathalos where my niggaz at?
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 28th, 2015 @ 3:13pm

For real tho, what the fuck is up with all the French people in this game??? I don't get it.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 28th, 2015 @ 4:31pm

Joined a random hall. Killing Rathalos, I get a ruby from a tail carve. Slowly, everybody in the room starts disconnecting. Now it's just me. Rathalos is dead, but I gotta kill a HR rathian by myself now in order to close out the quest to keep my tear. :(
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Jul 28th, 2015 @ 7:00pm

LiQuid wrote:...And anyways, I beat it on the first try with almost no supplies, so fuck the both of you. Make sure you leave your stack of whetstones at home when you do this quest Cross, you fucking braggart piece of garbage.

LOL! I'm not gonna take that bait - wait until you solo the last of the high ranks. G Rank mons are a whole nother story if you're going to try those solo. Those Lagombis are going to feel like fucking nothing after you run those, trust me.

I want to hunt some azure rathalos where my niggaz at?

I'm white.
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Jul 28th, 2015 @ 10:40pm

In my box I found a talisman that's like +7 expert and with my new armor set and a +3 and +5 decoration I'm at +30 now and the game has proclaimed me a CRITICAL GOD! Had to do the HR5 Najarala quest by myself for an ingredient I needed for the +5 decoration. Doing these HR5 quests by myself is god damned hard. I feel like you should get some kind of bonus for doing multiplayer shit by yourself. I don't think you make enough money from them to offset the cost of all the potions and tools you use hunting shit in them.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 28th, 2015 @ 10:42pm

You know, actually I should probably just actually do the single player shit and catch up to the level I'm at in the multiplayer so I can just fight easier versions of this shit. Does the single player campaign go all the way up to G-rank leveled monsters?
LiQuid

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics